Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not the greatest musician by any means so can someone explain to me what a bridge is or how about all the parts of a song.

Just tryin to give this place some life

------------------
    "It makes much more sense to live in the present tense" Eddie Vedder

"Their aren't that many true music fans out there and the ones that are, are usually musicians" Kurt Cobain

"I dont know whats going to happen but I want to have my kicks, before the whole shithouse goes up in flames" Jim Morrrison

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've always understood, the bridge connects the verse and chorus of a song. For example, in Hot For Teacher the bridge would be where Dave sings, "I think of all the education that I've missed, but then my homework was never quite like this." Like I said, this is what I think the concept of a bridge is. I might be totally wrong though. Anybody else wanna take a shot at this?

------------------
    VHLinks.com Graphics Dude
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    VHForums.com "This is home, the only one I know"

[This message has been edited by Top Timmy (edited December 03, 2000 at 02:36 PM).]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Top Timmy:
    From what I've always understood, the bridge connects the verse and chorus of a song. For example, in Hot For Teacher the bridge would be where Dave sings, "I think of all the education that I've missed, but then my homework was never quite like this." Like I said, this is what I think the concept of a bridge is. I might be totally wrong though. Anybody else wanna take a shot at this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't that be the prechorus?

------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

"Take it off, Take it all off!"

"Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In 'pop' music, meaning anything that is not traditional or 'functional', what you're dealing with is a song. Songs may take various forms, but in general, there are only 2 main types: One continuous chorus, or an alternation of verse-chorus.

Dealing with just these 2 main parts, the "body" as it were, a verse is where the 'story' is told, usually by 1 (one) singer, and will change from one verse to the next. The chorus is the 'focus' of the song, often sung by many (a 'chorus' or 'choir'), and it gives direction and purpose to the song. The chorus is usually repeated verbatim each time it comes around-an air of familiarity. In other words, the verses build musical tension (possibly lyrical as well) and the chorus RESOLVES that tension.

Since we have only 12 notes in our modern equal-tempered system, there are only so many chords and progressions for a given key, songs often become redundant. To break up the monotony, or simply to provide variation, a BRIDGE is often used. The word itself is a poor choice, but we've grown accustomed to it. A bridge is a marked change in the music; often a key change, motif change, tempo, dynamic, etc etc. It serves the function of breaking away from the established body of the song with the intent of returning back to it, albeit this time from a new point of departure.

In classical music, within sonata form (don't worry about what that is exactly) there are typically 2 main themes and something called a 'development' or 'fragmentation', where the main themes are twisted into something new, often times wandering through various keys and their regions, finally coming back to the body (or exposition) once more. In rock, this development often comes in the form of a guitar solo, although many times the solo is actually unrelated to the rest of the work, thereby being more of a 'bridge' than anything else.

The easiest way to identify the bridge is simply to listen to a song, and wait for a MARKED change in its feel. Not all songs have bridges; so there won't always be this change. The Beatles, when they were still writing 'songs' (as opposed to being 'artistic') had probably the most obvious bridges. For example, listen to 'Ticket to Ride'...when the lyrics change to "I don't know why she's riding so high...." THAT is a bridge. Since this is a Van Halen forum, listen to 'Why Can't This Be Love'...when Sammy and Eddie go into the scat sections (before and after the guitar break), THAT is the bridge.

As was mentioned by someone else above, if a little section of a song comes between the verses and choruses, it is a 'pre-chorus'. This is not to be confused with a bridge. A bridge is a complete musical thought unto itself, whereas a pre-chorus is simply a 'tag' added to the verse to build momentum into the chorus. Not all songs have these (Runnin' With The Devil does NOT, Jump DOES have a pre-chorus--'can't you see me standing here i got my back against the record machine.......').

In most hard rock and heavy metal, (nobody get offended here please), there isn't much of a 'song'-instead, you get a riff or two crammed down your throat, but not the tension and release of a 'true song'. There ARE exceptions of course, but in general, if you want to understand song structures more thoroughly, you're better off listening to adult contemporary or country, as those genres are VERY song-oriented. Older Van Halen was generally riff dominated, whereas the Sammy era (Gary too) was song oriented. Those who think the later incarnations were weak, fluffy, bloated, or too commercial are simply judging things based on their idea of what is cool, which, to them, is RIFF RIFF RIFF. Song oriented music is more sophisticated, with the inventiveness coming in the shape of melody, texture, and style instead of the next 'Smoke on the Water' or 'Enter Sandman' riff. I am not going to say which is better, as that is a matter of taste. By the way, "Enter Sandman" is a prime example of riffs being used within a very concise and cohesive song structure, essentially being both riff- and song-oriented. 'Humans Being', although dominated by that one main riff, is still very much song oriented in its all its rocking glory.

Beyond the main parts of a song (verse, chorus, bridge, and pre-chorus {to a lesser degree}), you are sure to find many examples of songs that have parts that fit into NONE of these categories. [progressive rock is notorious for this] Again, you aren't dealing with a 'song' as much as an altogether new (and therefore undefined) musical form. I'm not suggesting that they are lesser creations, but their sections aren't as clearly delineated. So feel free to label those parts however you so choose; just keep in mind that the chorus and verse sections are the defining points of a song, and everything else is ornamentation. This includes intros, interludes, outros, rideouts, etc. These are useful tools as long as they do not distract the listener too far from the heart of the song.

