Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

I just read the transcript for the press conference.

Does anyone else feel that Sammy (since this is only the second time together) was intimidated by the very dominant Dave?

Sammy may be thinking "Holy Shit this guy is always on 120%! I'm usually the lead vocal guy"

Sammy was definatly the 2nd banana at the conference.

OR

Maybe Sam was being his laid-back old self???

Just a feeling I got while reading the script.

Rocket

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Sammy is just more laid back.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah...

Sammy is just more laid back...

Besides, I thought Dave was very complimentary toward Sammy. Especially at the end of the conference... He actually was kinda humble toward Sam.

DAVE: Ladies and gentlemen! All joking aside and nonsense aside for at least four seconds, here. Sam, I am delighted to being doing this with you… (shakes his hand)
    SAMMY: Likewise…
    DAVE: …This is going to be one hell of a summer! You are all invited…

To me...I think he was sincere. THIS is why this tour is happening. Dave is being nice as well as respectful...So is Sammy. How long will it last? Who knows...Just enjoy it while it does.

[ April 18, 2002 at 10:25 AM: Message edited by: THE MARD ]</p>
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Maybe he is just more laid back......

I remember Sammy being worried back around MTV'96 that VH with Dave would be huge and sort of blow his era away.

When Dave does what he does best he is very hard to compete with.

Not Sammy bashing at all here, I think he has a great voice and is a cool front man.

Just reading that transcript gave me a feeling that Sammy may be realizing that Dave's schtick is what made VH (not discounting guitar here folks) unique and Super Stars.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maybe sam's so stoned he don't give a shit..

[img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dave has always been a man of many words, and knows how to be creative with his words at the drop of a dime. Sam I think is more laid back, and just Dave say mmore, since Dave is more "colorful" with his language. They both seemed to get along fine, and Dave definately threw some compliments Sam's way which was kool. Remember, even back in the day when Dave and VH were at war, Dave was still very complimentary and respectful to that(dlr) era of the band and to Ed as a musician.

[ April 18, 2002 at 11:12 AM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]</p>

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Sammy conducted himself well and sounded good. Dave was Dave...

Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

....hey....i love 'em both ....dave's gonna have to pull every ttrick out in the bag....midget's , girls etc....on the other hand , when Sam get's a hold of that P.A " we all will know "....i cant help it , i dont like that phone call from dave to sam , telling sam NOT to do this & do that...another words that would completly blow dave out of the water...SAM if dave goes LARGE...YOU GO LARGE

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yosemite Sam iz lucky Diamond Dave didn't parachute or fly in on a gigantic surfboard! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy was his own man, and that's precisely why I love him so much. Hey, ya know what, I can say the same about Dave.
    FINALLY
    These two icons of Americana will be forever considered equals in the eyes of everyone.

Equals, and I dig it!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get That Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is interesting how the press conference revealed the true character of each man.

Dave is the consummate showman and entertainer; always trying to come up with something different, a new trick up his sleeve to WOW the audience. He is also very excitable. It showed back in 96 and ended with him looking foolish for getting so excited about a "reunion" that was never intended to happen.

That is Dave and it's not Sammy's bag at all. Sam has always been about his music. Like it or hate it, he could care less about the show and the props, he'd rather mix it up musically and belt out tunes the only way he knows how. This is why VH changed so much with Sammy; he really has no distinct personality (that's not a dig, honestly), he just plays. However, he also sings better and more predictably than Dave so he is less likely to alienate the casual fan (hence the record sales). This doesn't mean that his stuff isn't as good (some is, some isn't), but it takes fewer chances.

For those who loved the unpredictability and zaniness of DAVE, Sam Halen was a U-turn and, ultimately, a letdown. For those who keyed in more on the songwriting and the heart and passion of the band for music, Van Hagar could be at least equal to, if not better than, Halen's best work.

Is Sam intimidated? no. He knows he has the goods and he knows he can bring it, musically. Did Sam feel out of place at the Press Conference? Probably, and it showed. But, again, that's not Sam's bag. He just asks two questions: Where's the stage at? and Where do I pick up my guitar?

These are going to be amazing shows, unparalleled in recent memory, mark my words!
    DIAMOND MAFIA FOREVER!<br /><br />"...How many times can somebody lie 'till patience runs its course..."<br /><br />DAVE AND SAMMY '02...DARE I SAY, "THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, PT. II"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

DEMON DLR FOR MO' FUCKIN' PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

hit it right on the head man....

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Some good points, thanks!!

Not stirring sh*t here but:

Do you think that possibly Sam was into doing a joint tour cause he thought Dave was easy road kill if you compare the two (here in 2002) and might finally prove his point that Van Hagar was better than VH1? Remeber, he didn't think he should open for Dave (i.e. better than) and then realized it was his ego in the way.

I could really be reaching here, but his relative silence at the conference and his extrememly uncomfortable photo with Dave and his wacky group just gave me this thought.

You know that saying: be careful what you ask for......

Maybe comparing "Why Can't This Be Love" to "Unchained" in the same evening is not such a great idea?

Personally.... I can't wait to see the show and I will definatly stay for both. They will give 120% for sure. Curious to see Ed's response.

Rocket

ps.. The comment from Sammy about Dave truly thinking he is actually the best also adds a little for me.

[ April 18, 2002 at 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Rocket ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At first glance, I was against this idea of a co-headliner tour. BUT, now that it has fallen into place, I'm TOTALLY into it!

As far as Sammy's uneasiness with Dave, well, it's just because Sam is a more mature person, who knows there's a time and place for everything. Dave, on the other hand, has no problem turning a press conference in to a circus. Sammy knows what he's getting into when he organized this thing, that's why he's letting Dave be Dave.

Why is Sammy doing it? I honestly think he's doing it for the fans. Plus, of course, the money. As far as trying to prove something...I don't think so. I've been a Hagar fan all my life and I think Sammy is at the point in his career where he doesn't feel he has to prove anything. It is, what it is.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain"t Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by the van baron:
    ...i cant help it , i dont like that phone call from dave to sam , telling sam NOT to do this & do that...another words that would completly blow dave out of the water...
    How do you know Dave ACTUALLY made that call, someone made that BS call up, you cannot believe things you read or hear unless you see or hear it in the first person.