Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

www.launch.com
    NEWS - Hagar And Roth: Tour Partners, But Not Necessarily Friends
    05/30/2002

(5/30/02, 3 p.m. ET) -- Even without a catchy name like Sans Halen or Sam & Dave, former Van Halen frontmen Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth launched their summer tour together on Wednesday (May 29) near Cleveland. The unexpected tour has united two men who engaged in intense verbal sparring in the mid-'80s, when Roth left Van Halen and Hagar took his place.

However, Hagar tells LAUNCH that just because they're touring together doesn't mean they're friends. "Well, I don't necessarily like this guy now. He's just entertaining to me. If it weren't for the fact we're doing this tour, we'd never, like, be friends, hanging out," he says. "He'd wouldn't be a guy I'd call up and, 'Hey man, what are you doing tonight? Let's get together and go out and hang.' He's just a whole different kind of cookie, man. He's not anything like I am. The only common bond we have was, 'Hey, we're both two extremely successful versions of Van Halen. We both were kind of stabbed in the back by the brothers.'"

Edward and Alex Van Halen have not publicly commented on the Roth/Hagar tour, which continues Friday (May 31) at the DTE Energy Music Theatre in suburban Detroit.

-- Gary Graff, Detroit

www.mtv.com

CUYAHOGA FALLS, Ohio — The pervading feeling between dueling former Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar may never be love, but fans showed a lot of it Wednesday at Blossom Music Center.

Vintage Van Halen T-shirts peppered the fiery crowd. Fortysomething women fashioned the Van Halen symbol with their hands as they shook their shoulders to songs such as "5150" and "Panama." A group of teenage boys wrote with marker "f--- Eddie" on their arms, referring, of course, to VH guitarist Eddie Van Halen.

The admiration was mutual between the crowd and Roth and Hagar. Mop-haired Hagar opened the show at 7:15 p.m. — the singers are alternating set order during the tour — with a video retrospective that included interviews, clips of magazine stories and Van Halen photos. It hit a snag midway through, and kicked back to the beginning of the film. When it finished, a curtain was drawn to allow a select number of fans to stand on risers behind the band in an effort to maintain Hagar's tradition of creating a club atmosphere onstage.

Bathed in red lights, Hagar kicked off his set with the apropos "Red."

"We're gonna turn this whole f---ing place red," screamed Hagar, who was wearing a yellow T-shirt from his Cabo Wabo club that said, "Got Tequila" across his chest. He quickly went into the Van Halen hit "Runaround," which prompted the sea of fans to collectively mimic Hagar, who was whipping his arm around in a circular motion.

At times, Hagar was a little too chatty between songs, often using long stories to segue into the next tune.

"It's still daylight and I'm going to get drunk," Hagar said. He yelled "Waitress!" and in response, a scantily clad woman arrived onstage to pour him a margarita. "It's my first of the day, so make it a double," he instructed.

He coaxed the woman, a "calendar girl" from a local radio station, to imbibe with him momentarily. "It's OK to drink on the job. As a matter of fact, it's mandatory."

After wrapping up "Top of the World," Hagar admitted that he was somewhat nervous.

"I didn't know what to expect today because, well, you know why," he said, referring to his tempestuous relationship with Roth. "All I got to say is this is: f---ing killer. This is the sh--. That's what I'm talkin' about. Waitress!"

Hagar took a potshot at Eddie Van Halen, who is now reportedly healthy after receiving treatment for cancer. Among the groups of fans onstage was a cardboard cut-out of the axeman, whose head the red rocker smacked after saying, "You don't have nothin' to say? Didn't think so."

He further revved up the crowd by hitting a Cabo Wabo Tequila bottle piñata with his guitar after singing "Mas Tequila." When the bottle opened, a mop-haired green worm popped out.

Vocally, Hagar rose above a hoarse-sounding Diamond Dave, who needed a bit of polishing. Hagar's voice soared to impressive heights during songs such as "Eagles Fly," "Dreams" and the closer, "Right Now."

Roth was the antithesis of Hagar, who used videotapes of topless women at one point as a backdrop for his show. The flamboyant original VH frontman opted for a more "artsy" approach with his videos, repeatedly showing different variations of cat-suit-wearing women and an armed Roth searching the halls for those unknown. Interspersed with those scenes were shots of Roth doing martial arts.

He couldn't measure up to Hagar's charisma, however. Aside from a few kicks, Roth exchanged personality for shaking his spandex-covered lower body toward the audience. His stage banter was minimal; he let his body and lyrics do the talking for him. Roth, who botched the words to "(Oh) Pretty Woman," used a bottle of Jack Daniel's to mimic a sex act and, upon "completion," splashed the liquor on fans sitting close to the stage.

Using suspenders to keep up his spandex pants, Dave ended his set with a martial-arts-style, baton-twirling number during an instrumental part of Van Halen's hit "Jump." He bowed with the stick tucked under his arm, looking like a majorette in a high school band.

Van Halen fans' "Sammy vs. Dave" battle clearly had a winner Wednesday night: Right here, right now, Hagar was on "Top of the World."

Sammy Hagar set list:
    "Red"
    "Runaround"
    "Three Lock Box"
    "There's Only One Way to Rock"
    "Give to Live"
    "Top of the World"
    "Why Can't This Be Love"
    "5150"
    "Poundcake"
    "Finish What Ya Started"
    "Eagles Fly"
    "Little White Lies"
    "I Can't Drive 55"
    "Heavy Metal"
    "Mas Tequila" encore:
    "Dreams"
    "Right Now"
    David Lee Roth set list:
    "Hot for Teacher"
    "Panama"
    "And the Cradle Will Rock"
    "Mean Street"
    "Dance the Night Away"
    "Runnin' With the Devil"
    "I'm the One"
    "You Really Got Me"
    "Beautiful Girls"
    "So This Is Love?"
    "Atomic Punk"
    "Little Dreamer"
    "(Oh) Pretty Woman"
    "Yankee Rose"
    "Ice Cream Man"
    "Everybody Wants Some"
    "Unchained"
    "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" encore:
    "Jump"

—Christina Fuoco

[ May 30, 2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

Ed and Al should read this article. It doesn't take best friends to create great music. It may help in the process but it isn't the law. Just listen to Fair Warning when Ed was pissed at everything. Great guitar album.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Dave stuff
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t just have one...
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find it interesting that fans mostly dug Dave, and some of the critics think Sammy was a clear winner in the Battle of The Frontmen...
    "I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing<br />quite well for themselves." - Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead)

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    I find it interesting that fans mostly dug Dave, and some of the critics think Sammy was a clear winner in the Battle of The Frontmen...
    Which tells you one thing... Critics are usually full of shit. But really, most people went there already thinking that their favorite front-man was the best. I doubt that anyone who already had a favorite, changed their mind. That critic probably couldn't name two songs from Fair Warning.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

used to be MTV couldn't wait to get a hold of a new Dave video, or interview him...now, all they do is take shots at him. they helped make him what he is, at least by running all that stuff...it's almost like they use Dave as an example, like "hey, we made you, and we can bring you down, too." but MTV takes more credit than they deserve...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by The Full BuD:
    I agree with the critics when it comes to the music. I have seen VH and Van Hagar live numerous times. The band SOUNDED much better, crisper, and tighter with Hagar. On the flip side, the party was much better with Dave.
    LightBulb5150<br />I bring things to light.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That MTV review sounds like a load of shit to me, and it sounds like the writer has something against Dave and wants to try and make him look bad. From the sound of everyone's reviews though, it seems that the crowd went NUTS for Dave because he was kicking ass musically and vocally and that his band was extremely tight. I saw Dave in Philly, he and the band were phenomonal, I know, I was two feet from the Stage Barrier Dead Center in front of Roth. Well the rest of the tour will show us. And we all here will be able to judge for ourselves how each of thme perform.

I NEED SOME EAST COAST DATES!!!!!

Notice that BS writer only mentioned two ROTH/VH tunes by name(1 because he said Dave "botched" the words ) and spent 75% of the article on Sammy and mentioned most of the tunes Sammy did in the article....sounds biased to me....

[ May 30, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you guys kidding? Critics everywhere have always raved about the first 6 records and laughed at the last 5, four from Hagar. Now the tables have turned, and I find it interesting. I am 23 and for all intents and purposes, didn't grow up with either era. I was a grunge baby, so logic would say I would prefer Dave-era as opposed to the 80's-style of VH served up by Sammy, of which grunge was meant to destroy. Not so, while I love both era's, I am a bigger Sammy fan.

Sammy is a much bigger man, a better singer, easier to get a long with (like I know for sure, but come on!), and is FAN oriented, while Dave is not. Dave makes you laugh, and he was the original frontman, but when that's all you have, talent will eventually shine through. And Sammy is mroe talented, and harder working. It's about time it goes noticed by the critics.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

RIGHT NOW
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's easy to see that eveyone on this board has a favorite singer in VH. It's also very clear that any time someone goes to see their man he is alway in great form ,sounded great, rocked the house. If Dave or Sammy came out and sang ABBA tune for an hour everyone would still claim their man won. But as soon as a third party gives an opinion its pure bull shit. Whai i beleive is that Dave will never sound as good as Sammy and Sammy will never be the showman that Dave is, hey some people like apples some like oranges. Why fight it out when you got the whole basket of fruit right in front of you. ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO,NO,NO DON'T TAKE EM OFF

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't in Cleveland, but I sure as shit will be at the Universal gig in L.A. (possibly both nights), and I'm expecting the Diamond one to beat the Red Rocker like a new drum on Xmas morning, Ah!
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

01.19.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts

I have one word to say about that review: FEMALE

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Von Halen:
    I have one word to say about that review: FEMALE
    read ya loud n clear bro...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I heard a sound byte from Sammy on local radio supposedly after the show last night and he was saying he had already had enough of Roth's antics. He mentioned something along the lines that he'd never be the kind of guy he would call up just to get together for drinks. I wonder if he's rethinking his decision in touring with Dave after only one show. The radio station made it sound like the tour isn't going last.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Unchained
    Last Online

01.28.16 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Lovemachine, you should stay clear of those blue pills for a while bro! They're fucking up your ability to think clearly.
    John 3:16, Can You Dig It?

People, the 6 wings of the Mighty Van Halen will fly again! Can You Dig It?

You gotta give more than you take! Can You Dig it?

And underneath the arch, it turned into a march,
    and there He found a spark to set this fucker off!
    Set it off, set it off now children,set if off!

We are down the road! I Can Dig It! Can You?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by WARHEAD:
    Lovemachine, you should stay clear of those blue pills for a while bro! They're fucking up your ability to think clearly.
    I don't see that I said anything untrue