Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:56 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

If you went to the June 10th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having read lots of reviews of this show as it has gone from city to city, and finally seeing it myself last night, the winner is:

The closing act.

Dave opened the show last night and like the other shows, a lot of seats were empty at the beginning of the show, but filled in as the night progressed.Dave got the ball rolling and didn't stop for air. As mentioned previously, his guitar player pretty much played every song EXACTLY like the original. He was quite impressive. I've read a few posts where he's been criticized from playing every song just like the original, but I couldn't help but think if DLR came to me and said "I want you to be my guitar player and I would like you to play the parts as they were originally played," my answer would NOT be "Well, gee Dave, I'm an artist who wants to express himself freely and not be contrained to play Eddie's licks, so I guess I'll have to pass...." He did a great job and was having the time of his life.
    The only thing missing from Dave's show, as mentioned prviously, was solo material. The crowd seemed to enjoy "Yankee Rose" quite a bit.If he had cut back on the Van Halen and put in "California Girls," "Just Like Paradise," etc... it would have been a much better show.
    Dave and Co. did a good job.
    About one minute into Sammy's opening song (which was "Rock -n- Roll") I looked at my friend and yelled "Sammy wins!" Sammy just flat out ROCKED the joint! The crowd was really into Sammy's show. His opening volly of songs just kicked ass! I've also read complaints about "Eagles Fly", but I heard lots of people singing along and enjoying that song as well. The Waboritas did a great job. Victor Johnson sounded like Victor Johnson doing an Eddie Van Halen song, not trying to be an Eddie clone. That approach worked quite well.

Peoria was Sammy's town last night.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tyndelle, glad to hear that there are other Van Halen fans who don't let the pre-show hype cloud your judgement when it comes to reviewing the show. I had the same response to the show I saw in St. Louis last Friday (6/7/02) night. Dave opened and did an ok "Opening Act" job. It was good to hear the classic VH tunes sung by the man himself, but 30 seconds into Sammy's set and there was no denying who won the night that night. Sure Sammy's set wasn't perfect but it was much better than Dave's. All in all it's a great show and I get a second chance to see them again on July 26 when the show blows through KC. I'll give Dave a chance to redeem himself.
    "The truth hurts."

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by TyndellE:
    I've read a few posts where he's been criticized from playing every song just like the original, but I couldn't help but think if DLR came to me and said "I want you to be my guitar player and I would like you to play the parts as they were originally played," my answer would NOT be "Well, gee Dave, I'm an artist who wants to express himself freely and not be contrained to play Eddie's licks, so I guess I'll have to pass...." He did a great job and was having the time of his life.
    Finally! Someone who agrees with me!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.20.16 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Saw the show last nite the highlites....
    -Won 50 bucks at the gambling boat before the show!

-Got to the show around 6 o'clock since its been over ten years since I've been there and couldn't remember where the damn place was. So my bro and friend were standing in the long glassed enclosed walkway as a suprise rain storm hit us walking up and Dave's bass player James Lemanzo was standing in there with a security guy waiting for the rain to let up before he walked out to his bus. So we stood there and smoked a cig and wondered if we would see anyone from the bands since we were there early. The three of us didn't even recognize James as he stood there with us for about ten minutes. The only way we knew who it was was when it stopped raining he turned around and on the shoulder bag he was carrying it had a tag w/ his name and phone # on it. Shit it sucks not knowing what some of the guys look like. We kicked ourselves in the ass alnite about that. But we did say hi to Dave's drummer a little later, my brother thought that it was him and when Dave played he was right. James was also wearing the same camo pants he had on earlier.
    -Now on the show.. T-shirts at 32 bucks a pop, don't think so. AS with the earlier post, place was only half full as Dave hit the stage rocking. His band was incredible! Dave just cranked them out song after great friggin song, but the whole crowd never really got into it. I mean don't get me wrong Dave rocked and would get a great response after every song, but there was something missing (I know Ed,AL,& Mike). I would give Dave three out of four stars. Sammy pretty much won the crowd over with his video before the show. The video wasn't too bad and the place went nuts when the Cabo curtain hit the stage and out cranked "Cabo Wabo" over the PA. I knew what to expect from Sam and wasn't dissapionted. Great Show. I think Sammy had the crowd tonite. It would be interesting to see the crowds reaction when Sam opens and Dave closes. Sammy needs to fire his sound guy ASAP!! I not a technical whiz, but I think I could do a better job. Dave's sound guy did a good job. Go see the show if you can.

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I was there last night as well. Really a great show from both Dave and Sammy- I enjoyed both sets very much.

If you have to say that somebody "won", it would have to be Sammy on this night. Apparently, the opening act does not get the benefit of the full lighting rig the closer does. Of course, this is going to have an effect as far as the crowd is concerned- it would be interesting to see this show in the same venue with Dave closing. I also think the sound was turned up a notch or 2 for Sammy's band.

Also, you got to remember that Sammy had quite a following in this part of the world before he joined VH. He has a fan base in the midwest that probably isn't as strong on either coast.

Dave played the set list that has been mentioned here many times before- so no surprises here. It was a bombardment of one classic VH song after another and the crowd loved it. Dave's guitarist did an excellent job covering Eddie- isn't that what we want? Dave could have done a better job of connecting with the audience, maybe he does on the nights he closes the show. His voice is not holding up, but that's nothing new. I saw VH in '80, '81 and '84 at shows deep into the tour and he mostly "talked" his way through the songs. I didn't care then and I didn't care last night.

Sammy's set was a good mix of VH and his solo material and he did a very good job of connecting with the audience- which has always been one of his strong points. He played quite of bit of guitar during his set and his voice was good throughout.

