Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

It seems more and more people are into the "tribute band" mentality. When some guy leaves an established band, just replace him with some guy from that established band's tribute act.
    Dave doing that twice, Priest getting Ripper, Journey getting Perry-clone Steve Augeri, INXS touring with a Michael Hutchens clone, Skid Row ditto.
    I am sorry to say this, but 40-somethings are turning rock into a CONSERVATIVE genre, meaning that their only ambition is to "conserve" what once was (and was great, no question about that).
    But people, that is NOT what rock is about! It's suppose to experiment and try new things. During the classic VH eras, I always went to the show wishing to hear the tunes from the new album as well as the classics. Any new VH album was a "classic-making" machine. Even OU812 or Balance. This spirit has obviously been lost.
    Nowadays, I'll take Tool and Korn any day over nostalgia-oriented classic rock acts.

I couldn't understand why fans would stand for it before. Now with the reviews from the first Sam & Dave show, I finally get it. People like it, they like to see a pseudo tribute band playing in a very conservative manner VH tunes "just like the record", in a "party" atmosphere.
    That was NOT what Van Halen, the greatest band of all time, was about.
    Although Roth plays the VH song just like the CD and is faithful to the MUSIC, it is a blatant treason of the VH SPIRIT, wich has always been inovative. In their heyday, they played sped up cover versions of classic song ("Summer Time Blues", "rock'n Roll", "won't get fooled again"). They improvised solos. Ed quoted "fur elise" during his live solo, etc.

There are dozens of "party" bands. I heard Poison's doing a tour this summer, with the original line-up and plenty of "party" songs played just like the record. Their singer looks a bit like DLR, by the way.

But there is only one Van Halen.
    Little Dreamer

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see what you're saying, but I think you're taking it all a wee bit too seriously. Van Halen, back in the day, WAS about the party to a great extent. The party is the spiritual attidude of beligerent enthusiasm that Dave is always talkin' about. With all the squabbling and badmouthing back and forth, that spirit was getting lost and misplaced.

The way I see it, Dave made new (going in a heck of a lot of diff. musical directions) music for 20 years. Then, he saw that the spirit of the old, classic original music that folks love so much was getting lost. So, for the past 2 years he's been reclaiming the enthusiasm of those tunes. And I don't doubt that Dave is still going to make new music. And I don't doubt that Dave is going to make lots more new music after this tour and he's going to get SLAMMED for it as usual - ironically from the same people that are complaining he's a "tribute act" (albiet to songs he co-wrote...) to himself.
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a question...except for the semantics of it, what's the difference between the way the Van Halen songs were written and Dave's solo material?

The Van Halen songs, Eddie came up with riffs and general arrangement ideas, and Dave came up with song lyrics and melody ideas.

Dave's solo songs, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Terry Kilgore, Billy Sheehan, and Jon Lowrey come up with riffs and general arrangement ideas, and Dave comes up with song lyrics and melody ideas.

Except for the fact that the "Van Halen" songs are older, is there really any difference as to how much the songs are "his"?
    ******************************<br />LIVE in front of your naked, steaming typefont - it's "STEVE" from the DLRARMY!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I for one can be lumped in with the people that like it. I've missed hearing the old classics so when Dave started doing them live I was and still am very excited.

My question to you LD is what would you have Dave do? Lets go hypothetical for a moment shall we? Lets say that Dave went on tour and only played 3, 4 maybe 5 at the most Van Halen songs. All the rest solo stuff. Do you think he could draw nearly as many people? Do you think anyone would have him? He literally would have to go back to the club days.

So what's he to do? Go beg Eddie to let him back where he belongs? No. You go get an Eddie clone and do it yourself. In the free world we have supply and demand. Right now the demand is for classic Van Halen. Dave's giving us that.

One last thing. I wish people would give the whole tribute band thing a rest. You can't be a tribute band if one of the original song writers is in the band. Those are his songs. He co-wrote them. Show him a little respect.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

This brings up a very good and relevant point!! IMO there is a very good explaination for this type of activity proliferating the rock music scene.

Simply put... this is a direct result of the lack of great rock, specifically new releases. Look and listen to the crap that is being released today. None of it measures up to even the B sides produced by our former heros.

Is it the state of the quality of todays musicians... somewhat (It's time to bury drop-D tunings and distorted 2 note power chords). But I also think it's a direct result of the major labels dumping what used to be mainstream rock groups and chasing the holy grail of cash cows in the pop market.

Used to be the industry supported both the pop and mainstream rock. But no longer today... I believe there's a shift coming though... the glitter is falling off of Titney and N-Suck. There's a huge music buying public in the 20-50 age range that's not being tapped....

