Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:56 PM
    Liked 11,601 Times in 4,946 Posts

If you went to the June 4th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher Downtown Stevie's Avatar
    Kentuckian by birth Wildcat by the grace of GOD!
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Woman in love
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 10:41 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Just got back from the show at Riverbend. No need going thru the set list it sounds the same as the one in Indy. Sammy opened the show with rock n roll. I thought Sam's was good and did a great job his voice was right on as usual. The band was tight it was a typical Sammy show. Dave hit the stage and hit it hard. I was impressed and kind of shocked by how good he sounded. I mean until about half way thru Dave sounded as good as I have ever heard him and I have seen him 5 or 6 times since 79. About half way thru it seems Dave started taking it easy though he quit singining as much and just kind of loudly talked his way thru the songs maybe his voice was
    getting tired. I do like Dave's materal better his band is great, if you close your eyes and just listen it could be Eddie on stage but over all i enjoyed Sammy better. Sammy seemed like he was having a good time talking to the crowd ( maybe a little to much) but overall he looked like he was geting into the show. While for a lot of the show Dave sounded great it just seemed a little to planned out like no matter what city Dave is in he wouldn't change anything instead of interacing with the crowd and parting he was just performing it could have been fill in the city name here. Its weird because 20 years ago Dave would have been doing a lot of the stuff Sammy was doing tonite
    Who do you think you are? I am !!
    - Bowling Great Pete Weber

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from this show and like Stevie said the setlist was the same so no need to go into that. When Sammy was on I felt like I was in a Cabo Wabo commercial WAY to much of that shit, got old really quick to me at least. He needs to drop Eagles Fly IMO really slowed down his set. Overall he put on a good show and he sounded great. Now for Dave this is easy...He flat out rocked the house!!!! The crowd was really into Dave singing along to every song and on a few songs I could hardly hear the band because the crowd was so loud. I was lucky enough to see VH with Dave going back to the WACF tour and I swear when I closed my eyes it was 1980 all over again during ...And The Cradle Will Rock If you have a chance to see this show GO...you won't be sorry.
    "Just when you think you have the rat race won,,,they come up with faster rats." DLR<br /><br /><a href="http://www.chris.vanhalenlive.com" target="_blank">VH boot List</a>

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by DiverDowninKY:
    Just got back from this show and like Stevie said the setlist was the same so no need to go into that. When Sammy was on I felt like I was in a Cabo Wabo commercial WAY to much of that shit, got old really quick to me at least. He needs to drop Eagles Fly IMO really slowed down his set. Overall he put on a good show and he sounded great. Now for Dave this is easy...He flat out rocked the house!!!! The crowd was really into Dave singing along to every song and on a few songs I could hardly hear the band because the crowd was so loud. I was lucky enough to see VH with Dave going back to the WACF tour and I swear when I closed my eyes it was 1980 all over again during ...And The Cradle Will Rock If you have a chance to see this show GO...you won't be sorry.
    I bet every show on this tour has been like this for Dave....

I know, I saw him only a few months ago...Dave ruled the stage!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think both Dave and Sam did a great job. It was like being at two very different shows, though. I can honestly say that the crowd loved Dave. I thought he did a great job of improvising when he forgot the lyrics, even mentioned toward the end that he forgot the fucking words, several people around me would kind of look at the person next to them with a " [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] " look on their face. He kept the music going, one song after another, boom, boom, boom, done. This is where I think that Sammy did a better job at crowd interacting, telling the stories of how "finish what you started" was written, and he also did "Right Now" with just the piano, just like him and Ed wrote it, he was all over the stage, talking through the breaks, signing autographs, things Dave used to do years ago! I think I read earlier in a few posts about the "drill in the guitar" video, and I never thought that it was a slam on Ed, and as a matter of fact, he referenced Ed a few times through the show.

A very mixed crowd, to say the least. Old and young alike, the youngest I saw must have been 10yrs old.

I think they both did a great show!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes to Shove
    Last Online

07.04.07 @ 08:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cincinnati Inquirer review

I guess this guy like Dave huh? =)

http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/06...mond_dave.html
    "No band has come close to duplicating the original Van Halen's truly distinct blend of showbiz bravado and musical ingenuity -- certainly not the band that continues to call itself Van Halen, offering up countless botched reunion attempts and a string of marginal post-Dave albums, and packing arenas just the same." CDNOW

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i wasn't at that show but i must say the reviewer should have given sammy a little more credit. i'm assuming his voice was hot as always and i know not having MA appear cost him heavy compared to the two shows before..............cincinnati rock radio had very good things to say about dave's performance also.

just my opinion.
    TX7081040

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by ohcello:
    Cincinnati Inquirer review

I guess this guy like Dave huh? =)

http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/06...mond_dave.html
    Well well well... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I was there and I agree with this guy. Finally a critic gets it right!
    "Just when you think you have the rat race won,,,they come up with faster rats." DLR<br /><br /><a href="http://www.chris.vanhalenlive.com" target="_blank">VH boot List</a>

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin\' W/ Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last night's show was set to be a battle, but only one contender seemed to show up-that contender being DLR.

From the minute he took the stage, Roth and his band had one objective...to tear your face off with a ferocious, and truly inspired VH set. Judging by the crowd response, he seemed to succeed. The band covered all the classics, from Runnin' w/ the Devil, to So This is Love - if you shut your eyes you'd swear you were back in 1980 when Van Halen was at the top of their game. It was a true rock show, with plenty of sex, drugs, and rock n roll.

