Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here's the analogy: ya know when you've got a great steak (say a fillet) and you cook it just right....you don't need to put any steak sauce on it. ya don't need to sprinkle it with seasonings and such......... it's good as it stands all by itself. that's what i have seen during the three shows i've been to so far.

roth is just coming out and performing songs with a ton of energy and charisma, and the crowd loves it. anyone who it posting shit that the crowd liked hagar more is simply lying to the readers on this site.

hagar has resorted to using every little gimmick and trick in the book to get the crowd to respond. bringing mike anthony out, mixing drinks on stage, having old foogies standing on bleechers, having local strippers serving drinks, taking childish shots at eddie van halen, having ted nugent and kid rock introduce him, .....folks this is the kind of cheap, cheesy, 'all flash/no substance' crap that hagar once accussed roth of doing. what's he doing up there?, a small time carnival act or a rock n roll performace.

my point is that if the music and the performer are good enough, THAN IT DON'T NEED NO SAUCE ON THE SIDE BABY!! it reminds me of the sneeky little insurance salesmen who needs to hide his bullshit behind the gold cufflinks, gold tie bar, gold tie tack, gold tie chain, etc . . . you eventually do get to the 'center' and/or the essence; and what i saw from roth was a whole lot more 'essence' than hagar has. judge it based on 1)the songs, 2)the energy, 3) the crowd reaction, and 4) the voice. roth wins all but the 'voice'.

finally, what sammy did in detroit (by milking the red wings game result) was the cheapest, most obviously desperate thing i've ever seen a rock n roller do on stage to get crowd approval; and everybody else at the show was saying that too.

a message to sammy: just please sing the songs with that great voice of yours and try to let 'that', and 'that' alone, do the talkin' - we're not stupid, we can see the little tricks before our eyes.

a very loyal van halen fan.
    TX7081040

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

If you got that worked up over what Sammy did in Detroit, and what he HAS been doing since he left VH, make sure your travel plans never include a Sammy-date in St. Louis!

By the way, how is this any different than DLR doing a lot of this schtick with the same old lines and on-stage banter?

I'll agree to a point...Sam could tone down the in between banter a bit. However, DLR could take a few notes on this and at least acknowledge the audience that just paid $65 per ticket to watch him...and that means a little more than ejaculate Jack Daniels all over them.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i forgot to mention that sammy pretended to play a fuckin' trumpet that finally exploded with some bullshit fireworks..................can you say "bananrama"? my God. it was embarrassing having to watch that ........i felt sorry for him.

case closed.
    TX7081040

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

But did you have a good time?

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TX7081040,

Dave says your check in in the mail.
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Last Online

09.26.07 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Why not just enjoy the show? Sammy is having the time of his life up on the stage, and it sounds like you think he's doing everything to get all the attention. It's a rock and roll concert, he wants the audience to have as much fun as possible. Lighten up.
    "It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice." --Ron Burgundy, Anchorman

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

foogies rule!!!!!

can i hang up there with 'em at the gorge?

i'll take the strippers and drinks too... don't want to burden anyone who doesn't appreciate them.... [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

This guy REALLY hates Sammy. LOL. I don't think anything Sammy could have done anything onstage that would have impressed you.

I think Sammy interacts with his audience very well, and that's exactly what he did. I like that he talked about the Red Wings; I liked that he read ALL the banners that were thrown on stage in Detroit; I like that Ted Nugent & Kid Rock introduced him; I like that Nugent jammed with him at the end of the show; and I like that he wore a Red Wings jersey for almost half the event. To me this is Sammy "connecting with his audience." And that's what defines a good performer....one that connects & relates to his fans. Kudos to Sammy for putting on a great show.

And for that matter, Kudos to Dave for doing this tour. The two of them have done something the Van Halen brothers have failed to do for years....perform awesome music to their legions of fans.

[ June 03, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Ineedalogin ]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ineedalogin:
    And for that matter, Kudos to Dave for doing this tour. The two of them have done something the Van Halen brothers have failed to do for years....perform awesome music to their legions of fans.
    that's what i'm saying, the hell with the who's winning BS...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.10.06 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ol Diamond Dave Saturday night came out trying to do his spinning kicks and almost fell on his ass! He pretends to spew Jack Daniels all over people in the front row! [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] Then he tried riding a light machine thrusting his jimmy into it. Then he twirls a kendo stick on stage(real impressive) . Plus it seems like he rushed through every song he played.

Don't get me wrong I loved the show. I thought both Sam and Dave sounded great. Just get off Sam's back.
    Red Rocker Face Down in Cabo!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't hate sammy. i truly respect him. his a great song writter and has an awesome voice. he's a little to whimpy for my tastes, but hey; so what.

i just feel as if most of this board is a little too in love with sammy and too down on dave. alot of the review/critics stuff is just plain wrong. i've seen three of the four shows so far and i'm telling you the crowd was going wilder during roth than hagar - the real VAN HALEN vibe belonged completely to roth, i'm sorry. let's face it, fucking Danger Kitty could figure out a way to get the first 15 rows of fans to scream and yell about something. but there's truly a certain vibe that is Van Halen - it's more than applause or screaming; you'd know it if you knew vintage van halen. i just think that roth is coming to the table with basic, fundamental performances and hagar is using a few too many 'smoke n mirrors'. you have to admit that everybody is getting on hagar's case for the "infomerical" feel of his set - come on, at least admit that.

i don't hate sammy hagar!!! i just know my blood pressure and heart rate is three times higher when roth is playing; and whatever you wanna call that 'van halen' feeling - it's far more present for roth, that's all.
    TX7081040

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

SINNER\'S SWING
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey cabo5150

it's funny how you point to the one spin kick roth had trouble with......last one i saw him miss was in '91.......

how do ya think sammy would fare???
    TX7081040

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I for one know that the crowd was much more into Dave at Indy. We'll see how the Cincy crowd does tomorrow.

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by TX7081040:
    hey cabo5150

it's funny how you point to the one spin kick roth had trouble with......last one i saw him miss was in '91.......

how do ya think sammy would fare???
    Not so good considering the tripping he did when he was parading around the stage with the banner tied around his waist!
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just kidding. Sam put on a nice show, it just wasn't as much fun for me as Dave's was. The only thing I wanted Sammy to take off was the white bozo wig... and Dave... [img]redface.gif[/img]
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002