Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get That Stuff No More
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is possibly only one real precedent for the kind of tour now being embarked on by SAM & DAVE: When Yes briefly united both eras of their work (Anderson & Rabin) and went on tour in the early 1990s.

I was at the Union show and I must say that the crowd was divided (nearly 50-50) into either the pre-90125 or the post-90125 camp. I swear that for about 75% of the show the early-Yes folks would literally sit down whenever a later-era song was played. When early Yes was played, the opposite would happen, it was quite an amazing thing to behold, albeit disturbing.

The turning point in the show happened about 3/4 of the way through when they played SAVING MY HEART. For reasons inexplicable to me, EVERYONE stood and cheered for this song. From that point on the crowd was united regardless of which era is played.

IMO, this is key for SAM & DAVE. If there is going to be a uniting encore, it should come at the end of the 1st singer's set and should be a song everyone can get behind and react to. Otherwise, there will be mass exodus for the second singer's set which will doom the tour.
    DIAMOND MAFIA FOREVER!<br /><br />"...How many times can somebody lie 'till patience runs its course..."<br /><br />DAVE AND SAMMY '02...DARE I SAY, "THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, PT. II"

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I pay big bucks for a Dave/Sam show, I'm staying for BOTH damn halves!
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

good points man [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] !

it would suck for either guy to have to watch parts of the crowd leaving because they are coming on. i cannot see people leaving when dave comes on. but you never know.

they said, i think, that they have no plans to do encores together right now, i think that they should.

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anderson and Rabin worked together for a couple discs before Union. you mean Trevor Rabin and Greg Howe? they got Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford back for a while, too.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    Anderson and Rabin worked together for a couple discs before Union. you mean Trevor Rabin and Greg Howe? they got Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford back for a while, too.
    It's not a clean comparison b/c Yes had 1 singer (if you don't count the awful Tormato album) throughout. However, their fans do break down by ERA.

Early Yes is Squire, Anderson, Wakeman, Howe and Bruford/White.

The "break" occured in 1982 when Rabin came on board resulting in 90215 and Big Generator. These albums were much different stylistically and alienated the Yes purists who rejected these albums completely.

It got really wacky in the late 80s, when Squire and Rabin were getting ready to release a Yes album without Anderson and Anderson was working on ANDERSON, WAKEMAN, BRUFORD and HOWE's 2nd release (they were legally denied use of the YES moniker for the project). Squire wanted Anderson for a few songs and as the projects came closer together they were merged and released as YES-UNION. [note: If you check the credits for that CD, you'll see that they are split between Rabin/Squire projects and AWBH projects]

WHEW!!!

Anyway, the tour basically featured every player that was ever in YES save one or two. However, the split among the crowd was more than clear.

OWNER OF A LONELY HEART - Half the crowd sat down and read newspapers.

LONG-DISTANCE RUNAROUND - The other half borrowed the newspaper from their neighbor and took a seat.

It was amazing. I was among about 20 people who enjoyed all the material.
    DIAMOND MAFIA FOREVER!<br /><br />"...How many times can somebody lie 'till patience runs its course..."<br /><br />DAVE AND SAMMY '02...DARE I SAY, "THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, PT. II"

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Demon, don't forget "Drama," their sole Anderson-less album. You may be thinking of it instead of Tormato, which was awful. Drama was a great disc.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    Demon, don't forget "Drama," their sole Anderson-less album. You may be thinking of it instead of Tormato, which was awful. Drama was a great disc.
    I stand corrected on that, thanks. I only have the boxed set so I get the titles mixed up sometimes. "Going for the One" was another album in that time-period that I get confused about as well.

Anyway, the only Anderson-less YES disc had Trevor Horn on vocals, who produced most of their stuff when he wasn't singing. Not a bad singer as I recall. Also, not present on YES-Union (unless he produced the album).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Isn't Union that band with one of those ex-KISS guitar players???
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jon Anderson will always be the voice of Yes. Trevor Rabin was Steve Howe's replacement, not Anderson's. Rabin sang a little on the Yes records that he was a part of, but then Keith Richards sings a couple songs on every Stones album too.

I think the reason the Union album came about is that Squire and Rabin realized they couldn't make a Yes record without Jon Anderson.

It's also a little known fact that 90125 didn't begin as a Yes album. Originally, Squire and drummer Alan White were working with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page in a project called "XYZ Band" (Ex Yes & Zeppelin). Page's drug problems and depression after the death of John Bonham made it impossible. The project was abandoned and Squire & White found Trevor Rabin and keyboard player Tony Kaye and began recording an album under the name "Cinema". It was only after Jon Annderson joined the group that they became the 80's version of Yes. Since Squire is the only band member to appear on all the Yes albums, he has retained legal rights to the band name, which is why ABWH could not call themselves "Yes" despite a majority of original members.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotta hand it to ya FORD, at least you're consistent: A purist to the end.

IMO, 90125 is one of the all-time greatest rock albums and the tightest, most complete YES album. Then again, I'm also of the opinion that the best Grateful Dead studio LPs were IN THE DARK and BUILT TO LAST!!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by DemonDLR:
    Gotta hand it to ya FORD, at least you're consistent: A purist to the end.

IMO, 90125 is one of the all-time greatest rock albums and the tightest, most complete YES album. Then again, I'm also of the opinion that the best Grateful Dead studio LPs were IN THE DARK and BUILT TO LAST!!
    Well, I would argue that Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are better than either, but I have all of the above.

As for Yes, I don't consider the 80's lineup to be Van Hagared or anything like that.... Union is actually one of my favorite Yes albums because it's got both the 70's classic lineup and the more recent crew on there. I will admit that I consider Steve Howe a better guitarist than Rabin though [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that this thread has gotten totally off-topic, I'll help it along with some YES thoughts:

-90125 is a classic album, but overall I prefer golden-era discs like Fragile and Relayer.
    -The lack of Jon Anderson probably helped make Drama a great disc. Very moody and bleak. And it had some fine vocals by the likes of Trevor Horn and crew.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Union tour was a good idea!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post