Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.23.16 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well ladies and gentlemen, what a show! Let me start by saying that the Gorge is one of the best acoustical sound venues to have a rock concert! The place rocked! Diamond Dave was again, at the top of his game. Dave really gave it 110%! He was fully energized and the crowd totally got into the Classic tunes! Brian hit the notes perfectly and rocked hard. The show was purely perfect in every aspect. Dave opened up with "Hot For Teacher" and closed with "Jump". Pretty much the same set list as other shows? Dave was back doing classic Dave one liners and the crowd totally loved it! Even Dave could tell that the night was totally his after the first song was done! My only note of something to change would be to add a couple more Dave Solo tunes to his set? I'd like to see "Baby's On Fire" & "Slam Dunk" added. So....What can I say that has not already been said? Dave still has it! He is the Man! If you do anything this summer, go see "His" portion of the show!

Now for the downer. The Sammy Hagar show was a HUGE let down! After being blown away from Diamond Dave, Sammy just could not get the crowd really into it? Sammy pulls everything out of his ass on this tour to try and be the big show. It's really pathetic? From the 15 minute grudge session on his before show video, to his 90 minute Infomercial for his Tequila, this show was all lights and flash with no substance. Although, it was nice looking at the half naked chicks on Sam's stage, Dave never had to use props to get the crowd going. I did like some of the Classic Montrose songs, but when he did the "Eagles Fly" thing halfway through the show, so many people sat down in their chairs! It was a total show killer and Sammy just did not really recover. I made it about three or four songs more and then started to talk the long walk out of the Gorge to head back to the campground. By the time I got to the top of the grassy area from the seats, Dreams was starting. I looked back and told myself, "Man, if Van Halen wants to really ROCK again, they desperately need Dave! If Van Halen wants to totally fade away and play bubblegum rock, then Sam's your Man!" Sam's show is tired, just like the man. IF he dropped all the bull shit with the Tequila selling, the cheesy Bleacher set-up, the "Trying to copy classic Dave one liners, (the "Reach between my legs and ease the seat back" thing was too much!) & having to rely on having Michael Anthony show up on various shows to keep the crowd going, then he might just fade away gracefully?

All in all, the show is entertaining. It just depends on what you want and like? IF you grew up on Classic Van Halen with Diamond Dave and have ever seen VH Live with him, then this is as close as it's going to get for you. IF your first concert was a Van Hagar show, then you might enjoy it, but without Eddie, Al & Michael, then what's the point in seeing a Van Hagar cover band? My total and honest opinion here, but for "Classic" fans, go see a show where Dave Opens up. Then you will have more time to party and enjoy the evening and you can leave during the Sammy portion. IF you a Sammy fan? Well, that part I can't help you with, but I recommend taking some huge doobies with you to pass the time? If your lucky, the pot will be really good and you wont really care?

On a side note, I did get to meet some cool people at this show! Let me start by saying that "Realrocker" drove all the way up from California to see this show, and he was a totally cool dude! I would definitely drive down to California to see a show with you again dude! We met AnMarie and her friends, they were very cool and very good looking too!! Never did find Todd Plesco? I can't wait until somebody with an audio tape of this show comes out! The Dave show was well worth having on disc alone!

SeaVHfan
    Dave M.
    [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    If you can't do it in a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans under one lightbulb, you can't do it!

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it.
    David Lee Roth...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by SeaVHFan:
    Now for the downer. The Sammy Hagar show was a HUGE let down! After being blown away from Diamond Dave, Sammy just could not get the crowd really into it? Sammy pulls everything out of his ass on this tour to try and be the big show. It's really pathetic? From the 15 minute grudge session on his before show video, to his 90 minute Infomercial for his Tequila, this show was all lights and flash with no substance. Although, it was nice looking at the half naked chicks on Sam's stage, Dave never had to use props to get the crowd going. I did like some of the Classic Montrose songs, but when he did the "Eagles Fly" thing halfway through the show, so many people sat down in their chairs! It was a total show killer and Sammy just did not really recover. I made it about three or four songs more and then started to talk the long walk out of the Gorge to head back to the campground. By the time I got to the top of the grassy area from the seats, Dreams was starting. I looked back and told myself, "Man, if Van Halen wants to really ROCK again, they desperately need Dave! If Van Halen wants to totally fade away and play bubblegum rock, then Sam's your Man!" Sam's show is tired, just like the man. IF he dropped all the bull shit with the Tequila selling, the cheesy Bleacher set-up, the "Trying to copy classic Dave one liners, (the "Reach between my legs and ease the seat back" thing was too much!) & having to rely on having Michael Anthony show up on various shows to keep the crowd going, then he might just fade away gracefully?
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout nah!!!!!! Great review SHO' NUFF!!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 8,998 Times in 3,734 Posts

I found it rather humorous Ford referred to "Runnin' With The Devil," as "Running With The Devil," being the only "real" Van Halen fan out there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Un0chained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Opinions are like assholes....
    everyone has one....some just smell more than
    others.

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have a hard time understanding how anyone who attended this show could say with a straight face that Dave's show was more entertaining than Sammy's.

I was sitting two seats away from FORD the whole time, and I caught him CLAPPING and SINGING ALONG at various points during Sammy's set. What more proof do you need?

[ July 01, 2002, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Guitar Shark ]

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Guitar Shark:
    I have a hard time understanding how anyone who attended this show could say with a straight face that Dave's show was more entertaining than Sammy's.

