Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.22.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 8,665 Times in 3,600 Posts

If you went to the June 29th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool I'm the first one back to post my review. Well It was probally the greatest concert I've ever been to and the weather was great so here's my review

Dave: Awsome... He came out and just busted out tune after tune and kicked everyone's ass. He hit all the notes and did his usual I'll fuck your GF and the Jack bit, but he was all about the music

Brian Young: This guy is Fucking awsome!!!!!! Plus he has that look with the long hair and his shirt off he just stole the show.

Ray Luzier: Same as Brian just incredible. He put in the coolest fills and was going 110 MPH all night on the drums.

James Lombarzo: Just played and kicked ass.

Overall: Awsome. Is the only way to describe it. They played the same set list as the last few concerts.

Sammy: The ultiment party guy. He was running around the whole night on stage making sure everyone was having a good time. He hit every note. Played some kick ass guitar and just flat out rocked.

Vic Johnson. Whoever said vic sucks, I'd like to see your ass play that great. and just like Brian he also had the stage presence that just makes your jaw drip. He played all the solos perfect, about the only thing I fault him for is for not playing a good guitar like brian, His sideburns kicked ass too.

Mona: Awsome voice and played all mikes parts perfect. No faults what so ever.

The drummer: Awsome snare sound. He just like mona just played his ass off.

Who Won?? Me, and anybody else who see's these guys play. The people who say Dave sucked or sammy sucked, or vic or brian aren't eddie are just dumb fucks, this was a fucking awsome show.

Who Lost?? Me, I paid $64 for 2 shirts in side, $9 for a water and cheeseburger, and another $10 for a bootleg shirt outside, but oh well it's only money. I've got crap loads of pics I'll post later. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ June 30, 2002, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: 5150subaru ]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

One word: AWESOME. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] This was my third time seeing Sammy (95, 00) and first time seeing Dave. I was amazed at how great of a venue the Gorge is. My Dad and I got there about 3 hours before the concert and saw a bunch of cool t-shirts for sale but they were all $32! It was a great dayŚthe sun was out and it didn't rain at all.

Dave's set list was very similar to what he's been playing the entire tour. I was impressed Brian Young, he really nailed each song perfectly on guitar. And I thought Dave was going to skip a lot of lyrics and not sing most of them but he did a good job singing most of the lyrics and his voice sounded good. Compared to Sammy, he didn't really have any long breaks between songs. During Everybody Want Some (I think) someone threw a cigarette onstage and Dave said he did it with that guy's girlfriend before the show. He did his Jack Daniel's routine on a hot chick in the front row early in the show. Dave had some of his DVD clips up on the screen during some songs, and the one during Beautiful Girls was the best. The encore was Jump and the crowd looked like they were having a great time.

Before Sammy came on he had a video intro about his career, which I thought was a cool way to start out. They started out with Red and the place was LOUD. I was hoping to see Michael Anthony jump onto the stage but when they started playing VH material without him it looked like it wasn't going to happen. It was still a good show, though. Sammy was energetic, singing well, and also kicking ass on guitar. The videos that were on the screen during most of the songs were cool. I don't think Sammy playing Eagles Fly killed any momentum the show had, like others have said. It's what he always does at his concerts, even with VH. He dedicated it to John Entwistle and Mona joined in. Overall Vic played pretty well, Mona's background vocals were good, and I thought the drums sounded louder then they should, but the band still sounded great. Top Of The World and Why Can't This Be Love seemed to get the best crowd reactions. Also the encore, Heavy Metal and Dreams. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Both shows were great and worth the 7-hour drive, but I enjoyed Sammy's more. Dave's band played the songs well but there wasn't much else to his show. But after this concert I think that Sammy and Dave are both capable of fronting VH again. If you can go see this show on the second leg, DO IT. It's well worth it, because we don't know when we're going to see VH soon. Sam and Dave rule!

[ June 30, 2002, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Dan Halen ]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a day. What a fuckin' day. I busted out my Skyscraper tour shirt and hit the road with an old pal, only stopping in Moses Lake for pre-concert snacks during my yearly pilgramage to the Gorge. Never have I seen so many old people in hawaiian shirts in my life. The crowd was half the fun, man. Middle aged friends passing weed back and forth nervously like they were in junior high smoking in the boys room. The drunk blonde with the Courtney Love face and the half-shirt that said "Diamond Dave" who kept falling down while trying to crawl over folding chairs in six-inch heels. The hillbilly couple sitting up by the front who were so big the guy had bought two seats for himself. The family taking the son in his 'Korn' shirt to see what real rock n' fucking roll is.

