Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

If you went to the August 7th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

05.06.08 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I just walked in the door from the concert and my ears are still ringing. Let me start off by saying that I regard Roger Waters 2000 the best concert to date that I have been to. I came to this show tonite with mixed feelings after reading the different posts from people that have attended previous shows. I didn't know what to think. And after talking with "Mr. Bill" (a local radio DJ) He told us that as of 3:30pm today Dave & Sammy had almost come to blows backstage concerning last nights show in Raleigh. So needless to say My expectations of the show were quite low. Dave came on about 7:40pm. I'm not going to go into his set list because I think everyone here knows it. In as simple terms as I can put it "DAVE KICKED ASS!!!!!" Plan and simple. He Came,He Saw, He Rocked. I was very Impressed. His guitar player is fucking incredible. The band was as tight as I have ever herd a band. My voice was gone after Dave's set. I said to myself there's no way Sammy is going to touch this. Sammy came out and punched us all right in the face. He was there to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And he was all out of Bubble gum....... I left that concert saying to my buddy. "That's the best fucking show front to back I have ever seen. WOW [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] I'm not going to say who I thought was better because that's irrelevant. On a side note though. A guy I talked to backstage said that this is it. I think Dave is off the tour. Repeat this is what I was told by a guy backstage. take it for what it's worth.

To sum the show up in two words.... "Fucking Awsome" [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ August 07, 2002, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: BelmontDrew ]

Last Online

10.22.09 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

[img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img] I could not attend last night's concert because I am a complete idiot. I had free VIP box seats and made the gross error of thinking the show was tonight (Thursday) instead of last night. I went to pick up the tix from my friend at lunch and thoughout our conversation, I learned that I had the days mixed up and couldn't go because of attending a funeral-visitation last night that I definitely couldn't miss out on. (The boss' mother!) I knew the date was the 7th, hell, I must've written it down a few times before lunch and I cannot understand how I came to think the show was Thursday. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! (I guess I couldn't have gone anyway since the visitation started at 7:30!) The tix had to be given back to my friend (I thought about somehow hooking one of the Charlotte Linkers here up with 'em at the last minute), but the tix were from a friend of a friend's boss who demanded to have the tix given to someone that the latter friend would know since they were free. (I know, it's complicated!)Sadly, I probably won't see these two VH icons onstage together until Dave is totally bald and Sammy's in a walker. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

[ August 08, 2002, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: FH ]

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

EffAyych!!!!!!!!!!!! That sucks!!!!!!!!!! Try to go to the VA Beach show Aug. 19th (if the tour is still going) or any of the other dates! It's a must see! Your boss should give you a raise after he recovers.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1,11,wcf,f.w,d.d,84..u.pick
    Favorite VH Song

and the cradle will rock.../ hot for teacher
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i hope the post about Dave being off the tour is not true. If last nights show was any indication, the man could perform forever!!Dave rocked!!!
    he may not move as well as he used to,but he can still perform.He hit the notes last nite and owned the stage from the second he walked out!!
    Sammy was good also,but i came to see Dave!!!and to steal a quote i read somewhere else here,the man made me proud as hell!!Anybody that says Dave couldnt lead Van Halen again,well,you are flat out wrong.
    place was maybe75% full,im guessing,and the crowd was into both bands big time!!great show!!hope all you Roth fans that havent seen the show yet will get your chance. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    first time at amph. , killer place to see a show!!
    i used to have a drug problem,but now i can afford em'...D.l.R<br /><br />let me tell you about dinosaurs....Rick Johnson/creem mag./ review of vh1

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Wow! Where do I start? Incredible evening to say the least. I hadn't seen either performer in almost 20 years. I had seen Sammy open a show for ZZ Top in the early 80s and got to see Van Halen two times in one month on the 1984 world tour.
    Let me say up front that this tour is a win win no matter who is your favorite performer. For me, growing up in the 80s, Van Halen was more than a band, It was a state of mind. When they rolled through town for a show and you didn't show up for school on monday with a tour shirt, you weren't shit. It was an attitude. A lifestyle.
    Having said all that, this is what I saw last night.

Considering it was a weeknight, the crowd was still definitely in a festive mood. Dave hit the stage about 7:40 and let me tell ya he didn't need an introduction. He definitely has put together some gunslinger bandmates. This Bryan Young kid was even better than what I had read previously. They cut through 20 plus Halen tunes and I mean polished. Yeah Dave is twenty years older, but so am I. It was every thing I had expected and more. Watching this set I realized that even if they never reunite, it doesn't matter. The show still goes on. Its kinda like when I saw Robert Plant and Jimmy Page a few years ago, it wasn't Led Zeppelin in the original sense, which I had never seen live, but it was still explosive.
    Sammy hit the stage after a short intermission and did a solid job of keeping the momentum going. I enjoyed his earlier original material better than the Halen tunes. Heavy Metal was killer. Michael Anthony was the salvation of the set. It was good to see him in great form. Truthfully, I split during the Eagles fly thing. By that time I could hardly utter a word. My voice is still trashed.
    To sum it up, I got exactly what I had expected to get. For a few short hours, I was able to travel back in time and ROCK. For me David Lee Roth was and is Van Halen. It was the lifestyle,attitude and state of mind. Thats where I was last night.
    If it were a compitition than the winner would ultimately be the FANS.

(BRAKES IS GONE, WEES FREEWHEELIN) DLR, crazy from the heat.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.27.16 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

First off, let me make it very clear that I am a fan of all eras of Van Halen. I even prefer the Dave-era albums more, but Sam and Ed sure made some great music together.

