Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

03.20.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this situation is unprecedented in many people's lives, and the prospect of war has many people scared/excited/curious. I've heard that many people enlisted in the armed forces right after the incident, and I know a lot of people would be willing to go at the drop of a hat.

My point or question here is really for those who HAVE been in the military. What is it like, and what can we expect? What is military life all about? I've always wondered the REAL side of being in the military, aside from movies and what they show on commercials, many have never been exposed to it. Any experiences, please respond.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

My experience in the Air Force was probably somewhat atypical in most respects. I was part of a very small (around 10-12) unit that was on an Army base. That gave us somewhat different roles and responsibilities than most miltary people have in day-to-day life.

Overall, my 4 years were a great experience. Like anything else in life, it had its ups and downs. Most of the people you work with are great, and it's about the most equitable workplace you can imagine.

It can be a lot of work. Very, very hard work. If you've gotta work 16hrs in a day, that's what you've got to do. And be back in when you're supposed to the next day.

If you've got any specific questions, I'm sure seenbad, Brian, BMF, myself, or some other folks can answer them.

I do worry about people enlisting for the wrong reasons, though. It's a very serious commitment. I knew a couple of people that signed up for all the wrong reasons, and had a very rough time of it. Most people in the military aren't out there with a rifle shooting at bad guys. If these folks rushing to enlist are thinking that, many of them are in for a surprise.

I do admire their enthusiasm, though.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

strungout, Mike was right about me being willing to share my military life. I was in the Navy for 6 years and experienced much of what the military has to offer, both good and bad...mostly good. I'd be more than happy to share my experience if it helps you or anybody you know to make a decision either way. Hit me with some questions, either general or specific, and I'll make sure to give you honest and thorough answers based on my experience. I'll write a piece up later to summarize my experience when I have some more time. In the meantime, if you have any specifics, go ahead and shoot. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 16, 2001 at 03:51 PM: Message edited by: seenbad ]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Writing up a piece would be great, and I, as well as others would definitely appreciate it. I'll try to think of some specifics and get back to ya.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK let me step in here for a minute...This is one subject I actually know something about. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    The Military life is not for everybody. If it is not meant for you, you will have a very difficult time trying to adjust to the everyday life. It is sometimes easy but mostly very hard. You work your ass off. You dont get paid very well. I still have friends who are in the service who are married and who have kids and they are on food stamps and the like.
    I was a dependent. My Dad spent his entire life in the Air Force and I went in also. It is the only life I know and now that Im out I hate it. So I went to work for our Government and now life is a little better for me.
    The Pros of joining the Military are as follows:
    1. Depending on your job skill....great education!!!
    2. GI Bill. (Which by the way Congress and the Senate just raised the GI Bill by 70%)
    3. Job satisfaction (Depending on your skill)
    Travel all over the place. (I have been to Japan, Germany, Italy and almost all of out states)
    4. You will make friends for life.
    Cons are as follows:
    1. Pay sucks.
    2. You loose all off your rights. You belong to somebody else now and they can do whatever they want to you.
    3. You'll never have a "Home".
    4. You will work your ASS off.

Overall I really enjoyed my life as an Air Force dependent and Really enjoyed my stay in the Air Force. (I would still be in but I was discharged because of Diabetes) When they told me I had to give up flying status I knew it was over. I was out two weeks later and cried for weeks. It was very hard.

For anybody wanting to enlist please research before you make that decision. I know good people who went in and they just could not handle the military bullshit and they got themselves out with an under than honerable discharge and that screwed them up. They just couldn't handle it. They could'nt handle people telling them what to do, Getting in trouble for the littlest things and the like. So like I said....please research and ask some very good questions.
    One more thing then I'll let you go.....If by chance (and we will) get into a conflict (I refuse to call it a war yet) please support the men and women who are in your Armed Forces. Trust me when I say that they do listen and they do know the pulse of the Nation. If we are to win this thing that in priority number one.
    OK thats all. Im done.
    God Bless America.
    David Tyler Levi

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Great post Carl. ok, now I'll have to do one here...

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

lessee, I was 17 when I signed the papers. actually, I had to have my parents co-sign. I didnt want to go to any more school at the time, and I didnt have a silver spoon either. Military had run in my family for virtually every generation and it was looked upon with honor and respect. I was young and bought into the adventure aspect of it too. I wanted to travel. And boy did I ever! I have been to many parts of the U.S....Florida, Louisiana, Hawaii, and Sandiego for duty, but plenty of time to travel (you get 30 days a year to do whatever you want with) around if you want to, and I did. Travel was free too. Worldwide, I have been to Hong Kong three times, the Phillipenes twice, Thailand twice, Singapore, both coasts of Austrailia (Sydney and Perth), and Aubu Dabi and Dubai in the U.A.E. more times than I even care to mention.

I served on board the aircraft carrier USS Independence (which we lovingly called "endofmypenis") for a majority of my time in, 3.5 years. Thats what allowed me to travel as much as I did. Afterwards, I elected to finish out my enlistment (5 years), as well as my year extension, shore duty in Yokosuka Japan (also where the carrier was homeported).

We were the first carrier to report to the persian gulf during the war. You wouldnt believe how fast we got there. It was a little nerve racking to go throught the straights of hormouthe (however you spell it) at the time. We didnt really know at that point who our allies were and we had Saudi Arabia on our left and Iran on our right with about a 3 mile space of water at the narrowist point.....there must have been at least a hundred of us standing watch with night vision. There were alot of unknowns at that point actually. We didnt really have clear intelligence about Iraqi subs. I slept on the waterline at midship. I would have slept better if we knew for sure. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] We flew hundreds of sorties off that thing and just bombed the shit out of them....didnt take long, as you know. They assemble vehicles over there differently or something because license plates seemed to come off cars fairly easily. On one of the roads out of bhagdad, there were literally hundreds of them from people fleeing, and I still have one in the shop as a souvenier. I could go on with that, but I suppose your more interested in the day to day life.

Well, its very structured I guess. Chain of command is just drilled into you from the git go and you never forget it or loose respect for it. I called managers I worked for sir or ma'am for at least a year or two after I got out just out of habit. lol. MANY people I knew ended up benefitting from that, as well as the common sense of decency the military instills if people.

The people you work with are very important to your moral because you are with them all-the-time. I feel like I was pretty fortunate with the fellas in my department. Yes, you make friends for life there. I still keep in touch with 3 of them from time to time (been out since 96'). One of them is a 300 pound black guy that I call BB..short for BBN..short for big buck nigga. You KNOW we are great friends when you can say that and its not in any way offensive, but just funny. "At sea" periods are something we looked forward to as well as dreaded. We all had salt in us and loved to ride the sea, and enjoyed it. We enjoyed the hard work (yep, it can be hard at times, very), 12 hours on 12 hours off sometimes, 4 on/ 4 off others (time of war or alert). Never less than that (in port periods generally go 4-8 hours to none at all because we work very hard at sea). We usually enjoyed each others company. Played a bunch of cards (I had many 5$ poker lessons [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] till I started hittin it), watched a bunch of movies, and you generally have as much time to yourself as you want. Read a ton of books over that time period. Now, the downside was the pretty much all of the above too. The work was hard, hours long, same people day in and day out, routine. Its just the way of life ya know? All of it has good, all of it has bad. The good news is, you really tend to remember the good more than the bad. And the bad, your proud of getting through, and you have the opportunity to gain in character from it. Sometimes LOTS of character! lol. Sailors are a bit of a different breed. Hard to explain, but there is a common thread amongst us after about 3 months at sea. Many of us didnt get along too well at times, but we were all brothers too because we were all literally "in the same boat". You really get to learn a lot about human nature and yourself in the military. Many lessons learned that I'll never forget, many things about myself that maybe I still wouldnt know. You have a great opportunity to use your mind or let it go completely. The latter is the reason I left the military. There were a bunch of folks that were plain stupid. Those are the people you will work under. Dont get me wrong, they will follow orders and protect the country just fine, but there fuckin stupid too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'ts one job that allows for it in the name of retention. It's easy work to make a career out of, theres a lot of stability, and you just dont need to be too smart. That appeals to folks that are not real excited about excercizing the mind and those are the ones that stay in for life and advance to the level of people you work for. Generally, 99 out of 100 intelligent people get out after 4 years and enjoy the benefits porsche listed above. The food isnt bad, you get used to having short hair (I still get irritated when it goes over my ears), you get used to uniforms, and you cuss a whole lot. Thats how a boat full of men communicate. Its a floating locker room. If its a co-ed ship, its a love boat. No shit. People are getting laid all over the place when a co-ed boat goes to sea. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I enjoyed the feeling of being in the middle of the ocean and looking forward to going wherever it was we were headed. I enjoyed the places we went too (sometimes a little too much [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) I enjoyed most of the people and overall it was a pretty positive experience. There is an adjustment period of course, but its not long. Boot camp is a breeze. Just mind games. Play by the rules and its no problem. Fuck up, you get your ass run into the ground, but its just physical labor. Nothing that will kill ya (believe me, I know because I think they tried a couple times [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). There is a lot of tradition, training, work, friendship, and sense of duty. You have a cause. When conflict arises, your ready. During peace, your getting ready. The military has a job to do...break stuff. Make go boom. Kill. They keep it simple for the most part, and they are damn good at it. None better. Anybody would be better after being a part of it. I did see SOME (but certainly not many), that simply did not have what it took and there life was misery. I've seen some people that are weak in body mind and spirit really get ripped apart because they didnt quite fit....one of the nastier things I learned about human nature and watched first hand. People can be brutal, and ugly. One time there was a guy that just *would not* shower on a regular basis. Thats not a good thing when you are out to see and have to work with each other all the time. He wouldnt do anything about it even after getting ridiculed mercilesly for weeks. One night, six of us put bars of soap in pillow cases and woke him up the hard way. He never failed to shower daily ever again. Thats called making a square peg round. It happens. Sometimes it happens too much. That can be a dark side for some. If you dont get along with people well, I'd not consider it too seriously. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'll take a break and see if ya have any ?'s [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

You guys have posted some great stuff! Still being an active member of the army guard, and having been an enlisted soldier and now an officer, I have many, many opinions myself...Suffice it to say, if I didn't enjoy it, I sure wouldn't have done it for going on 16 years now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Over 17 years on the links!!
    ROLL DAMN TIDE!!
    First time I heard Unchained, I thought the lyrics were...."Blue-eyed mutha in a slashed white dress!"
    STAY FROSTY FRIENDS!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

BALANCE
    Favorite VH Song

AFTERSHOCK
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great stories guys, they are appreciated, and some great reads. If you've got more stories to tell please do, and anyone else out there join in [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

btw, I should be quick to point out that esquiretoo is certainly one of the "one out of a hundred" that are extremely intelligent and decided to make a career out of it. We are very lucky to be able to retain folks like him. The other 99 are the ones that follow his kind of lead. Sure hope you didnt take that wrong man (I dont think you did though). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seenbad:
    btw, I should be quick to point out that esquiretoo is certainly one of the "one out of a hundred" that are extremely intelligent and decided to make a career out of it. We are very lucky to be able to retain folks like him. The other 99 are the ones that follow his kind of lead. Sure hope you didnt take that wrong man (I dont think you did though). [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, i'm a genius, huh? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    ROLL DAMN TIDE!!
    First time I heard Unchained, I thought the lyrics were...."Blue-eyed mutha in a slashed white dress!"
    STAY FROSTY FRIENDS!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

I dont know, but I know you must have a bit of an edge upstairs when standing next to others with equal tenure. Not to judge others, just an observation. Stop being modest and just take the compliment! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by seenbad:
    I dont know, but I know you must have a bit of an edge upstairs when standing next to others with equal tenure. Not to judge others, just an observation. Stop being modest and just take the compliment! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, thanks. btw, i'm pulling a couple of days active duty this week...beyond that, who knows?
    ROLL DAMN TIDE!!
    STAY FROSTY FRIENDS!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Blanket parties... never saw one, but there was plenty of talk about them in basic. There are oddballs that fit in, and oddballs that are made to fit in. Two completely different things.

Air Force basic training is both the easiest and most frustrating thing I did in my 4 years. It boils down to listening closely, and paying attention to details. How do they teach part of that? In making you fold your clothes perfectly. I'll never look at a folded t-shirt the same way.

They also focus on teamwork, and not letting people down. I hated the guy I got paired with for making beds. Hatzenbueler was slow. Not dumb in any way, just really fucking slow. That's something there isn't much room for in basic. I had to work harder just to keep him up to speed, and that was that.

You work all damn day in basic, and never get anything done. You live in fear of fucking up, and dread something as simple as forgetting to fold the toilet paper into a point when you're done.

After that comes tech school, where you learn whatever skill you signed up for. Almost like college, except you wake up every day at 4am or so. We lived in old WW2 era buildings that were showing their age. Hard to keep the bathroom floor spit and polish when the ceiling is falling down, you know? We spent 8-9 hours a day in class, and about half an hour on either side marching to and from. After that we'd be busy with inspections or PT for the rest of the afternoon. The evenings were our own, to a degree.

I was a weather guy, and got assigned to Fort Carson, Colorado. It was a pretty plum assignment, and I was thrilled about it. I went home on leave after tech school, before I went out to CO. While I was on leave I got new orders, to go to Fort Knox. The needs of the Air Force, and all. Talk about being pissed, I was livid. Fort Knox is a hellhole.

I spent the next 3 1/2 years in that hellhole. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Like I'd said before, I was in an oddball unit. Our headquarters was at Fort Bragg, 800 or so miles away. We had quite a bit of freedom in how we ran things. That was both good and bad.

We worked rotating shifts. 3 Days, 2 off, 3 Swings, 2 off, 3 Mids, 3 off. Pretty easy schedule, but those mids have fucked up my sleep pattern for life, I'm afraid. Probably half my posts here are between midnight and 6am.

Being on time was a big deal. If you were 15 minutes late, that meant whoever was on duty was sitting there getting grumpy for 15 minutes. Doesn't seem like much, but it mattered.

It was great work. My job was to record what was going on with the weather. Where else can you get paid to sit and look at clouds?

The work sucked. Our equipment was always breaking, and of course at the worst possible times. You'd have to run out in the middle of a thunderstorm to see how much rain had fallen, and you'd spend the rest of the shift soaking wet and miserable.

Make sense? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My last year or so there was considerably different. We'd gotten lots of newbies in, so my focus was on training them. At the same time, we lost all of our support people. So I inherited the admin office. I knew nothing about filing, and still know nothing about filing. That caused great stress for the folks at headquarters, 800 miles away...

I did manage to fit a ping-pong table in one of the vacated admin offices. This was A Good Thing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There were a few people that didn't understand the idea of personal responsibility. That nearly ruined a good thing for many of us. Thankfully no careers were hurt in the process. What it came down to was too many people not taking the time to know their job. If you know what you're doing, you can take certain liberties. If you don't, you're bound to fuck up.

Like seen said, there were plenty of stupid people to be found. Most of those that I saw were in the Army, but unfortunately my unit was afflicted with one or two as well.

Most of the people I worked with were great, and I'd love to work with them again. I miss my buddies.

I'd not recommend it as a career to anyone, but doing 4 years and taking the benefits will do a person some good. You learn a lot, and grow a lot.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ONCE I WAS A NAVYMAN
    I like the Navy… I like standing on the deck on a long voyage with the spray of the sea in my face and the ocean winds whipping in from everywhere… and the feel of a giant steel ship beneath me… its engines driving against the sea.
    I like the Navy… I like the noises of the Navy… The clang of steel, the ringing of bells… the foghorns and the strong laughter of Navymen at work. I like the ships of the Navy. The nervous darting destroyers, the sleek silent submarines, the plodding heavy cruisers, the majestic battleships, and the steady, solid carriers.
    I like the names of Navy ships: Hornet, Ranger, Enterprise, Iwo Jima, Wasp, Intrepid, Shangri-La, and Constitution. Majestic names for majestic ships of the line.
    I like the bounce of Navy music, the tempo of a Navy band, and the spice of a foreign port. I like the shipmates I sail with… the kid from the Iowa cornfield, a pal from the East Side of New York, the Irishman from Boston, and a drawling, friendly Texan.
    From all parts of the land they come… from the farms of the Midwest, the small towns of New England, the cities, the mountains and the prairies. All are Americans… All are comrades in arms… All are men of the sea.
    I like the adventure in my heart when my ship puts out to sea… and I like the electric thrill of sailing home again, with waving hands of welcome from family and friends on the waiting shore. The work is hard… the going rough at times. But there’s the companionship of robust Navy laughter, the devil-may-care philosophy of the sea.
    And, after a day of hard duty, there is the serenity of the dusk at sea… with the whitecaps dancing on the ocean waves and the mystery of the ocean night. I like the lights of the Navy in the darkness… The masthead lights, the red-green sidelights and the stern lights.
    They cut through the night and look like a mirror of stars in the blackness. There are the quiet nights and the quiet of the Mid-Watch when the ghost of all the Sailors of the world stand with you in the night… and there is the aroma of fresh coffee from the galley.
    I like the legends of the Navy and the men who made them. I like the proud names of Navy heroes: Halsey, Nimitz, Perry, Farragut, and John Paul Jones. A man can find much in the Navy… Comrades in Arms… Pride in Country… A man can find himself.
    In the years to come, when a Sailor is home from the sea, he will still recall with fondness the ocean spray on his face when the sea is angry… and there will always be the faint aroma of fresh paint in his nostrils…and the echo of hearty laughter of seafaring men who were once his close companions… and locked on land, he will grow wistful for his Navy days… when the seas belonged to him… and always just over the horizon, was a new port of call.
    Remembering this, he will stand a little taller and say to himself, “Once, I was a Navyman”.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!