Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.19.08 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well... I went to the 6/22 show in Devore. And yes, I am brand new to the board, and no, I'm not trying to put down anyone's favorite singer, I'm just reporting what I saw. If it matters, I had fantastic seats about 5 rows back from the stage and could see and hear everything very well.

As a bit of background, I am a HUGE fan of Roth-era Van Halen and saw that band ~ 20 times from 1979-1984. I am not much of a fan of Van Halen with Sammy, although I continued to go to see the band live with him to enjoy Edward. It was ok, but always made me realize how great the band was with Roth.

That said, if you had never seen VH from ~1979-1982, and went to see Dave on this tour, you would have no clue what classic Van Halen is all about and why it was so great. His voice is shot, he barely interacts with the crowd, barely moves about the stage, and basically looks like he isn't having a bit of fun. Kinda reminded me of seeing Tyson get clobbered by Lewis; he is just a shadow of what he was. It was fun hearing the old songs played by a very competent cover band, but that is all it is. In fact, I now would prefer the Atomic Punks singer to Dave. At least he can actually sing the songs. As far as Brian Young (Dave's guitar player on this tour) goes, the guy is the best Eddie imitator I've ever heard, but that's all there is to it. What I mean is, if you saw early VH, Ed barely played any of the songs like the records. He might start/end a solo the same way, but what came in between was just brilliant improvision. Brian plays the songs exactly like the record, BIG difference. One is a genius prodigy, the other has a great ear and tremendous dexterity, but no originality at all. (Hey, the guy may be tremedously original in his own material and I'd love to see that. I recognize that this gig requires him to do what he is doing. I'm just saying he brings nothing original to this gig.) I actually preferred Victor (Sammy's guitar player) on the VH stuff he does because he plays it HIS way, in his own style, barely hinting at what Ed originally did.

Sammy's show, on ther other hand, was very entertaining. The guy still sings great, he's a competent guitar player, he interacts with the audience and appear to be enjoying himself. He just doesn't seem any different in his performance, while Dave is shot. It is not ground breaking genius like roth-era VH, but its fun, inocuous and the band sounds good.

In all fairness, the Sammy-era VH songs and performance style are much more suited to the age of both singers. Dave's previous performance style (which also included very little singing after say, 1981), was extremely physically demanding and it is understandable that at 48 he can't re-create it. Seeing a 48 year old man warbling, "Nobody rules these streets at night but me!", just doesn't make it. The Roth-era VH stuff just appears to be a young man's game to me. The benign pop of the Sammy-era seems to hold up better as the guys age...

Believe me, I'd love to be reporting something different, since to me the true genius of VH ended before 1984 (actually most of the best stuff was really written before they even got signed), but I enjoyed Sammy's set much more than Dave's. Personally, this show really crushed my interest in a Dave/VH reunion.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is...

Steve

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

06.20.17 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 289 Posts

steve,

it's true man. u said it best. if one was going to judge by the condition dave is in now, ed would never go on the road with him, never. i mean i think dave could still front the band, but it ain't gonna be like it used to be. and if there's gonna be such a drastic difference between what a reunion would be now and what is used to be like, what's the point?

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

05.11.17 @ 06:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post Steve, and welcome.

There was not one point in your post that I can argue with. I think that you were right on about DLR and his current state, Brian and his talent, and the show in general.

I would, however, still recommend the show.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 1,116 Times in 620 Posts

Premium Member
    Steve, agreed 100%

It's a question of attitude. I saw Dave, but I kept looking for the Diamond and saw none...
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

06.09.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

Donor

Maybe Dave had an off night?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Are YOU READY?????? IS YOU IZ OR IZ YOU AIN'T MY BAYBAY????

