Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How would people feel (especially Americans - but everyone) if the US says to the Taliban "You have 48 hours to turn over Bin Laden or we start bombing". And the Taliban says "ok, we didn't know what he was doing but we are shocked. Here he is along with his commanders - put them on trial".

Appealing as it might sound to torture him on live TV, the US would have to put him on trial. The laws of the US and the Geneva Convention demand that.

How would America deal with the prospect of a inevitably long and complicated legal action, and the moral dilemma (if there is one) of visible military retribution.

Not that I think it's a particularly likely scenario - I'm pretty much at a loss about what is likely to be honest.

[ September 15, 2001 at 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is NOT a police action or a legal action. Treating it as such would be an open invitation for MORE attacks, and the rest of the world would laugh at how weak we've become.

It's too late for diplomacy or law. Our enemies have no concept of those things. The families and friends would be well within their moral rights to hunt down any/all politicians and lawyers who would try such a thing and put them on a trial of their own.

This is WAR; not a trial. We caught Al Capone, the undisputed #1 Mafia kingpin of his day. 60-odd years later, the Mafia is stronger and wealthier than ever.

Putting one of their leaders or all of them) on trial or in jail during the trial would simply inspire their subordinates to do something to break them out or force their release.

I think even involving NATO is a mistake at this point. All this 'globaloney' replaces common sense with wishy-washy WUSSY bullshit.

The terrorist actions require large-scale death and destruction, lest the US become an easy target forever. When a bully takes a poke at you at the playground, and you run home to mommy, you are FOREVER doomed.

This calls for blood. Lots of it. Humane or not. You don't win a war without it. We lost in Vietnam because of the failure to use proper force. If our 'allies' don't like how do our business, fuck them.

A trial would be a pitiful joke, and a TERRIBLE misjustice to the victims, their families, Americans everywhere, and the western world as a whole.

This isn't about one or two men, or even one or two countries. Just remember Al Capone.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

At this point Jonathan even if the Taliban turn Bin over to the the States, it wouldn't matter.
    The Taliban is just as guilty for hiding Bin as long as they have.
    Further, one life isn't anywhere near enough retribution for the 1000s lost. If this were the case, any yahoo could bomb the fuck out of anything and turn the "leader" in, and walk away relitively easily.
    Like Abe said, there needs to be a demonstration to the world that the US will not tolerate any kind of BS like this, and unfortunatly it's going to have to cost many lives.

Isn't war fun [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ September 15, 2001 at 11:50 AM: Message edited by: homeunit ]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't think it matters whether they turn him over or not. we and our allies have already decided it's time to declare war on terrorism. i see bin laden as just the match that was struck to start the fire.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The Geneva Convention doesn't apply.

US laws don't apply.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeL:
    The Geneva Convention doesn't apply.

US laws don't apply.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe. But if Bin Laden is turned over and the US bomb Afghanistan anyway a lot of international support is going to disappear. Even the nazis got trials.

Not that I think Bin Laden will get turned over - he's a war hero to those people.

[ September 16, 2001 at 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If they just handed him over, remenants of his organization would still exist.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

The Nazis got trials in order to try and show they government and its actions were illegal, and that the results of the war weren't just victor's vengence.

I don't think there's any question that the actions of the past week are illegal, or that retribution from the US will be vengence for them.

I doubt who ever is fingered will have the luxury of a trial, for better or worse.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If they just handed him over, remenants of his organization would still exist.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course. I certainly don't think that would be the end of the story - "remnants" of his organization are reportedly spread across 35-40 countries.

I think the US response will involve an immediate high profile action and a long term much lower profile action. I'm really referring to the immediate "retribution" as it seems to be called.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
    I think the US response will involve an immediate high profile action and a long term much lower profile action.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I'm not sure there's a way for anyone to avert it, though. This is going to create some interesting blends of police and miltary work. How it'll look in the legal spotlight is anyone's guess.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree. I'm not sure there's a way for anyone to avert it, though.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the inevitability that worries me. The attack was mostly symbolic, it wasn't going to even scratch the capability of the US military despite the attack on the pentagon.

We had a pretty good idea by Tuesday evening what the response would most likely be. Of course there are military options, but some kind of immediate action is really the only option.

You're a miltary guy - surely being put in a position where the enemy is almost dictating your action is not good, even if you have vastly superior forces and firepower. Especially when the enemy has had a lot longer to prepare than you have.
    Delusions of eloquence

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jonathan:
    You're a miltary guy - surely being put in a position where the enemy is almost dictating your action is not good, even if you have vastly superior forces and firepower. Especially when the enemy has had a lot longer to prepare than you have.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Reacting is never a way to win, but I don't think our reaction will be what was anticipated. We've always responded with airstrikes (Libya) or missles (the embassy bombings) and have never been willing to sustain a long campaign.

Whatever the response is, I don't think it'll be just one action. Hopefully the world (not just the US) will support an all out war on terrorism.

How else can we respond? To show weakness would leave us vulnerable in the future. To use too much force might encourage hatered of the US. Where's the balance?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How else can we respond? To show weakness would leave us vulnerable in the future. To use too much force might encourage hatered of the US. Where's the balance?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question - I certainly don't have the answer. I hope Bush and his administration do, I'm certainly glad they haven't shot first and asked questions later.
    Delusions of eloquence

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whatever the response is, I don't think it'll be just one action. Hopefully the world (not just the US) will support an all out war on terrorism.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think considering that 40 nations have been touched by this (I saw this on tv, not sure of the exact context , though) we'll have a good amount of support...or am I being naive again [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~