I'm speculating here, but I think there is probably a gentleman's agreement between these two that the opening act "tones it down" so the closer has every opportunity to come out on top. Over the course of the tour, they both come out looking great.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm speculating here, but I think there is probably a gentleman's agreement between these two that the opening act "tones it down" so the closer has every opportunity to come out on top. Over the course of the tour, they both come out looking great.

Two guys wondered the same thing to me at the Alpine Valley show. Knowing about both of these guys (Sammy & Dave) and their egos (that is not a durogatory remark... any entertainer who stands in a spotlight for 90 minutes a night has to have an ego) I have a hard time believing either one of them would "back off a little" for the other.

Sammy needs to fire his sound guy ASAP!! I not a technical whiz, but I think I could do a better job. Dave's sound guy did a good job. Go see the show if you can.

I agree with this statement...i was 8 rows from the front and Dave's sound was ALOT better than Sammy's...I AM NOT OPENING AN OPINIONATED CAN OF WORMS SAYING..."Dave was better than Sammy"...I'm just saying that Sammy's sound guy wasn't cutting it!

I also think the sound was turned up a notch or 2 for Sammy's band.

See, I thought that Dave's sound was turned up when HE closed....maybe that's part of the difference....The Closer gets the volume on his side?!?!

[ June 11, 2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: alex edwards ]
    Alex Edwards

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a first time poster here at the forums. I went to the show last night and I thought it was awesome! I sat in section 17 in the lower bowl, which was in the back right side of the Civic Center.

First of all I have to say that this is the best concert I have every seen. I have seen Sammy when he released the album with Mas Tequila. I thought he was a lot better this time. I thought his part of the show was lounder than Daves. As for Sammys sound man goes, I had a good view of the console. All I saw was some women running it. All the other people were running the video/ camera stuff. And of course there were body gards standing around.

I liked Dave better, mainly because he played all of the classic Van Halen songs. Brian Young kicked some serious ass on guitar! His guitar solo was really really amazing! Daves show was an all out classic Hard Hard rock show. I have to admit, I don't think that I have ever seen a rock hard show like that before.

Sammy did a really great job too. I had to pull out the ear plugs for this part! It was way lounder than Daves show!!!! Sammy started out playing the hard rock tunes, the middle of the show slowed down a little, and the end of the show picked back up to the hard rock stuff again. I thought that the slower stuff could have been left out.

All in all I thought that both did a great job. I have waited a long time to see Dave come to Poeria! I want to see Dave or Sammy or both out with Van Halen!
    Van Halen will rule again!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 725 Times in 342 Posts

I was at the show last night, and what a night it was. I see there are a lot of Sammy fans here, but I'm going to go against the grain and say that Dave and his band musically were a little better. Sure, Sammy had all the gimmicks, with the lights, and the party boxes on the stage, but if you came to see somebody rock, Dave was rockin'.
    The band Dave had was great. Didn't miss a note, and Dave was showing a little attitude. He was out there doing his kicks, and martial arts stuff. I will admit that he isn't as athletic as he used to be, but I was impressed that a 47 year old man was doing that shit.
    I enjoyed Sammy's show very much also. Like I said before, he had a great stage presentation. Both shows were awesome, and I think no matter who opens, you won't be leaving early.
    The only disappointment was that they never shared the stage.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.20.16 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Motman! I was also in Section 17. Seats were pretty good. I also wanted to add that I thought they could have done away with showing the videos on the jumbo screen and just stuck with the footage from the show. Just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I was in section 20 right behind the sound boeard and I definately agree with DLR sounding better than Sammy. But I think Sammy was a much more aggressive and flowing show than DLR. DLR seemed to be trying too much to be like his "old" self and Sammy just let it flow and become a great ROCK AND ROLL show. Peoria area is a Sammy fan as a whole but I think DLR was kicking ass...it has to be hard for him to open for Sammy!!!!!
    I think DLR deserves Eddie Alex and Mikey. Sammy's guitarist IMO, was lost during the VH tunes....he always had to look at his fingers and bend over to see the neck of his guitar..he should be in a Hendrix tribute band vs. a VH aura concert. I LOVED the show and loved Sammy's bartenders!!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Just go for it!

Top Of The World ShutUpNPlayYer Guitar's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!
    Last Online

01.08.11 @ 12:00 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to the show with my bro, BREW CREW..had an excellent time. I was in line to get us some beer, and my bro said COME ON MAN, David is taking the stage! As much as I hate stranding beer, it was way more important seeing Dave come on stage. He came out with authority, but that first drink of Jack must have really had a bad taste by his expression,haha. His guitarist was good, but didn't have FEEL. But since this was my first time seeing both of these guys, I just enjoyed the classic tunes my brothers introduced me to. I hope Dave doesn't throw out a hip or something before he comes near the rest of ya, because he didn't look too confident when he jumped off the platform. Sammy was rockin' loved everything, even Eagles Fly because it gave us a chance to piss out our beer. [img]tongue.gif[/img] His guitarist was ok, did his own thing but I think Sammy is just as good. Best songs by both guys I think was Runnin With the Devil (flawless from what I remember) Everybody Wants Some was sweet too. For Sammy I'd say One Way To Rock and Heavy Metal....had the place roaring! I hope I get the chance to see these guys again sometime soon with the BROS!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Cocked, Locked, and ready to Rock, Doc!"

2007 Fantasy Baseball CHAMPION....Links League 2

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it rocked
    And someone said Fair Warning<br />Lord strike that poor boy down<br />Turned from hunted into hunter<br />Went to hunt somebody down...<br />Van Halen

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy has a real goof for a sound guy, Monna's bass was off for over two songs and she had to fake it. I thought Dave was the man but it is hard to battle Sammy with all the stage production as well as Peoria is too close to St Louis witch is all Sammy land. I thought they both rocked.