With that in mond, here are my personal views and opinions of the Charlotte show.

Dave was late in coming out and I think it was because he was somewhat waiting on the sun to go down. The sun glare on the stage would have been killer at 7, even as late as 7:30. Dave came out and dressed basically as he has for over 20 years. His facial expressions throughout his show were something to behold. I have read where others describe his grin as "Vicadin-induced". That's pretty accurate and I laughed as I recognized it as it was previosuly written.

To me, I love the Dave-era music, but standing there listening to Dave's set really made me realize how much of a part the guitar playing "played" in the music. Sure, Brian is a great guitarist, but he was imitating Ed to the letter with his playing. It just made me realize how much of a part Ed really did play in Dave's music. Dave is a lyrical genious, no doubt, but without Ed playing guitar, with Dave singing the lyrics, something was just missing. The Band definitely had alot of energy and played their hearts out.

As for Dave's showmanship, I think his act is old and very dated. The man is really showing his age and his half hearted attempts at his kicks and split at the end really made me realize how much the man has lost physically.

One other thing that I noticed, is that Dave sang his songs with almost anger and aggression. To me, it was like he was trying to prove the point that he was the major player in DLR Halen. His whiskey bottle jackoff was over the top. It really had alot of people kinda looking around like "WTF?". Dave still acts like he is the 1984 Rock and Roll Sex God that he was, and he is not. In a way, I was embarrassed for him.

His voice was decent, but IMHO, he has lost a bit of it.

I make it sound like I am ripping hard on Dave, and maybe I am, but the music is what it is all about and it was great to hear Dave singing live Van Halen tunes again. BTW, I last saw Dave with Van Halen in 1984.

I said this in another post, but based on what I saw last night in Charlotte and Dave's antics, I just do not EVER believe that Ed will share the stage with Dave again. Maybe studio work, but not on stage. Dave will have to seriously act his age before Ed shares the stage with him again.

Sam came out with all of the fire and energy that I have ever seen him have. I last saw Sam live in 1999, and I thought he put on a better show this time than last. Sam appears to be having a blast and only picked it up when Mike hit the stage.

Once, Sam said to the crowd when Mike was there that "There is only one thing that could be better than this..." He paused with his head down, then turned and said something like "Naw, nothing could be better than this right now." I really felt like he wanted to finish his first thought with "if only Ed and Al were here too."

Sam's voice has not changed with age at all. He still has it. He looks to have lost weight and was extremely energetic. He played the crowd and spent alot of time signing autographs of items from the crowd, even during the songs. He messed up once on "I Can't Drive", by singing a verse when he was supposed to be doing the solo...he caught his mistake, laughed about it and picked up his solo.

Sam's solo tunes were really awesome, especially "Heavy Metal". I agree with the previous post about the Van Halen tunes lacking something, and I tend to agree. They were lacking Ed. Vic just does not give Ed's stuff justice, where Brian does.

By the way, Dave never said a word about Sammy or Van Halen in his Charlotte set. Sammy, on the other hand, mocked Dave once by saying "Reach Down between my legs, and ease the seat back" in a low, crusty Dave-like voice during the intro to "Finish What You Started". But, to Sam's credit, at the end of the show during the last song of the encore "Dreams", Sam held up a DLR 2002 TOUR T-shirt and gave a thumbs up. Then, as he was getting his band together for the last bow, he said "Thanks again to Diamond Dave for playing tonight on this stage".

Sam made one slight Ed remark also during the intro to "Finish What Ya Started", he said that there was ONE THING about Ed, that when he put a guitar around his neck, he wasn't trying to bullshit anybody. Then he called Ed "Mike's buddy" and Mike kinda shrugged his shoulders like "What?".

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by weesfreewheelin:
    Wow! Where do I start? Incredible evening to say the least. I hadn't seen either performer in almost 20 years. I had seen Sammy open a show for ZZ Top in the early 80s and got to see Van Halen two times in one month on the 1984 world tour.
    Sounds like we've been to some of the same shows in Charlotte growing up!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.27.16 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Me, too. VH played Charlotte on 2-1-84, then returned 2-14-84. Incredible.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Was that Sammy show (opening for ZZTop) the one where he had a wrecked car onstage?

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Was that Sammy show (opening for ZZTop) the one where he has a wrecked car onstage?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I was at the show in Charlotte last night. Dave and his band were good but the band seemed to be imitating note for note each of the early VH songs on the albums. I was glad to hear the old stuff. Dave is in great shape but his act is ala 1970's. He gives me the notion that he is an "Austin Powers" type who just woke up out of a 1975 eternal high in 2002. That "getup" he was wearing was ridiculous.
    Sammy and his band totally kicked ass! He knows how to entertain a crowd. It was obvious who the better singer and performer was. If EVH is into the $$$ he will get DLR back and tour. If SH re-emerges it will be to make music.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by Contrails:
    If EVH is into the $$$ he will get DLR back and tour. If SH re-emerges it will be to make music.
    Well said, unfortunately.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah,to make safe pop-rock music that can be played right next to janet jacksons black cat.
    Dave will give them their edge back.
    Or else he will put out a killer album with the dlr band.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Originally posted by BelmontDrew:
    On a side note though. A guy I talked to backstage said that this is it. I think Dave is off the tour. Repeat this is what I was told by a guy backstage. take it for what it's worth.

good. hopefully dave will be back in 5150 and the band will finally get off their collective asses and do something for once and for all and end all this shit.

..though as usual i will not hold my breath [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw