Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

If you went to the June 11th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a bad ass show! I went to the opening night 2 weeks ago and let me say Dave has already bettered himself(if thats possible). He just flat out rocked! And they did "D.O.A.", I didnt expect that at all...he pulled that outta his ass. Anyway one thing I gotta say here....yes Im a diehard Dave fan....but when I saw Sam the last time he did rock the house. But as several people have said the whole tits and ass thing is a bit much. I mean look at it this way, I love tits and ass just as much as the next guy, but this is a more than middle aged guy up there with a wife and KIDS. He comes off looking like a dirty old man. Where as Dave is a class act, I mean yea he does the whole Jerking the J.D. thing, but thats about it. Sammy for fucks sake do your own thing stop trying to OutDave, Dave! So anyway I think no matter who closes they are the winner of the night, I guess I was just lucky enough to see Dave close both nights I went. Every thing was very solid for both acts, although Sam's sound was poor, but we all know that. It seems like since the last time I saw the show Dave has changed a few things, like the whole microphone on the crotch thing, he just didnt do it as much. So maybe he is reading the board and trying to adjust to the fans....fat chance...but its a good theory.
    Well as everyone else has said...GO SEE THIS SHOW....even if your a casual Sammy or Dave fan, its just one helluva great Rock Spectacle. Dont miss out this may be your last chance.
    "That's easy for you to say, your Mr. White, you got a cool sounding name."

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going along with what the last post said, it may just depend on who closes but damn was DLR amazing. Don't get me wrong, Sammy put on a good show, but he must just kill momentum on purpose with Eagles Fly and other slow stuff. As soon as the crowd was rockin, he gives into the Monster Ballad. -Ex. the girl in the row in front of me (yeah you in the VIP section in front of the front row of section G) decided to take of her shorts and show off her bright blue thong and everything around it while Sammy was rockin. Next thing I know, he slows down the pace, and down she sits, putting her shorts back on. In contrast, DLR had the fans standing the entire time and rocked non stop, from song to song. In summary, this ticket is a must for any rock fan. But when it comes to rockin' from beginning to end, DLR definitely wins this one in a KO. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I don't feel tardy

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a quick question for those that went to this show -

Did Dave do his classic toe touch jump off the drum riser and was he doing his normal kicks and moves on stage?

If so, this would put to rest the rumor over in the rumor mill that says he wants to cancel the tour due to a groin injury!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To answer your question...YES. He was in prime form. I thought he was more active at last nights show than opening night. And they have just added new dates so I think it is probably just a rumor.
    "That's easy for you to say, your Mr. White, you got a cool sounding name."

Last Online

11.18.12 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dante37:
    To answer your question...YES. He was in prime form. I thought he was more active at last nights show than opening night. And they have just added new dates so I think it is probably just a rumor.
    Thanks for the reply, Dante37!!

That should put that rumor to rest!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Can't wait for the Buffalo show!!!!!!!!
    Hoping Dave closes!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

In Simple Ryhme & Take Me Back
    Last Online

10.20.17 @ 02:27 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts

Well here goes:

My wife and I went to the show. I am a die-hard any era VH fan. She likes Van Halen as well, but not near as much as I do. She is more familiar with VH after Dave. I've never seen Dave before tonight, but had seen Sam with VH during OU812, FUCK, and Balance. I also saw VH during III.

Anyway -- Sam complained way to much about playing during the sunny hours. He sounded good and it looked like the band was having a good time. The audiance was not standing very much, there were many empty seats.

Dave -- Oh my God -- it was phenomenal. He blew the audience away. I did not see any evidence of a scripted environment. The Band was incredible. He did jumps (the rotated high kick) more times than I could count. He did the jump of the drum riser touching his toes. He did the baton twirl. He did the jack with the Jack. I was surprised to see that it wasn't as retarded to see live as it sounds when you read about it.

My wife was floored. She said afterward that Dave is just one of those people that have' "it". He is the total package. He was prepared -- Body, Hair, Voice, Stage Precence -- everthing was there. Normally she dislikes him. This concert opened her up to saying that VH needs to get Roth back. Before she said they needed Sammy.

Dave kicked his ass -- plain and simple.

As far as Dave's voice. I heard the high screams, and yowls as you hear in the songs.

He did not say " Look at all the people", or Hey pal I gonna f your ...".

He left out the liners. He connected to the audience. It was flat out amazing.

It was the highlight of my year.

Go and see it.

