Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:55 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

If you went to the June 21st show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy-kick ass

Dave-cover band

It was great to see both of these guys in concert, but Sammy and Mike together again was REALLY cool...brought a great energy to the show. Dave seemed like a cover band, good music, good show, but very dissapointing.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I took three on the border VH fans to the show. So this review will be from the insight of a 12 year old kid that loves green day and some bands I have never heard of, a 45 year old guy that has not seen a rock concert in 15 years, my wife that constantly tells me to turn down the stereo, and me, a guy that lives and breaths VH music for the past 19 years

Sammy opened and the place looked pretty packed after his little 30 min. video ended. The Video was cool to watch. I thought he spoke very highly of his VH years. They started off by Playing RED. The song kicked as did almost his entire set. His set was pretty much the same as the others from this tour. I think he should definately rid of Give to live and Eagles fly from the set. He has 10,000 plus pumped and rockin' and then it all comes to a screaching halt. All you hear during Eagles Fly is, "You want me to get you a beer too?". The highlight of the show was Mike playing Top of the World, Pound Cake (ps: the drill through Eddie's Guitar is not a big deal), Why Can't this be love, 5150 and FWYS in the middle of the set. Before FWYS, Mike asked if he know the next song and sammy said "you should, you wrote it." Then went in to a cool intro about how Eddie came over and disturbed him and his wife to let him hear this new riff. I thought Vic butchered parts of 5150. I almost did not even know what he was playing He puts his own spin on them which is ok with me but i fugure i should at least be able to tell what he is covering (exagerating there). Sammy and Mike looked like best friends that had been torn apart for to long. They mentioned that the night before they played a surprise gig at the Mason Jar, in Tempe AZ, for about 15-30 people. Wouldn't that have been incredible?! Mike came back on for the last song and played Dreams. Mona had to physically pry Mike and Sammy apart after the show. All I was thinking is don't be surprised when Sammy rejoins VH. That may be just wishfull thinking there or maybe I'll add an "Eddymon" to my review and start a bullshit rumor (Sammy to Rejoin VH after the tour"! It Was an incredible show. Sammy kicked ass and the croud was energized. We were all thinking "Damn, how can anyone follow-up after that show." Sammy wanted to make a statement and he made it.

My little clan is thinking no way can Dave top that. I'm just sittin' back thinking to my self, "just you wait. I know Dave's set and this is going to be the shit". I saw VH with Dave back on the '84 tour and I am pumped. I mean how can you go wrong when you are playing Mean Steet, Cradle will rock, Unchained, panama, Ain't talking about Love,and Atomic Punk. His entire set is filled with the best of the best. Then unfrotunately "Blam" I and a portion of the croud is hit with a Eighteen pound sledge. Dave came out with Hot for teacher and you immediatley felt this is not going to take you higher than Sammy's set. I can't believe I just said that, But it is the truth. Don't get me wrong there are some great things to say about Dave's show. His set is unbelievable, but he should play more solo stuff than just "Yankee Rose". But what VH song are you going to pick to delete? Dave's band is unbeleivable. Danm if they don't nail every VH song PERFECT. This Brian Young (hope that name is right) guy is an amazing talent. Close your eyes and Eddie just may be on stage. I thought Dave's voice was excellent(My biased opinion). He even sang all the lyrics I expected much more from Dave being that he is one of the greatest front men in rock history. I sensed the same from to many others given that quite a bit of people sat during much of Dave's set (very sad). I am not trying to over state that everyone was sitting down. There where sections that looked like they recieved the message Dave wanted to send. Dave had some hot ass chicks dancing for him on off stage on the side. He paid a bit too much attention to her at times and not the croud. You probalby would have not known what he was doing if you had center section seats. Dave's set in a nutshell can be summed by this. After the show I am taking a leak and all I heard the other guys talking about was Dave's guitarist.

Before the show I made my brother and father in-law a cd each of sammy and Daves set from what had been posted here from earlier shows. On the way up we listened to both. I asked them what they wanted to listed to on the way back. Both said "Sammy". Enough said!

Dave fan. What?
    Sammy fan. What?
    Van Halen fan - You f**king got it!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Hear About It Later, Cabo Wabo, Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy:

Sammy nailed it -- except for the Give to Live and Eagles Fly -- the momentum comes to a grinding hault.

And to clarify, Mike DID NOT play Top of the World -- that was the second song in the setlist. Mikey came out for Runaround, Why Cant This Be Love, Poundcake, 5150, Finish What Ya Started -- and for the Dreams encore.

