Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Okay, next question, what exactly is considered to be percussion? For example, 1984 says Alex Van Halen-drums, percussion and background vocals.

I always assumed that percussion was anything drum-like (sorry for getting technical) that wasn't the standard drum kit. Like bongo drums would be percussion. Hell, I always thought that if part of a track was someone stomping their feet in time to the music, that was considered percussion too.

How far off base am I here???

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A percussion is what ye get when ye bang ye head on ye floor.

OOPS--that's one of them there kong-cussions.

Technically, cymbals aren't drums, but since you whack 'em, they are percussion.

Hmmm...makes me think of a whole new name for...

I think they use 'percussion' in the liners just to make it sound a little fancier. Drummers are notorious for being at the bottom of the musical food chain. In fact, Alex has complained in the past about getting his letter from the Musician's Union that always starts out "Attention Musicians and Drummers". There has been a prevailing notion of drummers as not really being musicians, but a 'percussionist' IS considered a "real" musician.

That's my guess, anyway.

btw....are my eyes deceiving me, or did Glenn not know something???? Hot damn---hell DID freeze over!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:

btw....are my eyes deceiving me, or did Glenn not know something???? Hot damn---hell DID freeze over!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just too funny Abe! At least you didn't wright a novel about it! j/k You know! The "what is a bridge" thread. I think I dogged on you that one time before. Sorry bro.

Hey I think Glenn was just to bored when he threaded it or wanted a "response" from the drummer elite n' shit. lol ... I don't know but my guess only.

Any how everyone knows that percussion means the drums man? lol ...j/k

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two-hand tapping technique

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmmm...more 'novel' jokes. I KNOW WHEN I'M BEING INSULTED!! I KNOW WHEN I'M BEING INSULTED!!! (in my best Lucy Van Pelt voice)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some will argue there is a difference between a Percussionist and a Drummer. One being a musician, the other a...a...drummer.

Percussion includes any instrument the drummer cannot play while he/she is busy behind the kit.

Usually that means someone else is playing them live, or an overdub is used to add flavor to the overall drum recording. Such as a triangle, tamborine, or shaker.

Percussion is really like the salt and pepper of the drumming stew. It's used to add flavor and texture.

In Santana, a entire percussion section is commonly used in conjunction with the drum kit. The drummer lays a groove and the percussionists play in, around, behind and under the groove.

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paradiddle:
    Percussion includes any instrument the drummer cannot play while he/she is busy behind the kit.

Percussion is really like the salt and pepper of the drumming stew. It's used to add flavor and texture.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good work PD! I knew youd come in here sooner or later and lay down the law about percussion!

Now I completley understand, thanks bro ...

Late

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two-hand tapping technique

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Thanks guys. From Paradiddle's answer, I guess I pretty much had the right idea as to what percussion is. Thanks for the help.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

06.18.08 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone here ever try Alex's old sticks - the Regal Tip 3S models? They are LARGE - marching sticks almost. His new ones are very long, but are like the diameter of 5As - weird. Any opinions?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Some people say a piano is a percussion instrument. Others say it's a string instrument. Who the hell knows?

------------------
    http://maya.iuma.com &lt;-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 &lt;-- My Van Halen Page