Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

If you went to the June 27th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.12.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I just walked in the door and thought I'd write some of my thoughts on tonights show.

There were not very many people at the show,Selland was probably not even half full,that disapointed me,I can remember vividly the place being packed to the rafters for Van Halen,and Van Hagar just a few years ago.Made me wonder what it would have been like had this been a reunion show with either singer.Anyway it just made me sick to see all those empty seats.

The show itself was pretty fucking cool for what it was.Sammy opened and man was He loud,my pants were vibrating.I thought his guitarist was pretty good,of course he's not Eddie but thats not his fault, he did really good imo.Sammy really got the crowd going with them waitresses,good god.They were standing stage left all night and I found it very difficult to watch Sam too much at all,what with them dancing and gyrating and whatnot.I did manage to peel my eyes off them when Mikey came runnin out from backstage to jam,that was ultra cool.Mikey's so cool he just wants to play,he don't care who with,wish we could put that attitude into Edward and Alex then we'd be in business jack.Any way I really enjoyed Sammy's set,more so when Mike would take that other dude's place.Sammy got the biggest crowd reaction with the Van Halen songs,ya know he's a really good songwriter.I'd forgotten about some of the songs of his I really like,runaround,5150,poundcake,gonna have to pick up those cd's again.

Dave was I guess Dave.He's kinda different now from when I last saw him live.Course that was almost 20 yrs ago whew!But he's more Vegas to me,just kinda strollin around the stage real slow not much dancing not too muchhip grinding actually none at all,cept for that Jack off deal with the Jack.What can I say the man is certainly enamored of himself,he's a crack up he kept watching himself on the video screen.But I loved it just the same I really appreciated the effort he put into doing those old songs justice.I could tell he was really trying hard to sing them note for note,course he couldnt remember all the words or theyre exact order in the song but it was cool nonetheless.He actually sounded damned decent for the most part,sometimes he sounded damned good.He actually was hittin a lot of those old high screams(I think he overdoes it a bit with those).I had a damned good time singing along to all those great songs,and on more than one occasion tonight Dave managed to take me back in time when life was simple and Van Halen ruled the world.

Winners and losers?The crowd seemed to favor Sam,But I went to see Dave and he wins too imo.His guitar player is a shredder, Damn that guy can play.I give it to Dave on pure content and effort,he had to try harder than Sam at singing and his songs are just much stronger.Mikey wins,he got to do what he loves doin.Losers?Yeah I know ,me too.

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

QUOTE: "Any way I really enjoyed Sammy's set,more so when Mike would take that other dude's place"

LMAO!

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's safe to say that Fresno is a Sammy Hagar town, more or less...
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Favorite VH Album

Can't Decide
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To Choose From
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome show! Did the road trip from Santa Cruz and got a room at the Radison next door where we did the requisite saucing before the show. The lobby was packed with fans enjoying the tequila bars and festivities set up below. This was my 1st time at Selland and grabbing a room at the Radison is definitely the way to go. On to the show...

Sammy opened because of what he called "technical difficulties"; obviously he expected to close but he gave a solid effort and seemed to enjoy himself on stage. His voice was in great shape and kept good repore with the audience which was 60% Sammy. There was enough 40+ fans wearing their "Tommy Bahamas/Cabo Wabo" shirts that I was like shit, I'm at a fucking Jimmy Buffet show!

The Waboritas were on the money. Victor did a fair job of copying EVH - but Eddie he is not. The crowd went nuts when MA jumped on stage to handle the bass chores during the Van Halen tunes. It was great to see MA and you could tell how stoked he was to be back on stage. The cat just loves to jam! At one point, Sammy asked MA if he drove up from L.A. (like this was an impromptu jam) and made the comment that MA was "like a puppy dog following us (the Waboritas) around." MA got much love from Sammy and the Waboritas after the show. MA brings a good energy to everyone on stage. Other than some of the cheesy vids on the big screen during some of the songs (like the "flying thru space" screensaver theme on Right Now) it was really an excellent show. Typical Sammy gig.

