Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.12 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sure Dave is crazier than a Indian on Aquanet but there's no denying that he's got a realistic handle on what the fans want. Pure, 100%, uncut Van Halen. I'll suffer through live versions of Three Lock Box and I Can't Drive 55 anyday - as long as I get to hear DLR belt out the original songs that made VH a legendary band.

Look for me at the Gorge. I'll be the boozed-up nincompoop with the "Who the fuck is Sammy?" t-shirt.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:19 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member
    Though he has alot of solo stuff his fans would like to hear, if he doesn't do the classic VH stuff, we may never get to hear it again. Unless you see the Atomic Punks.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the rate Dave & Sam have been on the road the last several years (years minus VH), it's similar to the old days - and it's for the fans [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] .

Thanks Dave, thanks Sam !

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It never ceases to amaze me that there's so many people that are willing to accept one quarter of the original Van Halen doing these songs, because it's so important to hear them in a live setting. And yet there's so many people who just refused to accept it when three quarters of Van Halen did the same thing.

Moving this thread to the Sam/Dave tour forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Great point Glenn. Couldn't have said it any better.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or 1984 by mood
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.19.13 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Three-quarters doing a bit o' classic, a bit o' second-gen, and VHIII.

Versus one quarter doin' 100 percent classic, a quarter who happens to pull much more than his share of the band's live presence, with a voice that belongs on the tunes he's singing. And if Mr. Fingers is missing, there's someone in his place so faithful and carefully studied that he might trick you from time to time if you close your eyes - something that would NEVER happen with any other vocalist.

We ain't talking studio virtuosity, and we ain't talking string-geek technique worship. We're talking the live show. The high-jinks, stage presence, and PERSONALITY that made the band famous.

And I'd be willing to bet that three-quarters of the band are probably missing a great deal more than that one quarter is, in this context.
    Classic Van Halen. In Pace Requiescant.

"...sure I'm on zoloft. That's so I don't hafta kill none o' y'all..." - Mike Tyson

and by the way...

Eat Us And Smile.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    It never ceases to amaze me that there's so many people that are willing to accept one quarter of the original Van Halen doing these songs, because it's so important to hear them in a live setting. And yet there's so many people who just refused to accept it when three quarters of Van Halen did the same thing.
    Agreed. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

So many people bitched during the Sammy years that the first six albums were ignored live, and then once Ed brought the tunes back out in the show, evrybody was too obsessed with whether or not Gary was gay to be appreciative.

Van Halen fans bitch. A lot. Very well. LOL

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Bottom line, EVH's voice is as imprinted on those songs as Dave's is. It's a musical voice, but it's a voice just the same. I don't think there's anything wrong with having preferences, or acknowledging that when dealing with those compositions, EVH and DLR are the ultimate matchup, but it's awfully hypocritical to say that you won't accept anyone but DLR SINGING Panama, but you'll accept Steve Vai, Brian Young, or any of the many guitar players in between PLAYING Panama!

I also think it's funny how away from Dave, Eddie has to produce something that rivals Fair Warning or it's dismissed as a waste of time. And yet away from Eddie, Dave can produce work that is far below the Fair Warning standard and it's accepted that at least Dave is trying.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Glenn:

Moving this thread to the Sam/Dave tour forum. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I know that this is essentially the Sammy Hagar board so no one will get this, but it's all about the attitude. Dave brings the Van HALEN attitude. Ed, Alex, and Mike with Spam or Cherboney don't bring that attitude. Also, you can imitate the guitar fairly well, but you can't imitate the human voice. Ed's voice isn't 1/1000th as important as Dave's.

As far as your Fair Warning comment, that's bogus too because again, it's about a spirit and an attitude. That attitude is still on the DLR solo albums. DLR's albums are not anywhere near Van Halen quality. But they're superior to Van Hagar, which was sellout garbage with shitty lyrics. Dave wouldn't have allowed Backside Boys crap like Love Walks In.

In short, the singer is the attitude and the identity of the band. That's the way it works in rock. No matter how great the guitarist is, the singer is what you think of when you think of the band. It's not like replacing a bassist or a drummer who generally (but not always of course) contribute little to the band. Van HALEN was Ed and Dave, plain and simple. Dave brought the flash and attitude that complemented and enhanced the music. When Dave left, the music suffered and the attitude was pretty lame.

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Lou:
    I know that this is essentially the Sammy Hagar board so no one will get this, but it's all about the attitude.
    Nope, you're 100% wrong. The majority of the people on this board prefer Roth era VH, I am one of them. Believe me, I 'get it', but that doesn't mean I can sit here and suggest that DLR is the be all and the end all.

Ed's voice isn't 1/1000th as important as Dave's.
    Am I reading this wrong? Are you saying that Dave's voice (what he brought vocally to the table) is 1000 times more important to the Van Halen sound than Ed's voice (the guitar playing)? If so, that's a laughable statement! If Dave was THAT superior, his solo output would have been as good as his VH output. It wasn't; he declined without Eddie just as Eddie declined without him.

Dave wouldn't have allowed Backside Boys crap like Love Walks In.
    No, he'd just allow crap like Stand Up or Cheatin Heart Cafe! And Lou, I know that you're hating these songs that DLR has been putting out as of late, so let's remember that DLR is quite capable of finding the bottom of the barrel on his own.

