Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

...and I'd be very curious to know if anyone else here has been in a band that's appeared on a radio show before. No one in my band had ever done this before today, and man is it a weird experience...

Bob Coburn is the host of the weekly show 'Rockline', and his "day job" is hosting the morning show for the San Francisco AOR FM station KSAN, currently known as "The Bone". They occasionally have local bands come in to play bumper music for the traffic reports, and this morning we went down and played.

They put us into a small room adjacent to the control room, with a window between. The control room had a killer poster of Jimmy Page playing the double-neck at the Chicago 77 show where he's wearing the German WWII hat and boots. The room we were in had a huge, horseshoe-shaped desk sitting right in the center taking up at least 50% of the floor space. There were BIG servers, ADATs & other audio rack equipment strewn all over the desktop, making it tough for us to see one another. It was like playing in a janitor's closet! Just down the hall from this room was KNBR (the Giants flagship station) and the Ticket 1050 (the Raiders flagship station); between songs we occupied our breaks by checking out the millions of TVs and sports-related publications that these two sports stations have for their employees & guests.

Playing an event like this has a very awkward flow if you're not used to it. We had no monitors - just a boombox that we had to keep low. We didn't use it very much, so I didn't actually hear how our playing fit into the context of the show until I listened to the tapes after the show. Another oddity: as the singer, I had nothing to do...we played purely instrumentals because we were bumper music. All I did was provide an occasional cue and be a silent conductor of sorts.

When I reviewed the tapes it was gratifying that Bob & his co-host Gina had talked us up beyond our expectations. In the past I've tuned in for other bands and oftentimes their place in the overall radio show felt pretty dog-n-pony. Their websites were not strongly plugged and I never caught another band get to play a large segment of a song without being talked over. This happened for us twice, when Bob gave us an extended snippet of "Unchained" without interruption, and then again during Trower's "Too Rolling Stoned". During our final hour they plugged all our shows and our website on each break - something the other bands I tuned in for did not get. After we were done and breaking down, Bob offered us one of the three band slots they have available for their upcoming 'Bridge To Bridge' distance run that they're sponsoring. As is our luck, we have another show scheduled that day [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

The biggest pain about doing something like this is lugging a big band rig up - and then down - 11 floors in a tiny freight elevator. Other than that, I'd say that despite the adversity it was worth it. Just the experience of it all makes it a cool story. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

So now I'm curious to hear if anyone else that hangs out here has done something like this, and whether or not their experience was comparable. Swap notes, if you will...

[img]smile.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To List
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

...apparently no one else here has had this experience...boy do I feel special. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Real Deal
    <a href="http://www.the-real-deal.com/index.htm" target="_blank">The Real Deal</a> does old VH better than any other band in the SF Bay Area. Hearing is believing...