To conclude, I will say something that to many will be considered blasphemy, but it explains why parents and grandparents consider newer music to be noise. --- It ain't music, it's only rock and roll.--- I'm not agreeing with that view very much, but there IS some truth to it. Since we learn, as humans, to acquire new knowledge but organize it according to OLD knowledge, anything too far outside that realm is unrecognizable, and in the case of sound, if you can't decipher it, it must be noise. I am as guilty of this as anyone--I think ALL of the grunge, alternative, post-alternative, rap, rap-metal, etc etc, IS nothing but a bunch of meaningless, noisy drivel, delivered by a bunch of freaks claiming to be artists. I do not hear anything resembling music, only a lot of raw energy, drug abuse, or a drum beat. Many people judge music SOLELY by its beat-therefore, a Mozart symphony lacking in percussion would NOT be good music to them.

To each his own I guess. And for any of you that read all of this, I thank you for your time and patience, as I realize I rambled a bit. However, to gain a fuller understanding of the mechanics of music, it is going to take a lot of time, study, and practice, just as learning how to play does.

No Bozo's
    Abe I didn't read that novel ... LOL

A bridge is the part that hooks the ending of a chorus into the verse? No clue here kids ...

NB lights up a *J*, takes a drag, then puffs a little more then a little more til' it's done.

------------------
    *StonedWeiserKing*

*ChronicBudSmoker of VHForums*

*Broken Down 'n Dirty Dressed in Rags*

*This is Home, It's the Only One I Know*

"It's all about the posts!" -NB on #1000

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See, I told ya. WTF do I know.

------------------
    VHLinks.com Graphics Dude
    VHForums.com "This is home, the only one I know"

No Bozo's
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No Bozo's:

A bridge is the part that hooks the ending of a chorus into the verse? No clue here kids ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wait!, ... I think I may have it here but still no clue.

It's the part usually after the solo that connects it with the verse. When coming out of solos you usually go into the chorus. This part is the bridge!

------------------
    *StonedWeiserKing*

*ChronicBudSmoker of VHForums*

*Broken Down 'n Dirty Dressed in Rags*

*This is Home, It's the Only One I Know*

"It's all about the posts!" -NB on #1000

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    I think ALL of the grunge, alternative, IS nothing but a bunch of meaningless, noisy drivel, delivered by a bunch of freaks claiming to be artists. I do not hear anything resembling music, only a lot of raw energy, drug abuse, or a drum beat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, i'd like to know some of your favorite bands... bands that play "real" music.

When you say that alternative rock is just noise what do you mean? Is it worse than classical rock in your opinion. (in a traditional music sense)

I would love to hear your take on Pearl Jam (from a traditional music view). Have you heard Pearl Jams newer stuff, from reading your post you would probably like it. (maybe)

------------------
    "It makes much more sense to live in the present tense" Eddie Vedder

"Their aren't that many true music fans out there and the ones that are, are usually musicians" Kurt Cobain

"I dont know whats going to happen but I want to have my kicks, before the whole shithouse goes up in flames" Jim Morrrison

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can ya take me to the bridge?
    --James Brown

Life is but a bridge but build no home on it.
    --Robert Plant

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have the answer to this one? Don't make me go look it up in the dictionary.

------------------
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two-hand tapping technique

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eyes of the Night:
    Does anyone have the answer to this one? Don't make me go look it up in the dictionary.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read Abe's post

------------------
    Check out my web page! http://www.geocities.com/ncblum85/Nicks_Page.html

"Take it off, Take it all off!"

"Lord, Lord strike that poor boy down!!"

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks UC, like you reminded me to read what I skipped over. I wasn't about to read that novel the first time I looked at it.

Hey BTW UC remember that guy NB?

I will never wear the wolfgang tag now that you always have it. Cool UI

Self to note: That last sentence I just said makes me wonder if that was too deep?

------------------

"It's like somebody stealing your car and coming back the next week saying, hey check out my new car!" -EVH talkin' bout his two-hand tapping technique

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think this is a lot easier than you guys think. The bridge is the part of the song that is thrown in there to break it up. It usually happens right before the last chorus, or before the last verse/chorus.

Lots of times it happens right after or right before a solo, and sometimes it IS the solo.

For example:

In Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, it's the "I been to the edge/And there I stood and looked down..." part.

In Panama, it's the "Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight" part.

In Right Now, it's part before Eddie's solo when Sammy sings, "Said a lie to me/Right now/What are ya waitin' for?"

In Can't Stop Lovin' You, it's the "I'm so twisted and tied" part.

Any questions??

------------------
    http://maya.iuma.com &lt;-- My Stuff
    http://www.vhvault.com/1989 &lt;-- My Van Halen Page

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No Bozo's:

It's the part usually after the solo that connects it with the verse. When coming out of solos you usually go into the chorus. This part is the bridge.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Synthy:

Lots of times right after or right before a solo, and sometimes it Is the solo.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I was right then? Okay UW takes notes.

Uhm? He thought I didn't know what a bridge was.

Thanks LS for putting it into VH terms that we all can understand.

Kick-Ass post BTW ...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Eyes of the Night (edited January 04, 2001 at 10:17 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Eyes of the Night (edited January 05, 2001 at 02:03 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:48 PM
    Liked 11,542 Times in 4,917 Posts

Some more VH bridges:

It can be said that Eddie's two solos in "Runnin' With The Devil" are bridges.

The "She's been in love before..." part in "Jamie's Cryin'".

The cool little instrumental and the "Woo woos" before Ed's solo in "Somebody Get Me A Doctor".

The real cool phase-shifted chords before the solo in "Mean Street".

The keyboards part after the guitar solo in "Jump" could be seen as a bridge too.

Just some more for ya.

------------------
    Webmaster
    http://www.vhlinks.com