Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's the deal, two weeks ago I started a new job and there is a T.V. that we get to watch while we do our job. My boss is a black guy and he's got it tuned to BET. So for the last two weeks I've gotten a massive dose of the urban hip-hop thang...and I'm starting to like it. Now, to be honest, it has taken me almost four days to get over the shock of having to listen to it and I still haven't figured out Jah-Rule but all in all the music isn't so bad.

So I started to think how I would approach hip-hop and I realized that this brach of music is wide open for the white/shredding- guitar maniac. Hell, you don't even have to be that good. The structure is basically a riff over two chords and a melody over the top. This leaves plenty of room for "noodling" and the hip-hop crowd won't care as long as they can dance to it. Plus sice they hip-hop crowd is mostly black, they are less likely to be assholes and more likely to give your music an even break. Unlike the uptight white people who tell you that guitar solos are pass'e so nobody wants to hear them.

I realize that this will go over like a lead balloon but I believe that there is an opportunity in hip-hop that doesn't seem to exist in what passes for rock these days. Kid Rock is tapping into this from one end and he's raking in the bucks but he's missing the guitar solos. He proves my point though. I think that hip-hop can be exploited by talented guitar players.

10 million black people can't be wrong.

Shit, maybe I'll do it.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"different" does not always equal "bad."

a guy i work with has a hip-hop style band. a drummer, one full-time keyboard player, three singers, and another singer that plays keys half the time. they play over loops and sequences, the drummer is pretty much doubling the sequenced rhythm track, but they are a really good band to go see at the club. really good singers, and they know their material inside and out. doesn't hurt that they draw all the honeys to their gigs...it's easy to find spaces for little riffs and random noodling, you're not going to have the guy extend a sequence on-the-fly so you can solo over it, but it's not entirely bad.

even though i despise country music, i believe that completely closing your mind to other types of music makes one "musically retarted." ain't nothing wrong with getting a little groove in there...

[ March 29, 2002 at 09:07 PM: Message edited by: twonabomber ]</p>
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight"
    Last Online

02.07.09 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To quote Jerry Seinfeld....

"Good luck with allllll that!"
    "Life sucks...get a fucking helmet!" - Denis Leary<br /><br />"Here's how I come up with my song titles...say you write a song about a chandelier...the chandelier puts out light...the light is red...red is the color you're not supposed to wear around a bull...so you call the song "Cow". - Billy Corgan

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I like hip-hop, just not gangster rap.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry about this in advance.....Wot a load of old bollocks !! Rap were invented by folks who cant sing!! Jeez its that easy to do, every sucker and his mum are doin' it....Goddam it !!

Rant over. Thank you for your time. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i definitely think that as time goes on more musical styles like hip hop are going to rely more and more on guitars. its already begun and has been quite successful, at least in the instances i've noted. while a finished Moby song maybe absent of any guitars at all, every song he writes begins on an acoustic. south side is a good example of a song with. while the guitar part is less than stellar i like to play along with it and add some flare. nelly furtado is another artist who unless you knew anything about her you wouldn't realize shes a talented guitarist. all of her songs are written on guitar also, and once you get used to her voice you really begin to appreciate all the different flavors she incorporates into her music and her guitar playing. i highly recommend downloading a vh1 special she did that was all acoustic. it is a growing trend and its met some success but only time will tell if it will really catch on and be embraced, i for one would be all for it
    cheers

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know, they said the same thing about rock and roll back in the 1950's. I'm just saying that an open mind might just fill up somebody's wallet. I haven't exectly run out and bought a bunch of hip hop albums. I just opened my mind up a little that's all.

The hip hop crowd don't seem to be as uptight as the current "rock" crowd and might be more open minded to a young hot-shot guitarist.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hip hop is to rock what rock is to classical.

it's a progressive digression into simpleton town. one day someone will just stand there on stage and do nothing.

that being said, i find equal amounts of stupidity and brilliance in all genres my self - fun stuff music is.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually, i was listening to zep today, and it occured to me page and the boys already did this.

all zep stuff is exactly as you said above.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Axxman300:
    Plus sice they hip-hop crowd is mostly black, they are less likely to be assholes and more likely to give your music an even break. Unlike the uptight white people who tell you that guitar solos are pass'e so nobody wants to hear them.
    It seems to me those who don't like guitar solos don't know how to nor really care to learn how to play them from what I have seen.

[rant]
    As for hip hop I can respect those that have real bands that actually have some sort of musical connotation from real instruments for the love of God man [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img] People spend years to learn how to play an instrument. IMO hip hop is not music and is nothing but samples and rip-offs of other people's creation played through a fucking keyboard. Sorry but you can call me pass'e and white if you like, I don't care if there are 10 or 50 million black, white or red people, it isn't music without an instrument and its not singing without a singer. Rap is the term used for it and appropriately so.
    [/rant] [img]graemlins/yell.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm not saying that you have to like it. I'm just saying that there is a potential market or sub-stratus to exploit. As far as the musical value goes: most of is is crap but there is some of it that I find interesting. Plus there are many R&B and Soul artists who've climbed under the hip hop umbrella and have found a new life. I just wonder what else will fit under there?

Look, I'm 38 years old and I've seen a bunch of stuff come and go. If somebody in 1985 played me a tape of M&M I would have hit him in the head with his boom box. I sure as hell wouldn't have believed him if he told me that this would be the big music in my then age bracket. What I'm trying to say is that there is a big gaping hole that some guitar player is going to fill and make shit loads of money. So it might as well be a good guitar player because whoever this guy is he's going to be the pop critic's darling and you are going to see his mug on the cover of all the guitar mags and in the end some of you guys will have to learn to play his stuff.

I want to put a bug in someone's ass to get them to give it a shot. This being a Van Halen board means that a certain caliber or potential caliber of player will see it.

By the way how long does a style of music become acceptable? How many millions of people have to listen to it?

It's not going away so why not make it better? Sure the musicianship blows but how many good musicians do you see beating down Death Row's door?

Did I mention the "Booty Videos"?

My Blog:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you mean like this little thing I put on a Will Smith song? All guitars by Yours truly.

Right Click and save as.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMus...writer2001.MP3
    Opinions are like Assholes, everybody's got one.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Dodge 1:
    Do you mean like this little thing I put on a Will Smith song? All guitars by Yours truly.

Right Click and save as.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ NewMusic-Forum/files/Dodge%20Music/Dodge%20and%20Will%20Smith%20%80%A0%A0%A9Braden%20 Matthews%20Songwriter2001.MP3
    That's good stuff, I like the melody line that you put in there, you make Axxman's point well. What is it that you used to record over the top of the music? I have been interested in doing something like that myslef.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks man,

I have a 16 track digital studio at home and just recorded the track then my guitar tracks and mixed them in. It takes a bit to mix but it's fun.

Dodge [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Opinions are like Assholes, everybody's got one.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

People who call music a 'product' shall rot in hell. I do believe 'exploiting the market' (quotes are mine) would fall into that category. BTW, exploiting a market will doom that market. If you haven't been to Nashville lately, you should go. Parking is free and there is plenty of it. I wonder how those bluegrassers are gonna behave when the producer brings in a drummer?