In short, the singer is the attitude and the identity of the band. That's the way it works in rock. No matter how great the guitarist is, the singer is what you think of when you think of the band.
    Have you ever heard the phrase "beauty is only skin deep"? Ask anyone who is (and almost ALWAYS was) the engine of the Rolling Stones, and they'll tell you it was Keith Richards. Same with Van Halen in my opinion, the songs began with Eddie. I would never discount Dave's importance, but the whole thing began with Eddie. Name me a song that Dave brought into the band. There's nothing to sing or write melodies to without EVH. I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment that the singer is the focal point, but it's shortsighted to suggest that that tells the tale of what is going on beneath the surface.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Glenn:

Have you ever heard the phrase "beauty is only skin deep"? Ask anyone who is (and almost ALWAYS was) the engine of the Rolling Stones, and they'll tell you it was Keith Richards.

To some extent that's true, but with the Stones, it has always been more complicated than that. There is no ONE person in the Stones who is the engine. Keith is extremely vital, yet "Sway" and "Moonlight Mile" are 2 of the best songs on Sticky Fingers, and Keith doesn't play a chord on either one.

Mick is essential to the band, but that doesn't keep "Happy", "Before They Make Me Run", or "You Got The Silver" from being some of the band's best work.

Charlie Watts is literally the backbone of the band's sound, yet some of the band's biggest hits in the "golden era" with Mick Taylor actually featured producer Jimmy Miller on drums.

It's not one of these guys who IS the Rolling Stones, it's the three of them. And the chemistry between those three, which will allow a classic Stones song, even if one of them is missing. And let's face it, if the chemistry wasn't there, that fucking band wouldn't be celebrating 40 years in the business.

Same with Van Halen in my opinion, the songs began with Eddie. I would never discount Dave's importance, but the whole thing began with Eddie. Name me a song that Dave brought into the band. There's nothing to sing or write melodies to without EVH.

And VDIII proved (as did that Donut City crap) that Eddie can write riffs and solos like few others, but he can't turn them into songs to save his fucking life without either Dave or Sammy. Again, it's about the Chemistry. Van HALEN and Van Hagar were both about chemistry, but the Van HALEN chemistry just happenned to work better.

Why? because chemistry isn't about lovey dovey "brother-soulmate" bullshit. The Stones aren't exactly best friends. Neither are the Who. All of these bands, even Van Hagar (with Humans Being) did some of their best work when they were pissed off at each other. And that is chemistry...

Dave can't recreate the chemistry he had with Eddie, but at least he can bring the attitude. And since Eddie won't bring himself, Brian Young will have to bring him. In any event, it will sound much closer to Van HALEN than VDIII did. For as good as Eddie played on that tour, the vocals were just wrong. Cherone might have tried. He probably tried to sing the songs, where as Sammy's complete disinterest in the material was always obvious. But it didn't work. Any more than me trying to sing Johnny Cash. You just can't duplicate a voice like that.
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by FORD:
    To some extent that's true, but with the Stones, it has always been more complicated than that. There is no ONE person in the Stones who is the engine.
    One of my favorite Stones stories; I believe it was Allen Klein, when he first walked into the studio to meet the band, the only thing he wanted to know was "who makes the records", and everyone pointed to Keith. He was the engine. Of course the rest of the guys were vital, but Keith was universally known as the guy.

Dave can't recreate the chemistry he had with Eddie, but at least he can bring the attitude.
    That's exactly the attitude I was referring to earlier. Why does Dave have the right to replace Eddie and get a free pass while you expect Eddie to either get Dave or die?

You just can't duplicate a voice like that.
    And you can't duplicate a guitar genius like Eddie Van Halen. I'm no guitar expert, I can barely play a power chord, but simple hearing tells me when I'm hearing Eddie Van Halen and when I'm hearing someone play Eddie Van Halen.

I would love to see Eddie get Ralph Saenz into the band just to watch the people complain; the same people who have no problem with Dave employing Eddie clones.

If the engine of Van Halen is Dave and Eddie, then Steve Vai, Bart Walsh and Brian Young have no more business playing EVH's riffs than Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone had of singing Dave's words.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT, WACF, FW
    Favorite VH Song

Loss of Control
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In short, the singer is the attitude and the identity of the band. That's the way it works in rock. No matter how great the guitarist is, the singer is what you think of when you think of the band.
    As well as the Stones, what about Led Zep or, to a lesser extent, Deep Purple. No-one can deny the importance, visual as well as musical, of Jimmy Page and Richie Blackmore.
    As for Van Halen though, I'd rather watch Van Halen as a three piece but with Eddie, than DLR with his karaoke backing band doing classic VH numbers. To give Dave more prominence than Eddie in classic VH is nonsense.

[ May 05, 2002 at 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Legoman ]</p>
    Use my hand, I won't look!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought you literally meant Ed's backup voice. I read that wrong.

Van HALEN was 48% Dave, 48% Ed, 2% Mike, 2% Alex.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by lance watts:
    Sure Dave is crazier than a Indian on Aquanet but there's no denying that he's got a realistic handle on what the fans want. Pure, 100%, uncut Van Halen. I'll suffer through live versions of Three Lock Box and I Can't Drive 55 anyday - as long as I get to hear DLR belt out the original songs that made VH a legendary band.

Look for me at the Gorge. I'll be the boozed-up nincompoop with the "Who the fuck is Sammy?" t-shirt.
    Agreed!!! Thanks Dave!!!!

PLEASE COME OUT EAST!!!!