Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the Saratogian - a pretty positive review!

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- OK, let's get the two obvious things about the Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth show at Saratoga Performing Arts Center Saturday night out of the way first: Eddie, Alex and Michael were not there, and Sammy and Dave did not perform onstage together.
    With that said, it's still hard to settle the fan debate of who is the better singer. That was the buzz around SPAC before, during and after the show. It was, however, almost like watching two different concerts.

Roth was the opener of Saturday's show (he and Hagar have been alternating), and he did not come out with any pomp or circumstance. Roth just merely appeared onstage and let out his signature ''Look at all the people here tonight'' before he and the band roared into ''Hot for Teacher.''

Roth's show was pretty nonstop from there, and for major Van Halen fans, this was definitely the show to see. Roth played such classics as ''Panama,'' ''And the Cradle Will Rock'' ''Mean Streets,'' ''Dance the Night Away'' and ''Runnin' with the Devil.''

And Roth's show, of course, was just like it had been in the past -- all about sex. Part way into the show, he stopped to flirt with a blonde woman in the audience.

''I'm allowed to make a booty call during work,'' Diamond Dave said as he flashed his trademark boyish grin, making the woman blush. Her face was plastered all over the giant video screens as the cameraman focused in on her.

''That's not a smile,'' Roth told her. ''That's assault with a deadly weapon.''

Roth still has what it takes to get the crowd going, despite his voice being a little weaker, his high-flying kicks not exactly getting so high and a few ''woo-oohs'' missing from some songs.

It was classic Roth, though, as he imbibed from his Jack Daniels bottle and played to the crowd (as well as showering the audience with the whiskey in a not-so-polite manner).

Roth continued his Van Halen retrospective with ''Show Your Love,'' ''You Really Got Me'' and ''Beautiful Girls,'' which featured plenty of eye candy on the video screen for the guys in the crowd.

''Playing a gig like this -- under the stars -- this is America,'' Roth said before reaching way back into the vault for ''So This is Love?'' ''Atomic Punk,'' ''Little Dreamer'' and ''DOA,'' songs I haven't heard in a really long time.

He also performed ''Pretty Woman,'' ''Yankee Rose'' (the only solo Roth material he played), ''Ice Cream Man,'' ''Everybody Wants Some'' (with a slight alteration in words not suitable for print) and ''Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love'' before coming out for his encore of ''Jump,'' which he ended with his signature off-the-riser-split-in-the-air final jump.

In all, Roth put on a good show, though it lacked the energy of what I have seen from him in the past. I did have some problems with his guitar player, Brian Young. Guitarists may be able to play Eddie Van Halen's music, but there certainly is not a guitar player like Eddie Van Halen. Young was also no Steve Vai, although he did do a pretty good job on ''Yankee Rose'' and the other songs.

Also, it was hard not to be distracted by the video going on behind the band as it was filled with everything from women dressed in wet suits and cat suits to partially dressed women dancing.

After a short break, it was Hagar's turn, and if Roth was all about sex, Hagar was definitely all about drinking and drugs. (Trust me, folks, this was not an appropriate show for the few kids I saw in the audience.)

Hagar's set began with a ''Behind the Music'' type show on the video screen. It was all about Hagar's musical career and his newest interests, a nightclub in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, called Cabo Wabo and Hagar's Cabo Wabo brand of tequila. As the footage ended, a large curtain was drawn across the stage as Bob Dylan's voice sang out ''everybody must get stoned.''

Once the curtain was pulled back, it was like a party as a group of lucky fans got to watch the show from two sets of bleachers that were set up onstage. Hagar came out dressed in beach attire -- Bermuda shorts, a Cabo Wabo T-shirt and sunglasses -- not exactly what should have been worn on such a cold, rainy night, which Hagar made note of several times.

But the cold weather wasn't going to stop Hagar as he warmed himself up with plenty of tequila, served to him from his own personal ''waitress'' (read: girl dressed in a skimpy outfit).

Hagar, surprisingly, did stick to a lot of Van Halen stuff, including ''Runaround,'' ''Right Now'' (in which Hagar said, ''right now, Sammy thinks it's summer''), ''Why Can't This be Love?'' and ''Best of Both Worlds.'' He also played some non-Van Halen stuff, including ''Shaka Doobie,'' ''Three Lock Box,'' ''There's Only One Way to Rock,'' ''Heavy Metal'' and the ever-popular ''I Can't Drive 55,'' which Hagar said was penned right here in New York after he was stopped on the Northway on a trip from Albany to Lake Placid in 1983.

Another not-for-print story came out before Hagar and the Waboritas played the Van Halen tune ''Finish What Ya Started.''

At times, Hagar did speak affectionately of his former bandmates, something Roth didn't even attempt to do.

By the time Hagar got to ''Mas Tequila,'' he had indulged in plenty of the alcoholic beverage onstage and then decided to splatter a few glasses of it all over the crowd. Next, a large tequila bottle-shaped pi-ata came down from the rafters, and with one hit it cracked open, sending confetti flying.

Hagar's high-energy party closed out with an encore of ''When It's Love'' and ''Dreams.'' During the final song, the bleacher fans were allowed to stand onstage and sing with Hagar.

But it was Hagar who got the last word as he thanked the crowd and said, ''Tomorrow, I'm gonna buy myself some long pants and a long shirt, and I'll be OK'' before being carried offstage by his bandmates.

So who won this battle of the former Van Halen singers in a night that was filled with sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? Who knows, but it certainly was a lot of fun trying to figure it out.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Mean Streets and Show Your Love I have never heard of. I have, however, heard of "Mean Street" and "I'm the One".

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

07.30.08 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Network TV is free because advertising pays the bills - what's Sammy's excuse? How embarassing!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Why can't reviewers at least take the time to research their facts before publishing their stories? It's just laziness and shoddy journalism. Probably why that guy is writing for a paper in Saratoga. No offense.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Boy, you guys really are sticklers for details! I thought the review was one the most interesting "impartial" reviews I've seen about this tour. Yes, the writer got the name of a 25 year old album cut wrong, and added an "s" to "Mean Street". So lets disregard everything else and kill the guy for that. Hey, even Dave forgets the words sometimes!

And by the way, I can't speak for the writer, but not everyone considers "The City of Lost Angels" the ideal place to work or live. No offense. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ August 29, 2002, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Push2Shove ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Brett:
    Why can't reviewers at least take the time to research their facts before publishing their stories? It's just laziness and shoddy journalism. Probably why that guy is writing for a paper in Saratoga. No offense.
    Yeah - I loved the last sentence:

So who won this battle of the former Van Halen singers in a night that was filled with sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? Who knows, but it certainly was a lot of fun trying to figure it out.
    Bwahahahahahaha! That works on so many levels...

bk
    A headless body in a topless bar...