Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

If you went to the June 25th show, please feel free to add a reply with your review here.

Let's try to keep this thread for REVIEWS ONLY, and not for discussion. That way, it will be easy for people to read them.

If you want to discuss this particular show, just make a new thread for that.

Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.23.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was there at last nights show too. Even though I've never been a big fan of Sammy he put on a good show. Like Valdez44 said, drop When Eagles Fly! Even though it was nice to sit down it took another 2-3 songs to get the crowd back into it.

Dave did a much better job than I thought he would (just with they would have pumped the audio to the same level as Sam's) Can't say anything else that hasn't been said.

The only question I have is if Sam could bring out all the chicks on stage why didn't the Dahm triplets! They were on the side of the stage, looked great would have added to the show!
    "I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Women In Love
    Last Online

01.29.08 @ 09:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave opened. Awesome guy with great tunes but he's getting tired and a little campy at times (JD bottle, repeating the same old lines). I'd love to see more energy from the guy. He could drop-kick Sammy if he wanted to but he doesn't seem interested in much more than swaggering around. It's the Dave of 2002 I guess. His voice was great and the songs sounded killer. He had great sound. Another great show for us die-hard DLR fans.

When Sam asked Mike "Don't you have anything else to do?" Mike replied "Fuck You!" (jokingly). That's what prompted Sammy to say "happy to have you Mikey" a minute later.

Sammy was ridiculously loud and the sound was for shit in my opinion. Great show, good mix of tunes but too damn loud to the point of distortion.
    "F!*^# the concert...Let's go across the freeway and get a drink...whadya say" DLR at the 1983 US Festival. I was there!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH II (at the moment)
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky (at the moment)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Attention: Do not read my review if you are one of the thousands of negative posters, or Anti-Somethings-about Something about VH.

For the rest of you, I have only great things to say. Last night I had the honor of being about 20 feet from Stage at Universal.

Dave came on first and ripped. I admit, I was mostly blown away because I spent to much of my damm time reading the negative crap that predominantly appears here and on the other VH related chat rooms. What the hell are you people talking about? Dave is a champion. Dave sang his ass off, no "talking through songs.." No crowd interaction? Bullshit. He totally had us all engaged, made eye contact etc. He was an absolute professional, and he for damm well sure was enjoying himself. He really new, he really was consious of what his target audience wanted to hear, and man did he deliver. His band rips. I get to see Brian Young a lot living in LA, and last night man was he on! Dave has heart, he is on top of his game, and he enjoys what he does...I will say he is damm ready to front VH again *more on this thought later. SO in summation, DLR's set was a rocking, mind blowing experience, I got to see songs I couldnt have seen when I was 5 in 1981, played extremely well. Say what you want about him getting older, etc. etc. well screw you all, he IS older, it aint 1982, so suck in your fat guts and throw away your egos and go have some fun and see this show...again! One more thing, as we cheered Dave off the stage after his 3rd encore, I saw, I was close enough, I swear I saw love in his eyes, he was really touched by all of us thanking him. I appreciated that from him.

Now for Sammy. The video was NOT arrogant, it was really really cool, it really got to the heart of what Sammy has done with his career, and anyone would be a fool not to recognize his heart and tenacity and talent. The show opened with Red, and just continued to kick ass. It was so much fun. Im telling you, Sammy too, what a professional. He owned the damm venue, he is so sincere about throwing a party, and that is what I was feeling. I felt like I was at a kick ass rock n roll fiesta. The sound was way louder (I can not hear a thing today, and can I just say Sammy rips on guitar. Vic sounded great, the whole band just really seems to enjoy each other, and the crowd. When Mikey came out on stage, I felt so overjoyed. You wanna know why, because I was close enough to see that he was overjoyed...he was. He made every effort to engage the crowd, made eye contact, smiled, and waved. He loves Sammy, and that is apparent. They looked like brothers up there, hugging and kissing, and kidding around...and I dont know about you people, but VH to me is like a family...and it was heart warming to see them care for each other like that.

