Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

listening to Warren Haynes on the radio (Gov't Mule is playing here tonight) and he was talking about how every show they play is special because it's nothing like the show they played the night before and the night before that.

so my question is, with all the material Roth and Sammy have, why would they NOT change their set lists every show???

to me all the bands I love NEVER play the same show twice, the ALWAYS mix it up.

but not these guys

kinda sad that they don't even consider this. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

[ April 20, 2002 at 11:35 AM: Message edited by: hain23x ]</p>
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Agreed. I saw two Tom Petty shows, about a year apart. The first one was on the Echo tour, and for that reason, they had an album to promote and pretty much a formatted set list to stick to throughout the entire tour.

The second show was last year, when they toured just for the hell of it, to warm up before going into the studio. They had nothing in particular to sell, so they played whatever the fuck they wanted. Old songs, new songs, blues songs, country, Stones covers, you name it. Any Deadhead would have felt right at home in the whole completely NON-premeditated atmosphere...

Neither Dave or Sammy has an album out at the moment either. It would be cooler than shit if they both took that approach and just fucking wing it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

vh1 , fw , 1984 & fuck
    Favorite VH Song

girl gone bad
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dave n sammy unplugged & unhinged

acoustic & malt..

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Great thread, and something everybody in the VH realm is guilty of. VH always beat the same setlist into the ground, and both Sammy and Dave have continued that since leaving the band. I'm not as familiar with Sammy's setlists, but given that Dave barely changes his setlist tour to tour, he'd never change it show to show. Even if he wants to beat the Van Halen catalogue into the ground, there's a lot of different VH songs that I'd rather hear than version #2938384 of Ain't Talkin' Bout Love or Jump. Where's Secrets, Outta Love Again, Hear About it Later, On Fire, Fools etc???

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. Van Halen has never been creative with their set lists and neither has Roth or Hagar solo respectively....

Hey Glenn, don't forget to put a good word in for my all time favorite Van Halen song too! "Dirty Movies" I'd shit a brick sideways, if DLR broke into that tune this summer!!!!

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That really sucks when the set list is formatted. When I saw Dave last November, the one thing that annoyed me was that I knew almost exactly what he was going to play. I knew it was going to be Hot For Teacher and Panama at the beginning (which is EXACTLY what he did in 1999), I knew that Yankee Rose and Tobacco Road were back to back towards the end, I knew they were ending with Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, and I knew that Jump would be the encore.

I agree with Glenn about Secrets, Hear About It Later, On Fire, and Fools. Dave didn't do Romeo Delight, Unchained or Bottoms Up! either, which was a disappointment. I also think that Light Up The Sky and Girl Gone Bad should be in there.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree let's hear the rare tracks!!!!! How about House Of Pain????

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey DLR'sCock, remember when we were standing next to each other, after he played Yankee Rose I turned to you and said, "Tobacco Road's next"? And lo and behold, he played it.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've never heard him, but people have been saying that Dave's new guy can plays circles around Bart Walsh. Could he have been recruited so that the VH heavy setlist could feature more of a variety of VH tunes?

Doubt it, but it's a thought! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

I'm not holding my breath for set changes.

I guarentee that I could pull out my DLR tape from 99(i think?) and write down the set list and go to the show on this tour and it will probably be THE SAME SHOW

too bad Dave doesn't have a website where you can sound off on a messge board
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by hain23x:

too bad Dave doesn't have a website where you can sound off on a messge board
    His drummer has been known to read the DLR Army.

Of course, your chances of getting in over there during daylight hours ain't that great.

(Fucking Burstnet [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] )
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Originally posted by FORD:
    His drummer has been known to read the DLR Army.

Of course, your chances of getting in over there during daylight hours ain't that great.

(Fucking Burstnet [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] )
    My chances of getting in there at ANY HOUR are never great [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] I can get in there about 1x per day.

You made some good points earlier about Petty and The Dead. The best thing about The Dead (and Phish before the hiatus) is that they NEVER played the same show twice and THAT was part of the allure(sp?) That's why their tape trading is soo great! I mean how many 1984 bootlegs do you have to own to have heard everything VH did on that tour???-- 1 !!

Why would somebody want to travel from show to show to see the same show every night?

they won't get it -EVER!
    Eat Us and Smile!

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I think VH, Sammy and Dave play a set that is made up mostly of the songs they feel they have to play. KISS is another group plagued by this. I have to give the Stones credit, they play the must plays, but throw in stuff they dig too, and their catalog is easily as extensive as VH's or KISS's. Hopefully this new Punks guy can rip some different tunes for DLR.

Alot of the modern day setlists are all geared towards the fucking light show, and that sucks the big one in my eyes. I'd rather go and not have a concrete setlist, just ask the crowd what they want to hear, and the one whichever singer hears, well that is the song they play. Get some old-school light operator back there running a few spotlites, and put the focus back on the music. Also, get some fuckers on the mixing board that know what to turn up and when. In the past few years, I've been to too many shows, where if there are 2 guitarists, the spotlite is on the guy playing rhythm and he is the one turned up during the solo too. What a fucking jip! If I'm in the crowd and can tell the cat is fucking it all up, surely someone else on the crew is aware of this bullshit.

Also, pacing plays a big part in it. I know Dave has played Little Dreamer on both of his last 2 tours, but it is a nice slower tempo, cool groovin' vibe song, where he can pull back on the throttle a little and catch his breath. I imagine it will be played again for this same reason, unless Brian can play a little DropDead Legs or something in the vein. I think on the whole, all these factors come into play, and the setlist more than satisfies the casual fan, none of which would take the time to give a shit if a non radio classic like "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" or "Romeo Delite" wasn't played. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to be a Super-fan.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

"my band will serve it large"

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sammy does a decent job of changing the setlist. When he plays Chicago, he always plays the must-plays, but with a few different songs. Last time we even hear Space Station #5 and a bunch of shit off of MTM
    I am awesome