Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Nothing new - but interesting...
    http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...4%257E,00.html

for the lazy:
    Hagar-Roth show vows to rock
    After getting booted out of Van Halen, the rivals get their act together
    By G. Brown
    Denver Post Popular Music Writer

Friday, June 14, 2002 - Has Hades frozen over?

Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth, the rival former frontmen for Van Halen, have joined forces for a series of shows. They'll play Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre on Wednesday night.

"The idea of Roth/Hagar going out there has been proposed before, but never quite at the exact right time period," the swaggering Roth said recently.

"And then Bono called me and told me I had to do this for world peace," Roth said, tongue firmly planted in cheek. "Hey, I don't want another call, OK?"

The not-so-subtle Hagar added: "If Dave and I can get along, anyone can. Bin Laden, come on and move to New York City, we'll give you amnesty."

The team-up of Diamond Dave and the Red Rocker isn't exactly what Van Halen fans might have hoped for. It's without Eddie Van Halen's guitar wizardry. Hagar and Roth take on alternative headlining duties, each playing 90-minute sets with his own band.

Roth, he of the ribald wit and flair for unabashed showmanship, was the hyperactive vocalist when Van Halen became one of the world's most popular rock bands. While Eddie Van Halen was the musical standout, it was Roth, with his flowing blond mane, onstage kicks and outrageous antics (oh, and those Spandex trousers), who established the group's image.

The hits started piling up in 1978: "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," "Runnin' With The Devil," "And The Cradle Will Rock," "Jump," "Panama," "You Really Got Me," "Beautiful Girls," "(Oh) Pretty Woman," "I'll Wait" and "Hot For Teacher." But after more than a decade together, Roth had a falling-out with the other members.

In 1985, Hagar, the former lead singer of the band Montrose and a successful solo artist, joined the fold and helped lead Van Halen to its biggest commercial victories: "Why Can't This Be Love," "Dreams," "When It's Love," "Right Now," "Love Walks In," "Black And Blue" and "Finish What Ya Started." He upheld Roth's cockiness and style, plus he was affable and a better singer.

But then Hager departed acrimoniously in 1996. Extreme singer Gary Cherone filled in but hung around only long enough to record 1998's "Van Halen III."

Hagar, 52, and Roth, 46, met earlier this year for the first time.

"Sitting in a room together was a little uncomfortable at first, because there'd been so many things said about each of us," Hagar said. "Dave came up with one of the best lines. I said, "Dave, I always heard you were a (jerk).' He said, "Yeah, but check out the source of your information.'

"It's true. Looking back at the (Van Halen) brothers, Ed and Al, I'm going, "How come Sammy and Dave can get along, and nobody can get along with those guys?' It's a huge statement about the dysfunctional Van Halen brothers. Those guys flipped out or something. Dave's probably got more scoop on them than me, because I haven't seen them since the day I was thrown out."

Roth has previously related that he was working with Van Halen on some new material, but he was vexed at having nothing concrete come out of the sessions. Eddie Van Halen later disclosed that he was battling cancer. The notoriously private guitarist is reportedly healthy after receiving treatment.

"Sam and I don't have much in common with the Van Halen saga," Roth said. "I was one of the architects of one of the most familiar Americana sounds in the history of the game. My voice and the sound of Eddie Van Heineken's guitar is as well-known as the McDonald's arches or the Nike swoosh. Even if you've never owned a record of mine, you're intimate with it tearing out of a flatbed in front of you at the drive-thru at Burger King. You can't get through a sporting event without hearing me yell some verb at you - "Jump!' "

According to Roth and Hagar, they will push each other to perform to the best of their abilities. But is the rivalry friendly?

"C'mon, it's not like Mike Tyson biting somebody's ear," Roth said with a laugh. "The worst rivalries I've ever seen or heard of in rock 'n' roll consist of open-hand slapping followed by tears, elaborate apologies and a reunion tour.

"Sam has a whole different approach to his stagecraft. He has a colorful, large production, and he brings 40 or 50 fans onto the stage with him, and he's got the cannons, et cetera. I take a very timeless Brazilian/ju jitsu approach - empty wooden floor, eight moves, rule the world. . . .

"It's closer to a sports bias. When we go on the stage, it's not about "Let's have a good time and rock 'n' roll and just be with the people.' That's for the audience. We're here to prove something! I don't know what - but, like James Brown, we intend to prove it all night long, hey!"

"It's motivated . . . me. You look for a reason to get better, and I found it," said Hagar, who gave up a career as a boxer to begin singing in the late '60s.

"My dad was an alcoholic, died under a park bench. That's no joke. He embarrassed me in my small town at all times. . . .' Ecch. It made me a fighter, made me want to climb out of that mess. Once you start that climb, you never, ever reach the top. You just don't know how - climbing is all you know how to do. I'm a goat!"

The tour's official slogan has a boxing reference: "Song for song, the undisputed heavyweight champs of rock 'n' roll."

"That guy knows that we shouldn't be co-headlining. He should be opening for me, no question," Hagar said. "That will be apparent by the end of the tour. As competitive as it is, and as much as I truly am not a big fan of this guy, I think it makes for a great rock 'n' roll concert."
    Aint life grand!

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I love all these new interviews and reviews! It's great insight!

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"That guy knows that we shouldn't be co-headlining. He should be opening for me, no question," Hagar said. "That will be apparent by the end of the tour."
    The more shit I hear from Sammy, the less I like him!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

grant bin laden amnesty?
    what the fuck is hagar talking aout?

rock stars should just keep their mouths shut about anything other than music. and sometimes they should keep it shut about that, too.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by VH2001:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> "That guy knows that we shouldn't be co-headlining. He should be opening for me, no question," Hagar said. "That will be apparent by the end of the tour."
    The more shit I hear from Sammy, the less I like him!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]eh' I take it all with a grain of salt, it's SHOWBIZ!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DLR'sCock:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VH2001:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> "That guy knows that we shouldn't be co-headlining. He should be opening for me, no question," Hagar said. "That will be apparent by the end of the tour."
    The more shit I hear from Sammy, the less I like him!! [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]eh' I take it all with a grain of salt, it's SHOWBIZ!!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]I agree to a point, but the thing is that most of the time when Sammy talks, he says things seriously and straight up!!
    He actually believes what he's saying!! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

[ June 14, 2002, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: VH2001 ]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Hide Your Sheep:
    rock stars should just keep their mouths shut about anything other than music. and sometimes they should keep it shut about that, too.
    And that's exactly why many people...including ME...have slammed Ed so hard for saying nothing. We want it both ways...when it's convenient for us.
    LightBulb5150<br />I bring things to light.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Dave 46 and Sam 52?

Hmm... I think that Dave has convinced Sam to join him in the good old "age chopping" routine he is famous for having imposed to the VH bros...

Sam got 3 years younger in that article and Dave lost a couple...

I think it would be great to publish a book for kids called "Learn how to count with Sam & Dave's funny math"...
    Little Dreamer