I was sitting two seats away from FORD the whole time, and I caught him CLAPPING and SINGING ALONG at various points during Sammy's set. What more proof do you need?
    You didn't happen to capture that on film did you???
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

The first 6
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whatta weekend! We pulled into the Gorge on Friday night after 8 hours on the road, and were greeted by heavy winds and rain. Many Miller's later, I awoke amist the sun high in the sky overhead... it was Saturday, Dave and Sam were in town!
    There wasn't any kind of sun block that would stop what the weather and the night's soundtrack would do to my skin... but what a way to go. If you're gonna burn, have the high n' mighty masters do it to ya!
    Dave opened the festivities at around 8 o'clock, with the sun burning off to the left. In tradition of this tour, he was nonstop, over-the-top, in yer face and down yer throat! Just bam, bam, bam! Tune after tune.
    ...and to the all the people who post complaints about how Dave doesn't talk during these shows, you're probably the same fuckoh's who bitched that he used to talked to much! (never satisfied are ya!?)
    This was my 8th time seein' the man, and I thought that he was in stellar form. He even pulled out one of his old shrieks in the middle of Runnin' with the Devil. Gave me f*@kin' goose bumps!
    I had three 19 yr old smokin' hot chicks beside me singin' along during his whole set. It truly was a rock n' roll experience!
    As a fan of the man since '77 (when I was just a little shit), he kicked my ass and reminded me of why I still am. Dave, I love ya!
    This show would be my first time seein' Sammy, and I was curious to what he'd be like. I liked Sammy prior to Halen, but I hafta admit, when he joined the band, I wasn't happy at all. They put out some great songs, there's no doubt about that, and after most of us went, "Huh?" with the Gary Cherone incident, I ended up buying my first Sam Halen album; (turned out to be Balance).
    When I heard about this tour, I was immediately immpressed and excited...
    Sammy went on around 10 o'clock, and opened up with the first Sam tune I had ever heard, 'Red'. I so hoped that Michael Anthony would show up for the show, (dreamers can dream can't they?).
    I gotta say though, Sam rocked the Gorge. Way back when he was first starting out as a solo artist, he was one of KISW's rising star, low-doe shows, so he's played Seattle and surrounding areas a ton of times. His 'Red-heads' were out in full force, that's for sure. I was blown away.
    I also thought it was great that his original drummer and keyboardist from his solo band were still with him.
    After reading negative reviews on Sammy playing 'Where Eagles Fly' (I think that's the title), when he did play it at our show, he dedicated it to John Entwistle, and personally, I thought that it was one of the most powerful moments in his perfomance.
    Overall, Sammy was the Red Rocker kickin' some mean ass for this 'first timer', and Diamond Dave shined like no other, as he's always done.
    I'm 100% satisfied. I came home with a smile on my mind 10 miles wide!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe FORD was yelling at him to stop?
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmmm
    i sens that dave may have won this one, cause the sammy fans seem a little confused, that there are somany dave fans saying good things.
    (( back up bitch! i missed the order box, move your ass back please , so i can order my food,((well if you would have pulled up to the right place in first place.,. look lady back the fuck up or im gonna cap your ass!! yeah uh ill take a#4 quarter pounder plain with cheese only.!!!! drive thru please !!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Guitar Shark:

You didn't happen to capture that on film did you??? </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, I wanna see that too [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] hehehe FORD posted pics, but I doubt he'd give up the camera for that very reason! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

So, what "cheese ballads" did he sing along to? [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Enquiring minds want to know!! [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Last Online

12.20.05 @ 07:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to see them both but was actually a little scared because of some of the reviews that Dave had generated. I had never seen Roth before. My wife has always been a Van Hagar only fan but that all changed on the breaks of the Columbia River Gorge.

Dave started first and used Hot for Teacher to warm up on. He sounded a bit rusty at first but Damn, he just kept getting better and better. Before you could get your breath he was just kicking your ass, nailing everything. We were both shocked and amazed and totally in awe. I had heard the mp3s of some other concert that hain (I think) did and was not impressed but, on this night, Dave brought it all. The only trouble he had was hitting some of the trademark screams. A couple times he sounded like he was getting booted in the yarbs. But, for the most part, he was on.
    Hagar sounded good too he never had any trouble getting the crowd going. A huge Karaoke club or something surrounded me because I could hardly hear Sammy at all, even during Eagles fly.
    Sammy needs to lose the tequila commercial and the cheer leading section. That stuff is getting very tiresome to me. He really is very good considering his age but he doesnt need to use a circus act to entertain. JMO
    On the way out I asked some people who they thought won. They said Sammy did. One guy saw Dave at Bumbershoot in Seattle and said he was horrible. He must be holding a grudge because the Dave I saw was far from horrible. I am so fucking glad I got to see this show!!!

Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.01.10 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    You didn't happen to capture that on film did you???
    Nah, I wish... but I do have a witness, which is almost as good.

It was cool to see FORD again. For anyone who cares, this is where we were sitting:

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0LwAAANoPombnTy!cdsvMHCvUW*o0nh9M3Lht1d3S9iA*Ln6Pb RjUFXOcqwOZwmEDb94xwmgkqmg/GSFORD1.jpg[/img]

Bet you didn't even know we were in your pic, eh 5150subaru?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 04:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

All guys??!

Yeesh...

[img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Last Online

06.15.13 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Does anybody have any pictures of the Gorge show they could either send me or post? I was at that show (which was absolutly incredible! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] ) and I'm trying to gather as many pictures as I can!

Thanks!
    FulMnte
    durward@imine.net
    I like my coffee like I like my women, filled with booze.

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

FORD posted about 20 pics from Dave's show here: http://www.dlrarmy.com/cgi-bin/i5/im...n_29_George_WA. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman