Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

...And The Cradle Will Rock
    Last Online

02.10.06 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to see Sam and Dave Saturday night! I was bummed about having no money, maybe not being able to go, and a friend says "Hey I got free tickets and can't go. Do you want them?" "Hell yeah!" I will be reporting back, you can be sure....By the way I saw VH with DLR seven times, Hagar 4 or 5 times, Roth solo twice, and Van Hagar 3 times, so I can definitely compare and contrast! So far my favorite was my first concert ever: Fair Warning tour in Dallas. What a rocker!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:00 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member
    I'll be there. Flew in from the left coast yesterday. Dave closes, should be wild. I saw Dave with VH 3 times. Dave solo 4 times. I was at college during the Fair Warning tour but caught them in one of their last U.S. shows together on the 84 tour. I remember they sold out Reunion Arena twice then added a third show and sold that one out too. The only act to have done that was ZZ Top on their Eliminator tour. I saw Sam twice in his pre-VH days and am a big fan of that music, not exactly a huge fan of the Van Hagar stuff outside of 5150 and a couple other tunes. I wish he'd add "This Planet's on Fire" to his set but there's not much chance of that.

As for tomorrow night, am going with some High School buds and as my hero Homer Simpson said (or was it Al Bundy?) I'm going to drink alot of Beer and stay out all night! Let's Rock!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be going as well. I have seen Sammy in his solo days before VH. Plenty of times with VH. And I saw Dave once with VH in 1984 and was by far the best show I have ever seen. I will never forget the lights going down. Pitch black in the arena. Then Eddie starts Unchained and when the drums kick in the lights come on and Dave comes flying off the drum rafter doing the splits. Pure greatness! I am a bigger fan of the DLR era of VH but like both. Even saw the VHIII live. Only thing great about it was all the DLR era songs. Anyway I will be recording as long as I get the recorder in. I have never had a problem at Smirnoff before but who knows post 9/11.

Proof I saw them:

http://home.attbi.com/~mick-medders/ticket.htm

Can't wait for Dave. Saw hime live in 1999 opening for Bad Company and recorded it. He was great then and I think he will be even better now after the reviews I have read. Wishing I could drink beer but want to come out with a good recording. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Originally posted by BuzinBad:

Wishing I could drink beer but want to come out with a good recording. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Pace yourself, it helps the local economy.

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is Dave Closing? With the San Antonio show cancelled, I thought Sam would be (as far as alternating is concerned, anyway).

Either way, it will rock!
    What is understood, need not be discussed

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

Premium Member
    Sam's site, Redrocker.com, has who's closing each show. Sam did a back to back deal in Mo. which threw off the alternating. But Dave is listed to close in Dallas.

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I saw that, but just wondering if that was still correct. Looking forward to it either way. Should be cool. I'm pumped!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    What is understood, need not be discussed

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH II (at the moment)
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky (at the moment)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gosh I wish I could see the Dallas show! I have this killer MP3 of VH in Dallas in 1984 and Roth intros Panama like Train conductor annoucing a train from Dallas, TX toooooo.......PANAMAAAA!!!
    Its so cool. Too bad I was in 5th Grade when that happened. I missed all the good stuff! Thank god I will be seeing the show in LA!
    Roth: I've always been academic. I've trained in martial arts since my 12th birthday. I like contact sports, history books and the fine art of ridicule and sarcasm. I can gang-sign the alphabet and I own a Mercury low-rider. I am a black man trapped in a Jewish body.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

...And The Cradle Will Rock
    Last Online

02.10.06 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right on! It's gonna be a big party. You guys mentioned the 1984 3 night stand at Reunion. I saw all three of those. It was badass!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Saw the show in St. Louis on June 7th. Here are some things to look for to make your show more enjoyable. If you have seats up close, make a banner and throw it on stage during Sammy's set. He holds up every one that is thrown on stage. He also wears the local sports team's jersey if someone hands him one. If you bring one for him, he'll wear it and autograph it for you as well. Same goes for hats. If you are right up front and have anything you want signed (t-shirt, program, etc.) bring a "Sharpie" pen and if you grab his attention, he will probably sign it for you. Mona the Bass player has a big Woody Woodpecker tatoo on her left arm. If you are sitting on her side of the stage, bring her a stuffed one, if you can find one. I'm sure she'd appreciate it. On the latest Sammy and the Waboritas DVD (taped in Chicago), Sammy makes the comment "Man it smells good in here. I didn't know that stuff was legal in Chicago." Then someone throws a joint at him. He picks it up and says, "I don't smoke this shit, but I know how." Then someone passes a lit joint to Mona, who then hands it to Sammy. Sammy says "Fuck it, one hit." He takes a toke and then hands it to the crowd he's assembled on stage. Anyone up front might want to try to see if he'll do it again. Just shows you how cool Sammy really is. Not a whole lot to do as far as Dave is concerned. Pay attention to Dave's gymnastics. See if he does as many kicks as he's known for doing. In St. Louis he didn't complete the mid-air toe touching split he's known for doing. It was half hearted. During "Jump" (encore) he does his rapid fire baton twirling routine. Very cool! That's about it for Dave. He's just fun to watch in general. In St. Louis, Dave opened and Sammy closed. It should be interesting to see Dave's show complete with the lights and in total darkness (night time). I don't think either guy likes to open, with the sun still up and not everyone there yet. Sammy will be a killer opening act though. What a way to get the party started. During Sammy's set he states "This is the best rock and roll tour of the summer." He is right on. Get fired up! It's an awesome show. Have fun.
    "The truth hurts."

