Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

If you went to the August 6th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.04.17 @ 02:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my show notes/observations from 7th row center seats...

Sammy opened this event at Alltel in what I believe was a last minute switch(?) At the beginning of the show, I was concerned that only half the seats were filled. Then I looked back after 25 minutes and the place was packed -- at least 75% of capacity. Must have been the week night schedule or people knocking back a few in the parking lot.

No real variations in the set lists as reported elsewhere. Mikey really livened up Sammy's act. The crowd seemed very excited about his appearance and Mike brought his great enthusiasm. Sammy's band is tight with one notable exception: I think Victor was the weakest link in an otherwise solid performance. He hardly moved around on stage and his guitar was buried deep in the mix. Also, he seemed a bit too loose/too many missed notes on the Van Halen material and earlier Sammy tunes. I really enjoy Victor's studio work with Sammy, so I think he's better with his own material than cover tunes.

Musically, Roth's set list is just amazing. Nearly every tune is an immortal classic. Contrary to earlier in the tour, I think the background harmonies by James & Brian were not too bad considering they are hired guns. Granted, it wasn't Mikey, but they really made an effort. At least from my vantage point, Dave's band sounds phenomenal - lots of bass, perfect guitars, and not a beat was missed by Ray on the skins. I cannot say enough good things about Brian Young -- in some ways, he's actually better suited to the live show than Edward Van Halen. Where Eddie would do his improvisations that teeters between genius and masturbation, Brian reproduces the studio tracks note-for-fucking-note. Dave's vocals were as strong as he is physically capable at this point in his career - his 'three flat notes' were spot-on. Dave's upper-body movement was okay, but he just doesn't get the lift ("jump") he did in the old days and it almost seems half-assed to attempt the high kicks without any spring. The biggest detraction for Dave's act, is ironically Dave himself. His Vicadin-laced, Crypt-Keeper smile puts everyone on notice that he's not entirely with us. However, Dave ends the show on a very strong note with 'Jump' where the crowd went ballistic -- more frenzied than any other tune played by either Sammy or Dave.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually, Brian's solo from "So This Is Love?" (available for download here) departs from the recorded version and rivals any live performance I've heard from Eddie on this track, and perhaps on the studio version as well.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy Crap! Why did I have to suffer from missing THAT for 20 years? I should get to enjoy that kinda therapy at least once a month! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] 20 years is too damn long to go without that cleansed Van Halen feeling after a show. I didn't go to this show much to critique this or that or declare a winner so much as to rock and groove and just plug into the music and let it shake me. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] I was stage center row 6 and loved every second. I have read this forum in preperation for the show and was dissapointed that so many people just don't get it. I didn't care who wore what, drank what or looked their age, it was all about the good time party wagon I remembered Van Halen shows to be and they delivered. There's just nothing quite like coming out of one and feeling so ALIVE. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] If you don't come out of one of these shows cleansed and baptised in all that is rock & roll goodness, and find yourself walking away from this show declaring one or the other as the winner, and you're not horse and deaf in one ear with sore muscles from rockin out the next day you just don't get it and probably never will.

The guy in the black Van Halen I T-shirt

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great show!!! I have not been reading all the review so I don't know if it has been mentioned that Hagar has added Best of Both Worlds.

Roth was good but it is really a shame that he plays only VH. I enjoyed hearing those tunes for the first time in years but couldn't get over the cheese factor of touring with a cover band. No orginality in his set at all. If you don't get a chance to see the tour just throw on best of CD and you will get Roth's show. His set basically sounds like a something from American Band Stand. At the end of each tune you kinda just expect the song to fade off. But you know you arn't listening to a track when 2 mins into the show Roth singing Hot For Teacher, a song I can only imagine he has performed over a thousand times, says "Oh shit I'm already forgetting the words". But even as canned as Roth's performance was it was enjoyable and a lot of fun. His voice was strong last night, he looked good and seemed to be having fun. Roth really should of added 5 or 6 solo songs so it didn't seem like a a cheap Van Halen show. I kinda felt like I was watching Fair Warning (our Atomic Punks).

I thought Vic was great, he does what he does and does it very well. But the simple fact that you have Sammy playing guitar on about 75% of the songs makes it a true guitar rock set. Sam is a great entertainer and you can tell he loves every moment he is on stage.

I too was a little upset to see the place so empty to start but about 10 mins into Hagar set the reserved seats were near full and the hill was pretty packed but still plenty of space but I think the place holds about 18,000 when packed. I would guess about 10,000 showed.

All in all a great show and I think a got to see both guys 'A game' on this night.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

LostInTheJetStream you have/had the exact same attitude as me!! I was going there to rock out and not analyze - and rock out we did! I've been a die-hard VH (both eras!) fan since 1980, one of those guys that knows every word to every song, and I can say that both Sam and Dave kicked ass last night!

I went with my girlfriend who was a little apprehensive at first because she felt young (she's 29) and didn't know a lot of Dave material, but she felt great as soon as Sammy hit the stage. I wore a brown leather outback hat and a black BOV1 shirt with all the album covers on the back and I was ready to hear some VH live! Sammy opened, which I think was changed at the last minute, and he flat out rocked the house! We were actually approached to be in Sammy's bleachers on stage, but I declined because I wanted to be facing the band which I kind of regret now because those people looked like they were having a blast! Anyway, just a few hungover thoughts: Vic played great and I was pleasantly surprised. I've seen him twice before with solo Sammy and was not impressed, but last night he was on and looked like he was having fun. Sammy was goofing on Vic's red, baggy pants saying "the whole band could fit in those pants, Vic!" Also, Mikey came out and came out earlier than I expected and the crowd ate it up! It was great to see Mike playing and having fun in concert again with Sammy! Sammy is as good or better than he's ever been as both a vocalist and an entertainer - he's amazing and noone can honestly deny that! I didn't get the impression at all that he was heavily pushing his tequila or his club at all either. It was just a great non-stop jam and even "Eagles Fly" was great IMO and Sam spoke favorably of Ed during the show. "Heavy Metal" kicked ass too. Also, Sammy's waitresses were VERY HOT!

I was actually worried for Dave because I didn't think there was any way he could compete with what Sammy and his mates had just done on stage. BUT, Roth is Roth and he's got a very commanding stage presence. I'd only seen Dave one other time (EEAS solo) and he was great then. He's in phenomenal physical condition and his voice was better than I expected - I thought it was pretty strong. It was so amazing to hear all those classic VH tunes live! One right after the other like a bombardment of great music. I liked Dave's use of the video screens too. The camera angles, clips, and watching Brian tear up the guitar on the big screen was great. And make no mistake - Brian is an AMAZING guitar player and he looks cool up there. He absolutely was the highlight of a GREAT band. The drums were killer too. I noticed the crowd was not nearly as active during Dave's set. There were either in awe or weren't familiar with the material. Whatever. Dave was Dave and did fuck up a fair amount of lyrics, but to me it didn't really matter. I was going crazy dancing, playing air-guitar and entertaining the people around me I'm sure. I now have no voice and am loving it. Anyway, Dave ended with Jump and the crowd went nuts with that. I was surprised and impressed that Dave could follow Sam's performance with such a strong one of his own - very different, but just as entertaining. I'm rambling so I'll end this, but I MUST say that it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen and would say that if you have the chance to see it - GO!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

P.S. As great as it was, it would have been so much better with Al, Ed, Mike, and one or both singers! VH must not die!

[ August 07, 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: dirtymovies ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

RIght Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sat about 10th row center. Am more of a Sam fan but I still was looking forward to seeing Dave.

Sammy was even better than I expected. As I expected from previous reviews his voice was in great shape, and I was impressed with his guitar playing. He is a musician first. But he also put on a great show, really seeming to care about and connect with the audience. No idea if he's sincere, but he made me feel that way. I haven't looked at Van Hagar tour video in a while, but I remember my first impression had been that it might have been a little lackluster, with Sam even sitting down for while. But this Sam was full of energy. Great band too, and I got the feeling they worked as a band, rather than just sidemen (and sidewoman). I like Sammy's solo stuff but the best songs were of course the Van Halen songs, and having Mike come out just made it that much better. He was full of energy.

I liked the pacing and I liked When Eagles Fly--it's a great song, Sam does a great vocal on it, and it gives an old guy a chance to sit down and rest my feet, put my arm around the wife and hope to rack up a couple points for later.

