Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

If you went to the August 22nd show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them. That means, no Dave vs. Sammy wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Went to the show at the Meadows in Hartford last night. Hagar came on first and then Roth. It was like seeing a professional artist Vs a Kareoke act. Sammy kicked ass and took names. He was real, he sounded excellent, he did not try to be a VH cover band. He just got up and did his thing. Roth was absolutely horrific. This is not just my opinion. It was noticeable throughout the crowd that most people were totally disappointed with his show. People wanted to get into it but they couldn't. Roth was robotic the whole time on stage, he was off key 75% of the time. He was in good physical shape, but unless your one of those people that like watching him shake his ass that's about the only good thing you could say about him. His band was tight and the guitarist was note for note perfect. Even that could not help him. He had a few good moments on You really got me, Dance the night away. He butchered the only hit song he ever had in his solo career "Yankee Rose" If this is the normal situation I would not want to follow Hager if I was Diamond Dave. The difference in musicianship was night and day. As I walked out of the concert before Roth did "dreaded" Jump the comments from the people were not good. I once thought that VH could at least do a reunion tour with Roth. No way in God's green earth. He's through! Sammy could use to lose 25lbs and he even made fun of the outfit he was wearing. He did thank Roth for going on tour with him at the end of the show. Sammy's guitarist could not replicate Eddies style but I don't think he actually tried. He is a good guitarist, no Eddie to be sure. Although Hagar mixed it up pretty well, I wished Sammy had done one or two Montrose songs. He didn't.

[ August 23, 2002, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Vince ]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

11.19.16 @ 03:37 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Well, what can I say?
    Been a fan for over twenty years and have enjoyed the music all the way through, but last night left me wondering.

Sammy opened the show and did his thing; partying, drinking, waitresses, some good rock & roll. Some solo stuff and lots of Halen. Good set overall.

Roth was not good. The man is stuck in 1982. His voice is shot, he's looking old and at this point just playing the part. He even forgot the words when performing "You really got me". As a long time Halen fan it was hard to watch him on stage.

Brian Young is excellent. It great to finally see & hear him live.

Overall, glad I went to the show. But left a little empty.
    Peace

[ August 23, 2002, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: mr.jimbo ]
    VAN HALEN...ROCK ON

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

went to the show last night... no need for some long drawn out review... dave rocked the place- the majority of the crowd (young and old) were there to hear the original sound... and dave delivered it big time- awesome show, awesome sound, awesome band, awesome time... and dave just rocked like he always did....

sammy sounded alright from the video screen in the parking lot...

definitely had a football game vibe- lots of rivalry amongst the fans (can sense it by the first couple posts by sammy fans already) one fight broke out in my aisle... and i had the mispleasure of having a pro-sammy heckler behind me screaming out his opinions of dave in between songs- kinda' sounded like a lone bears fan at lambeau field when the packers are winning 31-3 in the 4th quarter, but whatever you're into... 99% of the crowd were digging the show and the classic tunes big time- and i was definitely with the majority this time...

dave still is, and always will be the king- and THE singer of VH... needs to get back with them once before i die...

happy bashing all...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

light up the sky
    Last Online

04.16.14 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just wanted to post a quick review of last night's show. ROCKIN'! Sammy opened and simply kicked ass. The waboritas are really tight. Sammy didn't do any brother(ed & al) bashing. The man truly throws a great party. By the end of Sammy's show I felt Dave would have a hard time topping Sammy's performance. Did he ever!
    Dave blows live! Yes, I said it, he really blew last night. The band was good, not great, but good. The setlist was outstanding the performance was horrible. The man been performing live for what like 30 years! His live sticke'(sp?) is pathetic. In the middle of you really got me, the band was blowin' through the tune when Dave blew the lyrics and actually said in his best dave voice,"Let's take it for the top!" The band seemed to blow it off and continued playing. I truly think that the band, eddie clone, ray,and james, are very talented but they didn't have the vh feel. The famous brown sound was clearly missing as were alex's signature cymbal sound. The cymbal sound was missing from both bands.
    In the middle of Dave's set my buddy turned to me and said, "Dude, Dave sounds like William Shatner(price-line commercials) he'stalking his way through all the songs". To sum up the whole evening, It was like Sammy was blowing up the party balloons,getting the whole placed pumped and rockin,and Dave simply let them go. Difficult conclusion to what I feel would have been completely different if Sammy closed. Dave's definetly an opening act. No war here, just facts.
    Peace

