Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, you all know me as a big Dave supporter, both solo and old VH. And as of yet I haven't seen any of the shows on this tour. So I got to wonderin' about all these people complaining that Dave just comes out and delivers a workman-like performance. People want to know why there isn't a looser, more laid-back style to his set.

One thing I thought of is this...I don't follow Sammy's career that much, but I think he's been playing with his current band for at least a few years now. I could be wrong, though. So by now he must have a good chemistry developed with them, which would allow for a more free-form concert.

Dave, on the other hand, seems to switch band members (at least guitarists) like underwear. I'm not going to debate whether or not that is a good thing. But it seems to me that he probably doesn't have the benefit of good chemistry with them, just yet. He probably views them as hired hands and not really equals. I mean, how long have they been playing together, 6 months maybe?!? As such, he has to know that if his show deviates from what they've rehearsed he probably runs the risk of some big foul-ups. And then of course the nay-sayers will be on his ass like white on rice. So he probably figures that the best way to leave the fans with a positive impression is to cut the BS and get down to business.

Now some people may like that, others may not. But it seems that at least some people who are complaining that Dave isn't interacting with the crowd enough are the same ones who thought he was too much of a clown when he was in VH.

Again, I haven't seen the shows. But I think that until he gets some real confidence in his band it's probably best that he errs on the side of caution. At least that way people can say his voice isn't what it used to be, or that his kicks aren't as high as they used to be...but they can't say that he isn't focused on packing as much musical punch as possible into his shows. I've heard very few complaints so far that he wasted 90 minutes on bullshit and antics. So much for Dave not being about the music.

[ June 03, 2002, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Diver Down NJ ]
    "There's a Japanese term called wabi-sabi, not wasabi, but wabi-sabi. It means an appreciation for the imperfect, the less than precision. The cowboy boots that you never polish because it's bad luck. That is completely wabi-sabi. Van Halen is that." - DLR 2002<br /><br />"Look! I can see their parachutes! They're ok..." - Tenshinhan, DragonBall Z

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

08.03.15 @ 03:39 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I've seen Dave twice this time around, once back a few years ago opening for Bad Company, and this past weekend in Chicago. And Dave definately did have that "Worker's Drive" too the show. I think it is a lot of things, the band he's been playing with is kind of new (with the exception of Ray, his drummer), he's trying to keep up with Sammy playing with Mikey 1/2, and there was something more. I am not too sure he wants to tour, or likes touring, or who knows. But at least when I was at that show in Chicago, something seemed wrong now the more I look at it. I honestly think a lot of it may have to do with Mikey and Sammy really clicking on stage, and then not seeing Mikey play with Dave and seeing a mikey Clone instead. There is something disheartening about it. I do know that Dave did put all he had on the plate, and is trying hard. Only thing is that well, we want Dave being Dave. I think he may have been taken back by the fact that mikey is there, but not there. If Mikey played with Dave, then you would have something special, a feeling of reinvigorated Dave rather than Dave just being Dave the workhorse.

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 01:23 PM
    Liked 449 Times in 245 Posts

Premium Member
    I was wondering if maybe Dave is purposely toning it down. You know the brothers are watching this with a VERY close eye right now. Possibly veiwing it as a quasi re-audition. So, Dave being a web surfer has read the comments about previous tours. Lets be honest here, the majority of people said his voice was there - just not his maturity.

So Dave is probably toning it down so there is less of "come on Dave, give us a break" type of comments.

Walking out of Fridays concert - that was my hypothesis. However, this really did take some wind out of his sales. Jesus Dave, we love hearing you talk, telling your stories, watching you party - sometimes I get the feeling you go from one extreme to the other.

Of course - the other logical side is, maybe he has a cold and is feeling worn down....I mean there has only been 4 shows, less than a week now - I've had shit ass colds that drag for a few weeks!
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

03.03.15 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I'm not sure why this issue is getting so much attention. It's nothing new. The '99 and 2001 shows were like this too.

As for Dave not being comfortable with his band... I think that's pretty weak. He's worked with Ray for a long time, James since the last tour, and of course Brian is new. The flipside of this is that there's very few big-name rockers who have as much experience dealing with new band members as DLR. Interchangable parts, baby!

One thing you notice is that the show is all about Dave. The other band members get the attention only when Dave wants them to.

This isn't an audition in any way. It's been the same show since '99. This is DLR going out and delivering what he thinks the fans want, in the way he thinks they want it. It's got nothing to do with Ed, Al, or any sort of audition.

Dave's got the gift of gab, and it's too bad he doesn't use it. It'd give him a breather (notice how he goes down on one knee now and then to catch up?) and it'd give the crowd a good laugh.

Last Online

10.19.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts

Premium Member
    one thing i can say as far as dave cuttin' some of the talking down in between songs. i remember seeing him on the 99 trek and i distinctly remember thinking dave was blabbin' way too much and too long. people were shouting at him to shut up and sing another song already.

now keep in mind i've been a fan of dave's since day one. i took his "side" when VH split in 85. i still laff at the sound bytes i see on old MTV it's not that i dont enjoy a dave story. it just seemed on this particular nite he was dragging them out way too long.

so maybe that has something to do with him cuttin' to the cahse and trying to deliver more songs for the buck, instead of his classic rock filler talk.

just a thought.
    some stuff I drew and/or filmed: