Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

If you went to the August 19th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Well, I have to say that the show turned out differently than I expected.

I was expecting Sammy to be the better show, and Dave to be a little forced and awkward.

I was totally wrong.

Sammy was good, but boring (and I like Sammy). I thought Victor's tone was pretty bad and overall the band seemed very second-rate. It was disappointing.

Dave kicked ass. The band was wonderful, sounded great. . and Brian Young was incredible. It really was (as I imagine it) like hearing (and sometimes even seeing) the band back in 1981. Dave looked alright, he's older but still did a great job.

Like I said, I didn't expect to be writing this review. I can honestly say I left with a renewed respect for DLR. If you would have asked me before the show "Who would you want to see reunite with Van Halen?" I would have said Sammy. But now, I'd have to say Roth. . .or both.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

house of pain
    Last Online

03.02.05 @ 02:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must say, I've read some of the reviews from before August 19 and I don't know how some of these people could have walked out of the Sam/Dave shows saying that Sammy was better.

I wish I hadn't read any of them cuz the whole time I was watching Sammy open the show I was thinking "and Dave's gonna be worse than this?!" Not that Sammy was so bad, but Dave put on a stellar show here in Virginia Beach. The funny thing is I have already read reviews from the show just after mine and I don't know how things could have changed so much from one night to the next.

Dave did not miss or forget one single word (unless he was busy doing something else) whereas Sammy had his band sing almost every chorus for him. Also, even though you could tell Dave was at times being 'careful' in his singing, I didn't hear one stinker on his part. (Awright, there was Beautiful Girls...) Yes, I know Sam's notes are higher, but so is his range and he was stretching quite a bit there Monday night.
    As far as the demeanor of both guys - Sammy was a salesman all night and Dave was a Rock Star. Sammy called us 'Norfolk' (we're Va Beach) and said he met his wife "somwhere around here" while Dave used the beginning of So This Is Love to relay a little story, tying in his youth at the beach and our beach to a story about dreaming big before VH was big (I'm sure you'll all hear a version of it.) Oh, by the way, when Sam does the "reach down between my legs" thing, he quickly credits it to Dave - calling him his "good buddy."

As far as each band goes, Sam's was either tired or disinterested in playing well. They've gotta be better than that. And if Mona is gonna sing lead parts, she should get in-ear-monitors.
    Daves band was incredible. It was like hearing Ed drinkin' again and Alex after two years of study with Terry Bozzio, although there were a couple of liberties taken by the drummer that he should have left alone. The endings to songs that this band had worked out made me feel like I was at a VH show. I really hope Dave does something with this band other than this tour, cuz these guys are hungry.
    But maybe not as much as Sammy Hagar. He is fat. You know, I bet if you put 20 more lbs., a pair of sunglasses and big hairy-chin thing on Dave he wouldn't look so old either. But the fact remains that Dave is in better health than anyone I know regardless of age and the jumpin' and kickin' stuff looked just as high (and silly) as the 1984 tour I saw.

David Lee Roth has always been, and still is, one of the greatest performers of all time. When he was in Van Halen, I didn't think they had ever written a bad song and since then I've liked most of what he's done.

Sammy Hagar has also written many great songs (if I had to make a top twenty VH list, there would definately be VanHagar songs on it.)

But on Mon Aug 19 - Dave made Sammy look like a chump.
    <a href="http://www.starcalledsun.com" target="_blank">www.starcalledsun.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eloquent post there Mr. inforthekill drummer dude !!
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the show in Columbus back in June and told my buddy Frankenstein, who lives in the Va Beach area that he had to see this show. He called me the day after the show and thanked me for 30 minutes for convincing him to see this show. His conclusion was the same as mine. It was a GREAT show no matter which singer you liked better going in.
    5150 Golfer

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

03.16.13 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great Reveiws!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Ok... I have been busy as hell at work lately, plus I have been trying to fully digest the show and my impressions before giving my review. Well, now I have some time, so here goes...

The scenario - I had great fucking seats! 4th row back from the stage, dead center. It was a hot, hot summer night here in VA; we wre sweating our asses off. I had already downed several beers that afternoon, but only one at the show (too damn expensive!) As many of you know, I am first and foremost a CLassic Van Halen fan, who really never has had much use for Van Hagar (though I do own 2 of their CDs, like a few of their tunes and saw them on the 5150 tour)...

Show opener - Sam Hagar

As with every other show, there was the film/rockumentary of Sammy's life and career. I thought it was pretty cool, a bit long maybe, but I dig these types of things, so I was paying attention. Lots of cool photos, and footage of Sam.

Then the curtain pulled, and Hagar took the stage. I am not the worlds biggest Hagar fan, but I do think he is allright. He came out and IMO just kicked ass! His band was tight and rose to the task. I would not say that they are a great band, but they seemed to be having alot of fun, and really gave what I thought was a good, solid performance. Sure, Vic is no Eddie Van Halen, and he did stumble sometimes, but overall, he did ok, well enough to carry the songs. He was especially strong on the Hagar solo material.

Vocally, at 55 yrs old Hagar has somehow managed to keep his pipes intact; he sounded clear and powerful, and it was almost effortless for him. Many of his contemporaries who are lauded for their vocal abilities (Plant is one) just cant hold a candle to this guy! As the show unfolded, I really gained a new respect for Sammy Hagar. And anyone who says he is fat is full of shit - he may weigh more than he did back in the day, but that is how it is supposed to be when you get older. I could have done without the twin bleacher setup he had (which was full of dorks, for the most part [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and some of the Cabo & tequila references, but hey, all in all it was a good, solid kick ass performance from a veteran rocker with a few good years still left in him.

Show Closer - David Lee Roth

I was really waiting to see Roth - I have heard so much good and bad about his recent performances that I didn't know what to believe, so I was ready for the proof.

Up goes the curtain and out comes Dave - his band tears into Hot For Teacher, and I am immediately struck by the somewhat muddy sound. What is the problem with these sound guys? As stated at previous shows, it took a few songs to get things mixed and sounding right. But once they did, the band really lit up. Lots and lots of what we Classic Van Halen fans have been waiting for years to hear live.

This is probably the best band Roth has had other that the EEAS band! Brian is a great guitar player; he really knows his shit and does justice to the songs. The rhythm section smoked as well.I especially liked hearing "So This Is Love" and "Mean Street". But I have to say, I was disappointed in Roth's vocals. I never saw him with Van Halen, so I don't have a point of reference, but I thought he mostly sucked vocally. He was the weak point of his own show. I think Roth is alot like Ozzy - he can't sing for shit live, but is great in the studio. Physically, Roth is in great shape, but he really needs to do something about that hair - it was a platinum blonde sweatrag by about 10 minutes into the show. That hair makes him look old and cheesy. Lose that shit, Dave! Either get a new 'do, a new color, or go see the same folks that fixed up Kevin Dubrow, Mike Anthony or Elton John. If these guys can do it, then why not you?

Anyhow, I did enjoy Roths's show, and I sincerely appreciate him bringing the goods to the masses. Dave seemed to enjoy the crowd; and the crowd loved his schtick. It was funny when he said that some guy was flipping him off, then proceeded to say that that guys girlfriend had been blowing him earlier that night (I know, it's canned, but it was still funny ) We bailed when the encore "Jump" started, since we had to drive all the way back to Richmond (1.5 hours).

Closing statement:

Back in the day, Roth was quintessential Van Halen; noone can ever touch that and in Van Halen Sammy never even came close. But now, Roth is in the unenviable position of competing not with Sammy, but with himself. No one, not even Diamond Dave 2002 can compete with the Diamond Dave of 1978 - 1984. And the fans hold him accountable for this...

Sammy, on the other hand, never had the scrutiny or the legacy to compete with that Roth has had. So Sammy has been able to enjoy a slower, steady and probably more sustainable rise to fame than Dave. Dave is now (and always has been) his own worst enemy. Sammy has been opportunistic; Dave has been lazy and unfocused. Slow and steady wins the race, and that is just what has happened here.

Anyway, that is my review. I really, really wish it had been different. I would love to write that Roth had stolen the show, and that he fucking ruled. But I left the show with a new respect for Hagar's staying power, and disappointment that Roth just isn't what he used to be. Maybe if he had Van Halen backing him up, it would be different. Truthfully, though, I don't believe we will even see (or hear) them together again...

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry about my late review but here goes...
    First, I am a 41 year old VH fan since 1978 and have had the pleasure of seeing VH with DLR many times as well as seeing VH with Sammy many times also. I also saw them with Gary twice.

Sammy still has one hell of a voice for a 54 year old man. He sounded better than he did on the Balance tour. But I remember when Sammy was truly the Red Rocker, not the Tequila rocker. I don't need a 54 year old bartender encouraging me to drink. This is not a Buffet show, and we are not in our teens anymore, so a lead singer drinking on stage does nothing for me. I enjoyed Sammy when he picked up the guitar and rocked out on his old classics. I enjoyed hearing 5150 and Finish What You Started even though Victor can't handle Ed's playing. I did not care for some of the other "commercial" VH material he played...Dreams, When It's Love, etc., and would have rather heard Humans Being, Don't Tell Me, etc., songs with a harder edge, but Sammy doesn't have the guitar player to do it. To sum it up, Sammy voice sounds great, but he needs a better band behind him. He needs to drop the bar tender act and go back to being the cussing, crazy Red Rocker that I saw twice before he joined VH.

Now DLR...he looked dazed for the first 2 songs...the mix sounded like shit...isn't that what sound checks are for? Got better on the 3rd song, And The Craddle Will Rock, but it was obvious what was missing...backing vocals. Yes Brain has Ed's playing down great, but he does not have Ed's personality or stage moves. And anybody who saw VH with DLR knows how important Michael Anthony was to the sound of VH live as well as on record. Dave had shitty backing vocals. As far as DLR, it was like watching a old bad rerun. Same old missing lyrics, often forgetting lines at a time or messing up on the lyrics. And watching the same 2 jumps over and over got old. I remember when DLR would do the split jump off a 6 foot tall drum riser...and we had to wait the entire show to watch him jump off a 18" tall drum riser? I could jump off my coffee table and do the same. As far as his voice, I would say DLR was pretty close to the way he sounded in the old days, but he desperatley needs Michael Anthony. And unless DLR can cover the stage like he did in the "old days", he is just not as exciting to watch. The masturbation routine...boring. Asking the guy in the front row if he wanted to suck his dick was just too weird for me. I sat in the 3rd row, almost dead center.

As I left the show, I almost felt sad. Before the show, I would have paid a shitload of money to see DLR with VH live again. But the saying "you can't go back" applies here. I would love to go back to 1981 and see the Fair Warning tour again, but we can't. And now I understand why ED and Al said NO to DLR. They may do it for the money eventually, but that is for the wrong reason, isn't it? I also could not help but think how much better the 2 concerts I saw in 1998 with Gary were so much better than this show. His voice was great live, and he can remember the fucking lyrics. I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but the days of VH with DLR are over. I am thankful I attended many shows with them and have great memories because it will never be duplicated again. VH is and always had been Eddie Van Halen to me and this show just proved that to me, because without Ed both DLR and Sammy came accross as subpar to me. Stick a fork in DLR...he is done. And unless Sammy gets a better band, he may be done as well. I hope we hear some new VH in the near future...but I hope it is with a new singer and we can move foward, not attempt to "go back", because it can't happen. And nobody is as sad to say that as I am.