Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/

HAGAR/ROTH Line Up Initial Tour Dates - Apr. 17, 2002

Former VAN HALEN singers Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth held a press conference at the Mondrian Hotel — Sky Bar in Los Angeles yesterday morning announcing the details of their forthcoming joint co-headlining tour, which is scheduled to kick off on May 29th in Cleveland.

Here are various “highlights” from the press conference (all, predictably enough, by Roth), as reported by MTV:

David Lee Roth: "Sammy and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same sh.tty hazing. I think this tour is going to last a lot longer than Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love.

"What we are about is a spirit, an attitude. It goes beyond the last band we were in. It's a state of mind and a point of view that VAN HALEN has misplaced — twice.

"I'm going to do almost exclusively the VAN HALEN catalog. It's about time that we show up and not just do renditions. I have a hot band that will serve it large.

"What you have is quintessential Americana, and you couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that. Between the two of us there is probably something between 80 to 100 million albums sold. And whether you've owned it or not, you've heard Sammy or my voice blaring out of a pickup truck in front of you at the drive-thru at the local Burger King for how many summers?"

Roth/Hagar confirmed tour dates so far:

May 29 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH @ Blossom Music Center
    May 31 - Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Music Center
    Jun. 01 - Tinley Park, IL @ Tweeter Center
    Jun. 02 - Noblesville, IN @ Verizon Wireless Music Center
    Jun. 04 - Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center
    Jun. 06 - Bonner Springs, KS @ Sandstone Amphitheatre
    Jun. 07 - Maryland Heights, MO @ UMB Bank Pavilion
    Jun. 08 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    Jun. 10 - Peoria, IL @ Peoria Civic Center Arena
    Jun. 11 - Columbus, OH @ Polaris Amphitheater
    Jun. 14 - Selma, TX @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    Jun. 15 - Dallas, TX @ Smirnoff Music Centre
    Jun. 16 - The Woodlands, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pav.
    Jun. 18 - Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavilion
    Jun. 19 - Englewood, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    Jun. 21 - Phoenix, AZ @ Cricket Pavilion
    Jun. 22 - Devore, CA @ Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion
    Jun. 24 - Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
    Jun. 25 - Fresno, CA @ Selland Arena
    Jun. 27 - Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre
    Jun. 29 - George, WA @ The Gorge

More dates are expected to be announced soon.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.cdnow.com/allstararticle/...from=sr-117124

David Lee Roth & Sammy Hagar Join Forces For Summer Tour
    April 16, 2002, 2:00 pm PT

Roth & Hagar
    Deposed Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar have confirmed the reports swirling for months that they will tour together this summer. The tour kicks off May 29 in Cleveland and will run through the summer, although only dates up until June 29 were announced.

"Sam and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same shitty hazing," said Roth, 46, at a press conference at Los Angeles' Skybar on Tuesday (April 16), surrounded by three young blonde girls in cat suits.

But after two decades of slagging each other in the press, they ain't exactly talkin' 'bout love. "It's not like Dave and I are old buddies or anything," said Hagar, 54. "This is a pretty competitive tour, in my book."

Roth, who likened the competition to a NASCAR tour in which fans show up to see a crash, said he believed ticket demand would be strong. "Between the two of us, what you have is quintessential Americana," he said, "and you couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that, because we have a whole busload of people out there who've been waiting way too long for something really good to happen with this music."

They'll each perform for 90 minutes, Roth exclusively Van Halen covers and Hagar material spanning his entire career. Hagar said they'd flip a coin to see who opens the first show, then switch off after that. "We're gonna flip a blonde in the next city and I'm gonna call tails," Roth responded.

Roth said he imagines a duet or two is "inevitable," although he can't name the tune. "I've never sang any of his songs," he said. On whether any reaction from Van Halen had trickled down through common channels, Roth replied, "I'm not sure what the brothers think, and I'm not sure I even really care. I think probably the two biggest words up there on Howdy Doody mountain now are 'Uh-oh.'"

When asked whether Gary Cherone (formerly of Extreme) was approached to open the tour, Roth cracked that the other ex-Van Halen singer was busy "performing The Vagina Monologues."

The tour, dubbed Sans Halen by the rock press, has no official name, and the obvious title of Sam & Dave would infringe on the rights of the '60s act.

David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar tour dates:

May 29, Cleveland, Blossom Music Center (on sale April 20)
    May 31, Detroit, DTE Energy Music Theatre (on sale April 20)
    June 1, Chicago, Tweeter Center
    June 2, Indianapolis, Verizon Wireless Music Center (on sale April 20)
    June 4, Cincinnati, Riverbend Music Center
    June 6, Kansas City, Mo., Sandstone Amphitheatre (on sale April 27)
    June 7, St. Louis, UMB Bank Pavilion (on sale April 27)
    June 8, East Troy, Wisc., Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    June 10, Peoria, Ill., Peoria Civic Center Arena
    June 11, Columbus, Ohio, Polaris Amphitheater
    June 14, San Antonio, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre (on sale May 4)
    June 15, Dallas, Smirnoff Music Centre (on sale May 10)
    June 16, Houston, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion (on sale May 4)
    June 18, Albuquerque, N.M., Journal Pavillion (on sale April 27)
    June 19, Denver, Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre (on sale April 29)
    June 21, Phoenix, Crickett Pavillion
    June 22, Devore, Calif., Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavillion
    June 24, Los Angeles, Universal Amphitheatre (on sale April 27)
    June 25, Fresno, Calif., Selland Arena
    June 27, Mountain View, Calif., Shoreline Amphitheatre
    June 29, George, Wash., Gorge Amphitheatr (on sale April 27)

-- Corey Levitan

We've said our piece, now you tell us yours. Sound off about this article at the CDNOW Message Boards.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Interesting RollingStone tidbit...READ THE BOLD PRINT BELOW

Hagar, Roth Team for Tour

Former Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar will unite for a co-headlining tour, beginning with a May 29th show at the Blossom Center in Cleveland. At a press conference to announce the outing yesterday at the Skybar in Hollywood, Hagar and Roth were flanked on stage by Playboy's Dahm triplets, clad in florescent yellow spandex cat suits, as well as a midget dressed in white.
    "We have two headlining acts, two complete headlining shows here," explained Hagar. "We're playing the same amount of time. The stage belongs to Dave for that hour and a half, and then that stage will belong to me for the next hour and a half. We're not going to co-mingle unless it just becomes that. We don't know each other well enough for that," he joked. "I don't trust him."

"Between the two of us, what you have is quintessential Americana," said Roth. "You couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that. Between the two of us we've sold probably between eighty million and a hundred million records, before bootlegs. And whether you own it or not you've heard Sammy's or my voice tearing out of a pick-up truck in front of you at the drive through at the local Burger King for how many ####ing summers? The time is appropriate now because we have a whole busload of people out there who have been waiting way too long for something really good to happen with this music, and we're going to serve it this summer."

Hagar said he will play music from his Seventies band Montrose through his stint in Van Halen (1985 to 1996) to his recent solo material, backed by the band he's had since leaving Van Halen. Roth plans to play material almost exclusively from his tenure in Van Halen (1974 to 1985) with a group of new recruits.

Roth dismissed questions about the whereabouts of Gary Cherone, Van Halen's singer for the largely ignored Van Halen III (1998), by sniping, "He's doing the Vagina Monologues."

In an interview after the press conference, Hagar said his union with Roth was a gradual process, with feelers put out through mutual friends, a phone conversation and a face-to-face meeting before the two reached an agreement. "I just thought it was a kind of a trick," Hagar said about his initial reaction to the proposal. "Dave was trying to get back with Van Halen so much, and I thought he was trying to use me as some leverage to get his foot back in the door, because I know what Dave really wanted in life was to be back with Van Halen and have things be like they used to be. That wasn't my goal at all, ever. Once I was out of that band, I was like, 'Hey, I've had enough of this. If these guys are going to be like that, I'm done with it.'"

"I have no relationship with Ed [guitarist Eddie Van Halen] and Al [drummer Alex Van Halen] whatsoever," he continued. "I figure they owe me a phone call and I'll still say that. If they ever want to be friends again I'll be happy to be friends with them, but they have to prove their friendship now because they betrayed me. I stick to my story -- no matter what they tell you, what they said about me quitting, I did not quit that band. I was stabbed in the back. Major. When somebody does that to you, they're no longer your friend. I got ####ed by those guys and so if they ever want to be friends again, they have to call me."