I agree with the original poster... the tribute stand-in are a novelty for now. Filling a void for a hungry rock audience.

Serious question... How many fans will be willing to shell out $60 next summer to see Dave and his tribute band perform the same 18 - 25 year old hits?
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Originally posted by dj88:

My question to you LD is what would you have Dave do? Lets go hypothetical for a moment shall we? Lets say that Dave went on tour and only played 3, 4 maybe 5 at the most Van Halen songs. All the rest solo stuff. Do you think he could draw nearly as many people? Do you think anyone would have him? He literally would have to go back to the club days.

So what's he to do? Go beg Eddie to let him back where he belongs? No. You go get an Eddie clone and do it yourself. In the free world we have supply and demand. Right now the demand is for classic Van Halen. Dave's giving us that.

One last thing. I wish people would give the whole tribute band thing a rest. You can't be a tribute band if one of the original song writers is in the band. Those are his songs. He co-wrote them. Show him a little respect.
    Dave should do like other top rockers if he want to stay relevant... that is continue to create new music in the vein of what Dave does best. There's some really good solo material Dave produced post-VH.

Some good examples... Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Robert Plant... all split from their former fame & glory bands. Went and teamed up with some good musicians and kept the ball rolling.

Yeah yeah Dave did that too... but somewhere in the last 4 years Dave quit doing that and fell back into this groove he's in with the tribute farm club. Either Dave's lost his creative edge (certain videos may demonstrate this...) or he's gotten lazy and decided to ride the nostaligia train until he runs out of track...

He could deliver the classics and demonstrate he's still a viable musician... right now it's questionable if he's sinking back into the Las Vegas Nostalgia Review zone again... IMO
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Eat Em and Smile
    Favorite VH Song

Yankee Rose
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know. Some of one's current view of Dave has to do if you liked Lil Ain't Enough and Filthy Little Mouth. Especially the latter. Personally, I LOVE Filthy Little Mouth. It's a very intelligent album and shows what Dave is capable of lyrically.

Dave probably viewed Filthy Little Mouth as the type of thing he wanted to do till he died - smart records that slide philosophy right under your front door. But...for the most part folks SLAMMED him for it.

I don't doubt that Dave's gonna get back to making new music soon. Personally, I'd like him to get back to the experimental attitude and lyrical brilliance of that record after he gives folks their nostalgia kicks on this summer tour.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It seems more and more people are into the "tribute band" mentality. When some guy leaves an established band, just replace him with some guy from that established band's tribute act.
    Dave doing that twice, Priest getting Ripper, Journey getting Perry-clone Steve Augeri, INXS touring with a Michael Hutchens clone, Skid Row ditto.
    I am sorry to say this, but 40-somethings are turning rock into a CONSERVATIVE genre, meaning that their only ambition is to "conserve" what once was (and was great, no question about that).
    But people, that is NOT what rock is about! It's suppose to experiment and try new things. During the classic VH eras, I always went to the show wishing to hear the tunes from the new album as well as the classics. Any new VH album was a "classic-making" machine. Even OU812 or Balance. This spirit has obviously been lost.
    Nowadays, I'll take Tool and Korn any day over nostalgia-oriented classic rock acts.

I couldn't understand why fans would stand for it before. Now with the reviews from the first Sam & Dave show, I finally get it. People like it, they like to see a pseudo tribute band playing in a very conservative manner VH tunes "just like the record", in a "party" atmosphere.
    That was NOT what Van Halen, the greatest band of all time, was about.
    Although Roth plays the VH song just like the CD and is faithful to the MUSIC, it is a blatant treason of the VH SPIRIT, wich has always been inovative. In their heyday, they played sped up cover versions of classic song ("Summer Time Blues", "rock'n Roll", "won't get fooled again"). They improvised solos. Ed quoted "fur elise" during his live solo, etc.

There are dozens of "party" bands. I heard Poison's doing a tour this summer, with the original line-up and plenty of "party" songs played just like the record. Their singer looks a bit like DLR, by the way.

But there is only one Van Halen.
    Dreamer, I couldn't agree with you more for the most part. But honestly, Van Halen themselves had fallen into that rut you're talking about. The '98 tour was almost as much of a "tribute" act as Dave and Sammy's.

As far as the Dave and Sam show, neither of these guys have any "new" material to promote. Neither "Let Sally Drive" from Sammy OR "Slam Dunk" from Roth are in the setlist, and they were both pretty well recieved on the radio.

I also like alot of the newer breeds of bands your talking about, but most of them are just beginning their careers. How many of the original members will be left and/or songs will they be playing in 25 years?

The "classics".
    Fast Eddie

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Meanstreet
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zahzoo:
    Dave should do like other top rockers if he want to stay relevant... that is continue to create new music in the vein of what Dave does best. There's some really good solo material Dave produced post-VH.

Some good examples... Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Robert Plant... all split from their former fame & glory bands. Went and teamed up with some good musicians and kept the ball rolling.
    Those three guys are relevant now? Are any of them still making new music? Is anyone buying their music? If they are I'm completely unaware of it.

I agree Dave has some very good solo stuff. But the demand is for classic VH. He's filling that demand on his own because Eddie won't.

I really feel people will rip Dave no matter what he does. If he was touring behind mostly his solo tunes there would be some that loved it, and then there would be others that would hate it. Especially on this tour. It makes perfect sense for Dave to do all classic VH when touring with Sammy don't you think?

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Paul McCartney and Roger Waters still sell out big shows but their albums sell like crap. People come to hear old Floyd from Roger and old Beatles and Wings from McCartney. Make no mistake about it.

As for Robert Plant, he is probably the exception here. He put out some great solo albums that sold decently. Too bad he decided to cash in on Zeppelin and team up with the bloated one, Jimmy Page. Luckily it seems he's getting back on track.
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Unreleased Box Set, Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some good observations, Little Dreamer....

Your point about the 40-somethings (& 50-somethings) is not only apparent in the music/entertainment scene . It's the whole mentality of phoniness & turning into that which, when they were growing up, they couldn't stand. Now they're at the top & we have constant promotions for SUVs & who can have the biggest home. How can they afford all this shit ??

Me thinks some of the mentality may be: "I'll die before I pay it off", but isn't that leaving it to their kids ? The ones we all hear so much about re. their welfare & safety ? Sheesh...

But back to the music....Perhaps in order to "re-capture", as it were, the feeling of these legendary bands, some are truly selling-out for the almighty, evn if the product is a faint hint of what it used to be. Maybe more of that superficiality I referred to re. the Osbournes.

We had Fake Fest here a few weeks ago, and the review stated that no one showed up. A few people in the first couple of rows, & even they were scattered....'Best thing about that ? The Punks stole the show hands down [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] . 'Wish I had gone.....

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    Paul McCartney and Roger Waters still sell out big shows but their albums sell like crap. People come to hear old Floyd from Roger and old Beatles and Wings from McCartney. Make no mistake about it.

As for Robert Plant, he is probably the exception here. He put out some great solo albums that sold decently. Too bad he decided to cash in on Zeppelin and team up with the bloated one, Jimmy Page. Luckily it seems he's getting back on track.
    Ummm ok but Plants solo "career" hasn't been as "well promoted" since about 1988, I mean he teamed up with Jimmy Page in 1994, and has done a few tours since then with Jimmy playing the old Zep stuff so really they have bee doing the nostalgia thing for a while too...

Waters plays MOSTLY Pink Floyd material live, as dose Pink Floyd....MCCartney does try to mix up his setlist, I will give him that and puts out solo material, but his solo career has not been well promoted at all since the 80's....

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I know...I've plunked down about $60 just out of curiosity. If Sunday's show in Indy sucks, I'm (insert own rant here).
    Ah, but then the whole industry is allowing drivel to invade the airwaves.
    Video DID kill the radio star.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:

Ummm ok but Plants solo "career" hasn't been as "well promoted" since about 1988, I mean he teamed up with Jimmy Page in 1994, and has done a few tours since then with Jimmy playing the old Zep stuff so really they have bee doing the nostalgia thing for a while too...

Waters plays MOSTLY Pink Floyd material live, as dose Pink Floyd....MCCartney does try to mix up his setlist, I will give him that and puts out solo material, but his solo career has not been well promoted at all since the 80's....
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well my point was that you can't point to McCartney and Waters and say that they've done anything different than what Dave is doing now. Robert Plant put out some great albums up to and including Fate of Nations. But right after that came the No Quarter album. He has been on cruise control since. Hopefully his new album will set things right.

I was more trying to defend Dave than attack anyone else. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Diver Down NJ:

</font>[/QUOTE]Well my point was that you can't point to McCartney and Waters and say that they've done anything different than what Dave is doing now. Robert Plant put out some great albums up to and including Fate of Nations. But right after that came the No Quarter album. He has been on cruise control since. Hopefully his new album will set things right.

I was more trying to defend Dave than attack anyone else. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well kool then we are in agreement then eh' dude??? [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Dave is really doing no different than PF, Rob P, Roger W, or Paul McCar...

BUT, Paul does stay current performing recent solo material live...