Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i didn't get a chance to run down toward Blossom to see if there's anywhere we could meet before the show (and if memory serves, there isn't really anywhere, unless you count the Burger King on old Rt. 8...) so anyone planning on partying somewhere else before the show?

i'm leaving work at 2, gonna be at Hooters in Mentor around three. if anyone's coming in from the far east side, or from PA and eastward on Rt. 90 or Ohio 2, stop on by. we'll probably leave Hooters around 5, grab Rt. 90 to Rt. 271 south, and then down Rt. 8 to Steels Corners Rd. we'll be in the red Jeep Wrangler, top down, blasting Roth-era VH, and traveling at a high rate of speed...

and if you are planning on partying in the car-don't. the cops stake out Rt. 8 and surrounding roads going into Blossom, and they love to hand out open container tickets. tailgating with alcohol is frowned upon in the Blossom parking lot, too. and to make things worse, Blossom is sponsored by Coors Light, and i don't know if they sell any other brands of beer at the venue...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude, this place sounds like a shithole [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] No TAILGATING???!? Who the f*** do they think they are?

I'm coming from far (far) east, so I'm not sure where I'm going or what it's like. I'll try to find that hooters you're talking about. What's that Steels Corners Rd. you're talking about? Is that a place you're gonna party at, or an outdoors thing?

I'm coming with my girlfriend, and not really sure where I'm going, but I'd like to meet a few of you VH-heads! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh yea, and I got 2 extra tix, if you know anyone that wants to go.

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother-in-law and myself will be going!
    Coming out of the western NY area (about 3 hour drive). We were planning to leave around 12:30 Wed. afternoon, which would put us in around 3:30. We figured on tailgate party though!! Were coming from the tailgate capitol of the world up here in Buffalo!! I can't imagine NO TAILGATING?!?! WTF is up with that?!?!

Can someone clarify this please??

If we can't tailgate, there's gonna be 2 pissed off VH fans!!! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's not a shithole, it's just out in the middle of nowhere...

thing is, Blossom was built to be the summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra. the pavilion is optimized for orchestra music. then they figured out it would be a good place for other musical events. of course, the locals say those "other events" bring "undesirables" to town, the kind that drink in their cars, and pull over and piss in neighboring homes' yards. so the po-lice started a crackdown, this all started probably 10 years ago, and some people don't get the hint, they keep drinkin' in their cars, thinking they're not gonna get a ticket. but the cops sit in unmarked cars, and have been known to sit IN TREES, of all places, to catch those with open containers. so it's quite the revenue stream for the local department...i hate it out there. there's like two roads in, and two roads out, not like downtown Cleveland, where you can park on the street for nothing, if you don't mind the walk, or you can pay $15 and park right next door...anything related to VH is on a VERY short list of bands i'd go out there to see. i've been rear-ended out there a couple times, waiting in traffic, and the ride back always seems to take another 45 minutes than it did on the way in...

Steels Corners Rd is the actual road Blossom is on. if you're coming in on the Ohio Turnpike, there's an exit on Rt 8. i think there are signs there, but you'd end up going south on Rt 8, until you hit the Steels Corners Rd exit, and take a right. if you're coming in Rt 90 through PA, Hooters is easy to find, you'd get off at Rt 306, also says the Mentor/Kirtland exit. take a right, you'll go through 5 intersecions with stoplights, the 6th one will be Hooters on the right. if you hit another freeway overpass, you've gone a hair too far...Blossom's about an hour, 1 1/2 from Mentor, depending on traffic. but i don't party much in Summit County, where Blossom is, so i'm partying close to home...

if anyone needs some directions, either to Blossom or Hooters, lemme know which way you're coming in, and i can nail it down better...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VH2001:
    Coming out of the western NY area (about 3 hour drive). We were planning to leave around 12:30 Wed. afternoon, which would put us in around 3:30. We figured on tailgate party though!! Were coming from the tailgate capitol of the world up here in Buffalo!! I can't imagine NO TAILGATING?!?! WTF is up with that?!?!

If we can't tailgate, there's gonna be 2 pissed off VH fans!!! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    back in 95, i think it was, i went to the David Bowie/nine inch nails show at Blossom. the two cars next to us were tailgating with alcohol visible...until the county sherrif came by and put a stop to it. fuckin' cleaned 'em out. it hasn't gotten any better since then, the crowds have gotten more unruly, and they tightened the screws a bit more. some shows you can't even take in a blanket to sit on if you have lawn tickets...because they can be used to start a fire, so most "alternative" shows (and Ozzfest) don't allow it. so you get to sit in the wet grass, once the dew comes down, or if it rains...

if you do anything, mix some rum and cokes, or screwdrivers, and use the original coke or juice bottle. beer looks like beer no matter what ya put it in, so i'd watch that. they don't mind grills, picnic-type tailgating, etc, but if you got alky, watch your back. hell, they use the undercover guys out in the parking lot, too.

tailgating is OK in Cleveland, as long as it doesn't get too crazy. but Blossom ain't in Cleveland, it's closer to Akron, and they're a bit "uppity" down there...

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VH2001:

back in 95, i think it was, i went to the David Bowie/nine inch nails show at Blossom. the two cars next to us were tailgating with alcohol visible...until the county sherrif came by and put a stop to it. fuckin' cleaned 'em out. it hasn't gotten any better since then, the crowds have gotten more unruly, and they tightened the screws a bit more. some shows you can't even take in a blanket to sit on if you have lawn tickets...because they can be used to start a fire, so most "alternative" shows (and Ozzfest) don't allow it. so you get to sit in the wet grass, once the dew comes down, or if it rains...

if you do anything, mix some rum and cokes, or screwdrivers, and use the original coke or juice bottle. beer looks like beer no matter what ya put it in, so i'd watch that. they don't mind grills, picnic-type tailgating, etc, but if you got alky, watch your back. hell, they use the undercover guys out in the parking lot, too.

tailgating is OK in Cleveland, as long as it doesn't get too crazy. but Blossom ain't in Cleveland, it's closer to Akron, and they're a bit "uppity" down there...
    </font>[/QUOTE]Daaaaamn, smuggling some alcohol in hear sounds like it'll be a covert operation. I'm up to the challenge [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow.. didn't know it was gonna be soo strict in OH. In nj, its pretty laxed.. And drinking coors light inside doesn't sound like much fun.. Its like drinking water, with a yeast flavoring lol.. Well, hopefully i can get some drinks in before the show, but since i'm coming from jersey, i'm not taking the chance on getting booted out..

~Matt

[ May 27, 2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: mattjw01 ]
    "And my loves got no rain check baby!"-DLR

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it's not all of Ohio...just Blossom. we went to OSU in 97 for the Stones show, and we tailgated the right way there. brought a case with us, made a run for some more...no prob. it's just these country-living tree huggers in Cuyahoga Falls that make Blossom such a pain in the ass...if it's a downtown Cleveland show, you can either tailgate, or hang out at a bar for however many hours before the show...

here's a link to Blossom's general info page...looks like it's gonna be around 70-75 degrees on the day of the show, slight chance of rain...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.24.15 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

twonabomber is absolutely right about the cops up in the trees with binoculars. I saw Van Halen at Blossom back in 93'. Just as we were about to get in the parking lot, a traffic cop tells us to pull over to this little lot on the side. They searched the car, handed out 3 tickets for open containers and then made my buddy dump out an entire case of Budweiser. The fine was $150.

Do yourselves a favor and don't even think about drinking in the car on the way in.
    "The sunglasses ask his permission to be worn every night, that's how badass Al is.." - sinner's swing

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for info. Blossom is strict as hell. It's the only place/venue in OH,PA,NY,NJ,MD,VA that I've ever been 'detained-cited.'

Look forward to seeing all of you, and DLR & SH of course.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    it's not a shithole, it's just out in the middle of nowhere...

thing is, Blossom was built to be the summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra. the pavilion is optimized for orchestra music. then they figured out it would be a good place for other musical events. of course, the locals say those "other events" bring "undesirables" to town, the kind that drink in their cars, and pull over and piss in neighboring homes' yards. so the po-lice started a crackdown, this all started probably 10 years ago, and some people don't get the hint, they keep drinkin' in their cars, thinking they're not gonna get a ticket. but the cops sit in unmarked cars, and have been known to sit IN TREES, of all places, to catch those with open containers. so it's quite the revenue stream for the local department...i hate it out there. there's like two roads in, and two roads out, not like downtown Cleveland, where you can park on the street for nothing, if you don't mind the walk, or you can pay $15 and park right next door...anything related to VH is on a VERY short list of bands i'd go out there to see. i've been rear-ended out there a couple times, waiting in traffic, and the ride back always seems to take another 45 minutes than it did on the way in...

Steels Corners Rd is the actual road Blossom is on. if you're coming in on the Ohio Turnpike, there's an exit on Rt 8. i think there are signs there, but you'd end up going south on Rt 8, until you hit the Steels Corners Rd exit, and take a right. if you're coming in Rt 90 through PA, Hooters is easy to find, you'd get off at Rt 306, also says the Mentor/Kirtland exit. take a right, you'll go through 5 intersecions with stoplights, the 6th one will be Hooters on the right. if you hit another freeway overpass, you've gone a hair too far...

Actually, if they're coming from the east, it's the 306 South Mentor/Kirtland exit. Two lights past the off-ramp & on the left is Hooters.

Blossom's about an hour, 1 1/2 from Mentor, depending on traffic. but i don't party much in Summit County, where Blossom is, so i'm partying close to home...

if anyone needs some directions, either to Blossom or Hooters, lemme know which way you're coming in, and i can nail it down better...
    LOL ! Twona, I just may hook up with you, as Hooters is right across the street from one of my offices ! Small world, indeed....

And yes, the ride down to Steels Corners has never been what you would call a pleasant one - I'm also concerned about rush-hour traffic heading down 8. If anyone's driving a beater car, bring some water for the radiator , as things do indeed tend to back up horribly near showtime.

Yep - Two ways in, but it seems like one way out. But hey - This kickoff will supercede all that..... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's try that response-to-quote again.....

If you're coming from the east, Hooters is the 306 Mentor/Kirtland South exit. Two lights past the off-ramp light, and Hooters can be found on the left.

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Don Kirschner Fan:
    LOL ! Twona, I just may hook up with you, as Hooters is right across the street from one of my offices ! Small world, indeed....

And yes, the ride down to Steels Corners has never been what you would call a pleasant one - I'm also concerned about rush-hour traffic heading down 8. If anyone's driving a beater car, bring some water for the radiator , as things do indeed tend to back up horribly near showtime.

Yep - Two ways in, but it seems like one way out. But hey - This kickoff will supercede all that..... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    So, how far is this Hooters from the Blossom Music Center?? I've also heard there are some pretty good places to stop in The Flats!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ May 28, 2002, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: VH2001 ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by VH2001:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Don Kirschner Fan:

So, how far is this Hooters from the Blossom Music Center?? I've also heard there are some pretty good places to stop in The Flats!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]VH2001, Hooters is about an hour/hour-and-a-half from Blossom; The Flats, around the same. That's the problem, as Blossom is south quite a bit. 'Kinda parallel to the Cuyahoga Valley National Forest, so there really isn't much in between north & south.