The coupling of Hagar and Roth for the tour is surprising in part because of the shots the two have taken at each other in the press over the years, an issue that was addressed when the two singers met. "The one thing that Dave said, a quote that came out of his mouth in the first meeting, he said, 'Let's just start from here. Everything that happened before this, let's erase it.' I said 'Right the #### on!' So it's been kind of like that. There could be some rivalry out there, I'm sure. There's going to be nights where he ain't singing good, or I ain't singing good and the other guy is, you know, and we're going to be pissed off at each other. And it's going to be like, 'I had a sore throat he knew it, and he went off.' It'll be that kind of insecure, nutty stuff."

Asked to speculate how the news of his pairing with Roth would be received in the Van Halen camp, Hagar offered his prediction. "Them ####ers smoked a carton of cigarettes and drank a case of beer, I guarantee it, before one word was said. They looked at each other and Ed went, '####, Al, what are we going to do?' And Al went, 'I don't know Ed, lemme think about it.'"

Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth tour dates:

5/29: Cuyahoga Falls, OH, Blossom Music Center
    5/31: Clarkston, MI, DTE Energy Music Theatre
    6/1: Tinley Park, IL, Tweeter Center
    6/2: Noblesville, IN, Verizon Wireless Music Center
    6/4: Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center
    6/6: Bonner Springs, KN, Sandstone Amphitheater
    6/7: Maryland Heights, MO, UMB Bank Pavilion
    6/8: East Troy, WI, Alpine Valley
    6/10: Peoria, IL, Peoria Civic Center
    6/11: Columbus, OH, Polaris Amphitheater
    6/14: San Antonio, TX, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
    6/15: Dallas, Smirnoff Music Center
    6/16: Houston, C.W. Mitchell Pavilion
    6/18: Albuquerque, NM, Journal Pavilion
    6/19: Denver, Fiddler's Green
    6/21: Phoenix, Cricket Pavilion
    6/22: Devore, CA, Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion
    6/24: Hollywood, Universal Amphitheater
    6/25: Fresno, CA, Selland Arena
    6/27: Mountain View, CA, Shoreline Amphitheater
    6/29: George, WA, The Gorge

COLIN DEVENISH
    (April 17, 2002)

[ April 17, 2002 at 11:35 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new...15781&afl=mnew

Hagar, Roth Team for Tour

Unlikely duo will share equal stage time for month-long outing

ARTICLES
    Hagar and Roth Team Up

Former Van Halen singers David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar will unite for a co-headlining tour, beginning with a May 29th show at the Blossom Center in Cleveland. At a press conference to announce the outing yesterday at the Skybar in Hollywood, Hagar and Roth were flanked on stage by Playboy's Dahm triplets, clad in florescent yellow spandex cat suits, as well as a midget dressed in white.
    "We have two headlining acts, two complete headlining shows here," explained Hagar. "We're playing the same amount of time. The stage belongs to Dave for that hour and a half, and then that stage will belong to me for the next hour and a half. We're not going to co-mingle unless it just becomes that. We don't know each other well enough for that," he joked. "I don't trust him."

"Between the two of us, what you have is quintessential Americana," said Roth. "You couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that. Between the two of us we've sold probably between eighty million and a hundred million records, before bootlegs. And whether you own it or not you've heard Sammy's or my voice tearing out of a pick-up truck in front of you at the drive through at the local Burger King for how many fucking summers? The time is appropriate now because we have a whole busload of people out there who have been waiting way too long for something really good to happen with this music, and we're going to serve it this summer."

Hagar said he will play music from his Seventies band Montrose through his stint in Van Halen (1985 to 1996) to his recent solo material, backed by the band he's had since leaving Van Halen. Roth plans to play material almost exclusively from his tenure in Van Halen (1974 to 1985) with a group of new recruits.

Roth dismissed questions about the whereabouts of Gary Cherone, Van Halen's singer for the largely ignored Van Halen III (1998), by sniping, "He's doing the Vagina Monologues."

In an interview after the press conference, Hagar said his union with Roth was a gradual process, with feelers put out through mutual friends, a phone conversation and a face-to-face meeting before the two reached an agreement. "I just thought it was a kind of a trick," Hagar said about his initial reaction to the proposal. "Dave was trying to get back with Van Halen so much, and I thought he was trying to use me as some leverage to get his foot back in the door, because I know what Dave really wanted in life was to be back with Van Halen and have things be like they used to be. That wasn't my goal at all, ever. Once I was out of that band, I was like, 'Hey, I've had enough of this. If these guys are going to be like that, I'm done with it.'"

"I have no relationship with Ed [guitarist Eddie Van Halen] and Al [drummer Alex Van Halen] whatsoever," he continued. "I figure they owe me a phone call and I'll still say that. If they ever want to be friends again I'll be happy to be friends with them, but they have to prove their friendship now because they betrayed me. I stick to my story -- no matter what they tell you, what they said about me quitting, I did not quit that band. I was stabbed in the back. Major. When somebody does that to you, they're no longer your friend. I got fucked by those guys and so if they ever want to be friends again, they have to call me."

The coupling of Hagar and Roth for the tour is surprising in part because of the shots the two have taken at each other in the press over the years, an issue that was addressed when the two singers met. "The one thing that Dave said, a quote that came out of his mouth in the first meeting, he said, 'Let's just start from here. Everything that happened before this, let's erase it.' I said 'Right the fuck on!' So it's been kind of like that. There could be some rivalry out there, I'm sure. There's going to be nights where he ain't singing good, or I ain't singing good and the other guy is, you know, and we're going to be pissed off at each other. And it's going to be like, 'I had a sore throat he knew it, and he went off.' It'll be that kind of insecure, nutty stuff."

Asked to speculate how the news of his pairing with Roth would be received in the Van Halen camp, Hagar offered his prediction. "Them fuckers smoked a carton of cigarettes and drank a case of beer, I guarantee it, before one word was said. They looked at each other and Ed went, 'Fuck, Al, what are we going to do?' And Al went, 'I don't know Ed, lemme think about it.'"

Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth tour dates:

5/29: Cuyahoga Falls, OH, Blossom Music Center
    5/31: Clarkston, MI, DTE Energy Music Theatre
    6/1: Tinley Park, IL, Tweeter Center
    6/2: Noblesville, IN, Verizon Wireless Music Center
    6/4: Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center
    6/6: Bonner Springs, KN, Sandstone Amphitheater
    6/7: Maryland Heights, MO, UMB Bank Pavilion
    6/8: East Troy, WI, Alpine Valley
    6/10: Peoria, IL, Peoria Civic Center
    6/11: Columbus, OH, Polaris Amphitheater
    6/14: San Antonio, TX, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
    6/15: Dallas, Smirnoff Music Center
    6/16: Houston, C.W. Mitchell Pavilion
    6/18: Albuquerque, NM, Journal Pavilion
    6/19: Denver, Fiddler's Green
    6/21: Phoenix, Cricket Pavilion
    6/22: Devore, CA, Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion
    6/24: Hollywood, Universal Amphitheater
    6/25: Fresno, CA, Selland Arena
    6/27: Mountain View, CA, Shoreline Amphitheater
    6/29: George, WA, The Gorge

COLIN DEVENISH
    (April 17, 2002)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.vh1.com/news/stories/1453456.jhtml

Ex-Van Halen Singers Team Up For Sam & Dave Tour

Diamond Dave, Red Rocker will kick off co-headlining trek May 29.

By Corey Moss

David Lee Roth
    Photo: Warner

WEST HOLLYWOOD — It's not exactly what Van Halen fans had hoped for, but it's definitely intriguing. David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar, former singers for the group, will co-headline a national tour beginning May 29 near Cleveland.

And if Tuesday's (April 16) press conference to announce the outing is any indication, Diamond Dave and the Red Rocker are going to be the perfect pairing. Like a rock and roll comedy duo, the blond bastions of partying traded gags one-after-another at the Sky Bar, setting each other up and flashing face-wide grins at each punch line.

"Sammy and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same sh---y hazing," Roth said. "I think this tour is going to last a lot longer than Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love" (see "Hole Walks Out On Tour, Manson Injury Postpones Several Dates").

