Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

One thing we haven't talked about much yet is how Americans with Arab backgrounds are dealing with this, and being affected by it.

How's everybody feel about this? I worry that we're going to make the same mistake that we made in WW2 with the Japanese. I know at the time people thought those actions were warranted, but I'm not sure we've really learned from the mistakes.

I guess that'll come clear in how we deal with Arab American's now.

I know there've been some reports of people in America cheering the attacks. Do you differentiate between the individual and the whole?

If this topic gets out of hand in any respect, I'll be closing it. I just want to bring this issue out in the open, as we seem somewhat uncomfortable with it in many of our posts. It's hard to reconcile our values with our feelings, I think.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Much as we may want to differentiate between the two, I've always cast a suspicious eye on Muslims, watching how they act, etc., because of terrorism.

I used to work with a bunch of Muslims (from the Indian subcontinent region), some very religious, others who use quite a bit of profanity and are ill-tempered (and also claim to be religious).

Did I respect their beliefs, cultural values? Deep down inside, no (they probably feel the same about me), because many times the only preess they get is bad press. Is it fair? Maybe not, but Muslims as a whole haven't seemed to prove the bad press wrong, either, just my opinion.

Although there's a few people at work who I wanted to slug, too (they're white males)--bossman being one of 'em cause he gets weird about tragedies; almost as if he actually gets off on it. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] He has a real sickly, nervous kind of laugh. Next thing you know he's talking about scars he received while in the Army before Vietnam.

Muslim groups are right to ask people not to lump all Muslims as terrorists, but it's still unavoidable for years to come.

I have a Jewish grade school not even 1/2 mile from my house, and I know there are numerous Muslims, in my kids' school. I'll definitely have to get the local paper over the next few weeks to see how it pans out.

[ September 13, 2001 at 09:28 AM: Message edited by: NE169 ]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

It shouldn't be unavoidable though. We have to get past these damn prejudices, why do you think there is war in the Middle East to begin with. We can't allow ourselves to fall prey further to that. Most people of Arab descent who are here love this country, and that's why they are here. There are plenty of anti-American government whites living here too.

I'm Jewish, and one of my best friends in college was a Muslim guy who was from Pakistan, and went back there after we graduated. He was a great friend, and I hope that if something happens over there, he gets out. He loved this country, would have stayed if his family wasn't of prominence over there.

[ September 13, 2001 at 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Brett ]
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Worthy of note, and I mentioned it in another thread..

The gas station down the street from my house was selling gas at wholesale in protest to other stations price gouging in other areas of the states. I spoke with the owner about it briefly, and he told me "we have already been hurt enough, we should not have to hurt any more". I also mentioned that he will have my business from here on out because of his morals and his actions.

He was of middle eastern descent...
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Dirty Movies"
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good for him Seenbad! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I have a good friend who was born here in the States, but who's parents were born in India. He worries that people will look at him and think he is a Muslim or Afghanistan or whatever, when what her IS is a proud, American, born here in this great nation, yet having 100% Indian blood in his background...
    "Sorry about the mess..."<br /><br />~Han Solo Episode IV

Last Online

01.24.08 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think we can do our part by speaking up when we hear others putting down Arabs in general. ALL of the Iranians, Arabs and others I have known have been peace-loving, intelligent people. The Islamic faith does not teach violence. Just as Timothy McVeigh did not speak for me as a white Christian American, the suicide hijackers do not speak for the Arabs and other Middle Easterners who cannot conceive of the horrors perpetrated. Like terrorism, bigotry cannot be tolerated.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I don't think it was escalate to an all-out internal war against Americans Arabs, at this point, it's logical for us to be suspicious of them. Considering their views, and from what I've seen/heard of going on so far, the bad ones will quickly get weeded out from the good ones, and probably by other Arabs.

While it isn't nice, the 'racial profiling' that is now inevitable is actually another weapon we have against 'domestic' terrorists; the guilty will NOT have a safe haven among innocent, patriotic Arabs, and will stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, the ones that danced and cheered in public over this pretty well gave themselves away and should be dealt with as traitors and deported immediately. Otherwise, if we declare actual war against their people, that dancing and cheering could get them executed as traitors and spies. In this day and age, I don't think we'll be seeing a repeat of WWII.