Later,
    PAL

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OH MY GOD THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

The time is now 7:25 and the video screen lights up. It is about a ten minute video that is kind of Sammy in an interview setting talking about different things he has done during his career
    The time is now about 7:25. The video screen comes on. It is about a ten minute video of Sammy in an interview setting talking about all the things he has done throughout his career. It also shows plenty of clips of his videos and such. I did not…I repeat, did not get the feeling that I was watching a commercial for Cabo Wabo Tequila. As soon as the video was over, Sammy started rocking, and he did indeed rock. I don’t have the setlist, but thor does. It was pretty much the same set list that I’m sure you’ve all seen, only he replace Little White Lie with Let Sally Drive, and dropped Right Now, which made the encore Heavy Metal and Dreams. The Waboritas were very good. Victor Johnson is no Eddie, but I don’t think he wants to be. He did a really good job on all of the Van Halen songs. He even had some of the solo licks in there. The only major disappointment was the solo to Finish What You Started which was really pretty lame, but other than that, Victor played really well, as did the rest of the band. Mona’s and Victor’s backup vocal were excellent, and Sammy’s voice was on fire. He hasn’t lost a thing in his old age. He hit every high note in every song (even Let Sally Drive), he was very energetic, he played quite a bit of guitar, he looked to be having a great time. The T&A video during Poundcake was a bit over the top, but it was a nice distraction. Also, the tequila bottle shaped piñata was pretty corny. He should think about leaving that on the equipment truck in the future. He did about 4 upbeat kickass songs, then went into Give to Live, which did kind of kill the momentum, but he picked the momentum right back up and went with it. At the end of Sammy’s show, my friend and I looked at each other and said “Dave’s gonna be hard pressed to top that.”

Guess what,

Dave didn’t give in that easy. He had no fancy stage show, no props, just him and a band that if you closed your eyes, you would have sworn that it was Van Halen up there playing the classics. From the second that Hot For Teacher started until the end of Jump, the place just blew up. Dave didn’t do a whole lot of talking. He just rocked the place. How did his voice hold up? Better than I expected it to. He actually sang most of the time, and I’m not sure he forgot any of the words. Even if he had, you wouldn’t have noticed because everyone in the crowd was singing every song. He did a few spin kicks and one half hearted jump off the drum riser, but for a man in his late forties, you can expect to see Air Dave anymore. Again, the crowd interaction was at a minimum. He didn’t do any of the pre-rehearsed “I’m gonna F#%& your girlfriend” stuff. His classic scream was a bit quieter than it was 20 years ago, and he didn’t do it near as often, but every song was like a firecracker with a short fuse and the crowd exploded on every one.

It is impossible to determine who was the better showman last night. They both had many factors in their favor.

Voice: Sammy, hands down. He sounds exactly like he’s always sounded.

Stage Show: Surprisingly, I have to give this to Sammy too. He was more active throughout his set, and he interacted with his audience a whole lot better than Dave.

Song Selection: Dave wins. Those classic Van Halen songs were meant to be played live in front of thousands of people and last night was no exception.

Crowd Response: Dave also wins this category. Like I said above, those songs were meant to be played live and the crowd ate it up.

Both bands were awesome in their own right. The Waboritas are very tight. There were no “bad” songs. Some were better than others, of course, but nothing was really bad. They did a great job on the Van Halen songs, without doing a carbon copy of them. Dave’s band was a carbon copy of Van Halen, and a damned good one. It was one helluva show. Well worth the price of the ticket (and that’s saying a lot).

Incidently, there was no trash talking or badmouthing of any kind. The only time Ed was even mentioned was during the intro to Finish What You Started, and even then, Sam didn’t really bash him. He just told a story of how the song came about (be it true or not, it was kind of funny). Sammy said nothing about Dave, Dave said nothing about Sammy. The only thing Sammy said, is on his way off stage he said “You should see us night.” I’m sure he has a point. I imagine that whoever goes on last is gonna be the most memorable but they but put on one fantastic show.

For the record, Sammy didn’t wear his pajamas. He wore what looked like a pair of dirty red softball pants and a red loose fitting shirt. Dave wore black leather pants and suspenders.

If you have a chance to see this show, by all means go and see it.

I almost forgot, I don’t know what the capacity of the Polaris is, but it was damned near there last night. The entire pavilion and at least 90% of the lawn was jam packed by the end of the night. Don’t count on getting your tix at the last minute, they may just not be there!!! But do go see this show.

It’s true what everybody has been saying when asked “Who won last night?” The true winners are the fans.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1984 & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HEll YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1984 & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

HEll YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

The show was amazing!!!

HAGAR: I thought his set was fun, good set list, could have dropped Eagles Fly though (a lot of people looked like they went for beer during that song!) HE did do a lot of talking...a little too much...but hey it was cool. What bothered me was, how he reminensed with being with Eddie Van Halen...like he missed it! WEIRD?!?!?! The songs were fun, good, I didn't care too much for Vic's improvising on some of the VAN HALEN songs... BUt HAGAR was great!