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 55starfire:
    went to the show last night... no need for some long drawn out review... dave rocked the place- the majority of the crowd (young and old) were there to hear the original sound... and dave delivered it big time- awesome show, awesome sound, awesome band, awesome time... and dave just rocked like he always did....

sammy sounded alright from the video screen in the parking lot...

definitely had a football game vibe- lots of rivalry amongst the fans (can sense it by the first couple posts by sammy fans already) one fight broke out in my aisle... and i had the mispleasure of having a pro-sammy heckler behind me screaming out his opinions of dave in between songs- kinda' sounded like a lone bears fan at lambeau field when the packers are winning 31-3 in the 4th quarter, but whatever you're into... 99% of the crowd were digging the show and the classic tunes big time- and i was definitely with the majority this time...

dave still is, and always will be the king- and THE singer of VH... needs to get back with them once before i die...

happy bashing all...
    See...THIS is the sort of shit I hate. You pay a lot of money to go to a concert, only to have some asshole heckle you or get so fucked up he barely knows who he is. Fighting? WTF? I like a good brawl as much as the next guy, but c'mon! If you HATE one of the performers, LEAVE! Come back when your guy comes on. Have a little courtesy for the other folks around you...We're all here to have a good time...I dunno...I guess I'm getting old...

[ August 23, 2002, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: THE MARD ]
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by THE MARD:
    [QB][QUOTE]Originally posted by 55starfire:
    [qb]went to the show last night... no need for some long drawn out review... dave rocked the place- the majority of the crowd (young and old) were there to hear the original sound... and dave delivered it big time- awesome show, awesome sound, awesome band, awesome time... and dave just rocked like he always did....

Mard, I agree, you would have had to see both shows to see the difference in them both. "Dave Rocked the house" This is one of those undying Roth guys who refuses to see the truth. If you were any kind of music fan which a lot of people were last night you would have seen Roth's performance as disgraceful. This guy can't tell me that the overall feel of the concert go'ers was favorable when Roth was on. You could feel the disappointment

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, to start off, I'm a huge Dave era VH fan, never cared that much for the Sammy era songs, but kept on listening because of Eddie. After last night though, Sammy's performance really won me over. Classic Van Halen will always be my favorite, but Dave will never be rejoining that band.

Sammy's set was really good and a lot of fun. His band has a great feel. No, the guitarist is no Eddie and he did mess up a bit in "Runaround", but all in all, he's fine. Mona rocks! She adds a great vibe to the show. And Sammy is just having a blast up there. His voice sounds great.

Then came Dave. I just couldn't believe what I was watching. His actions were bizarre. What the hell is with the weird arm movements? Is he coked out or what? The band was fine, the guitar player knows his Eddie. The drummer is no Alex though and those harmonies Mike adds were sorely missing. It just really looked like a Van Halen cover band with Roth singing. And that fuck up on "You Really Got Me" was sad. "I lost my concentration!?!" Give me a break. Between that and his hitting on the girl in the front row, I really felt sorry for him. He just looked like a washed up rock star.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by Vince:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by THE MARD:
    [QB]
    Originally posted by 55starfire:
    [qb]went to the show last night... no need for some long drawn out review... dave rocked the place- the majority of the crowd (young and old) were there to hear the original sound... and dave delivered it big time- awesome show, awesome sound, awesome band, awesome time... and dave just rocked like he always did....

Mard, I agree, you would have had to see both shows to see the difference in them both. "Dave Rocked the house" This is one of those undying Roth guys who refuses to see the truth. If you were any kind of music fan which a lot of people were last night you would have seen Roth's performance as disgraceful. This guy can't tell me that the overall feel of the concert go'ers was favorable when Roth was on. You could feel the disappointment
    Actually I'm not bashing 55starfire review. He's a Roth-head and I expect him to favor Dave. My ripping is towards ALL ASSHOLES who can't handle their alcohol and ruin a good time with their drunkiness.
    You go to a show, get drunk or high or both, that's fine, but why do you have to get mean? Don't fuck with people. Enjoy yourself.
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/"5150"
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/"5150"
    Last Online

02.09.12 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Still trying to pick up the pieces of the brain cells I destroyed last night....

Last night was just an overwhelming night of rock and roll!
    I wasn't originally planning on going to this show, since I am going to the Great Woods show Wednesday, but I just couldn't help myself. Walked up and ended up scoring tenth row tickets (from the box office, which scared me a bit).