Ideally, maybe the legitimate Arab people in America will help rat out the bad ones, if they know who they are.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some asshole called Bill O' Reilly last night and said EVERY Arab American needed to be detained just like the Japeenese Americans during WWII. O' Reilly shot his idea down and said it wasn't the right way. It came to me yesterday that a whole new spread of racism would occur and it made me mad because I didn't want it to happen because people are still shocked and will be blind with their hate. I've heard people at my highschool say that EVERY Afghanistan deserved and needed to die. I don't want to see that happen.
    "There's a time and place for everything- for everyone."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawchick:
    I think we can do our part by speaking up when we hear others putting down Arabs in general. ALL of the Iranians, Arabs and others I have known have been peace-loving, intelligent people. The Islamic faith does not teach violence. Just as Timothy McVeigh did not speak for me as a white Christian American, the suicide hijackers do not speak for the Arabs and other Middle Easterners who cannot conceive of the horrors perpetrated. Like terrorism, bigotry cannot be tolerated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>wow, great post. i agree 110 percent. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For you Chi-town Linkers, a guy at work told a few of us that he heard Arab kids in his suburb (Oak Lawn?) had the audacity to go to school yesterday wearing Old Navy T-shirts, with the flag 'X'ed out!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

While these kids certainly have the right to freedom of expression, they better keep in mind other people would like nothing better to do than use their fists to express themselves, too! (Hate crime? yes) Why provoke them?

Shit like this is why it's gonna be hard as hell not to cast a suspicious eye! I'm not saying it's right, or fair, but it's human nature we're dealing with, and instant perceptions based on physical appearance alone most of us have to work at to get past!

[ September 14, 2001 at 09:18 AM: Message edited by: NE169 ]

[ September 14, 2001 at 09:20 AM: Message edited by: NE169 ]
    LIGHT 'EM UP!! <br />Smoke 'em if you got 'em!<br /><br /><a href="http://vhstrungout.com" target="_blank">StrungOut</a> Administrator<br /><a href="http://ClassicVanHalen.com" target="_blank">ClassicVH</a> / <a href="http://diamonddavidleeroth.com" target="_blank">Diamond Dave</a> Moderator

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One of my first jobs during HS/College was cooking in an Italian restaurant where the head cook was of Afghan descent, as well as his kids that worked there. Beautiful people, period. We also had a college student from Iran work with us who was a gentle souls as well. They were always generous, friendly, and well-meaning - they understood what freedom in this country was worth and relished it. I think 99% of Arabs in the country are going to be like that. As for the ones that aren't, I'm not afraid to say that for every one of them, there are 100 American born and bred bigot idiots that are just as much a threat to national security as they may be.

Lal Kakar, wherever you are - bless you for being a good man and a true friend. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Peace, Love, and Understanding.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Apparently in Seattle there has already been mosques vandalized and they arrested some asshole with explosives who planned to blow one up... on FRIDAY, the Muslim sabbath!

These people are so filled with idiotic HATE that they don't realize they have become terrorists themselves. There are a couple of guys at the DLR Army right now who need to be in rubber rooms for the amount of hate they are spewing. One of these fucknuts actually advocated the wholesale slaughter of Arab children as young as 5 because they are "potential terrorists"
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some good that may come out of this (if it can be said)--is that Hyphen-Americans are no longer going to refer to themselves as such--now they want to be known as Americans, plain & simple.

I saw a brief letter on the O'Reilly Factor last night from a lady who longer wants to be identified as African-American, just American.

God Bless Her. I always believed that some people bring divisiveness on themselves in this manner. Every time I see a Hyphen- American, part of me wants them to get out of the country if they're so ashamed of being American regardless of their heritage.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FORD:

These people are so filled with idiotic HATE that they don't realize they have become terrorists themselves. There are a couple of guys at the DLR Army right now who need to be in rubber rooms for the amount of hate they are spewing. One of these fucknuts actually advocated the wholesale slaughter of Arab children as young as 5 because they are "potential terrorists"
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really - I've been lurking over there and some of the rhetoric is scary. Wonder what they propose doing with these guys:
    http://www.aaiusa.org/aboutaai/aa_congress.htm
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Any Song Hagar Doesn't Sing
    Last Online

08.12.10 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Islamic faith actually is based on, and preaches, love and care for one another. The nuts who twist the Islamic faith are nothing more than another example of religion being used by man for his own purpose. Unfortunately, it seems to run rampant in the predominantly Islamic world of the Middle East. Peace-loving, law-abiding Arab-Americans should be left alone.
    "Tardy? I don't feel tardy!"

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!" - DLR

Pride and Glory - the Packer Story!