Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If you went to the August 14th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from the show. Not a sellout of the 7200 seater.

In a nutshell......Dave is "the show" and Sammy makes the fans feel like we're "a part of" the show.

DLR

Same blistering set as other shows. Sound sucked at first, got better as the show went on. HFT doesn't translate well live, and to lead with that doesn't seem like the correct tune to me. It's like no foreplay.......let's just fuck. DOA was kickin'. His guitar player knows Ed's licks better than Ed knows them.

Dave was the showman. If you have the '83 US Festival......then you know exactly how Dave is on this tour. His voice sounded fine to me. He may not have the same "scream" he had in '78, but hey it's only rock and roll.

Dave had his cheesy grin going. Blue Diamond suit and he even did the Jack Daniels "Coming on Your Face" routing. Honestly, that was very stupid.....and I felt a little embarrased by this act.......just seemed a little unprovoked and to staged. I mean seconds later a guy is coming out with a towel to clean it up.

I thought is show was good.......not great......it's like seeing a decent Tribute Band.....and it so happens they have DLR.

Sammy Hagar

He hasn't lost a step. Voice sounded great. Lots of VH.......BOBW.....Dreams......Right Now.....When It's Love.........Runaround.......Top of the World.......Why Can't This Be Love........maybe another one.

His guitar player doesn't really play a lot of the guitar parts correctly, but he's not bad. BOBW didn't sound so hot......but fuck it when Sammy started singing it didn't matter.

Sammy was a lot of fun. Non stop energy. Only mentioned tequila a few times.....had the hot waitress, fans of stage, commented on the pot smoke in the air once.

Sammy's show was a lot of fun.

The Bottomline

Dave gets a 7. Sam gets a 10.

After seeing the show tonight, I can't help but think to myself how much I love the first 6 albums with DLR and how much I love the live shows with Sammy. As far as the future....I am not sure I want to see VH go in reverse for a quick buck.....

I'm going to show on Friday, in Bristow, VA.

It's 2am........time to hit the sack.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.02.07 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy's guitar player was woefully inept at playing Ed's licks. He shouldn't have even bothered to try to pull off the solos. Did he play that poorly on other shows, or was it just an off night? In particular, BOBW was butchered :-(

On the other hand, I have to really tip my hat to Dave's band. The guitar and drums were remarkable. I was surprised to hear how huge a kick that the old songs have when played live.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

jimmy,

to lead with that ["Hot For Teacher"] doesn't seem like the correct tune to me. It's like no foreplay.......let's just fuck...
    Great quote. One of the best I've read at this site. I'm always affirmed by my efforts to sculpt a solid beginning, middle and ending to every set of music my band plays by quotes like this. Incidentally, we've never opened a show (or any set) with "Hot For Teacher"

To follow up, and to marginally keep with the review thread's requirements [img]smile.gif[/img] , I'd like to know what your opinion would be re: DLR opening shows with "Ain't Talkin'...". Our drummer seems to love this idea - I don't...

Thoughts?

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 984 Times in 396 Posts

atbl should be at the end

out

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

5150,Balance,VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake,Best Of Both Worlds (live)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally I've heard several bootlegs of Dave singing Hot For Teacher from the last year or so and it is probably the song he has the most trouble singing.

The crowd is so pumped when he first comes out he could just sing just about anything and the place would go crazy.So by him getting his toughest song out of the way right off the bat it makes him come off better.It don't matter how good or bad he sings it.Smart move by Dave

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the greatest opening song of all time (by any rock band) is "romeo's delight" ...

one of Dave's quotes from back in the day- "some artists wait for the audience to give a spark- i go out on stage with a flame thrower!" that song is the epitome of that statement...

romeo's delight just sets the place on fire... i wish i could experience it (with the real VH) just once in my lifetime- and i will die a happy person...
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just saw Sammy, and he also played finish what you started with a great intro telling the story about how the song was written, Sammy is just plain and simple the man.