The Merch: I basically emptied my college fund at the merchandise booth, getting the Dave shirt with him in the chair, the flexfit Dave hat, the red Sammy shirt with him tearing shit up on the guitar on back, and the DLR No Holds Bar-B-Que video, which I've been too terrified of to watch yet. I may be broke, but I'm happy and broke.

Dave: Dave was in the same outfit he's worn all this tour, only in blue. The pictures don't do the man justice. He's fucking ripped! Dave busted out the high kicks and spinning kicks effortlesly, and vocally was a thousand times better than when I saw him in '99. The band all seemed to be having fun, and I saw Dave completely crack up Mr. Young a few times. Dave busted out one of hic classic jokes; "Some asshole just threw a lit cigarette up here, but that's okay 'cause his girlfriend is backstage. Oh, bye the way, she left a message for you. She said to tell you 'mmph mm mumm mmba muh'. The whole place just went wild. The Lying Dutchmen need to get this man back in the band.

Sammy: Sammy was loud! He did a lot more jumping and running around than he usually does, which to me seemed like he was trying to keep up with Dave, but I'm biased. Vic looked cool, and ended up wearing a "Vic Kicks Ass" banner someone threw up on stage, after Sammy tied it around his shoulders like a cape. So many people brought banners, Sammy constantly had to throw one off and put another on during the show. Sammy squeezed into a Mariners jersey someone tossed upstage, and turned around to flash the name and number on the back to the crowd, only to discover as he looked at the jumbo-screen that there wasn't one on the back. He got embarassed and said "oops" out loud. He spent a lot of time eyeing the waitresses for a married man. Sammy, as usual, was %100 on the vocals. Mona looked good. Real good. Oh, when they played "Right Now", they played the album version, not the piano-only version! That fucking rocked. Hell, that's a good way to sum up the whole day. Everyone had a good time, and everyone left smiling.

Oh, did I say all that?! What I meant was...

I'll buy THAT for a Dollar!

[ June 30, 2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: DLR The HIP Replacement ]
    The hippest replacement for Gary "Vagina Monologues" Cherone? Diamond Dave!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm posting this review from Ford. He said to say Hi.
    ------------------------------------
    "Unholy fucking shit what an incredible show.

But first, let's get the other guy out of the way

Unfortunately, the recent changes on Sammy's website proved to be true and The Ched Rocker closed the show. However, it appears that Sammy's been reading reviews of this tour. The two things I remember reading a lot in early reviews were how the cheese ballads slowed the momentum and how Sammy's guitarist Vic Johnson was weak on the Eddie material. From where I was sitting, 6th row center (and that "6th row" was more like the second row on one side of the stage) Vic seems to be learning well, though he didn't exactly reproduce the solo for "Poundcake" well, and didn't even bother with the 5150 solo (probably one of the best Eddie wrote in the Van Hagar years).

As predicted, Sammy stuck "Where Eagles Fly" right in the middle of all the decent songs, killing the momentum. I don't dislike this particular song, it just was out of place in that set. Thankfully, he kept the cheese level to a minimum, sticking to the more uptempo Van Hagar stuff, a few of his solo hits, and the Montrose hit "Rock Candy".

I'll say this much for Hagar... this tour has made him a better performer whether he wants to admit it or not (because that would mean crediting Dave). Personally, I think all the blatant tequila advertising and mixing "waboritas" on stage is a bit ridiculous, as was the on stage cheerleaders.

Hagar's encore began with a grungy rendition of "Heavy Metal" which was far heavier than the 1980/81 original. Then he had to ruin a decent ending to his show by saving the CHEESEFEST "Dreams" for the final encore, complete with his chedhead cheerleaders filing out from the bleachers to sing the Velveeta National Anthem with their hero. Sammy seems to have learned a couple things from competing with the master, but this was just a WEAK way to end the show......

And now, to the REAL stars of the evening......

Eddie who??

The sheep will bitch, as they always do, but let me tell you, right now, Van Halen is Dave, Brian, James, and Ray and that's all it needs to be.

As good as the Bumbershoot show last year was, multiply that by at least 5. I thought Bart Walsh did very well then, but Brian Young proved that it could be done far better. And better than Eddie himself in recent years.

