Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

If you went to the June 15th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

impossible....
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a review of the Dallas show/Smirnoff. Let me just say that I have always enjoyed both Roth/Hagar era stuff about equally....hopefully minimizing any bias towards one or the other.
    That being said:
    The show started off with Sammy. The feel of the band was pretty loose, and Johnson was sometimes borderline sloppy. The overall mix was actually pretty muddy, and took away from the performance. Hagars vocals were excellent. The whole bar/bleacher thing was lame, and the waitress/g-string servers was cheezy. The setlist was unchanged from those previously posted. All-in-all, a good jam. Solid.
    Roth closed. The feel of the band was tight, and Young was methodical. The overall mix was good, and Roth's sound guy babysitted the vocal track though the sets. Roth hit his trademark wails to my amazement. I've heard studio stuff where he just couldn't pull it off (i.e. Slam Dunk), but the old man was impressive at this gig. The setlist was unchanged from those previously posted. All-in-all, a good performance. Rocking.

In sum, Hagar came with a relaxed, 'lets party' beach attitude that provided a pleasant ride through some good tunes. Roth came with a suprisingly aggressive, 'dont !@#$ with me,' cranking vibe that showed that he can still rock with the best of them.

My vote goes strongly to DLR.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:47 PM
    Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts

Originally posted by surgmax:
    This is a review of the Dallas show/Smirnoff. Let me just say that I have always enjoyed both Roth/Hagar era stuff about equally....hopefully minimizing any bias towards one or the other.
    That being said:
    The show started off with Sammy. The feel of the band was pretty loose, and Johnson was sometimes borderline sloppy. The overall mix was actually pretty muddy, and took away from the performance. Hagars vocals were excellent. The whole bar/bleacher thing was lame, and the waitress/g-string servers was cheezy. The setlist was unchanged from those previously posted. All-in-all, a good jam. Solid.
    Roth closed. The feel of the band was tight, and Young was methodical. The overall mix was good, and Roth's sound guy babysitted the vocal track though the sets. Roth hit his trademark wails to my amazement. I've heard studio stuff where he just couldn't pull it off (i.e. Slam Dunk), but the old man was impressive at this gig. The setlist was unchanged from those previously posted. All-in-all, a good performance. Rocking.

In sum, Hagar came with a relaxed, 'lets party' beach attitude that provided a pleasant ride through some good tunes. Roth came with a suprisingly aggressive, 'dont !@#$ with me,' cranking vibe that showed that he can still rock with the best of them.

My vote goes strongly to DLR.
    the most objective review i have ever read here.

thanks bro!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me say first of all that I've never seen Sammy or Dave live by themselves. I have seen Van Halen with Dave three times, Fair Warning Tour, Diver Down Tour, and 1984 Tour. I have seen Sammy only once with Van Halen on the F.U.C.K. Tour.

I am first and foremost a Dave era Van Halen fan. Van Hagar was incredible. Van Halen was godlike.

I was REALLY excited to see this show. It had been over 10 years since I saw ANY live concert. Last one was F.U.C.K. Tour. I had great seats. 20 rows back, just left of center. I was numb with anticipation of the start of this show. Sammy's set was hidden behind a large curtain. Then at precisely 8:02 pm the curtain opened and Sammy exploded with Red. It was incredible. Sammy's sound was great. I was SO impressed with Sammy solo. I wasn't really there to see Sammy. I was there for Dave. But Sammy just impressed the hell out of me. Dave had one tough act to follow. Sammy's set was flawless with the exception of his microphone dying on him once, Vic's guitar transmitter going belly up once, and during one song there was a horrendous sound/feedback problem but they fixed it quick. Other than that it was perfect. Sammy's voice was GOLD. Vic didn't play the Van Hagar tunes as true to the originals as I would have like to have heard but hey, he was great anyway and playing Eddie's stuff is no cakewalk. I agree with many others who have seen this show before that Sammy should ditch Eagles Fly and Give To Live. Man the crowd was just about to go into a frenzy when all of a sudden he slammed on the brakes with Give To Live. He made up for it a bit though I thought by adding Rock Candy. THAT was killer.

