Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    320
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    being no musician at all
    i was wondering how you'd rate EVH Pianist Skills.

    the intro to 'Right now' sounds pretty cool, but is it as hard to play, say, as Eruption?

    cheers,

    -> SToRM <-



  2. #2
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    169
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Ed is a very solid piano player. With his sense for timing....forget about it!

  3. #3
    No Bozo's
    Guest
    I'd give him a "9", just cause of his badass rhythm and proggressions that come out of his piano playing ...

    ------------------
    "Broken Down 'n' Dirty Dressed in Rags" -DOA

    "Chronic Bud Smoker of VHforums" -DIF

  4. #4
    5150
    Join Date
    09.23.00
    Location
    Louisville, KY. USA
    Posts
    593
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it Later
    Last Online

    02.21.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Likes
    13
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

    I think he is an awesome pianist! I may be wrong, but I seem to remember an interview where Ed said he had won 1st prize in a piano category while he was in college. Anyone else know naything about that? Glenn?

    ------------------
    "Way down yonder in Louisville lived a cat named Big, Bad Bill..."

  5. #5
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Age
    32
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,132
    Favorite VH Album

    All
    Favorite VH Song

    Many
    Last Online

    05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    I don't play Piano, but I can listen to "Not Enough" or "Right Now" and say he is brilliant.

    ------------------
    Nobody Rules These Streets at Night but me, The Atomic Punk!!!!!

    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

    E.B.A.S

  6. #6
    No Bozo's
    Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by naturallywired:
    I think he is an awesome pianist! I may be wrong, but I seem to remember an interview where Ed said he had won 1st prize in a piano category while he was in college. Anyone else know naything about that? Glenn?

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Eddie, in high school won that prize two years in a row. As far as college was concerned he went because it was accepted by his parents. ...

    NB takes a *rip* from the bong ...

    NB takes 2 *gulps* o' weiser and thinks to himself "naturally wired" is a very, very, cool name.

    Peace ...




    ------------------
    "Broken Down 'n' Dirty Dressed in Rags" -DOA

    "Chronic Bud Smoker of VHforums" -DIF

  7. #7
    No Bozo's
    Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    I don't play Piano, but I can listen to "Not Enough" or "Right Now" and say he is brilliant.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    So did you rate him? No ...

    You can honestly say that by those two songs that he is brilliant? "Right Now" seems like an easy song, "not enough" sounds like an easy song cause it really doesn't have "fluent" flow to it. So "in that case" ...

    NB's Top 3 Piano Riffs ...

    Mine all Mine(very fast, takes some skill)
    I'll Wait(you can get "lost" on that "flow")
    Jump(it can really "stretch" your hands)

    Peace ...

    NB takes a *rip* and 3 *gulps* o 'weiser and thinks "Unchained Wolfie is going to kick my ass!" LOL ...





    ------------------
    "Broken Down 'n' Dirty Dressed in Rags" -DOA

    "Chronic Bud Smoker of VHforums" -DIF

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Age
    32
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,132
    Favorite VH Album

    All
    Favorite VH Song

    Many
    Last Online

    05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Those are all cool, but they aren't exactly the greatest piano riffs.

    For example, If Eddie played Not Enough as a piano instrumental I could sit there , and listen to it and think wow this is brilliant, but if Eddie played Jump as a piano istrumental, I would probably get bored of it quickly.

    I could call the Not Enough, and Right Now riff modern classic piano pieces (Like Beetoven, or Mozart) but I couldn't say the same about any of the songs you listed NB.



    ------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

    "Take it off, Take it all off!"

    "Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"

  9. #9
    5150
    Join Date
    07.24.00
    Location
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Posts
    647
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What about that little classical peace called new world that everyone forgets about.

    ------------------
    "Me and Jeff are going to go to the front gate and when you guys exit we're going to beat the fucking shit out of every barefoot person" Eddie Vedder (after fans were throwing their shoes on stage, hitting the band)

    "Their aren't that many true music fans out there and the ones that are, are usually musicians"

  10. #10
    No Bozo's
    Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Those are all cool, but they aren't exactly the greatest piano riffs.

    For example, If Eddie played Not Enough as a piano instrumental I could sit there , and listen to it and think wow this is brilliant, but if Eddie played Jump as a piano istrumental, I would probably get bored of it quickly.

    I could call the Not Enough, and Right Now riff modern classic piano pieces (Like Beetoven, or Mozart) but I couldn't say the same about any of the songs you listed NB.



    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hmmm ... UW, your right

    Those "are" piano(if played as instrumentals) peices that I too would consider "Mozartique".

    I guess I forgot what a piano sounded like and a synthezizer. LOL

    Good call and very well written.









    ------------------
    "Broken Down 'n' Dirty Dressed in Rags" -DOA

    "Chronic Bud Smoker of VHforums" -DIF

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Age
    32
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,132
    Favorite VH Album

    All
    Favorite VH Song

    Many
    Last Online

    05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No Bozo's:
    Hmmm ... UW, your right

    Those "are" piano(if played as instrumentals) peices that I too would consider "Mozartique".

    I guess I forgot what a piano sounded like and a synthezizer. LOL

    Good call and very well written.







    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Thanks NB



    ------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

    "Take it off, Take it all off!"

    "Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"

  12. #12
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Age
    32
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,132
    Favorite VH Album

    All
    Favorite VH Song

    Many
    Last Online

    05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAFTER:
    What about that little classical peace called new world that everyone forgets about.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Neworld was played on acoustic guitar, not piano.



    ------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

    "Take it off, Take it all off!"

    "Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"

  13. #13
    Beloved Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.16.99
    Posts
    16,192
    Last Online

    02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post


    Donor

    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Unchained Wolfie:
    Neworld was played on acoustic guitar, not piano.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, there is piano in it, but Mike Post plays it, Eddie just plays the guitar. In light of Respect The Wind, it would have been cool to have had Alex play the piano on Neworld.



    ------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

  14. #14
    No Bozo's
    Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Yeah, there is piano in it, but Mike Post plays it, Eddie just plays the guitar. In light of Respect The Wind, it would have been cool to have had Alex play the piano on Neworld.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Word Glenn,

    Ya know, I forget sometimes how gifted Alex is? And your right! Alex should have played that tune.

    Or maybe they tried it and AL couldn't hit the "take"(A studio term when recording) LOL ...

    Must have been a "WB's" Thang ...

    *drag*
    *swig*

    ------------------
    "Broken Down 'n' Dirty Dressed in Rags" -DOA

    "Chronic Bud Smoker of VHforums" -DIF



    [This message has been edited by No Bozo's (edited November 14, 2000 at 02:09 AM).]

  15. #15
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Location
    europe
    Posts
    320
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I didn't know Alex played piano too!

    woaw, is there any Instrument left the VanHalen Bros don't know how to play?

    cya

    SToRM

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Rate your lovemaking skills
    By Eddymon in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07.12.05, 05:42 PM
  2. Rate my theory.
    By bobthyfan in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09.30.02, 01:27 PM
  3. nhl skills challenge
    By Edward Van Halen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02.25.01, 03:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •