Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

www.knac.com

David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar Officially Announce Co-Headlining Tour!

By Sefany Jones, Assistant Editor
    Wednesday, April 17, 2002 @ 1:36 AM

"Diamond Dave" and the "Red Rocker" Will Join Forces Together On One Stage This Summer

Tuesday afternoon, at a press conference at the open-air Skybar in West Hollywood, California, it was confirmed that two legendary singers have two things in common: they both fronted Van Halen once upon a time, and they now will now both share the same stage this summer, in a major co-headlining tour.

- advertisement -

The very charming “Diamond” David Lee Roth (flanked by yellow, sparkly cat-women and a few midgets) and the subtler Sammy “The Red Rocker” Hagar sat down at the press conference in front of a score of cameras and microphones, to officially seal the deal: they WILL co-headline a summer tour together, with their respective bands.

The two vocalists swapped trademark smiles and amiable banter, as they were both obviously excited about their big announcement. If their camaraderie on stage there was any indication of the tour forthcoming, then it will definitely be a summer event not to be missed!

KNAC.COM was on hand to witness this momentous occasion. Although there doesn't seem to be an official tour name just yet, it is mockingly being dubbed the "Sans Halen" tour. Here is a transcription of the conference, followed by the tour dates that have been confirmed so far:

DAVE: Sam, did you ever think you’d be here?
    SAMMY: Yes.
    DAVE: Actually, Bono called me and said we had to do this for world peace.

SAMMY: First of all, I think about… 5 years ago, when the Van Halen part with me ended, first thing I did was try to contact Dave, and he shot me down, but when he came back, these last few months ago, I think it’s a great idea.
    DAVE: Yes, Sam, you did have the idea first, but the timing was wrong, and now the timing is RIGHT! You know you all love a good scandal, and that’s why you’re here today, ladies and gentlemen! Actually, this is about the second time and such, Sam and I have met, and we’re looking forward to a spectacular tour, something that is a little, uh, a little bit bigger than even just music.

[The press begins asking questions]

[A question is asked about why the timing is right]

DAVE: Because it’s completely unexpected. The worst possible thing, I think, in our industry today, is predictability.

[A question is asked about how to decide who’s headlining]

DAVE: We’re gonna flip a blonde in the next city. You have to think of it as two title fights with no under card -- this is a co-headlining tour here, so we’ll flip a coin, and whoever, you know… heads I win, tails, uh… Sam whichever end, then we’ll flip-flop. One will do one night, then the other will top the bill the next night.

[A question is asked if Dave will join Sammy’s band for a little bit, and then will Sammy go out and jam with Dave’s band?]

SAMMY: Not really.
    DAVE: This is two headlining acts… two complete headlining shows here.
    SAMMY: We’re not going to commingle, unless it just becomes that, it’s not planned -- we don’t know each other well enough for that – (joking) I don’t trust him, let’s put it that way. (laughs)

[A question is asked if they would both be doing Van Halen songs]

DAVE: I’m going to do almost exclusively the Van Halen catalogue… not just do renditions, and not just do, ‘oh, here’s a variation of it’ -- but I have a shit hot band who will serve it large! Large, large, large…
    SAMMY: (Joking) And he’s gonna do some of the Van Halen songs actually that I did, too… Dave’s gonna do those as well… (laughs)
    DAVE: Dave actually WROTE those songs! (laughs)
    SAMMY: I do… from Montrose through Van Halen, through current, and try to squeeze it all in an hour and a half. I’m used to playing for two and a half hours, so, I’m going to squeeze it in to an hour and a half and play what I think is the best of Van Halen. I may do “Running With The Devil” myself! (laughs)
    DAVE: Between the two of us, what you have is quintessential Americana, and you couldn’t pick a more appropriate time for that. Whether you ever owned any of the records or the albums, whatever, between the two of us -- what do you think it is, somewhere between 80 or 100 million records before bootlegs were sold? -- whether you’ve owned it or not, you’ve heard Sammy or my voice tearing out of a pickup truck in front of you at the drive way at the local Burger King for how many fucking summers?! The time is appropriate NOW, because we have a whole busload of people out there who have been waiting way too long for something really good to happen with this music, and we’re gonna serve it this summer!

[A question is asked regarding uncomplimentary things said about one other in the past]

SAMMY: I think that was before we met. Now that we’ve met…well, we’ll come up with some better things to say about each other. (laughs) I mean, still, it’s not like Dave & I are old buddies or anything… I mean, honestly, this is a pretty competitive tour, in my book, I want to do -- try my best to do the best show I’ve ever done in my life every night, and I’m sure Dave’s gonna do that times 10, as well, and I think that’s going to make for great entertainment for the fans that come. They’re going to see probably the best of us ever, and like Dave said, with all those hits… and I just can’t imagine walking away disappointed.
    DAVE: In terms of what you see up on the deck up there, there’s a rivalry between us -- the audience gets the absolute BEST out of both of us. The rivalry does not extend… any rivalry there may have been -- well certainly… nothing that can’t be cured with a little Cabo Wabo tequila! By the way, some of you may not know this out there, -- I’m the one that smells like Jack Daniels.

[A question is asked about their first meeting]

DAVE: Short and sweet. It was in an office. What we are about here is a spirit. What we’re here is about an attitude. It goes beyond just two guys, it goes beyond a list of songs, it goes beyond the last band that we were in… it’s a state of mind and it’s a point of view. Perhaps it’s a state of mind and a point of view that Van Halen has missed twice – twice.
    Sammy and I are like fraternity brothers; we’ve been through the same shitty hazing. We have a lot in common, actually, though I’m sure neither of us are going to admit it until Cleveland. But I think this tour is gonna last way longer than Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love…
    SAMMY: Yeah, I think so! Actually, upon our first meeting that Dave and I had, all we discussed was the creative side: how long do you want to play, how much room do you need on stage, what kind of production are we talking about – ‘cause we just try to make it work. All the business side of it and all that… we left it to other people.

[A question is asked about where the tour will kick off]

SAMMY: Cleveland.
    DAVE: They’re just starting to put the schedule and everything together, that’s why there was a brief delay… we didn’t know if we were gonna have the dates… now, the first twenty shows are in place, and we’re gonna go everywhere that’ll have us, and some who are still thinking about it!
    SAMMY: The question is, where are we going to end the tour? Where is this going to end? That’s the question. How long can we do it? (laughs)

[A question is asked about what the Van Halen brothers think]

DAVE: Well, I’m not sure what the brothers think, and I’m not sure I even really care. I think probably the two biggest words up there on Howdy Doody mountain are, ‘Uh oh!’

[A question is asked about Michael Anthony]

SAMMY: Well, Mike’s been working with me on a side project called Planet US -- that we’re going to do in the fall – so, Mike and I have actually been jamming and playing together, and if he wants to come out and play with me, he’s welcome, and if he wants to come out and play with Dave, he’s welcome. Mike’s a great guy and a great player.
    DAVE: Mike’s a neutral man -- he’s Switzerland in this thing. Once this afternoon is over, they’re gonna blame it all on him anyway. (laughs) Of course he’s gonna wind up out here -- he owns the tequila company -- how wrong is that?!

[A question is asked as to the band members for each singer]

DAVE: I have people who are pretty much unknowns. Fellas who come out of, you know, the local club scene and so forth, -- Ray Luzier, James Lomenzo… I gotta good fella [Brian Young] on guitar…
    SAMMY: I’ve got the same band I’ve had since I left Van Halen, since ’96… I’ve got Mona [Gnader] on the bass -- the queen of rock -- then we’ve got Vic Johnson on guitar and David Lauser on drums, and Jesse Harms on keyboards. The Waboritas is what they’re called.
    DAVE: I have a tattoo of Mona here (Dave points to his shoulder)… I’ll show you later.
    SAMMY: Watch out, Dave, Mona’s a badass! Don’t mess with her!

[A question is asked about whether Gary Cherone would join the tour]

DAVE: (Joking) He’s doing the Vagina Monologues.
    SAMMY: This isn’t really about what’s leftover from Van Halen, this is really about two guys, that kind of really had a long run with Van Halen, and I think we’re both worth of touring together and making a statement, and that’s why there’s no opening act, you know, and there’s no-- we thought about getting an opening act, you know -- Dick Dale or the Beach Boys or somebody like that to add to the party -- but we’re just gonna do it.
    DAVE: You know, the list of songs that are familiar to you is part of the collective consciousness now, you know, when both teams take the field in the series they’re playing classic music that is one or other of our voices here, and like I said, it goes well beyond just what is on that stage -- it’s a state of mind, there is a point of view that is ‘Life lovin’, live large…’ I don’t know… somewhere between what Jimmy Buffet and Limp Bizkit serves up… A Buffet Bizkit!

[A question is asked as to whether they will fit into the scene with the younger bands out there]

DAVE: We don’t. I have no intention of fitting in with anything. We are meters. This is something that is beyond category now. It’s become it’s own genre. It’s become it’s own style. You know you can look at something, and go, ‘Well that’s very rough,’ and, everyone in the room knows what [that] means, they’re just not sure if that’s positive or negative. But anyone [who] imitates Sam, you know right away, you go, ‘He’s doing Sammy Hagar.’ Instantly. Whether you’re a fan of either one of us, or none in the middle, you know it -- instantly. So it’s gone well beyond just a voice or a face or a song.

DAVE: Ladies and gentlemen! All joking aside and nonsense aside for at least four seconds, here. Sam, I am delighted to being doing this with you… (shakes his hand)
    SAMMY: Likewise…
    DAVE: …This is going to be one hell of a summer! You are all invited…
    From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool!

Thanks for the transcript!

I've been looking for it!
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love these two guys! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know what scares me...

Dave sounds frighteningly lucid in this transcript!
    "Just once I'd like to do the right thing and not get punished for it."

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 04:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, we've known for weeks, I've seen the pictures and read the trancript but it's still hard to believe... All I can say is Hell YEA!!!!!
    Everybody wants some...

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Thanks Big D! Wish we could've attendeded!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

10.06.12 @ 06:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am stoked about this tour! I'm there when they come to New York with a bottle of Cabo Wabo and a bottle of Jack daniels!!!!
    Originally Posted by vanzefflin
    This configuration cancels noise or cyclical hum. Hence, the name humbucker. It bucks hum.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sam's reference to Gary Cherone as "VH leftovers" was pretty harsh! But pretty accurate.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That transcipt is awesome and really puts into perspective the attitude these guys are going out to tour with!!!! Man I was smiling ear to ear reading this, it seems like they are getting along fine, and I will remain an optimist on this one!!! I hope Mike joins em'!!!!! Hell I hope Ed and Al do too(but I doubt it).

I give this three 6's!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Play out here on the EAST COAST!!!!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

[ April 17, 2002 at 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Wolfie3 ]</p>
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

Originally posted by Dennis:
    DAVE: Mike’s a neutral man -- he’s Switzerland in this thing. Once this afternoon is over, they’re gonna blame it all on him anyway
    lol! That may be the best line of all. Damn, you read this transcript and it just highlights the point even further of what a couple of buffoons Eddie and Alex really are. [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Reading this was refreshing. After hearing Dave spit out the same lines for 20 years, this was great. It showed he still got it. He was funny, witty, clever, and well Dave
    I am awesome

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, VH, WACF, Balance, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, H4T, I\'m the One, Romeo
    Last Online

12.26.07 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kickass [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody get me a doctor
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only thing that'll totally make this tour kick ass would be some more shows on the east coast. If not cleveland's where i'll be
    "Why behave in public if you're livin on a playground"<p>Van Halen 2002

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Reading this was refreshing. After hearing Dave spit out the same lines for 20 years, this was great.
    Dude, aren't you like 12 years old?
    Delusions of eloquence