Dave's set up was vanilla ice cream compared to Sammy's. Sammy had the props. Dave was definitely "no frills". Very plain stage set up. Nothing fancy at all. No big intro either they all just came out and started playing. What a way to make a first impression though.......Hot For Teacher : )

Dave's sound was a bit "muddy" compared to Sammy but was still real good that would be my only "technical" complaint about Dave's set. Other than that I was FREAKING out listening to Van Halen being played live again. As each song progressed I was getting emotionally worked up higher and higher. When Dave kicked into I'm The One, I nearly shit my pants. I hadn't had an emotional high at a concert like that since I saw Van Halen back in 1984. Just as the song started smoking it all crashed down. Some FUCKING IDIOT threw a beer and from my perspective it looked like it just nailed Dave. Got him in the face pretty good I think. Dave stopped the music immediately and called the idiot an "asshole" and made a comment about his girlfriend back stage. Then told the band to take it from the top again. This happens just after I had commented to my friends during the intermission about how all of us fans have aged and that the crowd was more "mature" than what I remembered from past concert experiences. Oh well. They pressed on with that incomparable set of classic Van Halen tunes and just blew the place away anyway.

Dave was great. It was pretty obvious however that at 47 years of age, he was rationing his energy just for the act of singing but he did sing his ass off. He was a LOT less active on stage (understandably so) than his prime Van Halen years though. I wish he had interacted with the audience a bit more. This is his forte and he should use it.

Brian Young only took a back seat to Sammy and Dave themselves this evening. This man can play that fucking guitar and was the king musician "star of the show" for sure. What a monster guitar player. He nailed Eddie's shit all night and was just spectacular. Simply a jaw dropping performance from him. Dave gave him and his band well deserved props during the show. One hell of a tight band.

Was it worth the $53 for my ticket? HELL YES ! In fact the show was so damned good that I'm sending Sammy and Dave an additional $50 tip in the mail : )

If these guys come near you, DON'T MISS IT.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I took my daughter and her boyfriend to the show last night and let me say neither of them are really into Van Halen at all. I on the other hand have checked all the sites daily for the last two years hoping for any sign of hope of a classic DLR reunion, even though I enjoyed Van Hagar as well. With that being said, here are my thoughts:

Hagar first,

wow!! the guy still knows how to party. I didn't think that the bleacher thing or the "waitresses" were cheesy at all. The whole atmosphere was party hearty! The sound didn't seem all that "muddy" to me , but it may have been where I was sitting (at the edge of the roof, but still in the seated area). The band sounded great, Sammy's vocals were dead on, and he reaaly seemed to be having a blast. The packed crowd (even on the lawn) were on there feet the whole time with a lot of people dancing and singing along. I came away very impressed.

Now Dave,

Just about what I expected. Very fast paced. The band was incredible, especially the guitar player. Little crowd interaction. Dave did the usual schtick, and sounded really good. Sang most of the words(didn't "forget" any this time) and made all his trademark screams.The crowd was on it's feet the whole time, although I didn't see a lot of "movement." The songs sounded great and overall I thought it was a very workman like performance.

Final impressions,

My daughter and her boyfriend thought both acts were great but were more impressed/excited about Sammy. I've been seeing Van Halen since 1978, haven't missed a tour, and as I stood watching each performance last night thinking about what Van Halen used to be, fun-party you brains-out-push it to the max-etc, I couldn't help but feel that Sammy gave THAT type of show, where as Dave seemed to be pacing himself at times. As much as I want a DLR reunion, I came away thanking Sammy was the man for the job. That being said, I still haven't had this much fun at a concert in years. You'd be crazy to miss it.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Running With The Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well last nights show was awesome to say the least. I think my review is pretty neutral since I have never before last night seen Hagar or Roth. Also I attend ALOT of concerts. I probably attend around 150+ shows per year this of course includes all the bar shows I go to. I have a wide taste of music and see all different kids of bands so I think that qualifies me to be pretty objective since I'm not the die hard Van Halen fan who only goes to 3-4 shows a year.

I can state last nights show was THE best I've seen this entire summer. I very seriousily doubt it will be "THE BEST" I'll see this summer but so far it's a rocker!

Let me say I'd love to party with Sammy and/or Dave any night. In fact they both have something very cool going on if you ask me with this tour.

I've always loved Van Halen and I even dug Sammy Hagar during his Red Rocker days. I never really disliked Van Hagar but never got into their music totally. This is my take on last nights show in a nutshell.

Sammy's set was nice to watch and his voice sounds great! I think his band however seemed to be playing as a group of session musicians rather than a collective band. This of course is just my take on it but there was a void of raw power that I think could of been there with a tighter knit band. It still was fun and the tits were nice to look at. I caught a HEAVY buzz during Sammy's set. He does know how to keep the crowd entertained for sure.

Final say on Sammy's set..great rock and roll! No questions asked...

WE move on to Dave....

I've never seen Dave before last night and he looks great and his voice is much better than what I heard on a couple of his live concert tapes in '99. His band was very tight and had some great energy! Now.. In a nutshell I was more impressed with Dave by a long shot. Don't get me wrong they both were good but Dave had the image and the attitude that at one time made up Van Halen. That image that was Van Halen when they were at the top of their game in 1984.

It was THAT very image that Dave was projecting last night.

I mean we are talking about the majority of people there being Van Halen fans and not DLR or Red Rocker fans but VAN HALEN! Van halen to me has always been about the essence of the party.. Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll! That's what's it's all about. No fan of Van Halen has ever NOT had plenty of "banging" good times with VH playing in the background! In my opinion from last nights performance Dave with out a doubt maximized that image and totally without a doubt projected himself to simply be the ipitimy of all that Van Halen was in the old days.

Sammy can party without a doubt! No questions about it but if last night you asked me which guy would have more chicks in his dressing room after the show I'd have to say they both would have plenty of chicks in their dressing rooms! However something tells me Dave would be the one still going at 6am the next morning. After all Sammy's Married with children.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

In a nutshell.. Both sets were great! Both sets gave Van Halen fans what they were craving.

If Van Halen ever did get back together with Dave WATCH OUT!

One other thing: Considering most older musicians like Sam and Dave look and sound like sh*t on stage in this case both these guys are still in top form and is was some of the better spent concert $$$ I've spent in a while!

Great concert and I hope they do it again!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last night the Red Rocker and the Diamond One came to show their stuff for the almost sold out crowd (estimated 17000 out of 19000 seats sold) at Dallas' Smirnoff Sponsored Starplex. We call it the Vodkaplex. By the way I want to make a case for a reduction in beer prices. 24oz of generic Bud or Coors type beers is $8 per serving. If you want an imported brew such as Corona or Dos XX it goes for $6 per offering.

Back to the show! This reviewer was pretty pumped to see both men with an emphasis on the Diamond one since I have not seen him is so long. I caught Sammy on the Mas Tequila last year so this was not a big deal initially. Sammy brought his A game to start out the evening. I don't remember the set list song for song, but it was much heavier in VH material than what others have reported from previous shows. I would say it was 60% VH with one Montrose song, and the rest vintage Hagar. He did go into the acoustic version of Eagles Fly as many have mention. Personally I really like this song done with full electric backing, but have heard the acoustic version a few times. I don't think it was a show killer although it did bring the tempo way down. Mona did a nice job on the harmonies on this song since it was just she and Sammy on stage at this point. One point to like about the song is a showcase of Sam's varied guitar ability. He also brings a lot of heart and feeling to the song. If you focus on that part it comes off pretty well. The crowd was singing along and loving it, so I guess more liked it than didn't. For those who don't like it consider this your beer break moment.
    On with the show. The overall energy was very high during Sammy's entire set. The Waborita's were not particularly good this evening, but I don't think that was a major problem. If I had not seen them a little over a year ago I may have not noticed. David Lauser is a fine drummer and Mona brings good feel to the bass. Jesse Harms on keyboards was hard to even notice most of the evening. Victor Johnson does a fine job on the vintage Sammy songs or the newer ones when it is his material he is playing. He seems lost on most of the VH tunes, but to his credit he does not try to play Eddie note for note. The biggest problem for Victor is when Sammy grabs a guitar and is playing. In all the hype I think many tend to forget how good a player Sammy is. He blows Victor off the stage. The man can play and I wish he would play lead on a few more songs although it would be tough to manage the entire stage with the guitar around his neck much more.

All in all the crowd loved Sammy and the overall performance was very strong.

Next up is Mr. David Lee Roth!

Roth and company hit the stage and let me say that his band is tight, tight, tight. These guys not only play the songs well, but also do a fantastic job of simulating the backing vocals. I was searching for MA thinking he had to be on stage someplace. No such luck, but again these guys had it going. It wasn't until the third song that we had a chance to hear Dave finally sing a song. He was going through the motions, but talking most of the lyrics up to that point. For many this is not a problem, but I have seen every VH tour and two Dave solo tours and I for one do notice the difference. When they hit Dance the Night Away he finally worked the pipes. Dave in many respects still commands the same adoration he did in his heyday with the way he carries himself. People are just glad he is here. Still I could not help but notice that he went back into the same pattern of talking most of the lyrics after Dance the Night Away and would continue that all night except for a few songs later in the evening. As good as his group was it did not matter nearly as much what Dave was doing since the guitar work was dead on and the harmonies on the chorus were so great.
    Dave put in a few one liners as he has always done along with a number of kicks. He does a good deal of posing as well, but the guy is in great shape. One thing I did notice was how little he moved around the stage. He went to the extreme right once and half way to the left side once, but other than that he never left the area between the drum risers. Since we were on the left-hand side of the stage as you look into the crowd I was a little disappointed. On the set list it was based on VH1 and 1984 with a few songs from the middle releases tossed in. I guess I need to give equal issue on a song. Little Dreamers is a good Dave list song for a beer break. It drops the tempo a bit, and this is one that Dave should consider dropping. Again, at some point these guys need to drop the tempo, but I think there are better songs Dave could have done.

All in all it was a great show. Both performers are professionals in every sense of the word. If you want a breakdown on who was better tonight, I would have to say that Dave's band was the best hands down. Put Sammy in with that band and you would have had the best combination.
    If it will rock we will roll.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me just start off by saying, that concert smoked!

I was bred on Van Halen as I was growing up. I have always been a bigger fan of Sammy Hagar as a vocalist. But let me tell you, hearing Dave sing the songs that got me into the band in the first place slapped a smile on my face for his entire set.

The scoop:

Sammy --
    Sammy's show was great but there weren't any surprises. I would have loved to hear some Zep or Montrose. Sammy's voice is at its prime right now. And I love that he can still wail on the guitar. I have to agree with everyone else here too that the soundguy is a putz. Sammy's mix was lousy. Overall scoop on Sam's show was that it was an excellent show to get us ready for 'the show'

Dave --
    I have never seen Dave live before. From the moment he opened his set to the moment he closed I was smiling. I couldn't believe how energetic the old tunes were. This is when Ed used to play for the solo. That guitar player of Dave's was quite the carbon copy. He didn't quite have the 'brown' sound. Dave was spectacular, he looked and sounded great! The mix was excellent.

Who won? I like to think we all did. But for energy and content I'd have to give it to Dave. The material spoke [img]smile.gif[/img] Like other posts I've read, I think the closer definitely has the upper hand.

I was really hoping that Dave and Sammy could have jammed together. Oh well, maybe on the last date.

$8/beer???
    Tailgating was cool.
    I loved my lawn seats [img]smile.gif[/img] I never sat on the lawn once.
    No 'Sam and Dave' shirts?

I got some kick a$$ photos too, gotta love the digital camera!

L8tr

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to the DLR/hagar concert last night expecting a great things. Let me say that I was not the least bit dissapointed. I have been a huge van Halen fan since i bought the greatest hits album in 97'. I am only 19 and everyone my age that i have met thinks i am wierd. I attended this concert with my family and my girlfriend and we were to the right of the stage. We were all surprised at how packed it was. Now to the music. Hagar opened with a bang and although i am a big van halen fan(both era's, although mainly roth) i am not a big hagar fan, but i found myself thoroughly enjoying hagars solo stuff. The first part of his show that was a little dissapointing was during poundcake, where EVH's guitar was greatly missed. I honestly didnt expect any Montrose but Rock candy was kick ass!! Also, he needs to cut eagles fly out of his show. The restrooms were packed when that song was being played. Then Roth came out in his shiny blue pants with matching vest, and i could honestly imagine what an early 80's VH show would have been like. Hot for Teacher was a little muddy but after that the show picked up and my dad kept commenting on how kick ass DLR's drummer Ray Luzier was. He was amazed at how tight his band was and how great they sounded. DLR ran through all of his hits and during beautiful girls his voice sounded extremely good. I was singing the words to every song and was really glad that he added DOA. I only wished that Dave would have played Romeos Delight or Little Guitars. Overall the concert was great. Sammy was amazing and i didnt know how DLR could top him, but he did. Roth blew sammy off of the stage and Sammy was pretty kick ass so that tells you how good Roth and his band was. If any van halen fan has the chance to see this, dont pass it up, it was awesome!!
    Lets Hope VH gets some Sensible Shoes that lead them back to Dave.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I'm pissed, I couldn't make it.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

...And The Cradle Will Rock
    Last Online

02.10.06 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man that show was fantastic! Sammy! Dave! We(the fans) are the true winners this time out. I have nothing more to add at this time.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    As we pulled into the parking lot of the Smirnoff center, there was VH music blasting out of cars left and right. Brought back alot of memories, interestingly enough, you only heard (at least I did) Dave-era VH music being played. Dave once said something along the lines of Van Halen music being the most backyard BBQ, get to the concert parking lot 3 hours early, music around. There were lots of hot Texas broads around, great weather and the Beer was flowing.

Sam

Sam started off with "Red" which evidently many of the Hagarites around here don't like but I think is a great tune. And the first 5 or 6 songs were all great. The VH stuff were great tunes and this Vic dude on guitar did a damn good job I thought dispite some people saying he can't really really carry Eddie's riffs. Sam did seem to cut off my favorite Van Hagar tune "5150" a bit early to go into "Poundcake" I believe. My take on Sam's bleacher bums is that I could take them or leave them, he could use a few more hot babes up there. I remember that on the bleachers on the right side there were a couple of good-looking girls down on the front row who seemed to have nice cans but the rest were mostly dudes.

Anyway 40-45 minutes into the show Sam starts up with some slow stuff so I figured this is the best time to go get another beer and stand in line for the restrooms.

It was funny, you usually see the women standing in long lines and the men lines moving pretty fast but here it was the opposite. Anyway my technique was to get a beer, get in line for the restrooms and go through twice since the beer goes through pretty quick. This way, my bladder would be in good shape for Dave. I ended up watching the last 30 minutes or so of Sam's show on the monitor above the beer lines (when I wasn't going thru the men's room).

My take on Sam; I give him a solid A-. Love him or hate him, the guy gets up there and gives it all he has. The only thing I would change is to have him tweak the setlist. Come on Sam! How about "Trans Am" (sets 10 inches off the ground, with a custom plate, that says "I EAT Z28"), "This Planet's on Fire", "I've Done Everything For You" (I like the Rick Springfield version too, sue me) etc. etc. You wanna play a love song, how about "The Two Sides of Love" or "I'll fall in Love Again". There were good guitar riffs on that song. Oh well, Sam put on a show.

Dave

The day before the Ft. Worth paper had an article about the show. It was a good article but it had the comment that "Dave had hired a Van Halen tribute band, The Atomic Punks, to back him". I explained to my high school buds that were going with me to the show that that was incorrect, only Dave's guitar player had played with the Punks and that he would blow them away.

Well you pretty much know the set list. There was one exception. I don't remember "DOA" being on any setlist posted on this forum. Well he did it and it was an awesome surprise for me anyway.

Dave's band was seriously one of the best I've seen, certainly better than his 1999 tour band. (I didn't see him in 2001) The backing vocals weren't exactly Michael Anthony but they were pretty damn good. Ray Luzier was awesome. Brian Johnson was, well, Brian. He played alot of the stuff note for note, but then seemed to put a twist of his own on some solos. As for him playing "Eruption", well he started into an eruption-like solo but then went off in his own direction. His solo here only lasted 30 seconds or so then the band goes into "You Really Got Me". He also did the intro to "Mean Street".

Lots of people around here, including myself to a certain degree, roasted Dave for having his guitar player do "Eruption". If Brian wanted to copy it he could have, he didn't. Besides which, even if he copied it note for note, where the hell else are the young people of today going to hear Rock Guitar the way it should be played. Korn? Staind? Limp Bizkit? Gimme a break. Dave Mustaine's retired. Metallica's been retired since 86/87/88 (pick one). Drink a Beer and listen to "Eruption".

Anyhow Dave ended with Jump! I would have liked him to play Jump somewhere else and maybe close with "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love". You can't have everything I guess. One other thing, half way into "Red" most of the crowd seemed to sit down. They were up for Dave's entire show (except of course some on the lawn). Interesting.

Who won? As others have said, we the fans won big time. Look, Sam is Sam and Dave is Dave. They're very different in many ways but for what they try to do, they both delivered bigtime. I'm a Davehead, I believe his show is the closest thing to seeing vintage Van Halen that is possible short of time travel. Sam, well hell,
    Sam's a party. See this show! You won't regret it.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Elwood P.:
    [QB]

Brian Johnson was, well, Brian Johnson

/QB]
    OK so I got his name wrong, I still have beer in my system.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure what show these other posters saw, so here are my impressions of the Sam and Dave show in Dallas.

Despite technical difficulties, Sammy and the Waboritas played a great set, as they always do. The waitresses were awesome- anyone that didn't think so must be a little limp in the wrist. During "Give to Live" there was not a mass exodus, at least from my perspective in the 203 section. Maybe the drunks up on the grassy knoll needed a refill- I don't know. Overall Sammy and the band were very good.

Then Dave came out. Notice I said Dave- the rest of his band was already on the stage playing prior to his appearance. This was the first indication that the show was all about Dave.

The second indication occurred when he motioned to the soundman to turn his vocals up. After that point it began to sound like karaoke night at a topless bar.

Dave sounded awful, and looked like hell! He didn't seem to remember the melody to any of the songs, and resorted to a spoken word tactic often. When he tried his high kicks he barely got his leg above his waist, then immediately grabbed his hamstring every time. And his trick with the whiskey bottle was pathetic.

BYI- the "throw a beer at Dave routine" was done in the past during VH tours. It's designed to make Dave look like a badass.

Having seen the original VH in it's prime this performance was painful to watch. I've seen hundreds of concerts in my lifetime, and I rarely walk out, but this time we did. We weren't alone- there was a traffic jam in the parking lot with 30 minutes left in Dave's set.

Dave's band seemed to rush through each song and had no chemistry with Dave whatsoever. His EVH Clone guitarist needs to listen more carefully to Eddie's timing and use of space within each composition. Sure he hit the notes, but he did so without feeling. His work reminded me of so many metal guitarists- all flash and no substance.

I doubt very seriously that we'll ever see Dave back in VH. Sammy could step right back in, but he doesn't need the BS. VH as we know it is official dead- RIP.

Sammy, don't do any more favors for Dave. PLEASE!

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

As I sit here on my flight back to New York I find myself thinking, “what did I witness last night at the Smirnoff Music Center?” Before I get this review fully started, let me clarify my position on the entire Van Halen saga: I like both the Dave and Sam eras equally. Both had their highs and lows but it was (and remains) great music. Consequently I was looking forward to both sets last night as I entered the outdoor arena. And, having never seen Roth either with Van Halen or solo, I was very intrigued by the possibilities of his set.

Sammy opened the show with a rocking rendition of, “Red” and the near-capacity crowd of about 15,000 was on its feet for the duration (sitting only during the acoustic, “Eagles Fly”). While there was no appearance by Michael Anthony, the band was tight and did some great versions of vintage solo / Montrose material (“Rock Candy” and “Three Lock Box” to name two) as well as the harder-edged Van Halen material (“Poundcake”, “Runaround” and “5150” come to mind). Sammy’s voice was in top shape and he had absolutely no difficulty hitting high notes. Vic Johnson played a blistering set and did some nice guitar work on the Van Halen songs putting a new twist on the solos. Mona wasn’t nearly as dreadful as I had feared and actually did a very good job with the high backing vocals. I didn’t really get much of an impression of Jesse Harms or David Lauser so I’ll just say they were solid. Sammy closed with “Dreams” and did a very cool acapella version of “Cabo Wabo” while the band was taking it’s final bows. Of course, when Sammy sang, “I’ve been to Rome, Dallas Texas”, the crowd went nuts. I didn’t feel like I was watching a commercial for Cabo Wabo nor did I think Sammy was trying to out-Dave Roth. It was Sammy as I have seen before – a regular guy grinding it out on stage and having a ball. The entire band was clearly having a great time playing off the crowd. I can’t think of a better way to begin the evening.

Roth came out about 25 minutes after Sammy left and looked in great shape. Other than the more prominent forehead (due to the balding), It looked like the Diamond Dave I remembered from the glory days. The band jumped into an up-tempo version of, “Hot for Teacher” and Dave began his set. Before I get into discussing Dave, let me throw down a few observations about his band. Ray Luzier and the White Lion cast off, James Lomenzo, were solid. Brian Young played every song note for note with deadly accuracy. It really was quite amazing – even his tone was Eddie-esque. I certainly could have done without a note for note rendition of “Eruption” but other than that, he was technically brilliant. Ah, but there’s the rub – Brain Young was technically brilliant but there was no emotion in his playing. I’m sure he’s doing what Dave has instructed him to do so I’m not going to crucify a guy for doing his job the way his boss wants. I’m just saying the music that Dave’s rent-a-band was playing was sterile. I wanted Dave to be incredible but in the end, I’m not sure he was even credible. While his voice has never been the greatest, it did have power when he was younger. Last night, it seemed that Dave sang a full octave lower than he did in his Van Halen heyday. Even that I could have dealt with. The worst part of the whole Roth “scene” was the fact that he is basically singing (or trying to sing) to a recorded track. Dave could have saved himself some money and brought out a karaoke machine – it would have been the same. I also question his set list. Yes, Sammy could have done a more rocking version of “Eagles Fly” or left it out entirely, but Dave’s set is 100% Van Halen other than, “Yankee Rose”. He has some great solo material (“A Lil’ Ain’t Enough”, “Damn Good”, “Just Like Paradise” to name a few) but he didn’t even think about performing it – big mistake. During, “Little Dreamer” I ran into a very pro-Roth, anti-Sammy guy who hit the nail on the head: Dave isn’t relevant anymore. He is little more than a sideshow curiosity at this point in his career. As I went back to sit down during, “Pretty Woman”, one of the people we were sitting with was leaving and he may have had the quote of the night. He told me he was leaving because, “watching Roth was like watching your grandparents have sex: you know they do it, but you really don’t want to see it”. He was right. The two friends I came with and I left during, “Pretty Woman” and we weren’t the only ones. I would say at least 200 people were leaving about the same time we were. I wouldn’t say it was a mass exodus or that it was pro-Sammy people. I would just say it was people like myself and my friends who just couldn’t watch or listen Roth strain his remaining vocal chord any longer.

I have NEVER left a concert early in my life, but I am glad I did last night. I wanted Dave to be great and would have settled for good but, dammit, he just plain sucked. I am sure that there are plenty of people who are looking at the world through Dave-vision who will bash me for this review – go ahead. Sammy won in Dallas hands down. The only time I saw anyone sit during Hagar’s set was during, “Eagles Fly” which is understandable. It’s a slower song and it was done acoustically. When people are sitting down (and sitting down in droves) during “Runnin’ with the Devil”, that’s a problem. Dave, hang up the microphone stand – it’s over.

[ June 17, 2002, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: wip5150 ]
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel