Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always preferred the DLR era of VH, but I really think DLR fucked up big time not jamming with anyone on this tour.

When I heard that DLR and Sammy were hitting the road together, the first thing I thought about was the encore jam. Maybe do a trade off song like "Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers" but according to Sammy, Dave nixed the idea.

Since then, Sammy's brought out Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and now Michael Anthony How could Dave NOT invite Mike up to jam when his setlist is almost entirely VH?

Sounds like Sammy is going to "special guest" DLR into the ground.
    Fast Eddie

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

i believe the question should read...

why is no one jamming with dave?

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tomato, Tomato...
    Fast Eddie

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

maybe dave is attempting to show people his show alone speaks for itself.. Don't get me wrong. I'm fuckin' lovin' it that sammy is bringing out special guests, and if he reads these messages, KEEP IT UP [img]smile.gif[/img] haha But, dave migt be trying to show people that the music speaks for itself, and needs nothing extra. I think thats what he is going for anyways. The bare stage, and rips right through the songs. The only problem i have is his lack of solo material. I would love to hear, a little ain't enough, california girls (it was a hit man ), goin' crazy, just like paradise, and so many others.. M it in with the vh, to show that he did have some tight tunes after van halen. I dunno, just my opinion.. Bottom Line. Dave is about playing in his own band, and sammy is and will always be a jam person.. Even when we was in vh, he would occasionally have a guest performer. He just knows so many rockers, that he likes to have fun.. Its just wo dfferent styles.. I respect both, so i know i will enjoy very show!! Keep it up guys!
    "And my loves got no rain check baby!"-DLR

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Dave runs a scripted show, and isn't the type of improvisational performer that can do a free-form jam.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner\'s Swing-Top Jimmy
    Last Online

10.19.07 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally think that Dave is a little afraid to have Sammy up there with him on the same stage at the same time. If Sammy one ups him on hitting the high notes, Daves ego would get bruised. Sammy plays the guitar well, Dave strums one tuned to an open E chord. Now I know that it doesn't sound like it, but I love Dave. I actually prefer Dave way over Sammy. On studio recordings. But Dave live is a whole other story. I've seen him live at least 10 or 11 times, and its always the same, talks the lyrics, instead of singing them, leaves out a lot of the words, etc. I met Mike Anthony on the last tour, cause we were staying at the same hotel. We sat at the bar for an hour and talked about all kinds of things concerning VH. I was really kind of shocked at his responses. He never really slagged any one, he just told the truth as best as he could. He said that Dave in the studio was a perfectionist, (no surprise here) and having him on the 2 songs, (Me Wise Magic, and CGTSNM) was killer. He said the only problem was that it took forever to get the vocal takes. To Dave's defense he had been out of shape a little, but Mike said it was a little frustrating. It made him wonder how Dave would be on the road. They gave up trying to get the patended Dave scream that he use to do on the old records. The scream he does now is kind of irritating. First of all, Mike Anthony spilling his guts to an unknown fan was very odd I thought. (maybe too much sun, he was out there a long time). To me, he was probably just frustrated. I feel sorry for him in a way, cause most of the attention is always around the brothers or whichever singer is at the helm, (or not). You could tell he wanted to talk though, and he was a very nice guy. I talked about how much I enjoyed his bass playing and backing vocals, which are by the way a very huge part of the classic VH sound, and he was very pleased to hear it from a fan. If you ever get to meet the guy, you will find that he is a fan just like us, he just happens to be in the band. Eddie was nice, but very shy. He gave me a pick though, and a cigarette which I didn't smoke of course. Al was not there, and Gary was sleeping. Eddie wasn't feeling well and you could tell it, but very nice. They were pleased with Gary at the time anyways but we all know how that went. I did tell Mike that Gary was doing a good job on the old tunes live but I missed hearing Dave, cause in a weird kind of way, even Dave's live blunders are kind of cool. I would pay big money for another studio album with the original line-up, as would millions of others.
    "Be yourself, even if you have to fake it"

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Dave runs a scripted show, and isn't the type of improvisational performer that can do a free-form jam.
    I'm not so sure. I think Dave could improv with the best of them. But for some reason, he won't, and it comes off badly. When you play these huge places, you can't just race through a set...it alienates the audience that's so far away from you. You've got to take steps to get closer to the audience, talk to them and listen to them. Dave's only interacting with the first few rows...
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

I think it is inevitable that Dave will have some kind of impromtu jam with Sam somewhere along the line, and it will probably involve MA. I hope!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think, at some point, Dave and Sam will try a song or two. They're still 'getting to know' each other when it comes to how each operates onstage.

And they'll never really be friends so it might just be an issue of time; some more shows until Dave warms up to the idea.

Gonna move this to Opinions/Speculation.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."