I know I have not been specific as to set lists, etc. All I can say is that the overall experience was amazing, there were people of all colors, young, and old, tatooed, pierced, normal, wearing wigs, half naked, in suits, etc....but everone in that place had a huge smile on their face all night long. Everyone had a good time. It was so nice. Its an important word NICE. Because in the end that is how I felt, my expectations were blown thru the roof, and I felt lucky to have been there. A surprising realization came to me this morning.
    I STRONGLY FEEL THAT ANY REUNION WITHOUT BOTH DAVID LEE ROTH AND SAMMY HAGAR WOULD BE UNFAIR, UNJUST, AND ERRONIOUS TO THE BAND, THE FANS, AND TO ROCK HISTORY. VH HAS MADE HUGE MISTAKES IN THE RECENT PAST, EDDIES HEALTH PROVIDING...NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING SHOULD GET IN THE WAY OF THIS TOUR BEING BACKED BY EDDIE, MIKE AND ALEX. IT WOULD CEMENT VAN HALENS PLACE IN HISTORY.
    Roth: I've always been academic. I've trained in martial arts since my 12th birthday. I like contact sports, history books and the fine art of ridicule and sarcasm. I can gang-sign the alphabet and I own a Mercury low-rider. I am a black man trapped in a Jewish body.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's for the honest review Visco28. I can't wait to see the tour when it comes to Camden,NJ.
    The one question I have, is if Mikey goes on w/ Sammy, why doesn't he do the same w/ Dave? Do you think the brothers have instructed him not to interact w/ Dave?

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This was a great post, Visco. Thank you for your angle. That's refreshing.

It was the second night at the Ampitheater last night, and I enjoyed it very much.
    Dave was a firecracker, and I too saw a lot of emotion and humanity in his eyes.

Sammy did a great show, and showed elegance when he dropped his guitar to run after a stage helper who was going to throw out a drunk dude that had jumped on stage. Instead, Sammy had the drunk guy settled on one of the bleachers, where he went on, shaking his fat gut for the rest of the concert. That was a class act on Sammy's part!

To me Dave won again, but there's nothing objective about my judgement, so get your ass to a concert near you and enjoy yourselves.

Note: I got to shake Zakk Wylde's hand. He was standing in my aisle the whole time, wearing his Black Label Society colors. I was very honored to meet him briefly.

[ June 26, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Canyon Carver ]
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH II (at the moment)
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well FLYERS26, I dont know what the deal is with Mike. From what I saw last night, he was playing with who he wanted too. I imagine there are many issues if he were to play with Dave, in fact, I can imagine that would put extreme pressure on the Brothers to take action and put the band back together. I know for sure he loves Sammy, and that their realtionship has always been strong, it was evident last night, plain for all us thousands to see. So...who knows.

Canyon Carver, I am so jealous you met Zakk! I love that guys work, and he has the most stage prescense I have seen in a Heavier Metal Guitarist(easy! Not counting Eddie!)

I loved it too when Sammy saved the guy from being thrown out, most rock stars would have merely shouted, or claimed to be upset, Sammy litterally droped his guitar while plugged, in and exited stage right...came out with the guy and made sure he was comfortable and left alone. Also, did you all notice that at the end of the show NO ONE in the band, not even Mike was the least bit annoyed by the people groving, hugging, touching etc right on stage? Amazing. Really amazing.
    Roth: I've always been academic. I've trained in martial arts since my 12th birthday. I like contact sports, history books and the fine art of ridicule and sarcasm. I can gang-sign the alphabet and I own a Mercury low-rider. I am a black man trapped in a Jewish body.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Went last night (25th) and I thought I'd give a review from what might be a slightly different point of view than some...

Short history: Got into VH during the Sammy years, then found Dave. Loved both. I have been one of those guys who have defended Sam over the years. I came to the show not knowing what I'd think. I also Brought my Brother who DOESN'T KNOW MUCH VH. I was interested to see his opinion.

Dave opened:
    My overall view - he was great! I've read the talk about his voice, but I thought it was strong. I have a bootleg video from around 82 and if you're honest, his voice never seemed to be a great live voice. I was very suprised last night. Little Dreamer was beautiful.

1st high point- Mean Streets. The energy of the UA kicked up on the intro, and Dave started get into it more.

2nd high point- Runnin with the Devil. The crowd actually went OOOOOHHHHHHH! as it started. Most sang along.

3rd high point- Everybody Wants Some. This has never been a fav of mine, but the energy it hit was awesome. This is what rock is all about.

I was struck by how genuine Dave's delight seemed to be. I really think he is enjoying himself, and the applause from the fans.

Sammy Next:
    I've loved Sammys stuff. "Good Enough" is one of my favs of all time. I've got to say though, his stage presence isn't quite what Dave's is IMHO. When he came out, it just seemed like I was seeing a great band, not a legendary rock group. I do like the way he interacts and moves. A good showman (although much of it is a routine).

1st high point- Anthony joining him. It did raise the energy level.

2nd high point- Dreams. Great song and the crowd finally was jumping.

We left at 11pm (during "Eagles"). At that point we'd only heard 2 VH songs from Sam.

Final Quick Takes:
    Dave's guitar player was awesome. I didn't care for Sam's. I know he's a good player (I've played for 7 years), but here is the problem: If your going to play EVH/Hendrix/SRV, you better bring it. Sam's guy sounded like a bar band player. No way he could follow the first set.

IMHO, the way to rate an act is "How did they entertain"? Does Sam have more range, Yes. But Dave's is just a classic voice. A question I asked myself this morning: Would I want to hear Sam do "Runnin" or "Mean Streets"? Not really. Would I want to hear how Dave would sound on some of Sam's songs (the ones he could actually sing)? Yes.

AS FOR MY BROTHER, his comments were: Dave's guitarist rocked! He ain't as limber as he used to be (I'm sure he remembers the Jump vid). He's in great shape. Rocked his head to most of Dave's set. Commented on how "Anthony looks like he was SO happy to play". Yeah, let's jet (at 11pm during Sam's set). It was LOUD.

The biggest feeling it left was how much it sucked that it wasn't a 2.5 hour show with Eddie, Alex, Anthony and Dave.

But I must say thanks to both Sam and Dave for putting ego's aside and giving VH fans a treat. I had a great time.

LD

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH II (at the moment)
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OH OH OH- I forgot to mention Dave's "Little Dreamer" was incredible. He sang the whole thing with SO much feeling it was totally unexpected. His eyes were closed, and he was so sincere...it was really trippy, and really dark.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by visco28:
    Attention: Do not read my review if you are one of the thousands of negative posters, or Anti-Somethings-about Something about VH.

For the rest of you, I have only great things to say. Last night I had the honor of being about 20 feet from Stage at Universal.

Dave came on first and ripped. I admit, I was mostly blown away because I spent to much of my damm time reading the negative crap that predominantly appears here and on the other VH related chat rooms. What the hell are you people talking about? Dave is a champion. Dave sang his ass off, no "talking through songs.." No crowd interaction? Bullshit. He totally had us all engaged, made eye contact etc. He was an absolute professional, and he for damm well sure was enjoying himself. He really new, he really was consious of what his target audience wanted to hear, and man did he deliver. His band rips. I get to see Brian Young a lot living in LA, and last night man was he on! Dave has heart, he is on top of his game, and he enjoys what he does...I will say he is damm ready to front VH again *more on this thought later. SO in summation, DLR's set was a rocking, mind blowing experience, I got to see songs I couldnt have seen when I was 5 in 1981, played extremely well. Say what you want about him getting older, etc. etc. well screw you all, he IS older, it aint 1982, so suck in your fat guts and throw away your egos and go have some fun and see this show...again! One more thing, as we cheered Dave off the stage after his 3rd encore, I saw, I was close enough, I swear I saw love in his eyes, he was really touched by all of us thanking him. I appreciated that from him.

Now for Sammy. The video was NOT arrogant, it was really really cool, it really got to the heart of what Sammy has done with his career, and anyone would be a fool not to recognize his heart and tenacity and talent. The show opened with Red, and just continued to kick ass. It was so much fun. Im telling you, Sammy too, what a professional. He owned the damm venue, he is so sincere about throwing a party, and that is what I was feeling. I felt like I was at a kick ass rock n roll fiesta. The sound was way louder (I can not hear a thing today, and can I just say Sammy rips on guitar. Vic sounded great, the whole band just really seems to enjoy each other, and the crowd. When Mikey came out on stage, I felt so overjoyed. You wanna know why, because I was close enough to see that he was overjoyed...he was. He made every effort to engage the crowd, made eye contact, smiled, and waved. He loves Sammy, and that is apparent. They looked like brothers up there, hugging and kissing, and kidding around...and I dont know about you people, but VH to me is like a family...and it was heart warming to see them care for each other like that.

I know I have not been specific as to set lists, etc. All I can say is that the overall experience was amazing, there were people of all colors, young, and old, tatooed, pierced, normal, wearing wigs, half naked, in suits, etc....but everone in that place had a huge smile on their face all night long. Everyone had a good time. It was so nice. Its an important word NICE. Because in the end that is how I felt, my expectations were blown thru the roof, and I felt lucky to have been there. A surprising realization came to me this morning.
    I STRONGLY FEEL THAT ANY REUNION WITHOUT BOTH DAVID LEE ROTH AND SAMMY HAGAR WOULD BE UNFAIR, UNJUST, AND ERRONIOUS TO THE BAND, THE FANS, AND TO ROCK HISTORY. VH HAS MADE HUGE MISTAKES IN THE RECENT PAST, EDDIES HEALTH PROVIDING...NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING SHOULD GET IN THE WAY OF THIS TOUR BEING BACKED BY EDDIE, MIKE AND ALEX. IT WOULD CEMENT VAN HALENS PLACE IN HISTORY.
    Great review bro!!! [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Canyon Carver:
    This was a great post, Visco. Thank you for your angle. That's refreshing.

It was the second night at the Ampitheater last night, and I enjoyed it very much.
    Dave was a firecracker, and I too saw a lot of emotion and humanity in his eyes.

Sammy did a great show, and showed elegance when he dropped his guitar to run after a stage helper who was going to throw out a drunk dude that had jumped on stage. Instead, Sammy had the drunk guy settled on one of the bleachers, where he went on, shaking his fat gut for the rest of the concert. That was a class act on Sammy's part!

To me Dave won again, but there's nothing objective about my judgement, so get your ass to a concert near you and enjoy yourselves.

Note: I got to shake Zakk Wylde's hand. He was standing in my aisle the whole time, wearing his Black Label Society colors. I was very honored to meet him briefly.
    That was very kool of Sam to do, and that Fucking ROCKS that you met ZAKK!!!!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from the show. I saw last night too, and this was another great event. Hate to admit it though....Sammy was simply better. He had more fun, and just simply sang way better than Dave. Dave is still good. One cannot deny the music that he performed. To say it wasn't good would be a lie. Great songs, and his band...damn... pretty darn close. However, Dave is just trying too hard to be the Dave of 20 years ago....and it ain't working for me. Still loved him, and thought he did a great show...but his band are really the ones who shine. If you dug his set, you should really check out the atomic punks sometime.

Mike jumped on stage again with Sammy, and looked like a little kid in a candy store. Never seen Mike and Sam have so much fun. It was pretty funny after Mike came on stage, sammy said, "Mike don't you have anything else to do?" And mike replied an emphatic "Hell No!" It was just great seeing them on stage together again. As a matter of fact, Mike seems to enjoy the company of all the Waboritas. Can't blame the guy, he hasn't done much in awhile.

Sam should still drop eagles fly even though I love the song...it just kills his momentum. But it does give everyone a chance to use the restroom or get a refill of their fav. drink.

All in all a great show. Highlights for Sammy, his voice, and having Micheal Anthony on stage, plus he just has way more fun.

Highlights for Dave....a killer guitarist, his "I forgot the fuckin' words" line during, so this is love.

The losers....sadly......Ed and Al
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.26.07 @ 11:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the annecdote. Zakk was standing in the aisle, at the very top of my section, and looked on with a smile on his face the whole time.
    The ushers kept coming to him and giving him shit for standing in the way. He would just play dumb for a while, then slowly move back to his section. Three minutes later, a fresh beer in hand, he would be standing in the aisle again! That cracked me up. I saw that happen at least three times!
    I didn't want to bother Zakk since he was enjoying himself so much, so I just said hi and that was it. I didn't want to get in his face like a slobbering goober.
    During Sammy's last song he rallied up his friends and pulled headed for backstage (I heard them mention that).
    My first time in the spotlight was from a helicopter.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Van Halen II, Fair Warning, 1984, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave was the man!
    Sammy IS the man!!

Both kicked ass. Dave's got one bad-ass band behind him and played all the faves. Brian Young is the star of the show in my humble opinion. I can't help but feel a strange sense of bittersweet-weirdness watching Dave's grotesque face as he strutted around the stage. He seemed a bit bored at times... However, he did put on a good show and I am glad that I got the chance to see him in person (was too young in the early VH years).

Sammy rocked. He has a tremendously positive vibe. The Waboritas rocked. Vic Johnson is an excellent, kick-ass guitar player, and Mona is an under-appreciated basist/singer. She has the greatest team spirit imaginable, stepping aside to allow Mikey a chance to shine in the spotlight with Sammy. Speaking, of Mikey: Was there anyone happier in the house last night than him? He looked as if he had died and gone to heaven. As for Sammy: Well, what can I say? He is the best. He has fun. He is an exceptional rock-singer. He shreds on guitar. He has an immense number of songs in his catalog. There is ALWAYS going to be a song or two missing that fans will want to hear. That is unless Sammy starts playing 3 to 4 hour gigs, a la Springsteen. I can go on and on. You think I'm biased? Well.... I am. I grew up listening to Sammy sing, and I can't think of a better rock & roller to salute than him. The greatest thing is that he is real. He is you. He is me. He is everyman....

Long live The Red Rocker!
    Long live The Waboritas!!
    Red-Heads Rule!!!!!!!!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave rocked.

Sammy - like Avis - is #2, so he tries harder.
    Look at me, I'm a famous historian - outta my way!