Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

If you went to the August 3rd show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

When It\'s Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy Hagar's performance last night was one of the best performances I have ever seen by a musician and entertainer. He is certainly a crowd pleaser and has one of the best voices I have ever heard in my life. Michael Anthony's appearance only added to Hagar's far superior performance to Roth's.

I have never liked Roth's personality but his showmanship in his earlier career was always something to respect. I was literally embarrassed for Roth last night. I actually felt sorry for him. He can no longer sing or entertain on stage. He stood around, gasped for air, forgot words, and was condescending with a crowd that was much more intelligent than him. The fans did not respond favorably to Roth. Many around me were screaming--you suck Roth! While I did not join in the jeering, I have to agree. He was certainly not headline material last night, not even for Vegas. Any fan who attended last night and thinks Roth was better than Hagar, then you are still stoned or plain stupid.

Hagar was so much better than Roth. The house was packed for Hagar's opening,and fans started to file out of the venue as Roth stumbled over his set. I joined many after the tenth song, and I have never in my life left a concert early--especially not one involving VH/VH members. The fact that Michael Anthony has only joined Hagar on this tour ought to tell stupid fans something. Hagar was and is the man. Like it or not, Van Halen was better with Hagar, and Michael Anthony confirms that.

I know die-hard Roth fans will disagree, but you must not have been on the same planet or in the same dimension if you think Roth won last night.

Hagar: the undisputed champ of this tour. Dave go open for the Atomic Punks.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

DLR Band!!!!!!
    Favorite VH Song

Slam Dunk!!!!!!
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by CLRWVH:
    Like it or not, Van Halen was better with Hagar
    I wish you said that earlier in your post - save me reading the rest of it!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

secrets
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I very much doubt the previous reviewer was even there! Everyone with half a brain knows DLR has more talent and charisma in his pinky than that fat, floundering, Jimmy buffet wanna be, tequila selling chump,; Sammy Hagar

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.03.15 @ 02:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by cadman:
    I very much doubt the previous reviewer was even there! Everyone with half a brain knows DLR has more talent and charisma in his pinky than that fat, floundering, Jimmy buffet wanna be, tequila selling chump,; Sammy Hagar
    Uh, sorry dude, but I was there and I can confirm that Dave sucked last night. I use to be one of those that wanted Dave back in the fold, but after last night's embarrasing and pathetic performance from the former Diamond One the last thing I want to see is Dave back in the band. Sammy rocked the house and put on one hell of a show. I don't say that lightly, I've been to alot of shows in my 38 years. Dave in his prime, say 15 years ago, hands down would be the winner. But that's the problem, Dave is well past his prime and seeing him last night for the first time since 1988 confirmed that. Sammy on the other hand is still in his prime. I too left early which is something I've never done in my life. If I wanted to go see a Van Halen tribute show, I'd go see the Atomic Punks. The only interesting thing that happened during Dave's set was some guy threw something at Brian Young and Dave flipped. He had the guy thrown out. The only thing Dave seemed to be doing well last night was flirting with the women in the first couple of rows and taking sips from his "bottle of Jack", which I suspect was probably anything but Jack Daniels. Look, the bottom line here is that Dave just can't cut it anymore, I wish it werent' true but it is. Don't get me wrong, I love Dave era Van Halen and most of Dave's solo stuff. But considering the horrible spectacle I witnessed last night, that's better left in the past. I am now thoroughly convinced that if Van Halen is to have a future, it must be with Sammy Hagar.

[ August 04, 2002, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: MrBrownSound ]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I made the trip to Nashville. This is the second show I've seen on this tour, and I feel pretty much the same way about this show as I did the last one (June 11, Polaris Ampitheater, Columbus OH).

Hagar was on fire last night. He put on a great show. Very high energy. His voice was flawless. It was great to see Mikey.

I'm not gonna be as hard on Dave as the rest of you guys. I thought he sounded pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. He sang better than he did on most of the old bootlegs I've heard. He seemed more energetic last night than he was in Columbus. He interacted with the crowd a whole lot more last night. His band is amazing.

Dave's show is a lot more of a nostalgia act. It's great to hear a kick ass band playing all those great songs again, but if his band were anything less than stellar, the "Diamond One" wouldn't be considered major tour material. The years haven't been terribly kind to him, but he does a great job with the abilities that he has left.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed both shows I've seen. I enjoyed Sam and I enjoyed Dave. Sammy is more entertaining now than he was when he was in Van Halen. Dave is nowhere near the performer that he used to be, but is an entertaining show none-the-less.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

van halen
    Favorite VH Song

ain\'t talkin \'bout love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sammy was good i just don't care about seeing him w/out van halen. and yes, that horrible commercial for his club literally sent me to get beer. yes the crowd enjoyed him but i was apethetic.

i personally had a fantastic time at the dave part of the show. me and my girlfriend went up front when he began. sure this isn't 1980 any more but the smile on dave and the rest of the bands faces let me know they were having just as much fun. he joked with one girl non-stop and said to another girl "you having a good time tonight?". if that's only caring about flirting with the girls it sounds like sammy's boy above needs some attention from the ladies. also, the whiskey was real. jump was anemic w/out the keyboards but i had fun and the rest of the crowd did too from what i saw for both performers.

dave and van halen? probably not.
    unless they do the old songs.
    sammy and van halen? who cares
    but i haven't cared for much since 5150.

to sum it up. they were both very entertaining it just depeneds on whom you like more as to if you will enjoy it.

long live david lee roth.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

02.22.07 @ 01:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at Saturday's Show in Nashville. Had 20th Row Center. Have been a Van Halen fan since 1979. Last time I saw Van Halen with Roth was in 1984 at the LA Forum. I have never seen Sammy live before, and it was great to finally see him. From the outset, I am a major Van Halen fan with David Lee Roth,but I also like Sammy as well. Been reading all the reviews for weeks, so it was finally my turn to see these 2 former Van Halen front men.

Okay, Sammy opened the show. It was a great performance. Really great seeing Michael Anthony on stage again. He was all smiles, looks like he lost a little weight, and was way into it! It was a very festive, entertaining set. Sammy was a ton of fun to watch! Except there was too much references to alcohol for my taste! Sammy was just being Sammy!

Okay now to Diamond Dave!

Well...it had been 18 years since I last saw Dave on stage, and was really curious about his set. I will say when Dave walked out on the stage, as his band was playing "Hot for Teacher" I got chills. There was Diamond Dave. The legend! Dave was wearing a Gold/Brass outfit, and his very blond hair looked amazing. The crowd wild. as I Dave and his 'kick ass band' played one Van Halen classic after another. It was really cool to hear the man who sang, and wrote those songs on stage again. Highlight songs for me? Dead of Alive (DOA) Ice Cream Man (Just seeing Dave solo on stage with that guitar was great) and Everybody Wants Some! So...having said all that. Let me get a little more critical.

It was great seeing Dave again, but it would have been cool if Dave talked about each Van Halen song before he played it. There was no mention why he was playing just Van Halen songs. It was very surreal to see Dave playing those classic songs without the rest of Van Halen. Michael/Ed/Al were missed. Also, not sure who "Dave" is anymore, meaning I could not tell if he was making a connection with the audience. He looks out into the crowd, but there is nothing in his eyes, it's as if he has his mind on something else. I hate to write this, but Dave was a little freaky on stage, there is a "tension" about him. He would do these silly "cock" like things with his Microphone that wasn't that smooth. It was strange! I think Dave was a little strange on stage Saturday night. But again Dave was just being Dave. But I had to wonder for those that didn't know or 'get Dave 'thought about the show? There was a stunned look on many in the crowd. They had a look of not sure what to make of Dave 2002? And yes...I saw many leaving the AMSOUTH Amp about 10 songs into Dave's set. I stayed the whole time! Even got to the 3rd row for his encore (Jump) Dave just looked great. And seeing him jump off that drum riser was just so classic!

Okay, in a nutshell, it was great seeing Dave, the man is still with us. After the show I had to be honest with myself, and I had to conclude that I don't think Dave is the man to front Van Halen again! So hard to write that, but even though it was great seeing Dave again, he is sadly only half of what he was in his Classic Van Halen Days. Seeing Dave on stage made me understand why Ed has a problems with Dave. I just don't think they 'connect' anymore. Dave is in another zone that is very hard read/understand.He seems lost,and not sure where to take his Rock Stat status. I'm sure he misses the boys. I do believe Dave gave it 110% percent on Saturday. I wasn't lazy or anything, but there was a saddness to his performance as well. Felt a little sad for Dave.

I hope you don't think I am bashing Dave. I am a die hard Van Halen with Roth fan, and I'm just being honest. Yes.....Sammy is probably better to lead sing for Van Halen, but we have seen Sammy!
    Either Van Halen go into another direction 2002 style, or...heck I don't know anymore. I am one confused Van Halen fan, and will say this, Michael sure seemed to have fun with Sammy on that stage! And there was no sign of Sammy or Michael during Dave's set.

I could write alot more about this, but hey, it's only Rock and Roll....I think?

Last Online

06.07.06 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is that Rob from Nashville?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes...my name is Robert in Nashville. Who is this? How did you know that?

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe your a different Rob - I think you would of recognized my name. Last name McLemore?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did you go to Palos Verdes High in the early 80's?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

question: when one person posts that "the crowd didn't connect with roth at all" and another person posts "the crowd went nuts": is that just a difference of opinion or is one of the two posters lying?

i saw seven shows during the first half of the tour (that's almost as most as anyone else here) and both roth and hagar had the crowd absolutely behind them. never heard one negative comment other than a couple of drunks yelling shit at sammy (they don't count)....

i've sadly concluded that people are just lying about facts here to support their "boy".....how sad. i finally have realized that it is of no value whatsoever to try to post an accurate concert review at this site. in order to fit in, i guess i'm left with just posting falsehoods in support of the singer to whom i am biased........what a shame, another review site where honesty and accuracy is just a silly joke...... i'm a roth fan as you know, but i haven't posted any 'outright' lies. these rothbashers just flatout lie as a means of supporting their favorite singer - mr. hagar.

ok, i'm ready to jump on the 'ol "bull shit wagon now........."

i'll be at the marina show in nj so i'll let you all know just how fast the crowd leaves when roth gets on stage ........i promise not to say anything negative about sammy since he is, of course, without flaw.
    TX7081040

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Torrance High in the early 80's. I had a friend whose younger brother (two years younger) was really into VH like all of my friends. We all went to the 84 show at the Forum and it was their first VH concert ever. Ironically this guy now lives in Nashville and I think works for Gibson...

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And the guy's name was Rob!