Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

If you went to the August 24th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here. No flame wars!

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from
    Last Online

06.17.10 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some random thoughts about last night's concert. And yes, Im a first time poster, but long time lurker.

First, Dave. I didn't know what to expect from him because of the widely differing reviews I'd read here. But he put on a good show - from where I was located (back of the amphitheatre on the first floor) I'd say easily 95% of the crowd was on their feet the whole time. It took Dave all of about 10 seconds to break out his first "Dave-ism" - "Look at all the people here tonight!" He then went into HFT, Panama & the rest of his set. He definitely doesn't have the best voice I've ever heard, but the band helped him a lot and it translated into a good performance. Again, I was pleasantly surprised at how well received he was. The crowd ate up the old VH, every single song. I didn't think so many people would know the more obscure tracks like "Atomic Punk", but everyone seemed to. For those who say Dave should include more solo stuff, I say no way. To me Yankee Rose was definitely the low point of the set. First of all, it sounded like a train wreck. Both Dave and the band seemed to absolutely butcher the song. Second, even if played perfectly I think it would sound weak compared to the VH material. Just out of place.

Dave seemed to go out of his way to relate to the crowd, stopping several times to talk or tell little stories. He stopped during one song to remark about how he loved the East Coast, and he spent a lot of time here as a kid, working at concerts and fairs, and how it reminded him of America (maybe because we're in America?). It was cool enough, but I thought he actually talked for a little longer than he should have. And of course, he did the usual "hit on the women in the front row" thing. (Advice to Dave: It may not be true, but at least let us maintain the fantasy that you have better romantic options than the 40 year old mother of three standing next to her overweight insurance salesman husband). And I think the forgetting the words deal is either A - an act, or B - a product of the two bottles of JD he was working his way through. He also seemed to be having some sort of trouble with his mike stand. Roadies kept bringing it out, and he kept bringing it back. At one point he got mad and just threw it over the speakers backstage. Not sure if it was an act or not, but the people around me got a kick out of it.

Dave's band was incredible. People may kill me for saying this, but if you would love to see the classic VH lineup back together playing live, go see this Dave show. I've seen VH several times live, and I don't know that they would reproduce the songs any better than Brian Young & Co. did. I'm not saying Brian is Ed's equal, because Ed created the songs, but Brian has learned from him very, very well. Close your eyes and it sounds like VH. The only thing different would be the guys you see standing up there. And for better or worse, Roth is always going to sound like Roth. For this concert, that was good enough to get the job done.

On to Sammy - totally different show and atmosphere. Comparing Sam and Dave musically would be unfair. Sam can really wail on guitar, and his voice is unbelievable. Never sounded better. He goes on a little too much about the party stuff. Yes Sam, we know you smoke pot and drink a lot. Whatever. Just play the songs, dude, without reminding us what a party animal you are every 10 minutes. I digress, though. The Waboritas are a talented band, but you can tell they aren't a band that was created to play VH. To me, the VH songs sounded like VH Lite (especially Best of Both Worlds). Right Now sounded great though, as did the Sammy material. Dave's band is a hard rock band, where Sammy's band is a let's have a party band. Both are great at what they do.

Sammy talked a lot about how cold it was - it didn't seem that bad to me, but then I don't live in Hawaii. He laughed at himself for wearing his traditional shorts and Cabo Tshirt when everyone else had heavier clothes on. In fact, he came out for the encore in his heavy "post-concert" green "Sammy" robe and kept it on for half of "When It's Love".

Overall, everyone seemed to have a great time. And it struck me that as much as we like to pore over the fine points of how voices sound or how people look, the bottom line is whether or not the show rocks and people have a good time. Like Ed has said "If it sounds good, it is good." If it rocks, it rocks, and if it works, it works. Both shows rocked in their own way.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WELL IT'S THE DAY AFTER THE SARATOGA SHOW....I'VE BEEN A LONG TIME VIEWER OF VH FORUMS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST MESSAGE.A LITTLE BACKGROUND:THE FIRST ALBUM I EVER BOUGHT WAS VAN HALEN 1....I WAS HOOKED BEFORE I EVEN TOOK OFF THE WRAPPER!!!!HOWEVER, I NEVER GOT TO SEE THEM IN CONCERT.I WAS PISSED OFF, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER VH FAN, WHEN THEY BROKE UP. DESPITE THAT, HOWEVER , I WAS OK WITH THE VAN HAGAR ERA. I SAW THEM TWICE IN CONCERT, BOTH TIMES WERE GREAT. I ALSO SAW VH3 AT SARATOGA WHICH WAS GOOD AND GARY SANG OLD VH REALLY WELL....BUT IT JUST DIDN'T LOOK RIGHT...WHICH BRINGS ME TO LAST NIGHTS SHOW.I THOUGHT THE ENTIRE SHOW WAS AWESOME. FIRST DAVE: I TELL YOU WHAT, I HOPE I CAN BE IN THAT GOOD OF SHAPE WHEN I GET THAT OLD....I HOPE I DON'T ACT LIKE HIM??.....BUT HEY THAT'S DAVE,MORE POWER TO HIM. OVERALL HIS SHOW WAS GREAT...THE SONGS WERE GREAT...YEAH I WAS A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED THAT HE FORGOT THE BEGINNING TO ATBL, BUT HE MADE UP FOR IT IN THE END.AND LIKE MANY OTHERS I REALLY WANTED TO HERE UNCHAINED (MY WIFE AND I WERE INTRODUCED AT OUR WEDDING RECEPTION TO THAT SONG) BUT JUMP WAS A GREAT ENCORE. THE BAD PART OF HIS WHOLE SHOW WAS THAT HE SEEMED SO DISTANT FROM HIS BAND,I'M SURPRISED HE EVEN KNEW THEIR NAMES,HE DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE HE'S FRIENDS WITH THEM.....AND HE ALSO SEEMS TO BE TALKING AND INTERACTING WITH HIMSELF...AND SOMETIMES HE APPEARED TO BE SINGING IN HIS OWN LANGUAGE...IN EWS, HE SAID "I'M LOOKING FOR A MOO-PEEEE" NOT QUITE SURE WHAT THAT IS...ACTUALLY IT REMINDED ME OF CHRIS KATAEN'S CHARACTER ON SNL,THE GUY THAT NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE HELL HE'S SAYING, BUT JUST KEEPS YELLING.............BUT OVERALL HE WAS GREAT ...IT WASN'T 1984 OR EDDIE, ALEX, AND MICHAEL.....BUT I'M CONTENT...................................AND NOW FOR SAMMY...HE WAS GREAT TOO..AND HIS VOICE IS INCREDIBLE...BUT IT JUST DOESN'T LOOK RIGHT...IT IS A PARTY BAND, BUT THEY JUST DON'T LOOK LIKE A BAND THAT SHOULD BE PLAYING VH.AND LIKE DAVE,HE'S IN GOOD SHAPE FOR HIS AGE TOO.....SOMEONE SAID HE WAS FAT AND OUT OF SHAPE????????...ANYWAY, I WOULD HAVE RATHER HEARD RIGHT NOW INSTEAD OF WHEN IT'S LOVE FOR AN ENCORE.....OVERALL, I DON'T HAVE MUCH ELSE TO SAY ABOUT SAMMY OTHER THAN GREAT SHOW......I WOULD DEFINITELY GO SEE EITHER ONE OF THEM AGAIN...TOGETHER OR SEPERATE....AS FAR AS A REUNION????I THINK BOTH SINGERS ARE PAST THAT POINT...THEY'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT...HOWEVER, I AM LOOKING FOWARD TO DAVE AND SAMMY PRESENTING THAT AWARD..THAT SHOULD BE REAL INTERESTING??? WELL, I'VE RAMBLED ENOUGH THANKS FOR READING, EVERYONE TAKE CARE.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by FISHBOWL 13:
    WELL IT'S THE DAY AFTER THE SARATOGA SHOW....I'VE BEEN A LONG TIME VIEWER OF VH FORUMS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST MESSAGE.
    For your second message, please turn CAPS OFF

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome, awesome show!!! I saw it opening nite in Cleveland, and it's definitely improved up to now!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Dave's set was basically the same, though he talked a little more, especially during 'Ice Cream Man', which was cool. He definitely seemed more confident and 'on' than in Cleveland.