After Sam I must say Dave was a bit of a disappointment. First, in my opinion the sound was terrible. (I realize there's a different opinion on his sound in this same thread from someone who sat near where I sat--all I can say is both my wife and I were surprised at how poor it sounded after how well the first set sounded). Sam's sound seemed clear and the instruments separated, but Dave's sound was muddy, especially the vocals, which is a shame. I really couldn't make out the words clearly. It seemed as though he was in good voice, but even that was lost in the mix.

The songs were great of course but the mud in the sound and the pacing sort of made them all run into one another. Dave is obviously in great shape for his age but I just thought that the Liberace suit was a bit dated and even silly, as were his kicks, which didn't look convincing. My wife was freaked by the enormous grin on his face, which reminded her more of a mask than someone having a good time. Dave's band was superb, and I ended up spending more time watching them, especially the guitarist. For some reason several people around me were sitting down or had left by the middle of Dave's set. Maybe they were just wore out--maybe they just didn't like the show as much. Of course there were a lot of other people around me who loved it.

Bottom line, was expecting to be impressed by Sammy more than Dave, and I was. I was even more impressed by Sam than I thought I would be. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed by Dave as I thought I would be.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tonus doesn't get it. There was nothing wrong with the sound, just your head.

[ August 07, 2002, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: LostInTheJetstream ]

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

First of all, awesome concert. One of the best I've seen.
    Second, I'd like to clear up a few wrongs I've seen around here about Sam and Dave:
    Dave:
    1. Dave doesn't just stand there. He moves a lot, dances, kicks, interacts with the crowd, pretty much like he always did. He may not move quite as fast, but hell, he's nearly 50.
    2. Dave's voice-sounds fine when singing normally. Yes, the scream is pretty much gone, but he still has a short yelp he can do.
    3. Dave's band-they play GREAT, as we've all heard. Their backing vocals suck. The do no justice to VH (Mikey, mainly). No high voices at all.
    4. Yes, Dave's hair is hurting, and his face looks old....but he is still a bad ass. He ain't worried about it, so neither am I.
    Sam:
    1. He's not fat or balding. Who the hell said he has a gut? He pulled his shirt up a couple of times, and I wish I had his "gut". He may not have Dave's abs, but fat he ain't. Christ, he's 54 years old, even if he was fat, it's understandable.
    2. Eagles Fly definitely allowed some folks to go to the bathroom, but Dave caused the same effect when Little Dreamer started. These things happen, and are necessary.
    3. Maybe the 2nd leg is different, but there was no evidence of any Cabo Wabo commercial. He had the bottle pinata drop and he busted it open, but that's it. Just part of the show.

The sound: Dave definitely has a problem with this. I've talked to nearly 20 people today that went, and every one of them said Dave's sound sucked.
    It wasn't too bad where I was at. I could hear it pretty well. Dave did seem to get progressively louder as his set went on.
    Sam's sound was damn good. I guess it all depends on where you sat.
    Overall, great concert. I'd say Sammy started off with a bang, kept it going, and finished up with one, too, even though he closed with Dreams.
    My buddy, who was there for Dave, was blown away by Sam. He said "Dave better bring his A game if he wants to follow that".
    Well, at first, Dave had his B game, but he got it rolling and finished strong.
    I'd say it's almost a wash, with a slight edge to Sam due to better sound and consistency.
    But damn near even. It's comparing apples to oranges anyway, both are good and taste nothing like each other.
    I'd love to see it again. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

Although I was not at this particular show, I was at the June 2nd Chicago show. I am new to the board and couldn't help but to reply. First, I need to get a couple of things out there. Sammy's voice was phenomenal for his age and for the amount of screaming he has done fronting VH. Personally, I think his version of VH was like a lite beer compared to the hard edge of Roths VH. I really wanted to see Roth that night and I really enjoyed his show, but I was still dissapointed in a few things. One, he did not fly around like I have seen on videos, etc. However, realize that Britney Spears and her peer lipsink their concerts because they dance so hard. I guess you have to consider that with roth. How can the guy sing hard rock at age 47 and hop around like a 20 year old? Second, he did not have variety. If you want to see what I mean, check out dlrarmy. They have a Milan '88 live concert by Roth and Vai supporting the Skyscraper album and it was great. One thing I have to say is that he did not sound much better then he does on this tour. You know, talks through some songs, kicks ass on others and is so so on some. I guess that is Roth! Take it or leave it. His look is ridiculous! Get a fuck and pair of jeans and a nice shirt for Christ sake. The hair thing is out of control. I had seen him on a Howard Stern show from 95 with short hair and it looked respectable. What I really want to know is how bad is he getting along with Sammy on the tour. I just can't make it out. Some reports have Sam ripping him a new asshole, but on a CNN report the two gave in NY they seemed fine. I guess we'll find out after the show. All and all a good show, but not the real thing as you would have it with the halens.
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, of course
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Three of the five people who can bring Van Halen back to life were on stage in Raleigh Tuesday night. They didn't disappoint.

I'd seen Dave live before with VH once and twice solo, including the tour that followed the "DLR Band" CD. Saw the 5150 tour and wasn't that impressed with SH then.

This time, however, Sammy rocked. The man has aged well. He plays to the audience, his voice is good, and he sings the songs with the right mix of improvisation and "just like the CD" sound. With the exception of that "Eagles Fly" song, a great set list. Truly impressive. Completely changed my impression of SH.

When I saw Dave on the first date of the DLR Band tour, it was clear that Dave could front any band he so chose. At that time, his voice and the band's sound were great. Dave's version of "Mean Street" that night was better than the original. I wish I had recorded it.

Dave's sound in Raleigh (to me, 28th row) wasn't as good as the DLR Band tour - I heard them trying to fiddle with it early on in the show, and it got better for a minute, then went bad again. I couldn't hear a lot of Dave's vocals. Are they letting the interns do the sound check?

And he did have that "one too many Xanax" look about him. But we're quibbling about minor details. Give Dave a week's rest and a halfway-decent sound person, and he'd be fine. I mean, he's Dave.

The band sounded good - someone here asked whether the current EVH can be as good as Brian Young, and it's a pertinent question. What was the last decent EVH solo? "Intruder?" I'd like to have seen a BY solo that wasn't a cover of EVH.

All in all, a fine show. As I said above, everyone who cares about keeping the Van Halen sound alive was in Raleigh Tuesday night. Brian Young or Victor Johnson can probably play VH-style guitar live better than EVH can right now.

Nobody else has the same skill or desire to do it, so as far as I'm concerned, these guys _are_ Van Halen. Let the two people who can prove me wrong.

[ August 08, 2002, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: _len_ ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I attended the Raleigh show Tuesday night. It was a fantastic show!!!!! I am a huge fan of both eras. The weather was great, which was a big plus. I have been to a lot of shows at the creek late in the summer when it has been uncomfortably hot. I was a little disapointed at the size of the crowd when Sammy was on. When DLR came on the place was probably close to 3/4 full. Sammy's set was good. His voice was right on. It was good to see Michael Anthony on stage, but I didn't think that Sammy gave him the props that he deserved. It was just like a buddy playing bass, rather than Michael Anthony of the mighty Van Halen. Anyway, I thought Sammy's set was great, but kinda fizzled out at the end with When it's Love and Dreams for the encore. Best of Both Worlds was good, I was surprised to hear that.

When Dave came on the crowd was into it from the start. Dave got in the groove right after Hot for Teacher and the crowd was into it all the way. After reading some reviews, i was worried about his voice. I was floored by how good he sounded. The band was tight and the sound was good. Dave motored through his set with full control of the audience. Closed with Jump which is not one of my favorites, but he did it well. He doesn't have the kicks that he used to, but I think that is due to the fact that his pants are too damn tight!

Dave won this one hands down. Anyone who was there and tells you otherwise is a crack smoker! The crowd was most definitely pro-Dave. However, it could have very easily been a different story had Sam closed. I think it is a huge advantage to go on after dark at an outside venue. I would love to see it again.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by ecubuc:
    It was good to see Michael Anthony on stage, but I didn't think that Sammy gave him the props that he deserved. It was just like a buddy playing bass, rather than Michael Anthony of the mighty Van Halen.
    I would agree with you. I was surprised at how "uneventful" Sam made it seem that Mike was there. Maybe the fact that the place was still pretty empty at that point had something to do with it?