Roth and Hagar, the man who replaced him in Van Halen in 1985, certainly share a line or two on their résumés, but their joint tour is about more than that, Hagar said. "This is about making a statement."

"What we are about is a spirit, an attitude," added Roth, who was clad in black leather and surrounded by women in fluorescent yellow spandex cat suits. "It goes beyond the last band we were in. It's a state of mind and a point of view that Van Halen has misplaced — twice."

Hagar said he first approached Roth with the idea five years ago, but the boisterous singer shot it down.

"Yes, Sam, you did have the idea first, but the time was wrong," Roth said. "Now the time is right. It's completely unpredictable."

Tuesday marked only the second time the two, who have traded verbal jabs in the past, have spent any significant time together under one roof.

"I think that was before we met," Hagar said of their past animosity. Now that they're acquainted, will they perform together onstage? "We don't know each other well enough. I don't trust him," Hagar joked.

"Any rivalry that may have occurred is nothing that can't be cured with a little Cabo Wabo Tequila," Roth added, referring to Hagar's liquor brand.

Jokes aside, the singers said their friendly rivalry will push both of them to perform to the best of their abilities, hence the boxing reference in the tour's official slogan: "Song for song, the heavyweight champs of rock 'n' roll."

Roth and Hagar will each play 90-minute sets, alternating the headlining slot.

"We're going to flip a blonde in the next city and I'm going to call tails," Roth joked. "You have to think of it as two title fights with no under card. This is a co-headlining tour here. We'll flip a coin and the winner will headline opening night and then we'll flip-flop."

Both singers said they plan to include a heavy dose of Van Halen in their sets.

"I'm going to do almost exclusively the Van Halen catalog," Roth said. "It's about time that we show up and not just do renditions. I have a hot band that will serve it large."

"He's going to do some of the Van Halen songs I did," Hagar joked.

"Since Dave actually wrote those songs," Roth shot back.

"What you have is quintessential Americana, and you couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that," explained Roth, who described the vibe of the tour as a cross between Jimmy Buffett and Limp Bizkit. "Between the two of us there is probably something between 80 to 100 million albums sold. And whether you've owned it or not, you've heard Sammy or my voice blaring out of a pickup truck in front of you at the drive-thru at the local Burger King for how many summers?"

As for the chances of Eddie and Alex Van Halen joining either singer for a reunion, it doesn't appear likely. Although Hagar and Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony are working together on a side project and both Hagar and Roth said Anthony is welcome to perform with them, they did not sound interested in the Van Halen brothers.

"I'm not sure what the brothers think and I'm not sure I really care," Roth said.

When asked why Gary Cherone, the other former Van Halen singer, is not on the bill, Roth joked that the former Extreme frontman was busy doing "The Vagina Monologues."

Roth/Hagar tour dates, according to a spokesperson for the tour:
    5/29 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH @ Blossom Music Center
    5/31 - Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Music Center
    6/1 - Tinley Park, IL @ Tweeter Center
    6/2 - Noblesville, IN @ Verizon Wireless Music Center
    6/4 - Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center
    6/6 - Bonner Springs, KS @ Sandstone Amphitheatre
    6/7 - Maryland Heights, MO @ UMB Bank Pavilion
    6/8 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre
    6/10 - Peoria, IL @ Peoria Civic Center Arena
    6/11 - Columbus, OH @ Polaris Amphitheater
    6/14 - Selma, TX @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    6/15 - Dallas, TX @ Smirnoff Music Centre
    6/16 - The Woodlands, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
    6/18 - Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavilion
    6/19 - Englewood, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre
    6/21 - Phoenix, AZ @ Cricket Pavilion
    6/22 - Devore, CA @ Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion
    6/24 - Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheatre
    6/25 - Fresno, CA @ Selland Arena
    6/27 - Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre
    6/29 - George, WA @ The Gorge

This report is from MTV News

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

QUOTE HIGHLIGHTS:

David Lee Roth: "Sammy and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same sh.tty hazing. I think this tour is going to last a lot longer than Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love.

But after two decades of slagging each other in the press, they ain't exactly talkin' 'bout love. "It's not like Dave and I are old buddies or anything," said Hagar, 54. "This is a pretty competitive tour, in my book."