Mike never stopped smiling -- and Sammy "officially" made him a Waborita after Mikey was caught "touching" a waitress.

Except for a botched 5150 -- they sounded good from start to finish.

Dave:

Dave was a tad bit louder than Sam -- so, the conspiracy theory of the closer being louder is true. The closer has more energy theory is not valid based on last night.

Dave did a few standing kicks, but was otherwise very laid back -- and NO jumps from the drum kit riser.

Dave talked very little to the crowd -- and did the Jack off bit during Mean Street.

He also flubbed the lyrics to Everybody Wants Some -- and could have done the "forgot the words" bit, but didnt.

The band was tight -- and everyone is right about Brian -- he is an amazing talent, and a good friend on a personal level. Dave shook his hand twice during the concert - pleased with his EVH renditions.

All in all, the show was worth the $50. Although I like all VH eras, I would say the show was a draw - maybe a slight edge to Sammy because of the Michael Anthony factor.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oops.... Mike did play Runaround during his part of the set and not Top of the world.

Good Catch.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Hear About It Later, Cabo Wabo, Poundcake
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right on. I got a bit nervous when they played Top of the World without Mike. Mike is not exactly reliable sometimes. He and I were suppose to go to an Atomic Punks show at the House of Blues last November and he was a no-show -- after I tell Brian and Ralph that Mikey might show up and jam.

But, the man came through in a BIG way.

Another point of interest about the show: Neither Sam or Dave bashed the Brothers or each other. And if you looked close, after Sammy hit the Cabo Wabo pinata, there was an agave worm inside -- the face on the worm was Eddie Van Halen. Sammy kissed him, then slapped him.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LAST NIGHTS REVIEW:

it was my sixth time seeing the show and i must say that david lee blew sammy away. as has been posted before, sammy is relying was too much on tricks and gimmicks and special guest stars to pull of audience reaction. i think he's trying to be the heavy metal version of jimmy buffet!!

sammy's voice is outstanding, the best thing he's got going for him at this time in his career. his guitartist is quite weak and really doesn't have what it takes to pull of the EVH stuff; not at all. sammy runs back and forth and the stage like a kid who needs a tranquilizer, but without any real purpose to it. he's not athletic at all and should stop pushing the damn tequilla crap. seeing MA was nice but again, this isn't turning out to be sammy vs. dave; it's sammy and whatever special guest he can find vs. dave. i give roth credit for not giving into the temptation to garner more audience appeal with tricks, gimmicks, and special guests. he's just showing up and kicking out the best 19 song rock set i've ever heard - plain and simple. sammy's gonna eventually end his show with a scene similar to the "we are the world" all star band!!! it's so obvious. the DJ on the phoenix rock station was even slammin' sammy for his 'all star/tricks & gimmicks" act!!!

roth is in the best physical condition i've ever seen in a guy his age. all the women in the audience wanted him - and bad! i heard one chick yell something to the effect of "do some situps, sammy" - we were laughing our asses off.

after all these years of roth be criticized for NOT singing all the words and talking too much during the show; he's has delivered a vintage van halen show that those critics must just love. his voice is outstanding!!! all these people who say otherwise are just trying to stick up for sammy, trust me, roth's voice is better than you've ever heard him before, ever.

the majority of all people at the place agreed that roth was, by far, the better act and was worth twice the price for the show he put on. what an incredible set of rock 'n roll music - unbelievable. 19 songs you all knew and lived through.

to conclude: sammy seems to just be doing a musical review or something. when he plays those two fucking ballards, it makes you want to puke and put on an air supply album (it's the most sorry i've ever felt for a rocker on stage)!!! he doesn't have the physical appearance to get the chicks going crazy, and most guys i know say prayers every day that they never turn out to look this like guy - what a geek! i like michael anthony, but this is sammy's solo tour, he shouldn't need the help. doesn't MA have anything better to do than follow sammy around the country??? i mean, come on. nobody's giving roth credit for resisting this kinda of cheap bullshit. if i were roth i'd tell sammy that there will be no more, michael anthony, ted nugent, kid rock, monica lewinsky, etc....... or the tour stops - he should. hell, roth is great friends with steve tyler and mick jagger, do you really want to see him invite them out on stage and mix a fuckin' tequilla drink??? pleeeeeeeeeeze.

can't sammy handle the task by himself? i guess we will never know. rumor has it that sammy might have rosie o'donnell come out on stage just to win over the 'fat chick/lesbian" vote from the crowd!!

roth is by far the better talent and act.

sammy hagar = well, sammy hagar - a great singer and very good frontman.

david lee roth = the architect of the van halen mystic and the greatest frontman of all-time.

sorry sammy, history has recorded itself and roth reached higher heights than did you..............Classic Van Halen is a level of creation you just never were able to equal. and that's a fact!!!