The DLR band came out with their typical no bullshit, in your face entrance. And let me tell 'ya - these cat's were open for business, baby! The band was tight and they had all the moves. No flaws technically from what I could see. Ray Luzier was amazing! Brian Young was as close to duplicating EVH as you can get. My sister-in-law didn't recognize James Lomenzo, who was sporting a beard, on bass - she was like, is that Kip Winger? Hah! I think the crowd was expecting a little more excitement from DLR. He could have done a better job getting the crowd into the groove. He seemed a bit fatigued. I got the impression his stage presence was more of a pompous lounge-singer than a rocker. DLR's vocal mix was a bit muffled and we had a hard time understanding wtf he was saying half the time especially with the ear deafening sound. I was suprised how well the vids on the big screen worked out choreographed to the set list. They looked cheesy on the www.davidleeroth.com site with the shitty cover music. DLR seems to have lost a step with age, but all things considered - at the end of the tour and all, still a great performance.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AFU - Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

07.04.09 @ 09:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Stosh:

Sammy opened because of what he called "technical difficulties"; obviously he expected to close but he gave a solid effort and seemed to enjoy himself on stage.
    Funny you mentioned this, because i was just reading the set list for this show over at Sammy's website and it mentioned the "technical difficulties". Granted it's Sammy's website, but still. Makes me wonder if this show is gonna make it to my town. They already had to cancel two shows(for whatever reason). Notice the time gap between when Hagar's set ended, and Dave's started. What did everyone do for 45 minutes? Just curious. Anyway, i'll paste it here to read:

Setlist
    Selland Arena
    Fresno CA
    June 27 2002
    setlist by mike barnes

Sammy was SUPPOSED to be the "Headliner" for tonite's show, but according to "rumor" (possibly substantiated by Sammy himself) D.L.R. was a "no-show" for his opening time slot. So Sammy "opened" tonite's show...
    Sammy's Setlist

(7:55 PM)

Red
    Runaround
    Three Lock Box
    There's Only One Way To Rock
    Right Now
    Top Of The World (Michael Anthony on Bass)
    5150 (Michael Anthony on Bass)
    Poundcake (Michael Anthony on Bass)
    Why Can't This Be Love (Michael Anthony on Bass)
    Finish What You Started (Michael Anthony on Bass)
    Eagles Fly (Dedicated to John Entwistle - The Who - Bassist)
    Rock Candy
    I Can't Drive 55
    Mas Tequilia
    ****** ENCORE *****
    Heavy Metal
    Dream (Michael Anthony on Bass)

(9:20 PM)

David Lee Roth's Setlist

(10:05 PM)

Hot For Teacher
    Panama
    And The Cradle Will Rock
    Mean Street
    Dance The Night Away (The Intro Was FUCKED-UP - Started with "piped-in" beginning of "Eruption" - Then Stopped...)
    Running With The Devil
    I'm The One
    Eruption
    You Really Got Me
    Beautiful Girls
    So This Is Love
    Atomic Punk
    (Oh) Pretty Woman
    D.O.A.
    Yankee Rose
    Ice Cream Man (D.L.R. Accoustic Guitar Intro - Who Knew He Could Play An Instrument??)
    Everybody Wants Some
    Unchained
    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    ***** ENCORE *****
    Jump

(11:15 PM)

Note: By (about) D.L.R.'s fifth or sixth song, many concert goers were heading for the door... Those that remained, most were SITTING for the remainder of the show... (Versus: EVERYONE was "STANDING / PARTYING" for Sammy's ENTIRE set!!!)
    The 'Foot has landed.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:25 AM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

i know this is a review thread...

but that's 2 reviews now where i've read people leaving during dave's set..wow! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img]

now he's not showing on time? doesn't surprise me in the least. that's dave for ya

now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
    JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

listen to D.O.A bootleg at the army from the dallas show,,,,anyone leaving early from dave show-and the boots prove he sounds great-must be headed towards a car stereo thats containing nsync or vh 3.
    If you dont like classic stay home-hahahaha.
    Maybe dave should apologize for crankin out classic vh and sounded so damn good.
    Alteast the recordings are getting out there so the real fans can read these negative comments and laugh.
    like i said,If you dont like classic vh then stay home and watch the disney channel-haha.lighten up and enjoy people.
    dave is ruling this tour.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

