02.09.12 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Diamond Dave finally speaks!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Roth's roadshow is a showdown with Hagar
    08/25/2002

BY ALAN SCULLEY
    Special to the Journal

Most artists who co-headline a tour try to provide at least the appearance of peace and harmony -- of two bands united for the love of music and the common good of their beloved fans.

Not David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.

There's no avoiding the fact that this double bill, coming to the Tweeter Center on Wednesday, is basically a cockfight between two former Van Halen singers, each of whom has staked a claim to being the only legitimate frontman that heavy metal band ever employed.

Witness the many pointed barbs these two have aimed at each other in interviews ever since Roth walked out on Van Halen in 1985, only to see the Red Rocker (Hagar) step into the void, seemingly without missing a beat.

If this tour is indeed a winner-take-all referendum on which was the mightiest of the Van Halens -- the original Roth-led lineup or the Van Hagar unit that consistently topped the charts from 1984 to 1995 -- Roth seems more than happy to let the people decide.

Roth's legendary ego and self-promotional skills were in fine form for this interview, and there's no mistaking who he thinks will be the show's star.

"I think I may have saved Sam from having to do celebrity boxing, at least this season," Roth said. "In terms of the competition, there is a lot of similarity to a NASCAR stock car race. You're either here to see the winner or the crackup. Don't answer, just show up."

To hear Roth tell it, he'll not only overshadow Hagar's tequila-lubricated Cabo Wabo-styled on-stage party, he plans to render most any rock star irrelevant (or at least inferior) by the time he finishes his flamboyant set devoted to his pre-Hagar Van Halen hits.

"I'm in competition with the entire world," Roth declared. "I'm not here doing an exhibition. I intend to compete with the fella in Limp Bizkit (that would be Fred Durst). I intent to compete with Snoop Doggy. I intend to compete with Kid Rock."

"Sam just happens to be on the tracks," Roth continued, unleashing a hearty laugh. "He couldn't even keep up with a mindset like that. Nevertheless, any kind of head-butting we've been doing in the press makes for great show biz.

"And it's the kind of altercation an audience delightedly wants to get in the middle of, because you are delivering absolutely the zenith of each guy's performance."

To be fair, both Roth and Hagar figure to give the fans exactly what they want. And while Hagar has never quite matched Roth's Technicolor talent for showmanship, both are accomplished frontmen who know how to show an arena a good time.

Off their peaks

Indeed, Roth and Hagar need each other at this point in their careers.

Hagar has continued to record regularly, but recent CDs like Red Voodoo and Marching To Mars have found only a modest audience -- a far cry from the multi-million sales of earlier Van Halen albums such as 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

And with the exception of a few stronghold markets such as St. Louis, Hagar no longer displays the arena-filling drawing power when he headlines shows.

As for Roth, he briefly enjoyed success with his 1985 EP Crazy From The Heat and first full-length solo CD, Eat 'Em and Smile. But it's been mostly downhill ever since, as subsequent albums such as Skyscraper, A Little Ain't Enough and Your Filthy Mouth delivered diminishing returns.

His most recent effort, a 1998 DLR Band CD released on his own label, tanked rather spectacularly despite some favorable reviews.

The fact that Roth has recently endured a pair of failed reunions with his former Van Halen bandmates -- guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony -- have only reinforced the notion that Roth very much longs for the glory days of old with his one-time band.

Roth first returned to the Van Halen picture in 1996, recording two songs for a greatest hits album, while Hagar, who was not informed of the pending studio flirtation with Roth, was officially still in the band. A miffed Hagar promptly quit -- although some say he was actually fired -- while the Roth reunion imploded over internal tensions after a performance on MTV.

Despite that debacle, Roth and his Van Halen cohorts took another shot at fence-mending by recording three new tracks in 2000. In interviews at the time, Roth branded the new songs "astonishing," and sounded every bit like a man who expected to have a bright future with his former band.

Nothing, though, has come of this second reunion. And it's clear that Roth considers this a colossal missed opportunity for Van Halen, whose career has sputtered ever since Hagar left the fold.

"Eddie Van Halen is guilty of one crime, wasting time," Roth said. "You want to know how valuable a second is? Ask your buddy who almost had a motorcycle accident. Want to know what the value of a millisecond is? Ask the little girl who just got a silver medal. Eddie Van Halen has wasted years, end of story. Besides, nobody gives a flat [expletive about Van Halen] if Roth's not in the band."

Getting along

Roth, though, avoided the temptation to deliver a jab at Hagar over Van Halen's attempts to rekindle the old magic with Roth. For that matter, he avoided name-calling entirely.

In fact, the two singers had never met until just before the tour -- once in a pre-tour planning session, the other at a press conference to announce the tour. And based on those brief encounters, Roth was cautious about making any judgments on Hagar.

"I fully expect that he's a regular guy," Roth said. "I'm not the boy next door. I would imagine that any similarity between his reality and mine would probably be coincidental."

Instead, Roth took note that, considering past hostilities, the unity he and Hagar are showing with this tour is something rock fans should truly appreciate.

"There's something very predictable and very comforting and familiar about this," Roth said, wasting little time in touting the event. "This is as American as the McDonald's arches. This is as American as cowboy hats. It is symbolic of an event, of a mindset and a point of view as much as the Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett, Hefner.

"It goes well beyond simply a set of songs. I'm speaking for myself now. But it goes well beyond a song list. You're talking about a point of view that is positively almost its own genre right now. Diamond Dave, speaking in third person, might as well have his own area code. It's a place that you can go in your mind. I'm so easy to imagine. I'm much easier to accuse. What fun!"

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar play at the Tweeter Center, Mansfield, Mass., on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20-$50; call (508) 339-2333.

Roth's roadshow is a showdown with Hagar
    08/25/2002

BY ALAN SCULLEY
    Special to the Journal

Most artists who co-headline a tour try to provide at least the appearance of peace and harmony -- of two bands united for the love of music and the common good of their beloved fans.

Not David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar.

There's no avoiding the fact that this double bill, coming to the Tweeter Center on Wednesday, is basically a cockfight between two former Van Halen singers, each of whom has staked a claim to being the only legitimate frontman that heavy metal band ever employed.

Witness the many pointed barbs these two have aimed at each other in interviews ever since Roth walked out on Van Halen in 1985, only to see the Red Rocker (Hagar) step into the void, seemingly without missing a beat.

If this tour is indeed a winner-take-all referendum on which was the mightiest of the Van Halens -- the original Roth-led lineup or the Van Hagar unit that consistently topped the charts from 1984 to 1995 -- Roth seems more than happy to let the people decide.

Roth's legendary ego and self-promotional skills were in fine form for this interview, and there's no mistaking who he thinks will be the show's star.

"I think I may have saved Sam from having to do celebrity boxing, at least this season," Roth said. "In terms of the competition, there is a lot of similarity to a NASCAR stock car race. You're either here to see the winner or the crackup. Don't answer, just show up."

To hear Roth tell it, he'll not only overshadow Hagar's tequila-lubricated Cabo Wabo-styled on-stage party, he plans to render most any rock star irrelevant (or at least inferior) by the time he finishes his flamboyant set devoted to his pre-Hagar Van Halen hits.

"I'm in competition with the entire world," Roth declared. "I'm not here doing an exhibition. I intend to compete with the fella in Limp Bizkit (that would be Fred Durst). I intent to compete with Snoop Doggy. I intend to compete with Kid Rock."

"Sam just happens to be on the tracks," Roth continued, unleashing a hearty laugh. "He couldn't even keep up with a mindset like that. Nevertheless, any kind of head-butting we've been doing in the press makes for great show biz.

"And it's the kind of altercation an audience delightedly wants to get in the middle of, because you are delivering absolutely the zenith of each guy's performance."

To be fair, both Roth and Hagar figure to give the fans exactly what they want. And while Hagar has never quite matched Roth's Technicolor talent for showmanship, both are accomplished frontmen who know how to show an arena a good time.

Off their peaks

Indeed, Roth and Hagar need each other at this point in their careers.

Hagar has continued to record regularly, but recent CDs like Red Voodoo and Marching To Mars have found only a modest audience -- a far cry from the multi-million sales of earlier Van Halen albums such as 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.

And with the exception of a few stronghold markets such as St. Louis, Hagar no longer displays the arena-filling drawing power when he headlines shows.

As for Roth, he briefly enjoyed success with his 1985 EP Crazy From The Heat and first full-length solo CD, Eat 'Em and Smile. But it's been mostly downhill ever since, as subsequent albums such as Skyscraper, A Little Ain't Enough and Your Filthy Mouth delivered diminishing returns.

His most recent effort, a 1998 DLR Band CD released on his own label, tanked rather spectacularly despite some favorable reviews.

The fact that Roth has recently endured a pair of failed reunions with his former Van Halen bandmates -- guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony -- have only reinforced the notion that Roth very much longs for the glory days of old with his one-time band.

Roth first returned to the Van Halen picture in 1996, recording two songs for a greatest hits album, while Hagar, who was not informed of the pending studio flirtation with Roth, was officially still in the band. A miffed Hagar promptly quit -- although some say he was actually fired -- while the Roth reunion imploded over internal tensions after a performance on MTV.

Despite that debacle, Roth and his Van Halen cohorts took another shot at fence-mending by recording three new tracks in 2000. In interviews at the time, Roth branded the new songs "astonishing," and sounded every bit like a man who expected to have a bright future with his former band.

Nothing, though, has come of this second reunion. And it's clear that Roth considers this a colossal missed opportunity for Van Halen, whose career has sputtered ever since Hagar left the fold.

"Eddie Van Halen is guilty of one crime, wasting time," Roth said. "You want to know how valuable a second is? Ask your buddy who almost had a motorcycle accident. Want to know what the value of a millisecond is? Ask the little girl who just got a silver medal. Eddie Van Halen has wasted years, end of story. Besides, nobody gives a flat [expletive about Van Halen] if Roth's not in the band."

Getting along

Roth, though, avoided the temptation to deliver a jab at Hagar over Van Halen's attempts to rekindle the old magic with Roth. For that matter, he avoided name-calling entirely.

In fact, the two singers had never met until just before the tour -- once in a pre-tour planning session, the other at a press conference to announce the tour. And based on those brief encounters, Roth was cautious about making any judgments on Hagar.

"I fully expect that he's a regular guy," Roth said. "I'm not the boy next door. I would imagine that any similarity between his reality and mine would probably be coincidental."

Instead, Roth took note that, considering past hostilities, the unity he and Hagar are showing with this tour is something rock fans should truly appreciate.

"There's something very predictable and very comforting and familiar about this," Roth said, wasting little time in touting the event. "This is as American as the McDonald's arches. This is as American as cowboy hats. It is symbolic of an event, of a mindset and a point of view as much as the Grateful Dead, Jimmy Buffett, Hefner.

"It goes well beyond simply a set of songs. I'm speaking for myself now. But it goes well beyond a song list. You're talking about a point of view that is positively almost its own genre right now. Diamond Dave, speaking in third person, might as well have his own area code. It's a place that you can go in your mind. I'm so easy to imagine. I'm much easier to accuse. What fun!"

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar play at the Tweeter Center, Mansfield, Mass., on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20-$50; call (508) 339-2333.
    New England Patriots.
    Super Bowl XXXVI Champions
    Super Bowl XXXVIII Champions
    Super Bowl XXXIX Champions

"My favorite ring is the next one..." - Tom Brady

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

CLASSY!! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Roth, though, avoided the temptation to deliver a jab at Hagar

Unlike someone else we know!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Daimond Dave taking the high road!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"Nevertheless, any kind of head-butting we've been doing in the press makes for great show biz."

I think these quotes say it all.

Good stuff.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

VH didn't "perform" at the 96 VMA's, they presented. Thats almost as bad as "Entertainment Weekly" stating that they presented an award to Jeff Beck at the VMA's when actually it was just "Beck". One word.. research.