(Yeah.. BAAAAAH, Eddie is Jesus, I know Don't want to discredit the Messiah, even if it's true)

Ray - a fucking monster on drums! Alex Van Halen hasn't hit a drum this hard since his second divorce.

And the man himself......?

Any sheep has the balls to get in my face and tell me Dave "can't sing" I will shear their asses with a dull razor blade. FUCK YOU SHEEP! Not only is Dave singing better on this tour than last year, I heard him hold notes for 10 seconds or more, and yes kids, the scream was there at the end of Running With The Devil, and also on I'm the One. And Little Dreamer? Nothing short of beautiful.

If you could somehow have placed Eddie, Alex, and Mikey on that stage tonight with Dave, I don't see how it could have been improved at all. Let Eddie worry about his fucking trademarks, Dave's got the attitude, the sound, and yes, god damn it, the VOICE of Van Halen.

Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow.., but for now, I'm just too fucking exhausted."

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow high praise. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    (( back up bitch! i missed the order box, move your ass back please , so i can order my food,((well if you would have pulled up to the right place in first place.,. look lady back the fuck up or im gonna cap your ass!! yeah uh ill take a#4 quarter pounder plain with cheese only.!!!! drive thru please !!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1st VH Album
    Favorite VH Song

Boy that\'s a hard one!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From a Longtime Dave and Sam Fan - I'd say the crowd won - But I
    think Dave the Atomic Punks kicked some serious ass!

Sadly I spent way too much time in the beer garden(s) but could always here DLR
    Loud and clear, sam not so much, but i did enjoy the Cabo anticks.

Great Show - I live in Kittitas WA, about 20 miles west of the Gorge, Man!...I
    wish you guys could play here every weekend..I've got a studio and equipment if
    you guys got the time! Let's Rock and Roll!

Got 211 Gorge Photos of the show if anyones interested!

And 50 Gorge Photos from Friday, the day before. Me and a friend obtained some
    exclusive acess to the empty amphitheater, had a lot of fun until security
    booted our happy ass's out!

I'll try and send some shots - THANKYOU FOR KEEPIN THE R&R ALIVE!!!!!!

I saw VH in Seattle in 78/79? they openned for Ozzy, when he was still with
    Black Sabath. You guys may not have lite your drumkit onfire but you were
    SMOKIN'! Damn good show!

Can't wait to catch you again, I'm not workin now so maybe I'll make it to some
    more shows

I tend to agree with the First Reveiw Posted but both were fairly accurate - GREAT SHOW - & I've been to alot of Shows!! DLR and Atomic Punks should do great things!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Ask Dave if he's wantin' to spend some time and Hicks ville and we'll set you
    up! you guys rule!!!!!

Randy, somewhere in "Kitty City" WA

Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

Finish What ya started
    Last Online

07.24.09 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before I post my review....I want to say something...I want to know who ever made it a rule that guitarists had to copy a solo note for note to make it good ? Sam's guitarist gets points from me for NOT trying to copy EVH note for note..he showed some creativity and ad libbed his solos...and he nailed the riffs...what more can you ask ? My own definition of cheese is a so called "tribute guitarist " playing note for note EVH solos. Yeah...so you can learn what other people wrote...so what ? show me what you can do on your own !!!
    Ok , on with my review....
    I must admit, Dave sounded a Hell of a lot better than I expected...I thought he put on a good show...he didnt embarrasse himself like I was afraid he would...He even sounded impressive at times...However, I thought the whole jack off thing with the whiskey bottle was "cheesy " and overdone, and there were several instances where he repeated or misplaced verses in songs, or came in late. I also heard several times when he sang it differently to cover for not being able to sing it like he used to. And compared to what I remember of him from the 80's...he seemed stiff and reluctant to move around much...especially early on...and his jumps off the drum riser were pretty short on distance and weak...overall...I did enjoy the show though...
    As for the band...they were impressive...they hit everything , sounded great...they kicked ass...
    even the vocals were impressive. The guitarist (forgive me for not remembering his name) is obviously very talented...but I find it very annoying that he played every solo note for note..you know...we already know what Ed did...show us what YOU can do...of course...it may be that DLR commanded it to be so, to spite EVH , which would not be surprising....
    I give Daves part of the show a 7 on the 10 scale...
    Ok ...now for Sammy....on this night...Dave was truly an opening act to Sams headline...Sammy was incredible...sprinting around the stage...high fiving fans..playing guitar..never missing a note musically or vocally...His stage show was wholly intertaining..his band was on...never missing a beat...the only complaint I had was the sound mix...it seemed a bit compressed ...especially early on...and it same to be doing some kind of phase thing...but it got better as the show went along...Sam told stories, clowned with the people, on and off the stage...he even showed a bit of knowledge of geography...( this isnt Seattle...its George, Washington) I hope Dave was listening , because he constantly referred to us as Seattle...(for you folks outside of WA, the gorge is about midway between Seattle and Spokane, actually probably a little closer to Spokane) In his pre concert video, and actually a little bit during the show, Sam sounded concilliatory toward the VH's ...you can read what you want into that...
    I give Sam an 11 on the 10 scale...he was off the scale...he kicked everybodies ass...including Dave's...in the end, Dave came off as the singer of a VH tribute band....and Sam came off as the former (and maybe future???) singer of VH , and a very successful solo artist , and a very good showman. Dave was his usual"you are below me" egotistical self, whereas Sam was everybody is a bud, lets party ...
    If you get a chance to see this show on the second leg...do it!! its well worth the money...
    But thats just my opinion....
    Take care all
    keVH