Sammy came on a few minutes after 8:00 and was just electric. What I enjoy most about Sammy's live shows is that he appears very geniune and you can just tell he's having a blast on stage. Pretty cool moment during When Its Love, right before the solo Sammy did the little hair tossle/scratch that Eddie did at the same part in the video. Best of Both Worlds, which is one of my favorite Hagar era tunes, just sounded flat to me. It almost seems like the turned down Vics volume for that song? Other than that, Sammy delivered the goods as I expected. After Sammy's set I was really doubting how Dave could come on after what I just saw.

I've seen Dave a few times live and was never really impressed with his live show. Contrary to previous reviews, I thought Dave flat out rocked! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] I can do without the pink & black spandex suit or the Jack Daniels schtick, but hey, that's just Dave. His band was tight and his voice was without question the best I've ever heard it live. It was just great to hear these vintage songs live again and done decently.

So who won? Me - I had a fuckin' blast!
    Ed/Al....please pick up the phone and get one or both of these guys back [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] !!!!!!!
    New England Patriots.
    Super Bowl XXXVI Champions
    Super Bowl XXXVIII Champions
    Super Bowl XXXIX Champions

"My favorite ring is the next one..." - Tom Brady

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

I decided to write my review this morning since I was too tired and had a good buzz going last night. So here is my opinion of what I saw last night.

I first just want to say that I was really looking forward to both singers. I last saw Sammy in '99 and DLR in '95 (or whenever he did his Las Vegas-style act). After reading all the reviews of this tour, most of what I saw last night was dead-on.

On stage first was the Red Rocker. The video montage before he came on was great. For someone whose career that spands 30 years, it's nice to see how things have changed. The biggest cheers were for the VH part of his career.

The first song was 'Shaka Doobie' which totally smoked live. The band cranked it up the tempo which I liked. Then, they went into 'Runaround' which really got the crowd going. I only wished Michael Anthony was there to provide his killer background vocals. I did like the party atomosphere that Sammy had going. Some folks have said in other reviews that they didn't like it but I thought it made it a more fun night. Sammy definitely interacted more with the crowd which I don't think anybody can deny (at least not last night). He even poured beers to the Up Front Fanatics in first couple of rows. He also went to the back of his stage and mingled with the fans. He even had them help sing the chorus to 'Why Can't This Be Love'. As for the Waboritas, they are a very solid band who can play well as a unit. The Van Halen songs I thought they played a little slower but did alright with them. Vic who is a really good guitar player IMO but he was no Eddie Van Halen on those songs. I did notice that Sammy's band actually played the VH songs with their own 'style'. Like how VH makes cover songs "their own", the Waboritas made the VH songs "their own" which is certainly not a put-down. The crowd was definitely the loudest during those songs. One disappointment in Sammy's setlist was the inclusion of 'When It's Love'. I like the song but I've heard that one played in every VH concert I've been to since 1988. It was such a downer for an encore song. He did end his set with 'Dreams' which was a nice way to finish a stellar night. Overall, I enjoyed Sammy's and the Waborita's performance.

Now on to Diamond David Lee Roth. Not even two seconds after the lights went down, the band went right into 'Hot For Teacher'. Then Dave came out in a purple and black shiny outfit. For someone in their late 40's, he looked in really great shape. What surprised me about Dave was that he actually sang the lyrics to the songs that required the vocals to stand out like 'Little Dreamer'. His voice was okay at best. He was never a great live singer when he was in VH so I really didn't expect him to be strong now. If you think about it, he doesn't have to be with those old VH songs. The music, especially the guitar is what drives those songs so he really doesn't have to be 100% great all the time. For example, when Sammy does 'Eagles Fly', he has to be on his game or the song will sound terrible because it's not heavy guitar laden. As for Dave's band, I was really impressed with Brian Young and how he can play those songs note for note. Ray Luzier on the drums was jacked up from the start to the finish. The guy must lose 15 pounds a night playing that intense. One thing I must agree with that was said in an earlier post was that even though the band played those songs note-for-note, it did lack that VH feel to it. As for fan interaction, unless you count Dave jacking off with the JD bottle to the chicks in the front row, there really wasn't a lot of it. I did like hearing some songs that I've never heard/seen him do live like 'D.O.A.' and 'And the Cradle Will Rock'. The encore was 'Jump' which was included Dave doing his martial arts with a sword during the synth solo. Overall, I enjoyed seeing Dave again but I couldn't care less about seeing his band again.

Between the two, I must say that I enjoyed Sammy and his band better. If Eddie were going to reunite with one of the two, I think he would go with Sammy based on singing ability live. As for showmanship, would Ed want the party hardy Sammy and his drinking thoroughout the show or Dave and his king-of-the-world attitude.

One last thing, I would recommend going to see them if you can.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Van Halen fans actually physically fighting at a concert over Dave vs. Sam? I am sorry, that is so dumb.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just gotta stick my nose into this thread. I'm really shocked by a couple of reviews here, especially the first 2. I saw these guys the opening nite, and they both rocked...HARD. I was blown away by Dave, but because I'm a biased Sam fan, I thought he was better. Still, Dave impressed me beyond belief, and aside from the JD jackoff, it was a stellar performance. Has he really gone downhill during the tour? Maybe he's getting tired? If he's even 50% what he was in Cleveland, he should have put on an awesome show. Even if he just stood there, I would have had fun hearing the tunes, but you guys sounded like you were pissed, and falling asleep!! I just don't get it.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A FIRST AND LAST POST IN THIS FORUM...

Long time Dave fan, ok Sammy fan but I've been OVER both of these guys for some time... just the same I thought the idea of this tour was cool, so I caved to the nostalgia. (What next? BOTH KISS LINE UPS: WITH AND W/O MAKE UP?!? )

BOTTOM LINE: DAVE SURPRISED THE 5HIT OUT OF ME AND STOLE THE SHOW... HERE'S WHY. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

SAMMY... obviously the best "singer" of the night, but that's not news. This is sorta like the NIXON vs. KENNEDY debate... if you only LISTENED to this show on the radio, you'd declare SAMMY the winner, and DAVE a very close second...

BUT TO SEE SAMMY... a) HIDE BEHIND SUN GLASSES ALL NIGHT (looks weird and OLD w/o them) b) HIDE BEHIND LAYERS OF "I'M NOT THAT FAT" clothes that look very CLOWNY and c) HAVE A BAND FULL OF A BUNCH OF NON CHARISMATIC WEEKEND BAR ROOM ROCKERS... none of whom are allowed to look cooler than Sammy (who does NOT look cool... get real people) and THEN... D) WHEN DID SAMMY DECIDE HE WAS A "JIMMY BUFFET PARTIER MEETS A DETHRONED FAT AGING RONALD McDONALD ANYWAY???

Surprisingly I liked the first song quite a bit ("Shakka Kahn" or something?)... but I could never get past what a calculated charade he employs. The guy is nearly 60 and is so busy trying to play to the mullet rockers in everyman ville... (and do ANY of his old videos look better now? Nope. No they don't). I had heard Sammy was not doing much VH but last night must have been 60% VH... and I enjoy those songs, but in a Foreigner non rocking kind of way.

BOTTOM LINE: Sammy SOUNDS good... LOOKS awful ... and really can't hold a crowd. At least 20% of the audience ROAMED and MEANDERED about during Sammy's set...

WHEREAS IT WAS A TOTALLY CAPTIVE/LOCK DOWN CROWD FOR...

DAVE. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

What a nice surprise. What a set list... hit after ph*cking hit. Dave has always been goofy, but he seemed to really be on point. Remembered 95% of the lyrics... sang much better than I had ever seen him before... and is only really missing a TRUE guitar hero to his left.

He doesn't dart about as much as he used to (which was cover for a blown line) but seemed spot on last night. Very surprising.

He even played MEAN STREETS... wow! Fair Warning is my fave album.

This is NO exaggeration. I had very LOW expectations for Dave, but the crowd was HIS. Big time...

BOTTOM LINE: WELCOME BACK, WELCOME BACK, WELCOME BACK! Not sure where he goes from here, but the fact that Sammy takes shots at Dave, and Dave ignores it makes him the better man, and it also makes Sammy look insecure (for obvious reasons...) Yngwie Malmsteen is a better guitarist than ACE FREHLEY... but who do YOU wanna see?

So I voted at the merch booth for Dave only!!
    Even YANKEE ROSE was cool... (yes he botched a line... big NEWS flash there! )

I for one was proud of DLR!
    Guess who's back in circulation?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

Originally posted by kglee:
    Surprisingly I liked the first song quite a bit ("Shakka Kahn" or something?)
    I'm sorry Brett, but I HAVE to commment in this review thread!

Shakka Kahn!!???
    ROFLMAO!!!!
    Eat Us and Smile!