Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

http://www.eddietrunk.com/columns/trunk.php

MY ROTH/HAGAR REVIEW FROM PNC NJ SHOW:
    I have always been a big Hagar fan. Ever since Montrose. I was also one of the few that was thrilled when Sammy took over for Roth in VH, since I knew he was a MUCH better singer and the band could do so much more. I was never a big Roth era VH fan during live shows. Don't get me wrong, the records Roth did with VH are some of the greatest rock albums of all time, but back in the 70's and early 80's, I was turned off by his over the top rock star crap on stage. I hated when Roth would stand there on stage for like 10 minutes and just let the crowd clap, I paid to hear him sing, something back then he didn't even try to do!
    Well I am here to say I have done a complete turn around. Roth opened this show and was way better then I could have ever imagined. The guy is in incredible shape (sure his hair is a bit less, but who's isn't), and came out with a streamlined attack of excatly what the crowd wanted. Just a video screen, a wall of amps, and a great band that played VH note for note (sound mix a bit off, but it still kicked). The band included James Lomenzo on bass, who some might remember from White Lion. James is a good friend, who was nice enough to leave me some great tickets and passes. He, as well as the bands guitarist and drummer sing well, and Roth was singing better then I have EVER seen him. Now again, keep that in perspective. I am not saying he is anywhere near the singer Hagar is, but with the toned down stage antics he was still Diamond Dave, and he seemed to be trying harder to sing well and remember lyrics. He actually got better as the show went on! All I could think of was "Eddie VH blew it, this guy can still do a great show and is better now!". With the exception of "Yankee Rose", Roth did nothing but VH tunes. Tons of them, with no BS and no extended solos. All the hits, and incredible album cuts like DOA and Atomic Punk. I was blown away and totally convinced he could step back into VH tomorrow and be better then he was in the 80's. He is really working at it now, but again, still with the charisma of classic DLR. He gave the people exactly what they wanted. I am still in shock.

As I mentioned, I have always been in awe of Hagar's voice and thought he had a great regular guy connection to his fans. He may have taken it a bit to far. Sammy can still sing incredibly, and has lost nothing on his voice, but he is becoming the hard rock Jimmy Buffet. The whole Tequilla/party vibe has run it's course for me. Sure the band sounded good, but where Roth slammed the entire time, Sammy tried to do to much. From acoustic, to long stories, to party host and bartender. Sammy also is taking a much different approach to this tour. Where Roth is playing the nostalgia factor, Hagar is doing the same show he's done the past five years, mixing in songs from all his projects. In reality, VH is only a small part of his show. I also found it very corny that he had bleachers on stage with fans (I assume radio contest winners) dancing during his entire set. Reminded me of that old 70's kids show Wonderama. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a Hagar fan, but I wish he would tone down the whole bartender act, and get back to fronting a tight, streamlined kick ass band. He also spent a lot of time talking about Eddie Van Halen, almost as if to make an open plea to get back in the band.

I found both bands to be entertaining, but thought Roth (who opened) had the better approach and played more classic material. Listening to both artists, one thing was obvious; Van Halen remains one of the greatest rock bands to ever come out of the US, and it's a shame neither of these guys is with them! Thanks to all I saw at the show who were wearing FNR/SNR shirts! Great hanging with so many listeners!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

wow!

Eddie Trunk came up long enough from blowing Ace Frehley's cock to go see a concert AND write a review???!! ]

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] great review

but Cock, you might get in trouble for posting a review from another website
    Eat Us and Smile!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by hain23x:
    wow!

Eddie Trunk came up long enough from blowing Ace Frehley's cock to go see a concert AND write a review???!! ]

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] great review

but Cock, you might get in trouble for posting a review from another website
    Now now hain, as long as it is not in the Review thread of a specific show, I think it's kool...I guess???? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 22, 2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bump!!!

Remember kids, Eddie Trunk is a self admitted Sammy Hagar fan. So I would think this review is a truthfull and honest reflection, and unbiased review from a Hagar fan.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.07 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, Eddie Trunk has never come across as the most intelligent radio personality on Earth. But at least he could give a good, honest review. Yes, I'm biased because I think Dave is better.

Of course, it'll fall on deaf ears. At this point, Dave returning would surprise me. And if Sam indeed returns, then I'll be plenty mad and ready to give the band up.
    "I had a girl beating on my hotel door all night...She was screaming, crying. Finally, I said, 'What the hell'...and I let her out!"- DLR

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Thanks for sharing that review !!

A well written review. Roth is performing better than he has in a long time. IMO. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

What the fuck is an Eddie Trunk?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I don't know if Trunk is his real last name. I met him a few years back when I worked at Q104.3 and he was still at a Jersey station.

Eddie is a really cool rock and roll guy. I was sitting a few rows behind him at this show. His review is pretty accurate.
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Ah more New Yorker stuff. Damn you bastards really believe the world revolves around you guys, don't you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Eddie Trunk put in a few appearances on the old Headbangers' Ball, no?
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Brett:
    Ah more New Yorker stuff. Damn you bastards really believe the world revolves around you guys, don't you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    What? You mean it doesnt? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, I'm the One, Dreams
    Last Online

02.14.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Brett:
    Why, of course it does! Don't get dizzy! LOL
    -VanEdge
    1992 EBMM EVH (Translucent Red)
    1993 EBMM EVH (Translucent Yellow)
    1999 Peavey Wolfgang (Translucent Purple)
    2005 EVH Art Series Charvel (Red/White/Black Stripe)
    2009 EVH Wolfgang (Tobacco Sunburst)

THE INTERNET HAS BEEN GIVEN FAIR WARNING... VHLINKS/FORUMS WILL NOT DIE!!! - VanEdge

"Eddie Van Halen could fart into a microphone and make better music than anyone else." - VanEdge

"See, all I do is make music..." - EVH

"Look at all the people here tonight!" - DLR