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by FlufferChick:
    I'm posting this review from Ford. He said to say Hi.
    ------------------------------------
    "Unholy fucking shit what an incredible show.

But first, let's get the other guy out of the way

Unfortunately, the recent changes on Sammy's website proved to be true and The Ched Rocker closed the show. However, it appears that Sammy's been reading reviews of this tour. The two things I remember reading a lot in early reviews were how the cheese ballads slowed the momentum and how Sammy's guitarist Vic Johnson was weak on the Eddie material. From where I was sitting, 6th row center (and that "6th row" was more like the second row on one side of the stage) Vic seems to be learning well, though he didn't exactly reproduce the solo for "Poundcake" well, and didn't even bother with the 5150 solo (probably one of the best Eddie wrote in the Van Hagar years).

As predicted, Sammy stuck "Where Eagles Fly" right in the middle of all the decent songs, killing the momentum. I don't dislike this particular song, it just was out of place in that set. Thankfully, he kept the cheese level to a minimum, sticking to the more uptempo Van Hagar stuff, a few of his solo hits, and the Montrose hit "Rock Candy".

I'll say this much for Hagar... this tour has made him a better performer whether he wants to admit it or not (because that would mean crediting Dave). Personally, I think all the blatant tequila advertising and mixing "waboritas" on stage is a bit ridiculous, as was the on stage cheerleaders.

Hagar's encore began with a grungy rendition of "Heavy Metal" which was far heavier than the 1980/81 original. Then he had to ruin a decent ending to his show by saving the CHEESEFEST "Dreams" for the final encore, complete with his chedhead cheerleaders filing out from the bleachers to sing the Velveeta National Anthem with their hero. Sammy seems to have learned a couple things from competing with the master, but this was just a WEAK way to end the show......

And now, to the REAL stars of the evening......

Eddie who??

The sheep will bitch, as they always do, but let me tell you, right now, Van Halen is Dave, Brian, James, and Ray and that's all it needs to be.

As good as the Bumbershoot show last year was, multiply that by at least 5. I thought Bart Walsh did very well then, but Brian Young proved that it could be done far better. And better than Eddie himself in recent years.

(Yeah.. BAAAAAH, Eddie is Jesus, I know Don't want to discredit the Messiah, even if it's true)

Ray - a fucking monster on drums! Alex Van Halen hasn't hit a drum this hard since his second divorce.

And the man himself......?

Any sheep has the balls to get in my face and tell me Dave "can't sing" I will shear their asses with a dull razor blade. FUCK YOU SHEEP! Not only is Dave singing better on this tour than last year, I heard him hold notes for 10 seconds or more, and yes kids, the scream was there at the end of Running With The Devil, and also on I'm the One. And Little Dreamer? Nothing short of beautiful.

If you could somehow have placed Eddie, Alex, and Mikey on that stage tonight with Dave, I don't see how it could have been improved at all. Let Eddie worry about his fucking trademarks, Dave's got the attitude, the sound, and yes, god damn it, the VOICE of Van Halen.

Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow.., but for now, I'm just too fucking exhausted."
    NUTHIN' BUT YEAH!!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]