Sammy blew me away completely, and this is my 3rd time seeing him. The setlist was FANTASTIC. While I always like 'Eagle's Fly' and 'Give To Live', people were saying it was a setlist killer. He didn't play them, keeping it a really upbeat, party atmosphere the whole time. 'Finish What Ya Started' was a highlight for me. He told the story of Ed knocking on his door early in the morning, wanting to write the song, but the way Sam told it made it so much cooler. Some have said that 'When It's Love' was a downer as an encore, but I strongly disagree. That got the biggest response of the nite as far as im concerned. Oh, he also played 'Right Now' in the middle of the set, which I didn't think he was doing on the leg of the tour. It was the hardest version of the song I've heard yet. He always slows it down, takes out the electric guitar or something, but this was a kickass rocker.

Near the end of 'Dreams', the let the people in the bleachers come down in finish out the song with the band, which was really cool to see, and a great ending to the nite. I can't wait 'till next weekend in Buffalo, I get to see Mikey play too! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody get me a doctor
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just got back from the saratoga show and it kicked ass mainly because of sammy. i'm am 20 year old who never got to see dave with van halen but after tonite i really wish i saw him in the 80's. Dave opened the show with Hot for teacher and from the start the mix was terrible. You could hardly hear brian young's guitar clearly during the intro. During the rest of the set it improved a little but never enough where you could hear everything clearly. His band played the songs tight but they lacked the energy to get the crowd into it. Dave had barely any crowd interaction except for his rap where he threw a couple lines at a girl in the front row and poured some JD on a couple people. the worst letdown of the show was him forgeting the first verse of ATBL and skipping right to the chorus. To me thats one of his signature songs and it sucked to only hear him sing half the tune and his guitarist only played the first solo and then they ended the song. The setlist was tight and i was impressed by the shape he was in and the sound of his voice. Again i've only seen him live on video before today and i expected him to sing out of key 50% of the time. It was the same show that he did in 82 with all the same lines and stunts. But whatever its still diamond dave and it was fun. Sammy on the other hand kicked his ass. His band sounded tight, vic johnson didn't play the VH solos the same which is good because it shows how original he's trying to be. Sammy interacted with the fans constantly and he kept the crowd into the show. he started with ska doobie (i think thats what it called) an then played like 3-4 vh songs right after each other with barely any BS. he played 3 lock box, heavy metal and i can drive 55 and every solo song the crowd sang and got into it. it seemed like sammy was having a heck of a lot more fun than dave. Overall the show was well worth it and both singers were fun to finally see. I would check it out if you can
    "Why behave in public if you're livin on a playground"<p>Van Halen 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Enjoyed your reviews guys....and thanks for leaving out all the Sam Vs.Dave crap!!
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Song

hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i went to the saratoga springs show- 2 days after the hartford show- and i have to say - the saratoga springs concert was so much more enjoyable... after all the sam vs. dave debate during and followoing the hartford show- i was downright depressed... that just fucked me up... but i felt so much better after the NY show- just an entirely different crowd of people altogether... the show itself didn't seem much different to me- but it felt like the audience just went to see both the guys and their bands and to just enjoy the evening without all the rivalry bullshit- everyone stood through all of dave's set, cheered loud- laughed at the stupid things- and enjoyed the great things... dave sounded great at times- and not so great at times- but overall- his show was awesome(again)... and i definitely didn't feel that lousy vibe that i felt after the hartford show... people really can ruin a good thing- and after that show- i really felt like the "sam and dave tour" was just a bad idea all around... just an excuse for a fight and a place to bring out bitter feelings and the worst side of people... just the opposite of what van halen has always meant to me... but at the saratoga show... to me- it was more of what van halen was originally about- fun, good times, hanging with cool people, and just awesome, loud, kickass rock and roll- the kind that you never forget... i hope everyone else got that vibe and had an awesome night like i did... -peace...

[ August 26, 2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: 55starfire ]
    zach sanders<br /><br />"My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land"