Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    VoodooQueen
    I did and still wish I knew how to play. They just look a lot more fun but are way more expensive than guitar.
    When I graduate I'm going to get a kit I think. So I'd appreciate any advice from drummers who can share beginner tips and what kits are good.

------------------
    "Van Halen is a band-not the Sammy Hagar show, not the Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen or Michael Anthony show. We could be called Piss for all I care, but we are a band" -Edward Van Halen

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here are some things I have picked up over my years as a fill-in drummer.

1) Use a pair of DS(drumstiks) that fit your style. I guess just what you feel comfortable with.

2) When learning songs, what I learned from my first drummer is to play with a set of headphones playing the song as you jam out with it.

3) Always practice the RLRRL technique which is a standard drum tecnique or so I hear from the real drummers around here Paradiddle and Top Timmy. You might want to check with them first cause I don't even know if mine is the right one but something to that effect.

----

G4

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

Well, let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look kids!? Woah!!!

G4 guitar player files are at www.freedrive.com and the username and password there are vhlinks. *My* song is under No Bozo's(scents).

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Single paradiddle) RLRR LRLL
    Double paradiddle) RLRLRR LRLRLL

------------------
    VHLinks.com Graphics Dude
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    VHForums.com "This is home, the only one I know" BFFF

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VoodooQueen:
    I did and still wish I knew how to play. They just look a lot more fun but are way more expensive than guitar.
    When I graduate I'm going to get a kit I think. So I'd appreciate any advice from drummers who can share beginner tips and what kits are good.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I've been playing drums since I was eight years old. Partly because my family was always into music etc since before I was born. But as for as some advice as to what to get, just get something cheap but not a piece of total crap. You'll be able to find out real quick if you can play along with albums etc. Rythem wise that is. As you continue to play etc, you'll find that most of your money will be spent on cymbals. Don't skimp on your cymbals, because the real good ones make a difference. Zildjian, and Paiste are what I have. But something else you might consider is checking out places like Musician's Friend, or East Coast Music Mall. Drums In The Wind is another place you might call. These places always have good deals for beginners. Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck, and have fun. Out.

VoodooQueen
    Thanks guys-lots of very helpful info here!
    Now for some more specific questions.
    1. Differences in drumsticks. What does the 3A or 3B mean?
    2. What is Al doing at the beginning of Panama?
    3. How often do you have to replace heads?

------------------
    "Van Halen is a band-not the Sammy Hagar show, not the Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen or Michael Anthony show. We could be called Piss for all I care, but we are a band" -Edward Van Halen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey VQ! Glad to hear you'll be joining our ranks! I think T5 nailed it with the suggestion of getting a cheap ass set of drums, and splurging on cymbals. I've had my Ride for 20 fucking years. It's been through 3 different kits. Shells are easy to pick up used, but get the most you can spend on hardware and cymbals. You shouldn't need to spend much to get a 4 or 5 piece kit with stands for Hi Hat and two cymbals (crash, ride).

The other idea of playing with headphones is great. Not only do you get to play with your favorite band, but you'll get good metronome practice that won't drive ya nuts.

Check out www.drumbum.com for online lessons in rudiments (RLRR LRLL) and such. Great site for beginers.

Sticks: How big are you? Do you have huge hands? (No I'm straight, thank you) That will determine what size stick. I'd start with a 5A or the Vic Firth SD1 General. Great mid size sticks for starters.

You're on your way, and always remember to play for yourself, not someone else! You dig?

------------------
    RLRR LRLL

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

I never wanted to play drums before - too much hassle - but I've always loved drums and rhythm and have always done own thing with it
    via electronics. But I played some V drums tonight and even though I've heretofore been worthless behind a kit, found it very therapeutic to get
    this ostinato groove going and otherwise beat the shit out of things! I am still buzzing from it and excited about doing it again tomorrow.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I did. I loved the drums when I was a little kid. Unfortuneatly I lived in an apartment, so drums would'nt be a very popular choice. I still loved guitar. Thank God guitar gear was where it was when I picked it up. You could still get a pretty bitchin' sound out of a practice amp even at bedroom levels. If the digital realm was where it's at today though, I probably would have gotten an electronic kit and stuck with it. When I'm not out playing and I'm writing, I use an old Yamaha drum machine to work out rhythms.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hmm... not so sure we needed to resurrect this dinosaur thread.