Where have all...where are all tha cool fans of the mighty, mighty Diamond David Lee Roth in Southern California one time yez yez yez y'all!!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Lawd Lawd Lawd...Wella wella wella...sho nuff Ize do...ROTH IS THE KING OF ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Muddahfuuckin' Sammy site...canyadiggit...Oooh well well...oooh well well...aw reep-a...sock it to me one time...hey bartender...one bourbon one scotch one beeeeeeeeer...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As far as the lyrics thing, I have to disagree. Dave's lyrics are timeless and designed not unlike postmodern author Italo Calvino - they are designed to be "alive" and malable to the listener/times/etc. The lyrics are vague and mysterious. Dave has always been acused of writing songs about sex and cars, but name a song where he actually, explicitly talks about it in any way. With the exception of MAYBE Drop Dead Legs you can't - because that's not what his lyrics are about. His Van Halen lyrics are describing real primitive stuff - emotion/tone/feeling - vague stuff that transcends time and age.

Atomic Punk isn't about being a 21 year old hoodlum as much as it is about "ego". And heck, if you're talking age, the people with the biggest egos are usually older folks.

Simply put, Dave's lyrics, whether they are his in-the moment / primitive emotion/feeling/tone/meant to transcend language and culture of his Van Halen days, or his often perplexing philosophical solo lyrics, are more relavant now than ever.
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Basically, with Eddie Van Halen and Dave, from everything I've read, one of the big problems is a HUGE education gap. Eddie's a fantastic guitar player, but he probably will never be able to see the HUGE, Italian-plate-of-spaghetti-like HEAPS of irony in the lyrics on the two Best-of tracks (Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff No More). In a way it's a shame. Because Dave knows how to get the best out of Eddie in his guitar playing, and I think that it's evident (see Crazy From the Heat Where Dave makes fun of Eddie trying to understand his lyrics...) that in irritating Dave, Eddie brings about some dyabolical lyric writing and vocal performances in Dave.
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.19.08 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Marion Barry,

Dude, thanks for the literary analysis of the genius of Dave's lyrics, but you missed my point. I never questioned the magic or timelessness of Dave's lyrics. I questioned HIS ability at age 48, to deliver them in a convincing manner. Maybe some other 48 year old could pull it off, but I kinda doubt it...

Steve

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this is a tour review forum, but what I was getting at was basically that I don't see any problem with Dave singing his lyrics at his age. I've seen the dude perform them great the last 3 years. If his lyrics said, "Hey baby I want to grease you up and slide my love shaft into your cherry pie, yow!" then yeah, Dave would be too old. But when you actually think about it for half a sec, almost NONE of Dave's lyrics are anything like that!

Dave's lyrics are a lot more playful and malable then trite stuff like that because his lyrics are, when you actually think about them, more about his spirit and attitude than anything else.

And as far as the Atomic Punk reference, well, I see it as the exact opposite! "I am a victim of the science age, child of the storm"-that lingo is saying child of the 50's baby! If a 22 year old was singing that, it would be phony. In my book, you'd HAVE to be 48 years old to be singing that. I can't wait for the show.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmm...so in a way, what I'm saying is...Dave's lyrics are timeless as far as being good lyrics - but they have personality and such-so you can tell what era they came from by the lingo and so on. Whew...had to wiggle my way out of that hornet's nest of a point.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

03.08.12 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember that show. I was all ready to see Diamond Dave blow Sammy off the stage. But it didn't work out that way. Dave was in good shape but his outfit was goofy looking. Looked like he dyed one of Elvis old outfits and cut the sleeves and collar off. And his hair? Yikes. His band tried too hard to sound like VH. Not any life improvisation.
    Sammy was alright.Not a big Van Hagar fan but like Sammy's solo stuff. His band was much looser and he took advantage of the sound system being obviously tweeked to suit the headliner.
    Really suprised after that and the documentary of the show showing how strange Dave and the people he hangs with are that that wasn't the end for Dave.
    But now he's back and everybody (other than Sammy fans) love him.

Last Online

05.01.12 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See people... he seached before posting, found the right place to comment. Bravo!
    Yes