Hagar's set covered plenty of his classics, but contrary to Roth was light in Van Halen material. His band was weak by comparison, although the backups were impressive; Hagar's guitarist, Vic Johnson, improvised Van Halen solos when Sammy covered the VH material. Supposedly, it was all about artistic integrity; i find it humorous that Johnson did play the easy solos, such as the solo in Dreams. Maybe he should just admit that he's not good enough to cover a Van Halen song? Sammy's antics on stage seemed to be a ploy to win over the crowd, and sell more tequilla. It's a shame that he chooses to surround himself with second rate musicians when he deserves to be playing with the best. He CAN produce-he proved so with the outstanding material he wrote while with Van Halen.

If Roth is smart, he would've videotaped last night's show and shipped it off to Eddie and Alex. Roth IS ready to go, and the people want it...just look at the tape. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Roth is smart, he would've videotaped last night's show and shipped it off to Eddie and Alex. Roth IS ready to go, and the people want it...just look at the tape. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Rock on! Roth rules!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ June 05, 2002, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Crystalfish ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the Cincinatti show at Riverbend and i have to agree with Diverdowninky that Dave kicked sammy's ass. The Cabo Wabo stuff was cool at first, but it turned out to be a commercial for it. I do agree that sammy needs to drop the eagles fly song. How bout the royal blue outfit dave had on. That was classic diamond dave. I was really impressed with all the songs, especially "im the one" and "running with the devil". His voice was a little shakey at the end but strong most of the way. I was thinkin i was watchin 1980 classic van halen all over again. I dont mean to knock on sammy at all, but he just couldnt compete with Dave. If anybody has a chance to see Dave on this tour, GO SEE IT!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy is a real musician who can sing better than Dave and can play a guitar that doesn't have to be tuned to an open chord to play an easy song like Ice Cream Man. Dave is cool, but a part of the past, part a rock ban that doesn't even have a record deal. Sammy has continued to play to 15,000-20,000 people for the past 6 years after he left VH. Dave played to 150-300 for the past 5-6 years. Sammy is the real deal and will continue to be successful with a new band featiring Neil Schon and Michael Anthony called Planet Us after this tour and Dave will be looking for another coattail to ride again...see ya in Cabo!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.13 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I guess I'll go ahead an add my two cents. I was at the show last night and I was very much impressed. I've always liked both the Sammy and Dave eras of Van Halen, so I'd like to think I took in this show without already having a biased opinion. Overall, I liked Sammy better. Don't get me wrong, Dave was great, and so was his band. But I thought that the interaction Sammy had with the audience really went a long way. Dave seemed to be just going through the motions. I know a lot of people feel that Sammy's show was just a commercial for Cabo Wabo, but I didn't feel that way for some reason. There was quite a bit of Cabo Wabo this, and Cabo Wabo that, but to me it just seemed like this guy *really* likes tequilla and partying at this club. I do agree with previous posts that Eagles Fly really slows down his set. And one complaint I have with Dave's show is that it all sounded scripted. Even the "I forgot the words". It was really obvious that he planned to say that right there and then. Other than that, I thought they were both terrific and well worth the money. Go see this show.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I am new to the board and I wanted to give my review of last night's KILLER show at Cincinnati's Riverbend.

Let me start out by saying that I didn't have good seats in fact I was on the lawn ( money troubles). Going to the show I was pumped as I have never seen Roth live, I have seen Sammy with Van Halen 3 times. I was there to see Diamond Dave plain and simple.

Sammy's show was good he performed the songs really well and still has a great voice. The band was a little off in my opinion. Sammy seemed to me to be going through the motions but I was satisfied with the performance.

Then as Sammy left the stage and the crew was putting together Roth's stage I could feel the anticipation in the crowd. I have been to a ton of concerts in my life and the buzz in the crowd knowing that Diamond Dave was about to hit the stage was up there with the Stones, I'm not kidding.

As Diamond Dave hit the stage at around 9:30 pm, with the crowd going nuts I was excited but deep down I was hoping that past reviews about Dave's voice weren't true. Starting with Hot For Teacher, then ripping through classics like Panama, And the Cradle will Rock, I couldn't believe it not only was I seeing David Lee Roth live but I was seeing Dave at maybe the best he has been in a long long time. The band was tight and better than I thought they would be. As each song went on Dave seemed to get better and better. I must say I was shocked. I have a ton of bootleg concerts for Van Halen's tours form 1978-84 and I must say Dave blew away any of those performances voice wise, and some of those are considered Dave at his peak.

And since I was in the lawn area I couldn't be up close to see Dave's face real good , but let me tell you from a distance Dave looks like he did back in the day. No signs of ageing to me.

To end I must say I was overblown and my expectations were met and then some. What ever Dave may have lost a few years ago he got it back and maybe a little more, Diamond Dave is back folks, and I couldn't be happier. I will put this show as one of the best I have seen EVER!!!
    And this is not because I am a big Dave fan but it is the God honest truth.

To any Roth era Van Halen fan DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

[ June 05, 2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Legend of Roth ]
    You can wonder what Roth and Eddie Van Halen are doing in the same band. Its hard to imagine two guys with less in common psychologically, yet together they seem to make a complete personality. Extrovert balanced by introvert, logic by intuition, entertainment balanced by artistry. --Charles Young, Musician Magazine.