Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I SAW THE SHOW FRONT ROW IN CLEVELAND (ACTUALLY MET DAVE AT THE RITZ CARLTON ABOUT 11AM THAT DAY) AND IN DETROIT. HERE'S WHAT I'VE SEEN SO FAR:

DLR IS IN ABSOLUTELY AWESOME SHAPE FOR A GUY HIS AGE. SAMMY APPARENTLY HAS NEITHER EVER BELIEVED IN PHYSICAL FITNESS NOR HAS HE EVER SEEN A GYM. IF SOMEONE TOLD ME TO DRESS UP LIKE A GEEK FOR A HALLOWEEN PARTY, I WOULD WEAR THE OUTFIT SAMMY WORE IN CLEVELAND - GOD, IT WAS DOWN RIGHT EMBARRASSING! ROTH AT LEAST CARED ABOUT PROJECTING AN IMAGE FOR HIS FANS.

SAMMY'S GOT A GREAT VOICE, ALWAYS HAS. I GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR HOLDING ON TO THAT VOICE FOR ALL THESE YEARS TOO. BUT FRANKLY THAT'S ABOUT IT. HIS SET LIST WAS TRULY WEAK CONSIDERING THE ARSENAL OF SONGS HE HAD TO CHOOSE FROM. TOO MANY BALLADS AND TOO MUCH TALKING BETWEEN SONGS. AT OUR AGE, WE'VE HEARD ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED FROM THESE GUYS - LET'S JUST HEAR THEM PLAY SONGS WE KNOW!! AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT ROTH DID!! SAMMY RELIED WAAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH ON 'GIMMICKS' TO FUEL THE FIRE OF HIS SHOW. ESPECIALLY IN DETROIT, WHERE HE USED NUGENT (AS WASHED UP AS THEY GET) AND KID ROCK TO INTRODUCE HIM. EVERYTIME HE NEEDED THE AUDIENCE TO MAKE NOICE, HE REFERENCE THE RED WINGS SCORE. KEEP IN MIND THE WINGS GAME WAS ALREADY 2-0 WHEN ROTH WENT ON STAGE AND HE DIDN'T NEED TO USE THAT FACT FOR ONE DAMN CHEER FROM THE CROWD. HIS PERFORMANCE SPOKE FOR ITSELF. SAMMY MIGHT AS WELL BE DOING AN INFOMERCIAL FOR HIS BRAND OF TEQUILLA, FOR CHRISSAKES.!!

IT'S FUNNY HOW PEOPLE ARE TAKING SHOTS AT ROTH...WHEN I MET HIM WEDNESDAY, HE DIDN'T APPEAR TO HAVE ANY MORE OF A SIGNIFICANT HAIR LOSS PROBLEM THEN MOST 40 YEAR OLD GUYS I KNOW. HIS FACE ACTUALLY LOOKED WELL PRESERVED FOR A 47 YEAR OLD - HELL, WHEN I MET HIM HE WAS JUST EATING A SALAD IN THE RESTUARANT AT THE RITZ, NO MAKE UP OR ANYTHING. CAN YOU IMAGING SAMMY TRYING TO DO A SPINNING BACK KICK ON STAGE?? HE'D BE IN THE HOSPITAL!!!

ROTH'S GUITARIST, BRIAN YOUNG, IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! FUNNY THING IS I WAS TALKING TO A GUY IN ROTH'S GROUP AT THE RITZ AND HE TOLD ME THAT IF I CLOSED MY EYES WHILE YOUNG WAS PLAYING, I'D SWEAR IT WAS EDDIE HIMSELF; HE WAS RIGHT (ODDLY, THAT GUY TURNED OUT TO BE JAMES LAMENZO OF WHITE LION FAME - I REALIZED IT WHEN HE WALKED OUT ON STAGE). EXCEPT FOR HIS VERSION OF ERUPTION (WHICH I DIDN'T LIKE) HE WAS JUST A GOOD AS EDDIE EVER WAS LIVE. WHEN HE DID THE SONG, I'M THE ONE (WHICH EDDIE ALWAYS SAID WAS THE TOUGHEST GUITAR LICK ON VH 1), IT SOUNDED LIKE SOMEONE JUST TURNED ON THE DAMN ALBUM!! SAME THING WITH MOST OF THE OTHER SONGS. SERIOUSLY, THIS GUY IS ONE OUTSTANDING GUITARTIST IN AN INDUSTRY WHICH NO LONGER REALLY VALUES THE GUITAR SOLO ......

AS FOR ROTH'S VOICE, HEY, HE'S NEVER TRIED TO BE A GREAT SINGER!! HIS WHOLE APPROACH IS TO PERFORM SONGS WELL WITH THE VOICE HE'S GOT. IF YOU'D EVER SEEN VAN HALEN IN THE EARLY 80'S, YOU'LL REMEMBER THAT HE USED TO SING EVERY THIRD WORD, AT THE MOST. VOICE QUALITY HAS NEVER BEEN THE STANDARD BY WHICH HE WAS MEASURED - NOR SHOULD IT. HOWEVER, I WOULD SAY THAT HIS PATENTED 'SCREAMS' SOUNDED TERRIFIC, BETTER THAN EVER. HE BELTED OUT 19 SONGS IN ONE HOUR AND 18 MINUTES GUYS, THAT'S INCREDIBLE. THE SONGS HE CHOSE WERE TWICE ON 'HIGH POWERED' AS ALL BOUT TWO THAT SAMMY DID.

CONCLUSION IS THIS: ROTH WENT 150MPH FOR HIS ENTIRE SET. SAMMY STEPPED ON THE GAS 4 OR 5 TIMES DURING HIS AND USED GIMMICKS, TEQUILLA, AND STORY-TELLING TO FILL IN THE REST.

THIS IS SIMPLY THE TRUTH.
    TX7081040

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

take off the caps, and people take pokes at sammy as well.. So, relax. It's a good show all around. We are all lucky to see this tour, and again take off the caps [img]smile.gif[/img] And sammy and dave have two different personalities.. Dave rarely talked to the crowd for the exception of "i wanna fuck your girlfriend pal!" or something like that. Sammy was always talking to the crowd in his days in van halen. Its two different styles. So, when you attend a show like this, you get to hear the classic era of van halen, and you also get to hear the more current era. So, it kinda feels like your going back in time when everything was alright, and van halen concerts actually existed.. We can all debate on who was better for years, but i would rather sit back, have a cool drink, and enjoy the music..
    ~matt
    "And my loves got no rain check baby!"-DLR

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

TURN OFF THE FUCKIN CAPS!
    Not even biased Roth fans will read through that shit! Get a clue!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

In my humble opinion I thought Sammy's show was MUCH better than Dave's. I thought we judged concerts on musical performance & showmanship. Well, using those criteria's, Sammy out-performed Dave in all area's.

Apparently, the fact that Dave is in better physical shape make's him a better performer than Sammy???? I personally would rather "hear" good music than stare at some guys' body. But oh well, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Secondly, Dave's voice is starting to go. He can't hit the high notes any longer, and his voice was constantly cracking. It was kind of sad to see that he couldn't perform as well as he used to. Sammy's voice was rock solid as ever. He didn't strain to sing, nor did he miss a single beat. He sounded great.

Thirdly, Dave absolutely DID engage in "banter" with the crowd. However, his comments were stuff like "I'd give a girl like you my name.....not my real name!" And he thrust a Jack Daniels bottle from his pelvis making the whiskey that shot out of it look like he was having an orgasm. Hmmmmmm...very classy Dave (not)! Sammy, on the other hand, interacted well. I liked hearing Sammy talk about what inspired him to write a song, & hearing him joke with the audience. That's what a good performer does....he tries to connect with his fans. In this aspect, again, I thought Sammy clearly out-performed...and out-classed Dave.

Finally, on set lists, I liked Sammy's much better. Why? Because he did a mix of both solo material & Van Halen material. That was cool. I've always enjoyed Sammy's solo work, and I've always loved his work with Van Halen. Dave, on the other hand, only did Van Halen material (with the exception of "Yankee Rose"). His guitarist was plucked from the Van Halen tribute band "Atomic Punks" and sounded EXACTLY like Eddie. He even play "Eruption." I thought this was very sad, very sad indeed! Dave has a lot of good solo material, and for him to ignore all of it shows me he's still living in the past. Afterall, this WASN'T a Van Halen show. This was a legends show with two great performers who USED to be in Van Halen. To rely SOLEY on material that was created 18 to 24 years ago, tells me that Dave must not be too proud of the work he's done since leaving Van Halen back in 1985. That's very sad indeed.

Now, after reading this, you might think I'm a total Sammy fan. That is not the case at all. I've been a huge fan of Van Halen since I was in 6th grade (back in 1980). The first concert I ever saw was Van Halen's 1984....and to this day, it's the best concert I ever attended. However, it just seems to me that Dave has never really grown up, his act hasn't matured, & his voice is beginning to fail. Sammy just seems to get better & better each time I see him. And to me, that's the true measure of a great performer.

This is just my opinion. If you disagree, that's cool. No one said you have to like what I like. I'm just glad we both enjoy Van Halen on some level.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.10.06 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know who's winning, every VH fan!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

I also know who's losing, Ed an Al!!! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    Red Rocker Face Down in Cabo!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

very well said
    TX7081040

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member
    Originally posted by Cabo5150:
    I know who's winning, every VH fan!!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

I also know who's losing, Ed an Al!!! [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]
    I was going to post my view of Sammy (even though I am a die hard Dave guy) - but Cabo, you fucking nailed it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've seen one show so far. Sammy and Dave both put on a good show. I would be biased towards Dave if I critiqued any more. I will say however the engergy level went up tenfold when Dave was on the stage. My friend who likes Sammy and Dave both agreed with me as well..