Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.29.08 @ 03:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was amazed that no one had started a thread on this yet. For those who saw it, what did you think?
    believe the lies...there is no truth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I thought that it was perfect and that he answered excactly what we, as a nation need to know at this time. I'm always not too happy about participating in the political threads around here, so I won't be specific. Regardless, I think that he made his point. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] I support him.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea, I generally don't get involved in politics here either in general, but I also think that he did a really good job. I think he got across the fact that he hasn't made a final decision and the ball is in Saddam's court.
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

From what little I saw I thought Bush sounded good. He answered all the questions appropriately and sounded very confident and firm about what the U.S. and the world expects from Saddam Hussein, and what we will do if he does not disarm. I'm not going to say I know alot about the whole situation, because I don't, but if President Bush says that we must go to war to help keep the U.S. and the rest of the world safe in the future then I am behind him and our troops 100%. After what happened on Sept. 11th 2001, I am not going to question the President when he is doing what he thinks is right in order to protect us.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

The one thing that stuck out to me was the question about when/if we attack, will we give people a chance to leave/get out...ie: UN inspectors.

Then it hit me...but only for a moment.

What if Saddam decided to "allow" the inspectors to stay a little longer and denied them access out of Baghdad?

Then I thought...nah. I don't think it'd happen. Saddam wouldn't want to sway world opinion over to the evil US with something as brash as that.

From what I saw though, we heard a President full of conviction, passion and dedication to protecting Americans. He wasn't as direct in some of his answers as I would have been, but then again, he knows how to play the game better than I do.

There were a lot of pointed and pretty hard questions that I actually thought needed to be answered and most of the time, I thought he answered them in a consistent fashion.

Sad to say though, I give it less than 2 weeks. Maybe less than 1. [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Does anyone else think that when the air campaign begins and the skies rain down with 10x the firepower of Desert Storm's first night, that this whole "battle" will be overwith within a few weeks? Some rather confident analysts seem to think so.
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the statement portion was spoken very slowly and deliberately...and his answers were mostly repeated from the statement. still can't pronounce "nuclear," either...

i have a pretty good idea Bush knows exactly when the bombs will drop, even though he said he doesn't have any plans yet. there's no way we moved all those people and all that gear over there to just end up bringing them all home without seeing any action.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Panama Dog:
    From what little I saw I thought Bush sounded good. He answered all the questions appropriately and sounded very confident and firm about what the U.S. and the world expects from Saddam Hussein, and what we will do if he does not disarm. I'm not going to say I know alot about the whole situation, because I don't, but if President Bush says that we must go to war to help keep the U.S. and the rest of the world safe in the future then I am behind him and our troops 100%. After what happened on Sept. 11th 2001, I am not going to question the President when he is doing what he thinks is right in order to protect us.
    That pretty much sums up how I feel completely. I am very liberal when it comes to environmental and social issues. When it comes to our national security though, I am so happy to have that man as The President Of The United States Of America. I think that he pretty much put it on the line, the fact that no matter what is P.C. with wannabe hippies. There is a threat to our nation domestically and Iraq (Under the dictatorship of Saddam Insane) has ignored the rules for far too long. There is a fuckin' threat to our way of life, who seriously expected that they would ever witness The Towers fall? It changed my prospective forever. If we have to go in there and ultimately go to war, I am one that will support it wholeheartedly.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by rebel78:
    Yea, I generally don't get involved in politics here either in general, but I also think that he did a really good job. I think he got across the fact that he hasn't made a final decision and the ball is in Saddam's court.
    He hasn't made a final decision??? [img]graemlins/brickwall.gif[/img]
    I think he made the decision about the middle of last year pal........

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Cabo Kid:
    Does anyone else think that when the air campaign begins and the skies rain down with 10x the firepower of Desert Storm's first night, that this whole "battle" will be overwith within a few weeks? Some rather confident analysts seem to think so.
    I think the thing is what do we do after, especially if we go at it alone. The battle would be pretty swift I think, as long as we don't let it get bogged down into a house-by-house urban fight. If we go to war by by ourselves we'll have to clean it up by ourselves (policing, new government, disarment) and we'd have to finance it by ourselves, but if that what it takes, I say do it.
    <a href="http://www.vhvault.com/~rebel" target="_blank">The Coolest VH Trade Site on the Net!!</a>

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ou812max:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panama Dog:
    That pretty much sums up how I feel completely. I am very liberal when it comes to environmental and social issues. When it comes to our national security though, I am so happy to have that man as The President Of The United States Of America. I think that he pretty much put it on the line, the fact that no matter what is P.C. with wannabe hippies. There is a threat to our nation domestically and Iraq (Under the dictatorship of Saddam Insane) has ignored the rules for far too long. There is a fuckin' threat to our way of life, who seriously expected that they would ever witness The Towers fall? It changed my prospective forever. If we have to go in there and ultimately go to war, I am one that will support it wholeheartedly. </font>[/QUOTE]The towers had nothing to do with Iraq buddy.....despite some serious attempts to link it to them - Iraq couldn't mount a serious threat to one of its neighbours at the moment, much less America.
    There's a 2 trillion dollar civil lawsuit being waged on behalf of Americans who lost loved ones in 9/11 against some Saudi 'charities' and even a member of the royal family ....and the guys on the planes were almost all Saudi. Why not attack them??
    I know, Iraq has WMD, Hussein's a dictator etc etc......then again, so is Mushareff, and he's cool......right??
    Sorry, I'm not buying it, unlike our damn Prime Minister.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Bush didn't say anything of substance that hasn't already been said. I do rather like the bit about not having decided to go to war yet. We don't pay to move 250,000 troops, expended diplomatic massive capital, and stage prime-time news briefings for something we "might" do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kenny, this has both everything and nothing to do with 9/11. Not in a real-world sense, but definately in the realpolitik sense. It's leverage, and is being used as such to sway domestic opinion.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can\'t This Be Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He sounded like a broken record and dodged the tough questions from journalists.
    He has an IQ of 91, exactly half of Clinton's.
    Right now, rock n' roll needs a swift kick in the...<br /><br />"Gimme a bottle o' anything... and a glazed donut... to go!"

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Bush didn't say anything of substance that hasn't already been said. I do rather like the bit about not having decided to go to war yet. We don't pay to move 250,000 troops, expended diplomatic massive capital, and stage prime-time news briefings for something we "might" do. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kenny, this has both everything and nothing to do with 9/11. Not in a real-world sense, but definately in the realpolitik sense. It's leverage, and is being used as such to sway domestic opinion.
    Yes I take your point, MikeL.....I was just trying to say that 9/11 has been used as a pretext to launch the so called 'war on terror', (I like to call it the hydra war) and of course some action had to be taken - but against the financiers of the atrocity??
    Uh-uh, go with the old Iraq chestnut, and the way Bush, Rumsfeld, Powell, Blair, and our own John Howard have been so desperately trying to justify it and make some kind of case that Iraq is an imminent danger has disgusted me.
    It is a nonsense.

And perhaps worst of all, Bush has created this global relations view that "You're either with us or against us" - leading to claims of "un-Americanism", or "Unpatriotism" or the like, if you don't support this war!!

I've even seen the word "Un-American" used in our own Parliament for christ's sake!!!!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think you missed my point, Max. Things are going on without any justification beyond "because of 9/11," as though that's all that needs to be said. I'm sorry, but 9/11 was a tragedy, not a catch-all excuse to justify someone's irrational fear. There has to be some real, tangible results from the actions we take. Classifying a model rocket engine as an explosive doesn't make you or I any safer in any way.

I'm honestly amazed at how people attempt to justify things by using 9/11. Someone above said something about supporting Bush no matter what, because of 9/11. Now how does that make any sense at all? The President gets a pass on absolutely everything because of 9/11? That's ridiculous. It's insulting, and it degrades the freedoms and responsibilities that are vital to a functioning democracy. In my opinion the most important responsibility any of us bear is to learn about the issues, and put some thought into considering them. That's what leads to effective policy. Supporting knee-jerk reactions by saying "because of 9/11," and expecting that to explain away all concern is silly.

Maybe that's a little too idealistic, but it's at the heart of the matter. The 9/11 victims died because the terrorists blindly believed and supported their leaders. They didn't have the conviction or ability to question what they were told, and were eager to believe it without any real consideration. That kind of blind obedience is what is really un-American, and it goes on here in the US--on both sides of the issue--as well.

[ March 07, 2003, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: MikeL ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    Supporting knee-jerk reactions by saying "because of 9/11," and expecting that to explain away all concern is silly.
    OK, now I get your point and I agree completely. That was a truly great post and that is why I normally try to stay the hell out of the political threads on this board. I get too emotional and really don't read exactly what someone is saying. I do have to say though, and I believe that I am repeating myself. But, you are one smart and educated MOFO and I truly respect your political opinions around here. It seems that when I read these threads you seem to represent my opinions far better than I could ever do in a conversation and I truly enjoy reading them. Enough suck ass? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Seriously, I respect how well you are able to express what I would like to say and don't have the patience or guts to do. Hats off to ya. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

[ March 07, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Ou812max ]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!