Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I like that Brian Young is playing the tunes exactly like the albums. I wish Eddie would do a better job of this (if he ever does anything again...) in concert. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

boring.... i could just sit at home and listen to the album... mix it up a little! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by F'nRockstar:
    boring.... i could just sit at home and listen to the album... mix it up a little! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I agree to a point...but I saw Ratt with Warren Demartini and he didnt play ANY of his solos from the CDs, it just sounded like he improvised them all on the spot. As a guitarist, I understand artistic pursuits...but some leads are as much a part of the song as a lyric or melody. It's nice to hear the familiar notes, only with some embellishments and some FIRE!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like when they change things up a little. I've heard the album version a million times already (and he's already played it even more); hearing something new in there is part of the magic of live shows. Kinda like listening to Vic's interpretation of some of the Van Hagar stuff... a whole new look at the same tune, knaamean? [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...<br /><br />"What kind of FUCKED up tour is this???" -John Love, Jr., <i>The Rock</i>

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Improv on the solos and jams is great, don't get me wrong.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by dirtymovies:
    I like that Brian Young is playing the tunes exactly like the albums. I wish Eddie would do a better job of this (if he ever does anything again...) in concert. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Live music is much better when it is played with feeling and inspiration in the moment, not when they musician is using rote memorization to try and copy what he (or someone else) did years ago in a sound studio.

Rock concerts are about the moment, not about making carbon copies of a cd.

I prefer it much more when a musician mixes it up and actually tries to take some risks on stage.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree, the whole idea of going to see somebody live is seeing something a little different than the album.
    I went to a Huey Lewis concert (The wife likes him, what can I say). He played each song just like the album, and had no stage act either. I wasted a bunch of money, when I could have just bought the albums and put them in the CD player and had the same thing. Chicago was the same way. Even AC/DC, to me, was the same way.
    I saw Sammy play a funky version of Cabo Wabo a couple of years ago, and it was so cool. A different interpretation (Sp?) of the same song.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

This is one of my pet peeves with Ed in the Sammy years. I saw them 2 times on the Fair Warning tour and 2 times on the WACF tour. He improvised most the solos unless it was a really melodic written out solo.

All those solos you know and love were improvised in the studio. He probably recorded 3 or 4 improvs and they picked the best ones. Improv is where magic happens.

Nothing is worse than seeing a band re-creating the albums note for note. Which is pretty much what was done on the FUCK tour I saw.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From both the footage I've seen from the Dave years and the live shows I've seen from the Sammy and Gary years, I've yet to see Ed do the same old solo during songs (although he could've changed up his actual solo over the years.) Eddie is the king of having feel during a show, which I felt sometimes bordered on genius.

It's the whole "falling and landing on your feet" vibe that he is a master of. Check out the solo on the "So This Is Love" video, or the FWYS solo on RHRN. That's the kind of shit that it's all about. If you go to shows to see him do the exact same solos, like his Atomic Punks clone is doing with Dave right now, you're the lamest Van Halen fan I've ever heard of. I'm not saying he's done that every show. But I've always been surprised a few times whenever I've heard him play.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Eddie always took his little signature licks and kept using them in his solos, but rarely did he do a solo live note for note. I agree the magic in a guitar player is what they can do live when they shoot from the hip.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Light industrial complex on Eastern Seaboard
    Last Online

06.08.07 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

guitarists have to walk a fine line when performing live:

they have to play the song close enough to the recorded version so it's familiar and comfortable for the crowd.

but at the same time, concert-goers expect something more.

in all the concerts i've ever seen, only rarely has an artist 'pulled off' a completely different version from the recorded one.

Allman Bros being the notable exception.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny, everyone at the concert seemed to love Brian Youngs dead on Eddie impersonation...I mean, thats what we came to hear....I heard no one complaining or going on and on about artistic impressions, JH Christ...Thats the kind of bullshit talk that had Eddie where he is right now, NOWHERE....and for the most part, Sammys guitarist DID ATTEMPT to mimic the original tunes, I dont know what the hell show you guys saw...He just cannot DO EDDIE like BRian Young so he softened up the solos or disregarded them altoghether...JH, You Sammy fans are so transparent