ROTH: fucking kicked ass all over the place!!!!!!
    OMG!!! I have only seen live VHS tapes of Roth in his prime...and have been jealous that I was a little to young to see Roth w/ VH in the 80's.
    I could have sworn that VH was playing up there starting at 9:30pm.
    His band was so tight and on cue. Roth was singing like he was in his 20's again. The set list was VH classic!!!!!!!!! BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM..one after another.
    He didn't screw around in his set and show...which made it awesome!!!!!!!

FINAL: Roth vs Hagar.........ROTH!!!!!!!(and I love them both!)

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was the hands down winner on this night. Sammy was good. He was in fine voice and his band was tight. Vic Johnson played some tasty licks. At times though the show felt like an infomercial for Cabo Wabo Tequila and that got old. There's nothing I enjoy more than lots of nude women, but Sam didn't need to use so much of it. Let the music do the talking Sam!!!!!!! That's exactly what Dave did. I've seen DLR several times but never has he been this inspired. His voice was in fine form, he was in terrific shape and he completely won over the crowd. I thought his interaction with the crowd was fine. You don't have to say the name of the city over and over or wear the local team's jersey...all you have to do is give the people what they want and that's what Dave did.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1984 or FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top of the World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yes, the closer won.

I've never seen Dave on stage before, saw sammy on the Balance tour and always prefered his voice/writing with Van Halen.

Also, being as anal retentive as I am I wanted to hear the songs in the order they came out: Dave, then Sammy.

But Sammy probably has more musical talent than Dave, so Sammy can do his own thing and do it pretty well. Unfortunately Sammy's probably the most tallented musician in his band.

Dave was smart to bring a band that sounded pretty damn much like Van Halen. The crowd was totally in to his SANS Halen act, that took everybody back to 1984. The crowd sang every word of every song in Dave's set, but only the VH songs and Mas Tequila and the chorus of 55 for Sammy.

I was on the lawn in the center and it seemed like about 2000 more people showed up for Dave's set.

I enjoyed Sammy, but Dave REALLY rocked. I think it basically came down to the quality of backup bands. If sammy were singing his VH tunes with Dave's band I'd be praising Sammy's show today.

finally, if anyone has a set list from that night I'd appreciate it if you'd post it.

az!
    ***************================ <br />* * * * * * * * * *============== <br />***************================ <br />* * * * * * * * * *============== <br />============================ <br />============================ <br />============================

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here’s the set list.

Sammy’s Set List:
    Red
    Runaround
    There’s Only One Way to Rock
    Give to Live
    Top of the World
    Why Can’t This Be Love
    Poundcake
    Finish What you Started
    Eagles Fly
    Let Sally Drive
    I Can’t Drive 55
    Mas Tequila

Encore:
    Heavy Metal
    Dreams

Dave’s Set List:
    Hot For Teacher
    Panama
    And the Cradle Will Rock
    Mean Street
    Dance the Night Away
    Runnin’ with the Devil
    I’m the One
    You Really Got Me
    Beautiful Girls
    So This Is Love?
    Atomic Punk
    Little Dreamer
    (Oh) Pretty Woman
    Yankee Rose
    Ice Cream Man
    Everybody Wants Some
    D.O.A.
    Unchained
    Ain’t Talkin’ About Love

Encore:
    Jump

The placement of D.O.A. may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure all the songs are there.

Last Online

08.11.17 @ 05:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by azoric:
    yes, the closer won.
    There seems to be a trend here.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Prages:
    Here’s the set list.

Sammy’s Set List:
    Red
    Runaround
    There’s Only One Way to Rock
    Give to Live
    Top of the World
    Why Can’t This Be Love
    Poundcake
    Finish What you Started
    Eagles Fly
    Let Sally Drive
    I Can’t Drive 55
    Mas Tequila

Encore:
    Heavy Metal
    Dreams

Dave’s Set List:
    Hot For Teacher
    Panama
    And the Cradle Will Rock
    Mean Street
    Dance the Night Away
    Runnin’ with the Devil
    I’m the One
    You Really Got Me
    Beautiful Girls
    So This Is Love?
    Atomic Punk
    Little Dreamer
    (Oh) Pretty Woman
    Yankee Rose
    Ice Cream Man
    Everybody Wants Some
    D.O.A.
    Unchained
    Ain’t Talkin’ About Love

Encore:
    Jump

The placement of D.O.A. may be wrong, but I’m pretty sure all the songs are there.
    WOW, Dave did D.O.A.?????? Koool!!!