Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Thread: Indy review

Little Dreamer

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I enjoyed both sets last night. I was really looking forward to hearing the old VH songs and every one of the songs from Dave's set was a classic (well... maybe not Yankee Rose). I thought Dave sounded best during the lower volume moments- the intro to Ice Cream Man for instance was fantastic. At times, I felt that he was trying to scream over the top of the music and was straining too much. I am not at all certain that his voice will make it to the end of this tour. In fact, I noticed that he took a few pauses to save his voice. Not a good sign. He also blew the lyrics more than once. I have to say that although I have always loved both Dave and Sammy era tunes, I was never a big fan of Dave's act. To me, his outfit, hair, and attempted karate kicks last night made me think Spinal Tap, not Van Halen. Unintentionally funny in other words. I was unimpressed with the bass player and drummer but liked the guitar player. He nailed the Mean Streets intro and was technically proficient at reproducing Eddie's notes. At no point did I think I was hearing Eddie though. It was very clinical. Almost antiseptic. That is no criticism. Just my view. You can't clone a man's soul.

Sammy's set was great. While Dave's act felt like a really good retro- cover band, Sammy showed me he still has it. He sounded great. Interestingly, I thought his guitar player was less able to reproduce Eddie's notes, but more able to get the feel of the songs. I love the fact that he still tours with Lauser and Harms from the Geffen days and I really like Mona as well. I saw Sammy a couple of times on the Mars tour and I can tell that this group has played together a lot since then. I could have used "Red" or "Bad Motor Scooter" instead of "Give to Live" or "Eagles Fly" but those songs do demonstrate his range.

I thought it was interesting to see how pro-sammy the crowd was last night. I expected the opposite. The upper pavilion sections sat down through most of Dave but were up through Sammy's set. Lots of Sammy signs, etc.

Mikey was very cool. I am not at all surprised that he would play with Sam but not Dave given some of his comments back when the reunion was rumored. I seem to recall that Mikey said that he would tolerate a reunion with Dave but did not plan on speaking with him all that much.

A great show. I cast my vote for Sammy.

Can't wait to hear Sam, Mike and Neal Schon's new band.

Romeo Delight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AHAHA look at all of the Sammy trolls trying to post messages about how much better he was. How many more new users are going to register here knock on Dave?

I got news for ya pal, I was at the show last night and the crowd was very much into Daves stuff...sitting down my ass.....

[ June 03, 2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: DLR=VH ]

Good Enough

08.17.07 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was there too, and nope... nobody was sitting during Dave's show.

I did see lots leave after Mike finished playing though...

And I did hear a guy say that it was definitely a Sammy crowd... I asked him why, and his response was, 'Look at the people here... big guts, bad teeth, ...hardly a babe in the bunch... yep, a Sammy Crowd." [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would love to see everyones reactions if Sammy just played straight music. No selling tequila, no mixing drinks, no hockey scores, no Michael Anthony.

That would make for an interesting comparison.

Just a thought. [img]smile.gif[/img]