ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 567 Times in 309 Posts

Donor

It's all about the VENUE baby.

Let's remember back a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.........Dave quits Van Halen. A lot of reasons were given, but one disagreement that I remember quite clearly was that the VH Brothers wanted to step up to bigger venues, like stadiums and amphitheatres.
    Dave didn't want to, saying he preferred smaller, enclosed arenas with less people, so he could control the audience.
    Look at what's happening on this tour: Even the hard core Dave fans are saying that his voice could be better. Less hard core fans are saying Dave's singing sucks.
    Now who said that about Dave back in the day? Hardly anyone I remember.
    Why? Look at the sheds they're playing now....the people up front get to see the show, and generally think it was great....the people on the lawn can't really see the SHOW Dave is putting on that well, so their main way to judge how he did was SOUND. Which we all know was NEVER worth a crap, which is probably why there's no Dave-era live album.
    In an arena, it's a much closer atmosphere, and everyone knows the sound won't be that good, so they watch the SHOW.
    At an amphitheatre, Dave can't really interact with people on the lawn, so they just sit and listen...and they almost universally say the sound sucked, and make no mention of the show, whereas the folks up front say Dave was awesome.
    If Dave reunites with VH, I hope they tour arenas, not amphitheatres. I think that's a big part of the perception that Dave has lost it.
    And yes, I realize that VH played some stadium-type concerts w/Dave, but mostly they toured arenas.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

cool concept pac and i see your point. i think it can be argued both ways.

i never saw dave with vh so i don't know how he sounded before. all i an go by is how he sounded on boots and from what others have said, and that is that he has never had a great live voice. i saw him and june and he wasn't terrible like many people have said. does he sound like he used to? prolly not. but he doesn't sound like utter shit either

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:59 AM
    Liked 567 Times in 309 Posts

Donor

JMJ, you're right, Dave doesn't sound that bad on this tour. The only difference I can tell from '82, '84, and '94 is his scream is gone. Other than that, he sounds pretty much the same in his normal voice.
    I just think that back in the 80's, in an arena where everyone was much closer to the stage than an amphitheatre, nobody really worried about the sound. They just watched the band.
    That was when it was VH, Dave, and "12,000 of his closest friends".

[ August 08, 2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Pacfanweb ]
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not a bad theory DIGGYD!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Van Halen R.I.P<br />(1974-1996)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, of course
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An excellent idea. When Dave was indoors on the DLR Band tour, he sounded much, much better. Could have been for a number of reasons, of course, but I don't think his voice could've deteriorated that much in 18 months.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i dunno...Dave played these kind of outdoor shed shows before...saw him at Blossom on Skyscraper and ALAE tours, plus this year, so i don't know how valid the theory is...i saw VH w/Hagar three times at the same venue, and the lawn was full...of course those were pre-Internet, so finding a review from someone out in the lawn may be tough...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw Dave live last year at Bumbershoot Labor day weekend and he sounded pretty darn good. He was outside in a stadium. I hate to say when I saw him this past June (not even a year later) His voice sounded way worse. Of course he can't yelp anymore like he used to but, wow he sure was depending a lot on those background vocals. I love Dave so he was cool anyway.