Roth, who likened the competition to a NASCAR tour in which fans show up to see a crash, said he believed ticket demand would be strong. "Between the two of us, what you have is quintessential Americana," he said, "and you couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that, because we have a whole busload of people out there who've been waiting way too long for something really good to happen with this music."

Clearly, he is addressing the fans here, and most likely US, the most vocal interent community.

"We're gonna flip a blonde in the next city and I'm gonna call tails," Roth responded.

Roth said he imagines a duet or two is "inevitable," although he can't name the tune. "I've never sang any of his songs," he said.

On whether any reaction from Van Halen had trickled down through common channels, Roth replied, "I'm not sure what the brothers think, and I'm not sure I even really care. I think probably the two biggest words up there on Howdy Doody mountain now are 'Uh-oh.'"

LOL

Very Interesting...

"I have no relationship with Ed [guitarist Eddie Van Halen] and Al [drummer Alex Van Halen] whatsoever," he continued. "I figure they owe me a phone call and I'll still say that. If they ever want to be friends again I'll be happy to be friends with them, but they have to prove their friendship now because they betrayed me. I stick to my story -- no matter what they tell you, what they said about me quitting, I did not quit that band. I was stabbed in the back. Major. When somebody does that to you, they're no longer your friend. I got fucked by those guys and so if they ever want to be friends again, they have to call me."

WOW!!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

"The one thing that Dave said, a quote that came out of his mouth in the first meeting, he said, 'Let's just start from here. Everything that happened before this, let's erase it.' I said 'Right the fuck on!' So it's been kind of like that. There could be some rivalry out there, I'm sure. There's going to be nights where he ain't singing good, or I ain't singing good and the other guy is, you know, and we're going to be pissed off at each other. And it's going to be like, 'I had a sore throat he knew it, and he went off.' It'll be that kind of insecure, nutty stuff."

Kool...

Asked to speculate how the news of his pairing with Roth would be received in the Van Halen camp, Hagar offered his prediction. "Them fuckers smoked a carton of cigarettes and drank a case of beer, I guarantee it, before one word was said. They looked at each other and Ed went, 'Fuck, Al, what are we going to do?' And Al went, 'I don't know Ed, lemme think about it.'"

I say, WOW again.... [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Roth and Hagar, the man who replaced him in Van Halen in 1985, certainly share a line or two on their résumés, but their joint tour is about more than that, Hagar said. "This is about making a statement."

What we are about is a spirit, an attitude," added Roth, who was clad in black leather and surrounded by women in fluorescent yellow spandex cat suits. "It goes beyond the last band we were in. It's a state of mind and a point of view that Van Halen has misplaced — twice."

Kool...

"Yes, Sam, you did have the idea first, but the time was wrong," Roth said. "Now the time is right. It's completely unpredictable."

"Any rivalry that may have occurred is nothing that can't be cured with a little Cabo Wabo Tequila," Roth added, referring to Hagar's liquor brand.

Classic, I think they will jam together... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ April 17, 2002 at 11:25 AM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]</p>

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._1&ncid=768&e=

Former Van Halen Singers Bury Hatchet for Tour
    Tue Apr 16, 8:02 PM ET
    By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - One of rock 'n' roll's oddest soap operas took a new twist on Tuesday when the two former lead singers of Van Halen said they would tour together now that the hugely popular rock band has run aground.

Photos

Reuters Photo
    Slideshows

AP Photo
    Former Van Halen Singers Bury Hatchet for Tour

Original singer David Lee Roth, 47, and his replacement Sammy Hagar, 54, told reporters they would hit the road in May for a co-headlining tour of U.S. arenas.

The tour is subtly billed as "Song for Song: The Heavyweight Champs of Rock And Roll," a reference to Hagar's pugilist past and to Roth's enthusiasm for martial arts.

It unites two performers who sold a combined 70 million records worldwide with Van Halen, one of the most successful American rock bands of the last 25 years. And also one of the most chaotic: the band has been through three singers, and has not released a new album in almost four years.

The Roth/Hagar tour will allow fans to hear such Van Halen classics as "Panama," "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Why Can't This Be Love" -- albeit without the fiery guitar of Van Halen's musical mastermind, Eddie Van Halen. The influential rocker has been battling cancer, but is now reportedly cancer-free.

MR. ROTH, I PRESUME

Roth co-founded Van Halen in 1974 with the Dutch-born Van Halen brothers, Eddie and drummer Alex, and bass player Michael Anthony. Success led to ego problems, and Roth quit in 1985 for a failed solo career. Hagar came on board that year and maintained the band's momentum. But that run came to a messy end in 1996. Hagar claimed he was fired during a Father's Day call at home from Eddie Van Halen; the band claims Hagar quit.

At that time Hagar approached Roth about touring together, but was rebuffed. Then Roth revived the idea a few months ago, and the two met for the first time to work out creative issues.

Tuesday's news conference, at a trendy Hollywood bar, marked only their second meeting, and it underscored the huge differences between the pair.

The flashy Roth, dressed in black nylon trousers and shirt, was accompanied by three bodyguards, three masked catwomen in fluorescent unitards and a beer-drinking midget sporting an Andy Warhol wig. Hagar turned up solo in jeans and T-shirt.

Roth, the consummate salesman, charmed the crowd with witty one-liners and double entendres. Hagar brought things back to earth with sensible comments.

"Between the two of us," Roth declared, "What you have is quintessential Americana. You couldn't pick a more appropriate time for that. Whether you owned any of the records or the albums between the two of us ... you've heard Sammy's or my voice tearing out of a pick-up truck in front of you in the driveway of a local Burger King for how many f

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' summers."
    In the past, Roth has referred to Hagar as "a mediocre talent," "a complete failure," "a mindless little bridge-troll drone" and "my bitch."

Both seemed ready to bury the hatchet, although Hagar admitted, "It's not like Dave and I are old buddies or anything." Instead, they view the tour as a friendly competition, seeing who can blow the other one off the stage. They have not yet decided who will open for whom.

ROTH AN "EGOMANIAC"

Hagar told Reuters afterwards that he doubted there would be much backstage chumminess between the two, and he expected Roth would soon get annoying.

"He's like an egomaniac -- in a positive sense, that he really, really thinks he's the greatest thing that ever walked on this planet."

But separately, Roth told Reuters said he and Hagar have a lot in common "just by virtue of a common delight in an overly packed backstage dressing room."

Asked to predict the reaction from the Van Halen brothers, Roth told reporters said he did not know and did not care. Neither has communicated with the Van Halens in several years. Hagar hoped Anthony would come out on the tour with him.

Amid Hagar's departure in 1996, Roth stunned the music world by recording a few songs with his former bandmates and appearing with them at the MTV Video Music Awards that September. But they soon tired of each other, and the band recruited its third singer, Gary Cherone. His 1998 debut with the band, "Van Halen III" stiffed and Cherone later left the band.

The "Song for Song" roadshow will begin May 29 in Cleveland, Ohio, and dates on the open-ended tour currently run through June 29. Both hoped they could record together too.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

THE PHOTO!!!!!!!!!

Sammy Hagar (L) and David Lee Roth pose for photos after announcing their Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth Tour 2002 in Los Angeles, California April 16, 2002. The legendary rockers, who both used to sing for the rock band Van Halen, joined forces for a concert tour starting on May 29 Cleveland, Ohio. (Adrees Latif/Reuters)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...161/1eqkz.html

[img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

bump...

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all your work! [img]smile.gif[/img] No easy task finding all these articles, citing the source and displaying them (for the lazy ones like me who don't make the time to follow the link )

No matter how many times I see it in print, I still can't believe that it's really happening. I keep wanting someone to pinch me just to make sure I'm not dreaming!
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Last Online

01.12.12 @ 04:17 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great reading!!! Thanks for the work, DLR's Cock!
    Van Halen is as Van Halen does, momma used to say.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MrBlaque, and LA, thank you very much!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] If anyone sees any other articles put them here, so we can just keep them all in one thread.

Banned!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's not an article but if you go over to wireimage.com there a whole bunch of pics from the press conference. Unfortunately, you have to be a member to get past the thumbnails.

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryList...yp=gls====9314

Enjoy.

Favorite VH Album

Oh! You ate one, too?
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 03:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This IS a GREAT photo!

Nice job, DLR'sCock!

A friend of mine called me, all excited, said he saw the news on Entertainment Tonite!

Anyone else catch it?
    "Keep honking buddy. I'm reloading..." -The Mard

"......HEY!.............alright............." -BIG FOOT

" I know what you're thinking: "Do I want to watch Mard? We know that horses were very strong and could actually stop airplanes from flying away. The ones made out of stone called "statues" -- occasionally came to life and rode off is a colonial cliche. How many more times do we need to hear about how the oppressive Raj's wore villainous black capes, crafted cunning plastic masks to impersonate people, and drained all the blood from their slaves so they could keep the fluid in bottles in their dungeons? I mean, YAWN!

But if you're willing to sit through this dry sort of historical drama one more time -- or even just this dry historical review -- you will not be disappointed. In fact, some of you might just learn something they didn't teach you in school!-
    MARD-The Movie

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,9823,00.html

Hagar, Roth Hit the Mean Streets
    by Mark Armstrong
    Apr 17, 2002, 2:00 PM PT

Hide the brown M&Ms, and break out the Cabo Wabo tequila: Former Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar have officially joined forces for a summer tour--without their former band.

Once bitter rivals, the two partying, power-lunged singers will co-headline the Song for Song: The Heavyweight Champs of Rock and Roll tour, kicking off May 29 in Cleveland.

Joined by a beer-guzzling midget and several women wearing slinky fluorescent cat outfits, Roth, 47, and Hagar, 54, stood side-by-side Tuesday at the Sky Bar in West Hollywood to reveal the details of their much-buzzed-about road trip, unofficially dubbed the "Sans Halen Tour," or just "Sam & Dave."

"Sammy and I are like fraternity brothers that have been through the same shitty hazing," Roth told reporters at the rollicking event. "What we are about is a spirit, an attitude. It goes beyond the last band we were in. It's a state of mind and a point of view that Van Halen has misplaced--twice."

Roth fronted Van Halen--featuring guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alex Van Halen and bassist Michael Anthony--from its beginnings in the 1970s until 1985, when he bailed to focus on a solo career. Hagar then took over until the mid-'90s, when he was abruptly replaced by former Extreme singer Gary Cherone.

Still, the pairing of Diamond Dave and the Red Rocker seemed about as unlikely as a Van Halen reunion with either singer. In the past, Roth has referred to Hagar as a "mediocre talent" and "my bitch." But the twosome never actually met each other until this year. Hagar recently said on his Website that he was "blown away at how well they got along together."

Still, Hagar said, "It's not like Dave and I are old buddies or anything. This is a pretty competitive tour in my book." Added Roth: "Any rivalry that may have occurred is nothing that can't be cured with a little Cabo Wabo tequila."

Though they only announced dates up through June 29, the tour is expected to run through the summer. Each singer and his band will perform for 90 minutes--flipping a coin at the first show to determine who opens, and then alternating after that.

"We're gonna flip a blonde in the next city and I'm gonna call tails," Roth cracked.

Diamond Dave said he planned to perform "almost exclusively" songs from his Van Halen days, while Hagar plans tunes from both Van Halen and solo material.

When asked if they've heard any response from their estranged ex-bandmates, Roth replied, "I'm not sure what the brothers think, and I'm not sure I even really care. I think probably the two biggest words up there on Howdy Doody mountain now are 'Uh-oh.'"

Hagar, meanwhile, indicated that he had wanted Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony to join up with him. The pair recently collaborated with Neal Schon of Journey to record some songs under the name Planet Us.

Also, don't expect to see the other ex-Van Halen frontman, Cherone, playing any shows with Roth and Hagar. When asked whether Cherone was approached, Roth joked that the former Extreme singer was busy "performing The Vagina Monologues."

Here's a rundown of the first leg of the Roth/Hagar tour:

5/29, Blossom Music Center, Cleveland

5/31, DTE Energy Music Theater, Detroit

6/1, Tweeter Center, Chicago

6/2, Verizon Wireless Music Center, Indianapolis

6/4, Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati

6/6, Sandstone Amphitheater, Kansas City

6/7, UMB Bank Pavilion, St. Louis

6/8, Alpine Valley Music Theater, East Troy, Wisconsin

6/10, Peoria Civic Center Arena, Peoria, Illinois

6/11, Polaris Amphitheater, Columbus, Ohio

6/14, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, San Antonio