mean streets
    Favorite VH Song

hang em high
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey hey and i am kwas from reno who drove to fresno to catch the show and all i can say is fun fun fun i don't know what the other people r taking about when they say sam was to close if u look at the other dates and know that they r trading each other night then u know that dave was to close not sammy i don't know guys it'r really not that difficult to figure out anyways i went to the pre party at the hotel across the street and unfortuntly the dj's were only playing sammy's stuff but i asked why doesn't mike jam w/ dave and he told me that they don't like each other well if dave and mike can't get along and party on stage of this tour who thinks ed and al will join him? well i was wearing a david lee roth skyscraper tour t shirt but i was there for both of them and i thought sam rocked he was having fun and so was everybody else mike was fantastic and according to the dj again he told me that this was to be mikes last show on this tour sam did mention that there is only 2 more dates left but on the vh news desk site it says they r only have way though w/ the last concert date in vegas on sept. 7th anybody got the right info? cause i will definitly be in vegas also if anybody has a problem w/ the way sam does his show about the fans on stage and the tequila and the girls and mike and the rest give me a fucking break thats sam and it's his show and he's having fun and i thought it was all alright i mean he can do what the fuck he wants to do he's the rocker not us sam brought alot of fun and smiles on my face
    kwas

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

mean streets
    Favorite VH Song

hang em high
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and now for dave he was great also i don't know maybe the guy who said about the people leaving and sitting down for dave is pro sammy but when dave's set was over there were just as many people as at sammys maybe he was just drunk sammy said about 5000 sure dave did'nt jump around like his monkey self but i was just happy to see him and hear those great songs dave's band is tight but every band of dave's has been tight i didn't see anybody leave but i did see a few people sit down for awhile i think two headliners is just a bit too long for people today but nobody left and everybody clapped and cheered when dave ended each song smiles were on everybody's faces every time i turned around who won? i did we did rock and roll did
    kwas

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[quote]Originally posted by Balanced Rock:
    [qb]

Note: By (about) D.L.R.'s fifth or sixth song, many concert goers were heading for the door... Those that remained, most were SITTING for the remainder of the show... (Versus: EVERYONE was "STANDING / PARTYING" for Sammy's ENTIRE set!!!)
    Yaaaa right, next thing you are going to say is that Balance Rocked, wait..even you probably are not that crazy. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

I spoke with a friend who attended this show, just wanted to add my 2 cents. He was very impressed with Sam and thought that he did well for what he had to work with (His band..). As for Dave, I asked him about people leaving and sitting down, he said if it happened he didn't see it. His comment was that when Dave came on the crowd went nuts...

[ June 29, 2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: DLR=VH ]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are some good songs on balance!! Seventh Seal, Don't tell me, After Shock, Amsterdamn, and feelin'.... [img]smile.gif[/img] And apparently it rocked, if it went to number 1..

I apologize about this post, cause i didn't attend the show.. Won't happen again

[ June 29, 2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: mattjw01 ]
    "And my loves got no rain check baby!"-DLR

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

WACF and FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to list!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dutchman here and this is the deal....I was at this show and it was a fantastic show, but it could of been better! Only 5,000 people. Maybe holds 10,000 people. Watch the "Right Here, Right Now..." video, recorded in FRESNO...not the same, but as you can see in the video, FRESNO can rock... so when half way through ROTH'S set people start to leave, then either they got a long drive or Dave's set was forced. I've followed all show's that "Sam and Dave" have done so far and this show proved that in VAN HALEN MATHMATIC'S...one post Van Halen singer (-1VHS), plus current Van Halen member (1VHM), still gives this Fresno crowd a better hard-on than the post Van Halen singer (-1VHS), plus a copycat Atomic Punk guitar player (-1APGP=VHGP) any given day! So as I bullshit my way though this problem... Sam and Mike better wake ED and Al up and tell them that Howdy Doody mountain just St. Helen's on them and they better start to take the proper clean up step's!!! The Dutchman need's to get the RED out...if you know what i mean! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    <b>DUTCHMAN'S ERUPTION!!!</b>