Tequilla anyone?
    TX7081040

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh yeah, sammy bashing EVH like that is so pathetic. sammy hagar, have you ever stopped to think what you would have turned out to be if you had not been brought into VH by EVH to replace the original and GREATEST lead singer - david lee roth? you'd still be 'drivin' 55 with the Eagles"!!

Sammy, please do just one situp, just one!!
    TX7081040

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by TX7081040:
    LAST NIGHTS REVIEW:

it was my sixth time seeing the show and i must say that david lee blew sammy away. as has been posted before, sammy is relying was too much on tricks and gimmicks and special guest stars to pull of audience reaction. i think he's trying to be the heavy metal version of jimmy buffet!!

sammy's voice is outstanding, the best thing he's got going for him at this time in his career. his guitartist is quite weak and really doesn't have what it takes to pull of the EVH stuff; not at all. sammy runs back and forth and the stage like a kid who needs a tranquilizer, but without any real purpose to it. he's not athletic at all and should stop pushing the damn tequilla crap. seeing MA was nice but again, this isn't turning out to be sammy vs. dave; it's sammy and whatever special guest he can find vs. dave. i give roth credit for not giving into the temptation to garner more audience appeal with tricks, gimmicks, and special guests. he's just showing up and kicking out the best 19 song rock set i've ever heard - plain and simple. sammy's gonna eventually end his show with a scene similar to the "we are the world" all star band!!! it's so obvious. the DJ on the phoenix rock station was even slammin' sammy for his 'all star/tricks & gimmicks" act!!!

roth is in the best physical condition i've ever seen in a guy his age. all the women in the audience wanted him - and bad! i heard one chick yell something to the effect of "do some situps, sammy" - we were laughing our asses off.

after all these years of roth be criticized for NOT singing all the words and talking too much during the show; he's has delivered a vintage van halen show that those critics must just love. his voice is outstanding!!! all these people who say otherwise are just trying to stick up for sammy, trust me, roth's voice is better than you've ever heard him before, ever.

the majority of all people at the place agreed that roth was, by far, the better act and was worth twice the price for the show he put on. what an incredible set of rock 'n roll music - unbelievable. 19 songs you all knew and lived through.

to conclude: sammy seems to just be doing a musical review or something. when he plays those two fucking ballards, it makes you want to puke and put on an air supply album (it's the most sorry i've ever felt for a rocker on stage)!!! he doesn't have the physical appearance to get the chicks going crazy, and most guys i know say prayers every day that they never turn out to look this like guy - what a geek! i like michael anthony, but this is sammy's solo tour, he shouldn't need the help. doesn't MA have anything better to do than follow sammy around the country??? i mean, come on. nobody's giving roth credit for resisting this kinda of cheap bullshit. if i were roth i'd tell sammy that there will be no more, michael anthony, ted nugent, kid rock, monica lewinsky, etc....... or the tour stops - he should. hell, roth is great friends with steve tyler and mick jagger, do you really want to see him invite them out on stage and mix a fuckin' tequilla drink??? pleeeeeeeeeeze.

can't sammy handle the task by himself? i guess we will never know. rumor has it that sammy might have rosie o'donnell come out on stage just to win over the 'fat chick/lesbian" vote from the crowd!!

roth is by far the better talent and act.

sammy hagar = well, sammy hagar - a great singer and very good frontman.

david lee roth = the architect of the van halen mystic and the greatest frontman of all-time.

sorry sammy, history has recorded itself and roth reached higher heights than did you..............Classic Van Halen is a level of creation you just never were able to equal. and that's a fact!!!

Tequilla anyone?
    [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] GREAT REVIEW ONE TIME YEZ YEZ YEZ!!!!!!That's what I'm talkin' 'bout nah!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I tend to disagree with TX7081040 review of the show. That seems like quite the negative review of Sammy...but you are probably a Roth head, so if that's your opinion, that's cool.

Last night's show was awesome on all fronts for me.

Sammy came out with his "A" game. His voice sounded great. Everyone in the audience seemed to be into the show. True, everyone did go for beers during the slow songs, but that happens at every concert. I don't get why anyone would say bad things about Vic's guitar playing. He is not in a tribute band and probably doesn't want to play Ed's songs note for note. The guy is a good guitarist.

Sammy could tone down the tequila ad thing....I think after selling a million cases of the stuff last year, I'm pretty sure he's well off.

It was awesome to see Mikey with Sammy again. Saw the Las Vegas show a month ago when Mikey was there and Mikey's voice just adds that missing ingredient in the Van Halen songs.

I really liked it when Sammy was doing his intro for "Finish What You Started" and he was telling the story about how Ed came over to his house late at night with the song idea. Then Sammy wraps up the story with how he goes back upstairs to his wife and tries to finish what they started and she proceeds to say no, Sammy's line was classic. "I reach down between my legs, and eased the seat back". Then they launch into the song. That was pretty funny.

Dave brought out his "A" game too. Saw him last year in Vegas and this time around he was much better. His voice was better this time. He didn't talk much at all during the show which is quite different. The band was ripping. Brian is a good guitar player. If you close your eyes, it could very well be Edward. I'm glad that he is getting this opportunity to play with Dave. I have seen him probably 20 times with the Atomic Punks and the man does have talent. "Yankee Rose" was great also. I wish Dave would do a couple more solo songs though.

I didn't understand why half of section 204 were sitting down during Dave's show. I wasn't going to sit down for a second of Dave or Sammy.

In talking to many people last night after the show, most of them preferred Sammy's show to Dave's show. Most people commented on how great it was to see Dave again, but it just seemed like he was doing a cover band thing.

All in all, it was a great night for Van Halen fans once again. I think the 10-12,000 fans in attendance had a great time and enjoyed both shows quite thoroughly.

In response to some people bitching about Sammy having friends come out on stage with him....what the hell is wrong with that? So Sammy has some friend come out and jam with him on stage. Isn't that what rock and roll is all about? Having a good time with friends?

[ June 22, 2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: rxman ]
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Check out one of the best bands to come out of Arizona. Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. www.rogerclyne.net

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

It is interesting to see the different perspectives of Friday's show. I went primarily to see DLR since I haven't seen him live since 1988. I have always been partial to Dave-era VH and his solo work to Sammy, although I like Sam.
    The show started out with Sammy doing his thing. I saw a Waborita show on the Red Voodoo tour and this was very familliar. Mikey on stage was great and it really pumped energy into the audience. Other than the atrocity that was "5150", Sammy's show was solid. Eagles Fly DID kill the momentum of the show momentarily though. The girls gone wild video during Poundcake was disturbing. There are some people who shouldn't be exposing themselves for any camera, let alone one that is going to be used for public viewing. Ugh, that was some nasty shit. Overall though, not too bad.
    Dave came out after a short set change. The setlist has been debated and I agree, he needs some more solo stuff in there. Sonically, after a rough first couple of songs Dave pulled it together and sounded better than he has in a decade. He hit everything great. The band was KILLING. Brian Young was amazing as usual (I have seen him many times with the Punks). The only critical thing I can say about the show is that Dave was hard to watch. I don't know if he was saving himself for tonight's show in SoCal, but there was almost no energy coming from Dave. He would give off an occasional burst of energy, do some karate moves, and then stand around looking kind of lost. At times he was Ozzy-ish, just shuffling around. About mid-set most of the second and third sections of the amphitheater sat down and stayed down. Not that the music or antics was bad, just kind of lifeless. It is disappointing for me to say this and I hope it was an abberation and Dave rebounds, but from a live point of view a DLR/VH reunion would need to be much more consistent for me to be excited about.

Jack

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

let me say my 3 cents worth
    hi im david. located in phoenix, me and my friends headed out to the show and sammy opened ofcourse .

i tend to be biased for roth as my favorite frontman.
    but i will give sammy his due anyday or anyone else who i see.

sammys show first off i have to agree brings a lot to the table, maybe too much.
    with his 30 passenger brigade of fans on stage.
    giveing it the boxing max ringside look.
    to the mexican pinyota however you spell it. tequilla bottle being lowered to stage and wacking it with guitar.
    now lets get to the music, which is all i care about. dont get me wrong the sluts he had on stage giveing drinks is nice.
    starting out with red. which is a song i would delete from the show if i were him weak.
    the next few songs liven the show too a constant level of this is great.
    the low part of sammy s set is eagles fly and give to live, delete delete, i walked off and drank beer. till the break was over lol
    the rest of the songs kicked ass.
    michale on stage was the highlight of the show,
    iits easy to to get caught up in the mike onstage and im sure sammy wanted it that way.

the low part of sammys show is, without no doubt in my mind dreams.....
    what the fuck,, sams keyboardist is the worst, ive ever heard. maybe its just me.
    but he ruined the song, sammy was singing it,rightmbut getting drowned out by bad keyboards.

my grade goes like this
    singing sam= A
    BAND= B-
    STAGE SHOW= B+
    ADITIONAL NOTES., KEYBOARD SUCKS, LOOSE SOME SONGS

DAVID LEE ROTH

starts of with a allmost predictable show
    if you have been to his shows in the last few years.
    i being a david lee roth head will be biased but i also tell the truh for most part.
    hotfor teacher great opener and band sounded great. but i thought dave wasnt trying to hard to sing it right.
    as for the next 4 songs. he gradually got going better the crowd was loveing it.
    he was hiting high noted all thru this show
    i have never seen him do that in the past
    he was makeing it an issue.
    just past halfway point in his show.
    i dont remember which song now but, the david lee roth lost the crowd.
    it was around mean street... people started sitting down, of course i didnt, fuck all those ashole, i stood up thru sammys set even in songs i didnt like. damed if i was gonna sit thru daves.
    at the end of the show. dave had drawn some folks back to standing. which was nice.
    the finally jump was great. high kicks and drum riser kick splits.
    too bad some of the crowd had left, so the could get home quicker.

great show by both thou.
    as far as anything else. the was an episode where dave did a spin kick and about lost his ass. he fell to the floor catching himself.
    just before he made a scene.
    slippin on whiskey he spilt.
    dave usually drinks whiskey from the ole jack, but he seemed to be swigging it like a kid.
    maybe he was hung over. he didnt seem to want to much jack near him lol

well all in all i loved daves show.
    his band kicked sammys band all over the floor
    and some.
    dave did good, but i exspected better.
    ive seen better at the cajun house scottsdale with exception to his high notes he did perfect.
    dave could use a little excitement on his stage.
    maybe add a hot forteacher girl gimmick and
    throw in ajack daniels bottle on stage etc
    hell add a cheesy fan spectator seats
    or run to the edge of the crowd and walk out into the venue, hit on some women lol
    well thats enough of my shit..

david lee roth
    singing= A
    band = A+
    stage show= b

additional notes
    there was a fan who ran accross stage during one of the songs of dave set. crazed wild man..

well all in all i say the show was great.
    theres improvement on both parties needed i think
    neither one just blew me away that night.
    i loved it and would go back.
    brian young is kick ass.

and for the sammy fans i have to agree with that one guy posting earlier.
    sammys guitarist vic.
    he isnt good. he sounds like crap.
    he plays some things ok, but those importnat licks he isnt hitting them.
    i know sammy fans dont care, but i do. if your gonna sing a van halen tune or play it, do it the right way.
    later gators.
    all in all if i were to give winner i would let sam have this show. and i hate to say it.
    daves show lacked something tonight.
    sammy had the crowd, even thou his band wasnt helping anything to keep them.
    sam pretty much did it on his own.
    dave will allways be the winner with me thou. but i give sam this round.
    (( back up bitch! i missed the order box, move your ass back please , so i can order my food,((well if you would have pulled up to the right place in first place.,. look lady back the fuck up or im gonna cap your ass!! yeah uh ill take a#4 quarter pounder plain with cheese only.!!!! drive thru please !!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

08.21.15 @ 01:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i like michael anthony, but this is sammy's solo tour, he shouldn't need the help. doesn't MA have anything better to do than follow sammy around the country???

==================================================

But its OK for you to?
    Seems like you've shown up to more shows than Mike. 6 times?
    Well that liquor in the night-time leaves strange memories. Seems a lifetime, since yesterday...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this isn't a review, but I do wonder something. It seems Dave is having a "vanilla stage" by not having all the gimmicks onstage and just letting the music do the talking...nothing else. not much crowd interraction, same setlist, no Mike.

IF Dave were to have all of the gimmicks ala props and such as well as more "rapping" with the audience, invite Mike onstage with him, does anyone think it would change opinions of the "Winners of the shows"?

I am a "Dave head", but I do give props to Sammy for putting on a good show. I have not been to one, but from reading most if not all of the reviews, he is doing a great job.

I guess what I am saying is, if Dave were to have a bar onstage serving Jack Danniels and stop between songs to chat instead of the non stop Roth @ roll party he is throwing, do you think it would be different? Yeah yeah he doesn't have the vocals like Sammy, but I mean for the over all show. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like Dave has always said,

"If you can't do it in a pair of jeans under one light bulb on a bare stage, you can't do it."