Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The following appeared in the Foster's Daily Democrat (Dover, New Hampshire) on September 19, 2001:

Fly flag high for the military

To the editor:

This is to the fine folks of the great state of New Hampshire.

Tuesday’s attack cannot be described in words and probably never will be.

America is stunned, but not stopped! We will make it through this!

I am a member of the United States Navy, have been for some years now. I have been around the world and to the Persian Gulf more times than I care to remember.

There are people out there bent on the destruction of the USA. We have ships all over the world and right now, for the first time since WWII, I believe, we are deployed off the East and West coasts of the country we swore to protect.

It is a very strange feeling. I am extremely proud to be protecting the country we swore to defend, but deeply saddened by the reason for it. I would like to reassure you all back home, and the country, that we are on watch and nothing out here will move in the air, on land, on the sea or under it without being seen. My fellow servicemen in the Army, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard are doing the same.

We are additionally assisting the outstanding firefighters and police in New York City and in Washington, D.C., with rescues and recoveries.

Talk about team work! I have never asked for anything from anyone in regards to my profession. I volunteered.

I now would ask one thing of you all; it’s not much but means the world to the U.S. military. Fly the flag. Fly it high!

God Bless America

Gary A. Black

Norfolk, Va.

Now there have been plenty of letters in plenty of newspapers the past week, but this one took me by surprise - this letter was written by my brother. I haven't been able to see him in a couple of years - they weren't able to make it to my wife & my second wedding and he's never met jack007. But a few weeks ago we had planned to drive to upstate new york to see my wife's brother graduate from police academy, and I had planned to leave a few days earlier with a couple of my sons to go to virginia beach, and we hoped to be able to tour the base (I've been there several times, but my sons haven't) - I don't know what's going to happen to those plans now (we have to go there anyway because my wife bought a ticket to fly in there and meet us!), but hopefully we will still get a chance to see him. His carrier is currently in drydock, so I don't know if they'd put him on another one or not. But I hope all will pray for our sailors and soldiers and other fighting men as they are prepared for this battle against an enemy unlike any we've ever seen, and those of us left behind need to do everything we can to support them. I've always tried to put together tapes of music for my brother to have, especially when he has gone out on his 6th month duty. This is a man who has had three such tours since his son was born - that's 18 months of his son's life - and I think 2 since his daughter was born. I was already in the middle of a project putting music together for him before this happened - I hope I get it finished and out to him before he has to go anywhere. He is also a big Van Halen fan, much prefers the 78-84 era just as I do - so maybe that version can put out some new tunes for him before he has to go anywhere. And I thought of a new title for the album: Music To Kick Ass By. Take care, brother, and all the other men sworn to defend our country, too!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Village Voice has had a few good editorials this week. You might be able to view them at www.villagevoice.com

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Wow, thats a kick billy. And a great letter to boot. Tell your brother I got my flag flyin and I'd be glad to serve next to him anyday.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wow, spaceman! That is cool! [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Let your brother know we're proud of him and will be thinking of him. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

very cool story, billy [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I hope you get to see your brother soon [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<br /><br />God Bless the USA!!!!<br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

billy,

What a great letter and thanks so much for passing this on to us.

You see folks? The people that are sworn to defend our country and our freedoms are more than just a mass of faces...they are our sons, daughters, BROTHERS, sisters and family. We all need to be sure to not only fly our flags high, but take time to kneel each day and offer a prayer for our soldiers wherever they might be tonight. May God protect your brother, billy, and all of us here.

You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

CK

PS...what an incredible speech last night by our President!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ROCK ON, USA!!!
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003