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by BuzinBad:
    I will be going as well. I have seen Sammy in his solo days before VH. Plenty of times with VH. And I saw Dave once with VH in 1984 and was by far the best show I have ever seen. I will never forget the lights going down. Pitch black in the arena. Then Eddie starts Unchained and when the drums kick in the lights come on and Dave comes flying off the drum rafter doing the splits. Pure greatness! I am a bigger fan of the DLR era of VH but like both. Even saw the VHIII live. Only thing great about it was all the DLR era songs. Anyway I will be recording as long as I get the recorder in. I have never had a problem at Smirnoff before but who knows post 9/11.

Proof I saw them:

http://home.attbi.com/~mick-medders/ticket.htm

Can't wait for Dave. Saw hime live in 1999 opening for Bad Company and recorded it. He was great then and I think he will be even better now after the reviews I have read. Wishing I could drink beer but want to come out with a good recording. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    Dude, that VH concert description gave me chills! Enjoy this one and give us a big, descriptive review!

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

09.23.12 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm gonna be heading out to the Dallas show in a little while. I'll give a report of both it and the St Louis shows when I get back next week.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

Premium Member
    "Let's take this train to Panama!" - David Lee Roth

Elwood - We're 106 miles from Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake - "Hit it."

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well since there's no dedicated thread for reviews of the Dallas show (yet), let me just say for now that the show was AWESOME.

[ June 16, 2002, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: FalconDriver ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok well screw it. I'm gonna post this here until we get a dedicated review thread for the Dallas show, 06-15-02.

Let me say first of all that I've never seen Sammy or Dave live by themselves. I have seen Van Halen with Dave three times, Fair Warning Tour, Diver Down Tour, and 1984 Tour. I have seen Sammy only once with Van Halen on the F.U.C.K. Tour.

I am first and foremost a Dave era Van Halen fan. Van Hagar was incredible. Van Halen was godlike.

I was REALLY excited to see this show. It had been over 10 years since I saw ANY live concert. Last one was F.U.C.K. Tour. I had great seats. 20 rows back, just left of center. I was numb with anticipation of the start of this show. Sammy's set was hidden behind a large curtain. Then at precisely 8:02 pm the curtain opened and Sammy exploded with Red. It was incredible. Sammy's sound was great. I was SO impressed with Sammy solo. I wasn't really there to see Sammy. I was there for Dave. But Sammy just impressed the hell out of me. Dave had one tough act to follow. Sammy's set was flawless with the exception of his microphone dying on him once, Vic's guitar transmitter going belly up once, and during one song there was a horrendous sound/feedback problem but they fixed it quick. Other than that it was perfect. Sammy's voice was GOLD. Vic didn't play the Van Hagar tunes as true to the originals as I would have like to have heard but hey, he was great anyway and playing Eddie's stuff is no cakewalk. I agree with many others who have seen this show before that Sammy should ditch Eagles Fly and Give To Live. Man the crowd was just about to go into a frenzy when all of a sudden he slammed on the brakes with Give To Live. He made up for it a bit though I thought by adding Rock Candy. THAT was killer.

Dave's set up was vanilla ice cream compared to Sammy's. Sammy had the props. Dave was definitely "no frills". Very plain stage set up. Nothing fancy at all. No big intro either they all just came out and started playing. What a way to make a first impression though.......Hot For Teacher : )

Dave's sound was a bit "muddy" compared to Sammy but was still real good that would be my only "technical" complaint about Dave's set. Other than that I was FREAKING out listening to Van Halen being played live again. As each song progressed I was getting emotionally worked up higher and higher. When Dave kicked into I'm The One, I nearly shit my pants. I hadn't had an emotional high at a concert like that since I saw Van Halen back in 1984. Just as the song started smoking it all crashed down. Some FUCKING IDIOT threw a beer and from my perspective it looked like it just nailed Dave. Got him in the face pretty good I think. Dave stopped the music immediately and called the idiot an "asshole" and made a comment about his girlfriend back stage. Then told the band to take it from the top again. This happens just after I had commented to my friends during the intermission about how all of us fans have aged and that the crowd was more "mature" than what I remembered from past concert experiences. Oh well. They pressed on with that incomparable set of classic Van Halen tunes and just blew the place away anyway.

Dave was great. It was pretty obvious however that at 47 years of age, he was rationing his energy just for the act of singing but he did sing his ass off. He was a LOT less active on stage (understandably so) than his prime Van Halen years though. I wish he had interacted with the audience a bit more. This is his forte and he should use it.

Brian Young only took a back seat to Sammy and Dave themselves this evening. This man can play that fucking guitar and was the king musician "star of the show" for sure. What a monster guitar player. He nailed Eddie's shit all night and was just spectacular. Simply a jaw dropping performance from him. Dave gave him and his band well deserved props during the show. One hell of a tight band.

Was it worth the $53 for my ticket? HELL YES ! In fact the show was so damned good that I'm sending Sammy and Dave an additional $50 tip in the mail : )

If these guys come near you, DON'T MISS IT.