Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This Forum was my idea, and it's not getting a ton of action (insert jokes here). So before Brett and the boys send the hit squad to dump me in the river, let me relate my one time on a rock and roll stage.

When I'm 17 or so, a buddy named Greg calls and says he knows my brother has a bass guitar and wants to know if he (Greg) can use it for his band to play a battle of the bands at our high school. I said I'd have to ask him, and my buddy informs me that he not only wants the bass, he wants me to play it. Now I had a guitar at the time, but I could barely play that. Greg had heard me play the riff from Crazy Train (I love that riff) and assumes from that that I can play guitar, and therefore bass.

So against my better judgement, I say yes. Now, put me in front of ten people and I clam up, but there is going to be around 400 people at this battle of the bands.

So we get together in the drummers basement to rehearse. We're going to do Gloria by Van Morrison, Cocaine by Clapton, and Highway to Hell by AC/DC. AKA, easy three chord songs. Greg shows me how to play this repeating riff for Gloria, which is the same through the whole song (or at least, our version). Now, our version of the song was about 12 minutes long, and I'd never played bass, so suffice it to say my left hand was in a ton of pain (luckily I'm right handed). Turns out we can only play 15 minutes so we dropped Gloria in favor of All Right Now by Free. Incidentally, the chorus of All Right Now is so basic, yet I couldn't play it and sing back up vocals, I was that pathetic. Oddly though, I was able to play and sing backup on the chorus of Highway to Hell.

Anyway, we rehearsed three times and then played this thing. The night before my Mom sends me and my brother out with the VISA card because I wanted a suit jacket to wear over my Levi's.

Anyway, we start with All Right Now, and when the drums kick in I do this stupid jump in the air and I'm so nervous I keep checking the volume on the bass. Then we do Cocaine (the school asked us for songs and lyrics before we played, so I'm not sure why they let us do this one). Then we ended with Highway to Hell, before which the singer says "this is a song for all you lovers out there".

When we finish, the crowd (in my memory I swear) goes nuts. Really, they probably didn't, but that's selective memory for you. The last band that played ended with Ain't Talkin Bout Love, and they were just smokin'. Then they announced the winner, and it was us. We won $250, and then we broke up on that high note and never played again. Boring story, but it's all true.

I remember they video taped this thing, but I've never seen it, and frankly I think that that's best. If I ever come across the tape, it'll be a toss up between shooting the tape or shooting myself.

BTW, the name of the band??

THIS AIN'T KANSAS, WE AIN'T DOROTHY, AND THIS AIN'T THE WIZARD OF OZ

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That is a great story! I loved it man!

------------------
    2711 Don't ever drink anything you can't see through.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

LMAO Awesome story Glenn, I especially like the idea of breaking up at the high point, I think I quit 4 (cover) bands that way

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

LOL nice story Glenn!!

------------------
    Nobody Rules These Streets at Night but me, The Atomic Punk!!!!!

"Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    LMAO man

Top Glennie, he's the King!

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

Loons
    They don't remember the place
    But they remember the face

JJ Cale did a great version of Cocaine,too.

------------------
    Check out these a here blues: www.fatpossum.com

Loons
    Speakin' of cocaine,I remember playin' in a hoops tournament with an in-house band in the corner of the gymansium. The first tune I hear 'em playin' sounds like Cale's "Cocaine." So I'm bustin' threes thinkin' this is goin' to be pretty cool.

Alas,they changed the lyrics to a christian rock song--"...whatcha gonna do,Je Sus!" Ugh!!!!!!It was awful!!!!!!

Anywayz,Glenn,was the singer talkin' about his pants gettin' lumps when the bassman thumps and jumps?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???

Rothville, Oklahalen, United States of Eat Us And Smile!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

House Of Pain
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll share my first time on stage with a band. So I'm a freshman in High School and I joined this band from my school. The guitarist was a senior and could shred. The bassist and drummer were seniors too. The rhythm player was a sophmore and at this time all I did was sing and tinker with the guitar. In this band, I'm not touching the guitar. Well, we played at this birthday party, so the house backs up to a big hill, its got ledges about fifteen feet deep each rising about six feet. I'm playing with some seniors for a friend of theirs bday who's also a senior, I'm nervous as shit. The first tune we play is Break On Through by The Doors. Now at this time, I know about Jack Shit concerning classic rock, so I had only heard what they had sung to me. So naturally I sang it wrong, not out of tune but not the same notes and phrasing as Jim. After this, I made them dub me a copy of Best Of The Doors. We did a smokin' version of Johnny B. Goode though. Singing that song was probably the highlight of my carrer as an amateur musician. The crown was pumped, they loved it, we were clickin'! It was awesome! I can't remeber ever playing in a band where everything from each member was clicking like that. Yeah, in two peice acoustic sets and stuff or power trios, but this was a full blown band. Two guitarist, bassist, drummer and singer, five peeps, hitting together. We closed that night with Born To Be Wild, and a little funny for you peeps. The previous singer had screwed up on the last chorus and come in to early. Well they gave him so much shit about it he left. They were always coming in early in rehersal and stuff, and I had seen them play when he did this, so I understood what was going on when we'd do it in rehersal. So we're closing the night, and Neil gets thru his solo, and we come in on getcher motor runnin'.... When it gets to the chorus, we all came in early, then corrected ourselves, and the bassist and rhythm player are cracking so hard they can't even finish! It was like Bor... Born To Be Wild!

------------------
    Diamond Mafia!
    It's Showtime!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

06.29.12 @ 01:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool story Glenn. I know what you mean about playing in front of 10 people and claming up.

------------------
    "Honey, arn't you gonna catch a cold dressed like that?" - Dave
    "We're not in the music business, we're in the business of making music." - Edward
    "Yeah, I saw a yard gnome once...it didn't scare me." - Space Ghost

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great stories Glenn and House!

I actually purchased some running tights, and a pirate shirt for my first time on stage, also for a talent show.

Our name was Maximum Impact, which came from a Roth quote. We did "I'm Insane" by Ratt, and "Ain't Talkin..."

I'm like Glenn, I remember the crowd and judges going apeshit for us, but some goodie twoshoes won with a lilting rendition of "Over the Rainbow"

That was the last talent show I ever did, rigged I tell you, RIGGED!

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

The first show I ever played many moons ago, I wore an old Van Halen t-shirt. I broke two strings went through three guitars and made an ass of myself. I have NEVER worn a VH shirt at a show again, superstitious.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    The first show I ever played many moons ago, I wore an old Van Halen t-shirt. I broke two strings went through three guitars and made an ass of myself. I have NEVER worn a VH shirt at a show again, superstitious.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bro, that's a story that badly needs to be told.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Loons
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1984:
    great stories! wehn i was young my mom was so proud that i could play guitar she made me play panama for everyone. i remeber being 15 and playing panama for a group of old ladies.-lol needless to say they ddin't share the same appreciation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you using the ole lines,"...and I'll get her,and her,and her, AND HER!!!?"

Great stories,fellas,and it's cool that I'm not the only superstitious mug out there...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's totally cool 1984 that you got that kind of support from yer ma! She's sounds like a great parent!

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

great stories! wehn i was young my mom was so proud that i could play guitar she made me play panama for everyone. i remeber being 15 and playing panama for a group of old ladies.-lol needless to say they ddin't share the same appreciation.

------------------
    when eddie van halen was 12 he spent long hours practicing fast finger movements, when he was 14 his parents bought him a guitar.